Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The interesting thing about all the Marine Laundering conspiracies and the like is that both sides are completely right. Marines are murderous and all, but they have the skills, equipment, and training to act as special forces very, very well, even if they don't have the ability to win massive wars with just a chapter's numbers, and Guilleman's concerns about concentration of authority are valid considering both what happened with Horus and what keeps happening with Marines. At the same time, Chapters don't usually do a very good job at being special forces, as most of them have gone off and formed their own little clubs and/or convinced themselves they're really as powerful as they claim to be in propoganda, and when you absolutely need to kill every motherfucker in a warzone little does it quite as well as a large, well-organized group of murder-machines deploying on Legion numbers. Marine Drama works best when both sides of an argument have a point and they're both too bull-headed to admit it, and both just end up quietly breaking the rules in their own ways and setting themselves up for future tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Definitely the toughest part about running Only War online is finding enough good maps and battlemaps.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Night10194 posted:

The interesting thing about all the Marine Laundering conspiracies and the like is that both sides are completely right. Marines are murderous and all, but they have the skills, equipment, and training to act as special forces very, very well, even if they don't have the ability to win massive wars with just a chapter's numbers, and Guilleman's concerns about concentration of authority are valid considering both what happened with Horus and what keeps happening with Marines. At the same time, Chapters don't usually do a very good job at being special forces, as most of them have gone off and formed their own little clubs and/or convinced themselves they're really as powerful as they claim to be in propoganda, and when you absolutely need to kill every motherfucker in a warzone little does it quite as well as a large, well-organized group of murder-machines deploying on Legion numbers. Marine Drama works best when both sides of an argument have a point and they're both too bull-headed to admit it, and both just end up quietly breaking the rules in their own ways and setting themselves up for future tragedy.

My personal favorite bit of semi-canon marine drama is the way the Ultramarines! of all people, violate the spirit of the codex. Not by themselves, of course, but in the way that all those hundreds of successor chapters they have, more often than not, would follow the Ultramarines over the Imperium if it came to it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

VanSandman posted:

My personal favorite bit of semi-canon marine drama is the way the Ultramarines! of all people, violate the spirit of the codex. Not by themselves, of course, but in the way that all those hundreds of successor chapters they have, more often than not, would follow the Ultramarines over the Imperium if it came to it.

Letter of the Law not Spirit of the Law. That is the Ultramarines way!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Don't most of the loyalist legions violate the "thou shalt not be a legion" part of the Codex in some way?
Ultramarines simply paint 99% of their marines in a different colour while they are actually 1000 man strong companies under the command of Marneus Calgar.
Dark Angels have their secret club for successor chapter masters that totally aren't colluding in any way.
Space Wolves simply don't give a poo poo and are an excellent example of why the Chapter split exists because nobody can do anything about them.
Imperial Fists are a shell chapter for the way-over-strength-but-never-more-then-1000-in-one-place Black Templars.
Blood Angels have a conclave that "monitors the Black Rage" and only has a sliiight change of being a governing body for all succesors.

The other four are too small for anybody to care about.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Doug Lombardi posted:

Definitely the toughest part about running Only War online is finding enough good maps and battlemaps.

You need to be more lazy with the battlemaps, for the sake of your own sanity.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They shouldn't have good battlemaps, battlemaps are for armies that care about their troops.

Draw some half-arsed maps on a piece of scrap paper, then photocopy it a few times until it's barely legible (scanning it at too low a resolution works as well) and give them that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Asehujiko posted:

Don't most of the loyalist legions violate the "thou shalt not be a legion" part of the Codex in some way?
Ultramarines simply paint 99% of their marines in a different colour while they are actually 1000 man strong companies under the command of Marneus Calgar.
Dark Angels have their secret club for successor chapter masters that totally aren't colluding in any way.
Space Wolves simply don't give a poo poo and are an excellent example of why the Chapter split exists because nobody can do anything about them.
Imperial Fists are a shell chapter for the way-over-strength-but-never-more-then-1000-in-one-place Black Templars.
Blood Angels have a conclave that "monitors the Black Rage" and only has a sliiight change of being a governing body for all succesors.

