Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

boz posted:

I'd kill for a final fantasy cart game

Given Square-Enix's track record I'm sure there's a few of them on mobile phones in Japan, with some kind of incomprehensible title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

Having a mascot that people care about/are nostalgic for and a deep lineup of characters to back them up is kind of a prerequisite, and sadly only a handful of companies fit that criteria. Sonic and Mario still have the biggest fanbases by a mile, and even then it's Mario >>>>>>>>>> Sonic >>> everyone else :shobon:

Is it wrong that I would buy the poo poo out of Final Fantasy Kart?

E: oh beaten twice

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Help Im Alive posted:

Is it wrong that I would buy the poo poo out of Final Fantasy Kart?

E: oh beaten twice

But what would Cid look like?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

boz posted:

I'd kill for a final fantasy cart game

Why resort to murder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocobo_Racing

BTW,

quote:

At Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference on June 15, 2010, a new Chocobo Racing title, tentatively titled Codename: Chocobo Racing 3D, was announced for the Nintendo 3DS handheld system.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
The fact that we all went there immediately guarantees at least 500k copies sold*

*On PS3 or 360

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Crowbear posted:

Having a mascot that people care about/are nostalgic for and a deep lineup of characters to back them up is kind of a prerequisite, and sadly only a handful of companies fit that criteria. Sonic and Mario still have the biggest fanbases by a mile, and even then it's Mario >>>>>>>>>> Sonic >>> everyone else :shobon:

I'd say that it is a prerequisite for a far less risky type of success, but that is also true about any IP. New IP always carries greater risk. An already established brand/mascot is not something that is required to succeed though.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Wow I forgot all about that game. Never did get to play it, any good?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember when devs of all consoles tried to tap into the 3D mascot platformer market, Blink on Xbox, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, many others whose names I have forgotten...

The only successful ones besides Mario and Sonic are probably Crash, Spyro, Sly Cooper, Jak, Ratchet and Rayman.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

boz posted:

It's really mediocre.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

boz posted:

Haha no it was poo poo just like most kart racers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

I remember when devs of all consoles tried to tap into the 3D mascot platformer market, Blink on Xbox, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, many others whose names I have forgotten...

The only successful ones besides Mario and Sonic are probably Crash, Spyro, Sly Cooper, Jak, Ratchet and Rayman.

In an atmosphere that is highly innovative and competitive, you will always miss more than you hit. This is still the best kind of atmosphere though. :)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

CRASH TEAM RACING FOR LIFE

oh and I guess Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed too

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

So apparently the Dolphin emulator can force anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering on Wii titles. Why can't Nintendo do that in Wii mode? :(

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

flare posted:

So apparently the Dolphin emulator can force anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering on Wii titles. Why can't Nintendo do that in Wii mode? :(

Same reason why the PS3 doesn't make PS2 games look like they do on PCSX2

:retrogames: + :effort:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Policenaut posted:

Yep CTR is probably the best there's ever been followed by the original Mario Kart, Sonic and Wacky Wheels.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Policenaut posted:

CTR was awesome. I'm bummed Naughty Dog broke their tradition and didn't do Unkarted.

flare posted:

Dolphin makes Wii games look Real Nice.

The Wii U can't do it because it isn't really emulating anything, it's just straight booting up a Wii because Nintendo basically threw all the parts in the Wii U.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

flare posted:

I think it does. But could be wrong. I know it does something!

Experimenting with my recent Xenoblades purchase between my wii and wii-u. I notice a definite visual improvement when playing on the wii-u. There is some fuzzyness that smooths out the jagginess. However if you sit close to the TV (like 2 to 3 feet away) it kind of just makes the game look blurry. But from 4ft plus it looks better than when I'm running on the wii.

However, I find that the wii-u runs the game a bit darker. The colors don't seem as vibrant when in wii mode compared to running on the wii.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kilazar posted:

I think it does. But could be wrong. I know it does something!

Experimenting with my recent Xenoblades purchase between my wii and wii-u. I notice a definite visual improvement when playing on the wii-u. There is some fuzzyness that smooths out the jagginess. However if you sit close to the TV (like 2 to 3 feet away) it kind of just makes the game look blurry. But from 4ft plus it looks better than when I'm running on the wii.

However, I find that the wii-u runs the game a bit darker. The colors don't seem as vibrant when in wii mode compared to running on the wii.

How is your Wii connected to the TV? If you're using A/V cables then it could just be the difference between 480i and 480p. Wii Mode is running the same software on the same hardware as a Wii, there's no post-processing or anything like that.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My wii is connected via the 480p cables. Both inputs are calibrated to the exact same settings (in regards to picture quality and color settings etc)

I wish I could record video cause I'm not crazy. There is a significant visual difference between them. Does it help to note that my wii is a luanch wii? Not sure if there were hardware revisions that might have improved the graphics marginally from launch to EOL.