The other four are too small for anybody to care about.

Still, the most fun thing to do is come up with your own legion. Or steal one d the too-cool-for-the-inquisition ones and rebrand it.

'Sir I am a Flame Eagle, not a Flame Falcon, and I find your lack of trust heretical. No, I am not on fire, you are imagining things.'

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 4, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ashcans posted:

I specifically meant an OW/Necromunda game (although I realize now that was totally unclear in my post). I do watch the PbP stuff for people recruiting, though! A lot of the time I am late to the party and my ideas are crap, though. :ohdear:

It was me. Things fell apart, but the idea remains and I might come back to it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Clanpot Shake posted:

My IRL game wrapped up and we're debating switching from DH to OW, but some people are worried that if we do OW it will be only combat and be kind of monotonous. If we did use OW, I would probably DM it. What sorts of situations can I throw in that fit with the OW theme that are not combat related? I'd also have to figure how to make the combat that does happen a bit more interesting. What sorts of scenery is good for that?

Another option is to go the Gaunt's Ghosts assassination mission on an enemy controlled planet route. They have to drop into a former imperial world that has been conquered by some enemy force and assassinate someone. To do so they have to link up with the resistance, watch out for traitors, perform hit-and-run attacks to distract the overwhelming forces that they are arrayed agains, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is that Traitor General is a sweet book to base an OW game off of.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I rolled up a character yesterday for my first Dark Heresy game, even though I actually have owned Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader books for awhile. Just couldn't find anyone crazy enough to play with or GM. I'm extremely excited about this.

Feral World Guardsman who hates the color orange. Gotta admit I love the idea that you roll for quirks, it helps to make the roleplaying easier for those who (like me) have a hard time getting into the roleplaying aspect.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So, someone decided to GM a Deathwatch game for me and probably three others. I approached him with my completed character sheet, all necessary skills, advances, armour history, etc.

Looking over the sheer crunchiness of it, he's getting cold feet and suggesting I GM it. I didn't make my own Chapter or anything, so the only things on the paper are the bare-bones, and there's still so many bits and pieces from Power Armour, Space Marine glands, and Deathwatch starting skills that it looks like a Rank 10 Dark Heresy character or something (working as intended).

I'm looking sadly at this sheet, and realize I may never get to play my Ultramarine. In the same way a Paladin might say he's "Lawful Good and not Lawful Stupid", that is how I wanted to play this Smurf in regards to the Codex.

We'll see how it goes. I think another dude is making a pre-heresy Legionnaire who is an Unarmed Fighter (strictly Unarmed). Pffft... One day.

Edit: I should probably just replay Space Marine.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 1, 2013

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I managed to kill a PC in the Only War free adventure Eleventh Hour today. The squad managed to make it to Firebase Longtooth 2 hours before the bombardment began, but they went a long way out of their way to avoid contact with the Orks and their Looted Tank on their side of the river so they were in a hurry once they reached the bridge and found out that it was about to be overrun by Orks. I had already worn the party down with a Kommando ambush on the Mechanicus Bridge in Firebase Longtooth so when they reached Nezgit Slymoon to stop him from disarming the bombs they were in pretty weak shape. Like with any boss character, the squad managed to kill him before he could do any damage, but I decided that since they skipped the Ork fight that Orks would start streaming into the bunker starting on the second round. The party opted to signal their comrades on the far side of the bridge to demolish the bridge in two rounds after they realized that they wouldn't be able to kill the Orks before attrition wore them down. The only safe exit was blocked by two Orks, but they were only able to kill one in time before they decided to make a break for it. Unfortunately for the Squad's Ogryn, there simply wasn't enough room to make it past the last remaining Ork and he failed a desperate charge to get past him and was murdered by Orks.

I'm starting a full campaign with the same group and I hope to rack up a few more kills.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My group's DH campaign ended last week. We'd left off with me in a position of power over the NPCs in the area, access to a powerful warp artifact that could manipulate time, one fellow acolyte dead and another in jail, and a powerful daemonic entity was ravaging the facility we were trapped in.

The GM said he was going to give us an out, because this thing was super powerful compared to us. Unfortunately for all involved, the out he gave us was yet another demon. See, I'd already dicked over two demons, and now a third one is whispering to me from the artifact saying all I had to do was activate it and he would make all our problems go away, then walk off with the artifact back to the warp.

gently caress. That.

I have my NPC minion tether the thing with some chains and make for the armory. My master plan: blow it the gently caress up.

Through plot contrivance all us acolytes regroup, with Karl's ghost puppet-mastering the body of one of the many slain guards. We make it to the armory and arm up on shotguns and inferno shells, taking with us an unspecified amount of detonation packs. Unfortunately, the artifact isn't entirely in this reality - it's more straddling the boundary between the material world and the warp, so we couldn't just blow it up. My plan is complicated but remains largely unchanged. All we had to do was research the thing and devise a ritual to bring it entirely into our reality.

So we make for the office of the Imperium's most powerful pysker, two floors down, dodging the thing ravaging the facility. Karl and I start looking over the notes about the device in the office to try to work something out while the demon in the device (which we'd schlepped all this way) whispers in Klightus' ear that all he has to do to activate it is kill a psyker and he would do the rest and our problems would go away. Klightus wanted to activate it but I talked him down just before the demon thing busts down the door.

A firefight breaks out, which quickly turns both hopeless and psychically dangerous. A few things happen in quick succession. Karl rolls an odd result on the Perils table, transferring consciousness with my NPC lackey. I roll a 100 on the Perils table and cease to exist (no fate points left). The demon in the device convinces Klightus to activate it and he shoots Karl (the requisite psyker) in the back but fails to kill him, which Karl watches from his strange out-of-body position. Karl returns fire with the plasma gun the NPC had been given, wounding Klightus grievously. Klightus fires again on Karl's body attempting to complete the ritual in a move of desperation, then Karl fires again, killing Klightus and causing all of his ammo to detonate, killing everyone except Karl's original body, which he has transferred back to per the Perils roll description and he is slowly bleeding out. Somewhere in there the demon was destroyed, but Klightus and Karl were trying to kill each other - Klightus to complete the ritual and Karl because Klightus was trying to kill him.

Then Klightus' detonation packs go off. The campaign ended in a flash of blinding light, presumably (hopefully) burying the facility and the device.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Doug Lombardi posted:

I managed to kill a PC in the Only War free adventure Eleventh Hour today. The squad managed to make it to Firebase Longtooth 2 hours before the bombardment began, but they went a long way out of their way to avoid contact with the Orks and their Looted Tank on their side of the river so they were in a hurry once they reached the bridge and found out that it was about to be overrun by Orks. I had already worn the party down with a Kommando ambush on the Mechanicus Bridge in Firebase Longtooth so when they reached Nezgit Slymoon to stop him from disarming the bombs they were in pretty weak shape. Like with any boss character, the squad managed to kill him before he could do any damage, but I decided that since they skipped the Ork fight that Orks would start streaming into the bunker starting on the second round. The party opted to signal their comrades on the far side of the bridge to demolish the bridge in two rounds after they realized that they wouldn't be able to kill the Orks before attrition wore them down. The only safe exit was blocked by two Orks, but they were only able to kill one in time before they decided to make a break for it. Unfortunately for the Squad's Ogryn, there simply wasn't enough room to make it past the last remaining Ork and he failed a desperate charge to get past him and was murdered by Orks.

I'm starting a full campaign with the same group and I hope to rack up a few more kills.

You son of a bitch. I refuse to die.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Clanpot Shake posted:

My group's DH campaign ended last week...