Or maybe my tv is doing some post processing over the hdmi *shrugs* I don't think it can though as it's a stupidly old 42" lcd.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 9, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
It's probably just that the Wii U has a better scaler than your TV does. With the Wii the TV gets a 480p image and upscales it to 1080p, in Wii Mode (using HDMI) the image is upscaled to 1080p before it's sent out so the TV doesn't have to do anything with it. It can definitely make a difference on some TVs.

Still, it's got nothing on playing Xenoblade or the Galaxy games in Dolphin rendered at 1080p with full on AA. That's like a whole different experience :getin:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Crowbear posted:

It's probably just that the Wii U has a better scaler than your TV does. With the Wii the TV gets a 480p image and upscales it to 1080p, in Wii Mode (using HDMI) the image is upscaled to 1080p before it's sent out so the TV doesn't have to do anything with it. It can definitely make a difference on some TVs.

Still, it's got nothing on playing Xenoblade or the Galaxy games in Dolphin rendered at 1080p with full on AA. That's like a whole different experience :getin:

Please tell me more? What kind of power do I need on my PC to do this? I'm rocking an i5 3Ghz with 8 gig ram and an SSD. And I can just use my xenoblades disk right? No messing with :filez:? Cause I don't like messing with :filez:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Big reason people are missing on why Sonic Transformed sold well: $39.99

Darksiders II is still $59.99 last I saw. Like what the gently caress?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Darksiders II is still $59.99 last I saw. Like what the gently caress?

Considering I never bought it (Darksiders II)for the xbox, I'm ok with paying full price on it. I plan to purchase this after zombieu. Add in all the DLC and to me at least it is well worth the 60 bones. If I had gotten it on the xbox at release, I would never have bought the DLC. I have no faith in MS keeping my digital purchases available the way steam does, so I never bought into the DLC thing.

I have even less faith in Nintendo, so again, I don't buy DLC or eShop things.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kilazar posted:

Please tell me more? What kind of power do I need on my PC to do this? I'm rocking an i5 3Ghz with 8 gig ram and an SSD. And I can just use my xenoblades disk right? No messing with :filez:? Cause I don't like messing with :filez:

Dolphin is so rad it has its own thread :toot:

And no :filez: necessary.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's a good point actually. I totally forgot about that.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Thanks! I'll head on over there and see how to get my 1080p Xenoblades goodness.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Crowbear posted:

I think he was asking about this, more or less:

Gyoru posted:

Do I have to rip Wii games into ISO/CISO/GCM/GCZs? Can't I play them from my DVD drive?
  • Yes, but it's highly recommended that you play an image from your HDD. The latency and access times when playing from a DVD drive can crash the emulator. While Wii discs are just standard DVD5/DVD9s, they can't be ripped using a standard DVD drive. You can backup both Gamecube and Wii discs by using homebrew applications on an actual Wii system, which must be softmodded. Here is a link to the Wii homebrew thread with instructions on how to rip your games. There are some very specific disc drives that can copy GC/Wii games to the PC as well.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I think he was asking about this, more or less:

Yup, that is what I was asking. I just looked over the OP, and it's a bit work intensive for me. I'd rather just use what little time I have to play the game. If it was 10 years ago, I would totally be up to the task. But I have little enough free time as is.

Thanks for pointing me there though. I may consider this for a future project once my plate is a little less full.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kilazar posted:

Yup, that is what I was asking. I just looked over the OP, and it's a bit work intensive for me. I'd rather just use what little time I have to play the game. If it was 10 years ago, I would totally be up to the task. But I have little enough free time as is.

Thanks for pointing me there though. I may consider this for a future project once my plate is a little less full.

Yeah it takes a little set up.

Luckily Xenoblade is still terrific without it :toot:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

There's a reason Sega is pretty much the only publisher enthusiastically backing the Wii U right now. Sonic sold well because it's a mascot kart racer, which is one of the select few genres that Nintendo has built an audience for. Same reason they're bringing a 3D mascot platformer to the Wii U.

Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed were also (almost) simultaneous, well advertised releases but Ubisoft and Activision still seem less than thrilled about bringing more games to the system.

Even assuming that ZombiU is the 150k selling game (the bundle came out in February after Wii U sales had cratered so I doubt it had an impact), it sold practically nothing in Japan (13,000 in its first week then dropped out of the charts), and even if we're being generous and saying it sold another 150k in Europe despite the Wii U doing worse there than in the US, that's still just about 300,000 units. There's no way sales like that are profitable for an exclusive unless it was made on the budget of an XBLA game or something.

Assassin's Creed was three weeks late and a sequel to a series that hadn't been on a Nintendo home console before. Call of Duty was a week late, which is a big deal for a hotly anticipated game with such front loaded sales.