Makes for a great story. Almost like I was reading something out of Let The Galaxy Burn. Also, I don't think you can burn a Fate if you roll a 100 on Perils, but maybe it was different in DH.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Firstborn posted:

Makes for a great story. Almost like I was reading something out of Let The Galaxy Burn. Also, I don't think you can burn a Fate if you roll a 100 on Perils, but maybe it was different in DH.
I don't think there's a rule for that one way or the other. Generally burning to survive certain death is at the discretion of the DM, but we went into that session knowing that would be the end of that campaign arc (but not knowing we would all die).

The DM told me that destroying the artifact as I planned would probably kill most people in the SECTOR (an immense amount of space) in a psychic blast of unfathomable proportions. I told him it was better untold billions die than the device be in the hands of humanity's enemies. Sadly my plans did not come to fruition.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Clanpot Shake posted:

I don't think there's a rule for that one way or the other. Generally burning to survive certain death is at the discretion of the DM, but we went into that session knowing that would be the end of that campaign arc (but not knowing we would all die).

The DM told me that destroying the artifact as I planned would probably kill most people in the SECTOR (an immense amount of space) in a psychic blast of unfathomable proportions. I told him it was better untold billions die than the device be in the hands of humanity's enemies. Sadly my plans did not come to fruition.

I applaud you for thinking like an agent of the Imperium ought to.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

This man gets it. :allears:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live !

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Our Rogue Trader crew of Cold Trader RT, Astropath, Psyker Techpriest (can't remember what alternate career he'd got, the one with xenotech), Dark Eldar Haemonculus and Kroot Bonetrader (my character) had a very close encounter with things man was not meant to know, mostly thanks to the usual suspects: greed, arrogance and utter and complete disregard for sanity and safety precautions.

Our group had been hired to fire a cure for one man's special affliction: immortality. The client could not die and wanted us to help him die, and he'd told us he gained his immortality from an apple he stole from an Imperial cleric. After a short trip to the Sister abbey where the lecherous old priest was spending his twilight years and some extremely damaging mind probing we found clues as to where the apple originated from, more specifically that it came from a planet where it rained a lot. There were two possible planets, a death world where we had left a very special vessel during a previous endeavour with a previous group in the same dynasty (more precisely, we'd left there a goddamn ship that had been turned into a hover vehicle because our attempts to find an actual hover yacht ended in disastrous failure as we found just a yacht) and another planet where it rained constantly. We went to the death world first and quickly realized that nope, this is not the correct planet, but we decided to salvage what we could out of our stupid hover boat. Me, tech priest and haemonculus were salvaging the parts we'd used to make the ship fly, three Landspeeders, when suddenly, a monster attacked. It was a huge beast, large enough to literally swallow our guncutter whole - which it did, while our Astropath and Rogue Trader were still inside. Outside, me and Haemonculus hosed up our fear tests, both getting the same result, going crazy and trying to hit the closest living entity with whatever we had in our hands. I had my hands on the landspeeder.

GM: Roll -40 strenght check to lift it.
Me: *succeeds, barely*

I ended up trying to hit the Dark Eldar with a landspeeder. I missed, but it would have probably pulped him to tiny bits if I had hit, what with my 50 strenght and unnatural strenght. Meanwhile our swallowed guncutter blasted his way out of the beast and both me and the Haemonculus recovered our wits and we proceeded to loot what we could out of our wrecked boat (basically just the sole intact landspeeder I was currently lugging over my head) and also chop up part of the beast and carry its head to our ship. Also my Kroot got a lot of lizard meat that day.

Then we went to the other planet and our Astropath figured out that there was a huge psychic phenomena somewhere in the northern area of the planet and we soon figured out we'd found our target. After some intervieweing of the locals we confirmed our findings and set out to an abandoned settlement in the north to check if it was the origin of the phenomena, or if it was further north where there was some sort of garden. We figured out the settlement had been abandoned in a hurry, and that most of the stuff there was worthless - however we'd been investigating it for so long that night was too near for us to continue, especially since there would be no suitable place to land our gun cutter near the garden place so we made camp for the night. Our Rogue Trader decided that xenos should keep watch and so me and our Dark Eldar were put up for guard duty. I slept the whole night not giving a drat, the Haemonculus kept watch through the whole night, not bothering to wake up me since he didn't need any sleep. He saw some figures in the dark forest outside the settlement, but didn't find anything when he went to get a closer look.

In the morning we trekked through the forest, arriving in front of ominous black metallic gates which our Psykers figured out were not made out of stuff generally found in our galaxy and that they were psychically charged. Oh and that Chaos liked to use stuff like that. Lovely. We got the gates open and entered the garden and pretty quickly everyone in our party who knew anything about psychic phenomena (so Kroot and both Psykers) figured out that there was a lot of that happening there. There were weird bizarre flowers there and other lovely organic and disturbing sights, but the crown jewel of the sinister garden was the unholy tree in the middle of it, from which there was growing a single apple that did not seem ripe yet. When we approached the tree we stumbled on a severed head - that was still alive. It told us a bit about the tree, about the original pre-human inhabitants of the planet and about the curse of immortality. Then our Astropath noticed that there was some warp entity watching us, something linked to the place, which he informed to the rest of the group. My Kroot succeeded in his forbidden lore Psyker tests and figured out that contacting warp entities is a Very Bad Thing and started pointing his hand cannon at the Psyker's head, informing him of what he'd learned during his time as Bonetrader as to what happens to people who do stuff like that and what should be done to them (horrible things and executions, respectively). Unfortunately our Rogue Trader thought that it would be a great idea to contact the demon, Astropath thought he could kill the demon (after a failed int check) and Homunculus also thought it would be a great idea. At least the Astropath started drawing protective circles before he decided to do that.

Astropath: *fails his Forbidden lore test horribly* There, that should do it.
Kroot: *succeeds at his Forbidden lore test* ...You just drew a circle. That isn't a protective circle.
Astropath: Fine, I'll do another one! *fails again*
Kroot: *success* ...That's the same circle with some squiggles added.

He finally succeeded at the third try after some laughter by everyone in the group and I found it adequate after my succesful test and so the daemon summoning proceeded - of note is that this whole time, I constantly kept my hand cannon aimed at our Astropath's head. Bonetraders, Kroot ones too, know that while stuff affiliated with the Warp is profitable (so far I have told to all of our Psykers that should they die, I know people who'd pay for their corpses and I've shown the rest of the group some interesting minor Psychic Xenotech such as the Ork-Skull That Screams When You Poke It, which our Dark Eldar bought from me for use as an alarm clock), stuff DIRECTLY from the Warp is usually a Very Bad Thing. And so the daemon prince appeared and half our group bent over backwards trying to make utterly retarded deals that would in no way backfire horribly, especially our Rogue Trader and Dark Eldar. He told us a bit more about the curse about how it was his gift to mankind in order to teach humans about his lord, Nurgle, and attempted to make deals with us, more specifically to help us free his minion in exchange for cure for the immortality. Oh and of course our Dark Eldar actually wanted to get that immortality but didn't have enough to bargain with, and then he attempted to get protection from the demon against Slaanesh, after which the demon told him to go directly to Nurgle for that. Surprisingly the Dark Eldar decided that even he had some limits and that trying to contact a Chaos God directly would probably only end badly. Finally our Astropath realizes that hey, demons are a Really Bad Thing and attacks it with his power, getting a surprise round and hitting the demon with a psychic power that actually stuns it.