No doubt, the Wii U isn't doing hot right now, I'm not debating it. I just think companies are being short sighted for this holiday season's releases based on the sales of late ports that weren't going to sell fantastically anyway.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 9, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Maybe people didn't buy ZombiU because they already got screwed by Ubisoft at the launch of the Wii with Red Steel. I sure would have been wary of it.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Speaking for myself, the reason I never gave zombie u a second look prior to the demo is I am tired of shooters. And I assumed it was just another zombie shooter. After reading this thread, and then trying the demo, I now regret skipping the zombie u bundle.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

whaley posted:

Maybe people didn't buy ZombiU because they already got screwed by Ubisoft at the launch of the Wii with Red Steel. I sure would have been wary of it.
The percentage of consumers who hold grudges against (or can even name) specific game publishers is astronomically small. Like even as a percentage of the "Wii U owner" sample base.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

Speaking for myself, the reason I never gave zombie u a second look prior to the demo is I am tired of shooters. And I assumed it was just another zombie shooter. After reading this thread, and then trying the demo, I now regret skipping the zombie u bundle.

That's one of the problems of the first-person perspective in games... one instantly assumes that because it utilizes that viewpoint that it will be a shootmans. This is unfortunate because it's a perspective that plays well with many genres and can add a lot to building tension in a genre where you're limited (in a good way, i.e. ammo, visability, health, etc.) in so many ways.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I would love it if a $39.99 market for games that fall somewhere between "AAA" and "Arcade" became a big thing this generation. It won't happen, but it would be fantastic.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

deadwing posted:

Assassin's Creed was three weeks late and a sequel to a series that hadn't been on a Nintendo home console before. Call of Duty was a week late, which is a big deal for a hotly anticipated game with such front loaded sales.

No doubt, the Wii U isn't doing hot right now, I'm not debating it. I just think companies are being short sighted for this holiday season's releases based on the sales of late ports that weren't going to sell fantastically anyway.

Every console gets some ports a few weeks late at launch. Almost all the multiplatform games at the 360's launch were late and they all sold well enough to justify continued support. I expect the PS4/XBone versions of BF4 and Assassin's Creed to sell well despite coming out weeks after the other versions.

Anyway, there's still some high profile multiplats coming this holiday. If the Wii U versions of Watch_Dogs/AssCreed4/Rayman/CoD sell well then that'll change 3rd parties' minds about putting games out for the system. If they all flame out then RIP 3rd party support probably for good.

Kilazar posted:

The general public fuckin' loves zombie games and shooters these days so I'd imagine this misperception helped more than it hurt :v:

Xavier434 posted:

I would love it if a $39.99 market for games that fall somewhere between "AAA" and "Arcade" became a big thing this generation. It won't happen, but it would be fantastic.

That would be nice, but like you said it won't happen. The more ambitious indie games will fill that gap, hopefully.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Xavier434 posted:

This has been thrown around in the movie industry for years as well... why should all movies cost the same price to see? Why should a drama that cost $10 million to produce have the same $15 ticket as a Summer blockbuster that cost $250 million.

It's a strange thing to think about and a difficult thing to come to a decision on.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

zenintrude posted:

This has been thrown around in the movie industry for years as well... why should all movies cost the same price to see? Why should a drama that cost $10 million to produce have the same $15 ticket as a Summer blockbuster that cost $250 million.

It's a strange thing to think about and a difficult thing to come to a decision on.

Yeah but I prefer to look at it from a different point of view. That is, why does a game developer need to spend AAA money in order for the game to make AAA profits? That idea could probably be worded and sold better, but the point is that if it ever stands a chance at becoming a reality then publishers and shareholders need to be told about "what's in it for them" first and then "why consumers will think it rules" later.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 9, 2013

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Junkie Disease posted:

Yes that is what I said except they didn't and they had unrealistic sales expectations. Adding Zombies was an improvement over rabbit monsters but literally having the title being Zombie misspelled and looking like a last gen title didn't make it the game anyone was looking forward to.
Its charm and quality only really comes out if you get the pad into your hands. No amount of Youtube videos could replicate that. It sold under half a mill and no mention of the pack ins. If they strip the game of its second screen they should just rename it Zombie and let the War Z devs publish it.

You do know that it's not actually misspelled, right?

The name had nothing to do with my interest, but based on what I had seen and read about the gameplay and seeing how it looked did make it a game I was looking forward to. I was quite happy having just ZombiU and Nintendo Land when I picked up the console on launch day.
I think if they set a reasonable price for it on the eshop and occasionally promote it then it could have decent legs and ultimately be more than profitable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Every console gets some ports a few weeks late at launch. Almost all the multiplatform games at the 360's launch were late and they all sold well enough to justify continued support. I expect the PS4/XBone versions of BF4 and Assassin's Creed to sell well despite coming out weeks after the other versions.

Not to mention that some next generation ports have clear, distinct advantages over their current generation counterparts.

A great example is Battlefield 4, which is coming to PC, PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbone. The PC/PS4/Xbone versions all run at 1080p, are aiming for solid 60FPS, and the console users will finally get to have the long-awaited PC version player cap of 64 players, doubling the amount of players in-game. That's the kind of thing I look forward to with next gen updates, taking advantage of the raw power upgrade to implement things that current generation spec simply cannot. That's why I'm buying Battlefield 4 alongside my PS4, because there is a real reason to upgrade to next generation on that franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

^^^ I wish that the increase in resource capacity was primarily being used to do stuff like that instead of the never ending chase for the graphics grail.

• Locked thread