This is going to be a theme for the entire fight. Both of our Psykers keep blasting the demon with powers, slowly doing significant damage to it while our Dark Eldar and Rogue Trader try to shoot the stunned demon with their pistols, unsurprisingly doing absolutely nothing. I don't even bother with all that and draw my massive two handed power sword and start moving towards the demon while our psykers keep blasting it and stunlocking it, both Rogue Trader and Dark Eldar following my example and trying to hit it in melee (and failing, the Dark Eldar deciding that maybe he should just insult the thing and pees on it, actually healing it with that). They both hit but don't do any damage and my first attack whiffs somehow - I needed 90 to hit the stunned target after all the bonuses. I got 93.Our captain and other xeno keep trying to do stuff to the demon with not much success while me and the psykers wail on the thing, and finally I manage to get a killing blow on the creature which ends the fight. As the demon dies he sucks most of the garden in to the Warp with him, including the severed head's soul, but leaving the unripened fruit behind. We nab the head and the fruit (the head because I intend to sell it - selling Psyker corpses is my bread and butter, as well as corpses afflicted by Psychic phenomena) and gain a shitload of xp from the encounter, with my Kroot getting a fate point since he was the only one who through the whole encounter did not want to contact the thing, did not want to make deals with it and wanted it gone, everyone else more or less tried to make deals with it or be arrogant enough to summon it in the belief that they'd be strong enough to contain it. I mean I guess the Astropath was right about that in the end, but it was still a monumentally bad idea and it was pretty much sheer luck that he managed to stun lock it for the entire fight as the demon just kept failing every single willpower check. If he hadn't that would have been a horrible fight as two of our group would only be able to do some plink damage to it with lucky rolls.

Next time we are going to try to cure the immortal man with the unripe fruit! I mean, the demon told us that someone who'd already eated the immortality granting fruit would see the true nature of Nurgle, what's the worst that could happen if we feed him that? I probably know someone who'd buy the end result though so all's well that ends well.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So my group moved to OW from DH and I'm first to DM it looks like (we toyed around with rotating DM duties). We ended up with a slow-witted Weapon Specialist named Galt, a Heavy Gunner named 'Big Mac' Macharius, a backwater Storm Trooper, and a Jaded Enginseer assigned to our Penal recon regiment. This was all random.

We couldn't not do the theme the dice were directing us toward: dumb, gun-toting Republicans. We named our prison gang the Santorum Saints.

Anyway, they want to do something with xenos, an enemy we haven't seen a lot (any) of in our games. Are the tyranid stat lines in the DW books overkill for an OW regiment?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Clanpot Shake posted:

So my group moved to OW from DH and I'm first to DM it looks like (we toyed around with rotating DM duties). We ended up with a slow-witted Weapon Specialist named Galt, a Heavy Gunner named 'Big Mac' Macharius, a backwater Storm Trooper, and a Jaded Enginseer assigned to our Penal recon regiment. This was all random.

We couldn't not do the theme the dice were directing us toward: dumb, gun-toting Republicans. We named our prison gang the Santorum Saints.

Anyway, they want to do something with xenos, an enemy we haven't seen a lot (any) of in our games. Are the tyranid stat lines in the DW books overkill for an OW regiment?

Most citizens of the Imperium are encouraged to not know poo poo about science, and to believe all sorts of superstition (the important 10% being "stay the gently caress away from the loving warp I mean it"). Playing the Enginseer as the straight-man who long ago accepted that even most officers will believe all sorts of weird poo poo would be pretty fun. Lesson 1 was that you should just babble something about machine spirits and sacred ritual and "if we don't do it just this way demons will eat us" (occasionally true) when you need someone to pay attention and do something exactly the way you say to.

Edit: If you get a new player, he should be a dark, gothy, misunderstood psyker who is basically at his mental limit just not freaking out about how there are demons trying to eat him right now." The rest are literally on standing orders to shoot him if a demon eats him.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 6, 2013

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm writing up the first mission for our new OW game. The group wants to fight xenos, so I'm going to use the Tyranids from the DW core book.

The setting is a planet in the path of a Tyranid hive fleet. The players have been recently deployed there, but the planet has been a known target for a while, so the Imperium has been building up defenses for a decade or so. The defenses are being built to guide where the tyranids land - orbital platforms and ships are to engage the larger ships while an absurd amount of anti-aircraft emplacements on the surface force whatever gets through to land in designated kill-zones or be shot to hell. Concentric, redundant defenses.

Word comes in that a supply depot tasked with resupplying a good portion of these AA guns has gone dark, so the squad is sent to investigate, expecting the problem to be routine vox failure. What the players don't know is that the depot has been infiltrated by a tyranid genestealer cult with the cult Magus commanding the base.

What I've got so far is that everything will appear normal at first, but an investigation of the vox will show that it not all is right (either a lone squad member being attacked in the comm room or signs of a struggle and coverup from before the base went incommunicado). It will emerge that there are two factions in the base - the regular, normal guardsmen who are cowed by strict discipline into not asking questions, and members of the cult who run the base and look on the squad with suspicion (and are a little weird looking).

The cult controls the base's warehouse, which is built dozens of stories into the ground. They've been systematically doing two things that the players will discover: 1) tainting the AA ammunition so it explodes upon firing, rendering the guns inoperable, and 2) keeping cult members who can't pass for humans in crates deep in the facility (basically regular tyranids).

I'm thinking of using Termagaunts and Hormagaunts for the crate-monsters and having a boss fight Tyranid Warrior in the deepest level serve as the cult's patriarch. Killing the patriarch will throw the cult into disarray. What tweaks, if any, will I need to make to have 3-4 guardsmen make it through this one without a party wipe?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm writing up the first mission for our new OW game. The group wants to fight xenos, so I'm going to use the Tyranids from the DW core book.

The setting is a planet in the path of a Tyranid hive fleet. The players have been recently deployed there, but the planet has been a known target for a while, so the Imperium has been building up defenses for a decade or so. The defenses are being built to guide where the tyranids land - orbital platforms and ships are to engage the larger ships while an absurd amount of anti-aircraft emplacements on the surface force whatever gets through to land in designated kill-zones or be shot to hell. Concentric, redundant defenses.

Word comes in that a supply depot tasked with resupplying a good portion of these AA guns has gone dark, so the squad is sent to investigate, expecting the problem to be routine vox failure. What the players don't know is that the depot has been infiltrated by a tyranid genestealer cult with the cult Magus commanding the base.

What I've got so far is that everything will appear normal at first, but an investigation of the vox will show that it not all is right (either a lone squad member being attacked in the comm room or signs of a struggle and coverup from before the base went incommunicado). It will emerge that there are two factions in the base - the regular, normal guardsmen who are cowed by strict discipline into not asking questions, and members of the cult who run the base and look on the squad with suspicion (and are a little weird looking).

The cult controls the base's warehouse, which is built dozens of stories into the ground. They've been systematically doing two things that the players will discover: 1) tainting the AA ammunition so it explodes upon firing, rendering the guns inoperable, and 2) keeping cult members who can't pass for humans in crates deep in the facility (basically regular tyranids).

I'm thinking of using Termagaunts and Hormagaunts for the crate-monsters and having a boss fight Tyranid Warrior in the deepest level serve as the cult's patriarch. Killing the patriarch will throw the cult into disarray. What tweaks, if any, will I need to make to have 3-4 guardsmen make it through this one without a party wipe?

Well if its a cult you could just make it about genestealers then. They literally go in and infect and convert human populations and over multiple generations eventually breed them into more genestealers. Though if its a sudden infiltration style force you can just have a genestealer Mago (human with lots of mind control powers) and the cult being supported by a few termagaunts and hormagaunts. Having said that a big old genestealer is pretty scary to begin with against 1st level guard.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

kingcom posted:

Well if its a cult you could just make it about genestealers then. They literally go in and infect and convert human populations and over multiple generations eventually breed them into more genestealers. Though if its a sudden infiltration style force you can just have a genestealer Mago (human with lots of mind control powers) and the cult being supported by a few termagaunts and hormagaunts. Having said that a big old genestealer is pretty scary to begin with against 1st level guard.

I was referring to it as a cult because that's how Lexicanum talks about them - long term pre-invasion infiltrators of human-snatching aliens. The base commander is the magus guy with mind control.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After my Deathwatch game for my local gaming group fell through, we're starting a new Dark Heresy game, and things seem to be getting off to a much better start. I came up with what I think will be an interesting adversary for the first big story arc: the Tau have secretly arrived on this Imperial hive world to test a fully functional military AI using remotely controlled stealth and crisis suits that don't have pilots inside. Problem is, there's a reason why the AdMech forbids access to the underhive here - it's secretly a prison for a Chaos Warhound scout Titan from the Horus Heresy that the Adeptus Mechanicus defeated and imprisoned in hopes of reversing the advanced strain of the Obliterator virus that melded the Titan and its crew. The Tau accidentally breached the AdMech perimeter, and a virus fragment infected one of the Tau drones. And it's spreading through the network.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

I was referring to it as a cult because that's how Lexicanum talks about them - long term pre-invasion infiltrators of human-snatching aliens. The base commander is the magus guy with mind control.

Oh its long term? Make full blown genestealer hybrids then. Essentially genestealers pass on their genetic information to humans and it begins to override them, they give birth to genestealer hybrids. So you can make humans with big rending claws or carapace armour in their flesh and the like. Go full on with random horrible tyranid deformities (remember tyranids are all purpose built so the deformities offer functionality) for the hybrids.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Be careful using monsters from Deathwatch in your Only War game, most Tyranids are powerful enough to flat out kill a Guardsman in a single hit.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm in a Tyranid-based Only War game with four players set in the Jericho Reach, and a Tyranid Warrior wasn't insurmountable (though was a pretty big threat) when we started. However, we're also all ranged specialists, and if one of your players really has his or her heart set on charging enemies with a chainsword a Warrior, genestealer or pretty much anything the Tyranids have are going to make the player seriously regret it. There's honestly not much you can do about that.

I believe if it's before a full-on invasion the only Tyranid lifeforms likely to be around are genestealers, their cultists, and lictors, but lictors are way out of a starting guardsman's league without some hefty lateral thinking on the player's parts.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Purestrain genestealers are pretty nasty, so one or two of them could serve as an end boss type enemy. Generally, there'd be more than a couple of genestealers but you can have the rest taken care of when the team tells command. Alternatively, the magos/patriarch and a handful of first generation hybrids would work well as the final showdown.

edit: A few bits of news for various games:

Only War - Enemies of the Imperium released
Deathwatch - The Emperor's Chosen preview
Rogue Trader - Faith and Coin new supplement!

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 9, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Are there any rules for playing as a Dreadnaught yet? It'd be cool to be a grumpy old man in a box.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

VanSandman posted:

Are there any rules for playing as a Dreadnaught yet? It'd be cool to be a grumpy old man in a box.

Metal boxes...

I was pretty sure they were in Rites of Battle and Furioso Dreadnaughts in First Founding.

Speaking of which, the Deathwatch game I was running elsewhere seems to have died after we took a break while the squad leader went on vacation. I am mildly tempted to start a Black Crusade or Only War game here, although honestly the likelihood of actually getting through a scenario in pbp doesn't seem that great (given my history of running games).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Interesting they're still supporting Rogue Trader but seem to have pretty much abandoned Dark Heresy, which is kinda disappointing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Interesting they're still supporting Rogue Trader but seem to have pretty much abandoned Dark Heresy, which is kinda disappointing.

The current Dark Heresy line has ended.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

What I wouldn't give for an updated DH core book utilizing updated rules from BC/OW. :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

kingcom posted:

Wha-what? When did they announce this? :stare:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

To be completely honest, pretty much every 40KRPG can be used as a source material for Dark Heresy, depending on the power levels involved, and vice-versa. I am perfectly fine with that, though I'd still like a consolidated rules book, like the Blue Book for World of Darkness.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

What I wouldn't give for an updated DH core book utilizing updated rules from BC/OW. :(

It's not much, but in the back of the Only War rulebook there's conversion rules for turning Only War into Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch, and Black Crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are there any (decent) homebrew statblocks for Battleships for use in Rogue Trader anywhere?