Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It won't be a "deathmatch" in the sense of explosions and barbed wire ropes. Just generic brawling. A little while ago they had a KENTA vs Yone match featuring a (bad-looking) muscle buster from the top to the floor through a table, and there was a (bad) series of Yone hardcore matches in 2004/2005.

If someone gets hit with a light tube, then it's for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
They had an Onita tag at a Sumo Hall show last summer.

Onita's been all over the place since last year, he even made some Osaka Pro appearances. The only real death match he had during that time was a title match against Akebono in Zero-One.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Your new DDT Ironman champion is a painting.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Ditch posted:

Of what?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Scott Hall I hope

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ditch posted:

A Pro Wrestling Wave Poster is a previous champ, doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DDT August 18th
Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Also on that card: The framed autograph that recently won the Heavymetalweight title will defend it against a mystery opponent!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

njsykora posted:

DDT August 18th
:stare:

DDT is on fire.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

njsykora posted:

DDT August 18th

Holy poo poo. That could be awesome.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Good Worker A + Good Worker B isn't always a dream match though. Ibushi's best matches are about spectacular highspots; Okada's best matches are about limb work and steady build.

I guess what I'm saying is don't go in expecting a 5* epic.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Ditch posted:

Good Worker A + Good Worker B isn't always a dream match though. Ibushi's best matches are about spectacular highspots; Okada's best matches are about limb work and steady build.

I guess what I'm saying is don't go in expecting a 5* epic.

Well aware of that. But they're two of my favorite puro guys, in a match against each other. I'll be marking out even if the match ends up being terrible.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Taue is retiring on December 9th. He's been pretty much shot for the last three years.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

While hunting for more NJPW goodness I saw a recent show from AJPW and their houses are depressingly sparse; is it just the locations they're booking or is All Japan in bad shape?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

"At least they're better off than NOAH" isn't the most ringing endorsement but they've produced some great stuff since the Burning invasion. Just stick to the Korakuen / Sumo Hall shows if small crowds bum you out.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 8, 2013

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Actually that was going to be my next question, namely how they're doing compared to Noah.

I was never a fan of King's Road, but that's still sad to see All-Japan brought so low.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
All Japan and NOAH have always been VERY Tokyo-centered. After the split it got worse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Renaissance Spam posted:

While hunting for more NJPW goodness I saw a recent show from AJPW and their houses are depressingly sparse; is it just the locations they're booking or is All Japan in bad shape?

The management behind AJPW is so crazy right now that even Mutoh bowed out.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

The management behind AJPW is so crazy right now that even Mutoh bowed out.
To summarize: AJPW never completely recovered from the NOAH split and Mutou's early tenure (overspending and American-influenced booking during the early 00's), they had to keep their head above water by downsizing and using fewer gaijin, but then in 2011 he stepped down after Nobukazu Hirai got shot on backstage and almost killed by TARU (leading to the forced disbanding of the Voodoo Murders),the legendary referee Kyohei Wada (of 80s-90s AJPW "glory days" fame) leaving after 37 years with the company, and Minoru Suzuki may have left for NJPW for the same reason.

This year, AJPW was then sold to a corporation called Speed Partners... whose president began his stewardship of AJPW by stirring up poo poo with New Japan, claiming that he could buy NJPW out from Bushiroad, that he wanted AJPW to catch up to NJPW within a year, he was interested in buying a MMA organization and that "The only good wrestlers NJPW have are Nakamura and Nagata" and thus that he'd want to sign them both to AJPW... then after the March 17th show at Sumo Hall, he publicly berated a wrestler "and started shoving him in front of the fans, before Hikaru Sato stopped him with a takedown", then proceeded to accuse NJPW of fixing matches and "how they have to get rid of that practice from the sport of pro wrestling", pissing off Riki Choshu and others. Oh, and apparently he wanted to bring in The Rock and do MMA crossovers. :psyboom: Eventually Shiraishi fired AJPW's president Masayuku Uchida (Mutou's successor since 2011) only to then appoint himself as acting president, so since Mutou couldn't secure financial backing to buy AJPW back from Shiraishi he's apparently going to form his own promotion using several AJPW wrestlers.

Oh, and presumably they still haven't recovered from advertising Ric Flair & Keiji Mutou vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Seiya Sanada for January 26th this year, leading to a rare sellout, only to pull the rug out from under the fans at the show when Ric Flair bowed out that day due to an alleged blood clot and AJPW didn't offer refunds (although there were rumors that Ric Flair had been faking it and always intended Reid Flair to replace him).

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Don't forget Reid Flair dying soon after.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

golden oldies pete posted:

Don't forget Reid Flair dying soon after.
That wasn't publicly tied to AJPW, was it?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

no but it's still unfortunate for them, maybe he overdosed on purpose because AJPW was so bad, who can say really.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Mutoh has announced his new promotion, named WRESTLE-1 (more on that shortly), to debut on September 8th at JCB Hall in Tokyo. Roster:

Keiji Mutoh
Masakatsu Funaki
Kaz Hayashi
Shuji Kondo
Minoru Tanaka
Masayuki Kono
KAI
Hiroshi Yamato
Ryota Hama
Yasufumi Nakanoue
Andy Wu
Daiki Inaba (Trainee)
Brian Ishizaka (Trainee)
Yoshioka Seiki (Trainee)

The only surprise there is three trainees; maybe they cleaned out the All Japan dojo?

As for the name, WRESTLE-1 was an ill-fated promotion from the 2000s that was backed by K-1 and featured a mix of shootfighters and wrestlers. They ran 4 shows over 3 years, and Mutoh was on three of them. Clearly it's no accident that this name is being used, though K-1 is not involved this time.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
... so Mutou is deliberately calling back to what Cageside Seats characterized as a flop-at-the-gates that AJPW never recovered from?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

NOOOOOO DON'T BREAK UP SMOP :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chortles posted:

... so Mutou is deliberately calling back to what Cageside Seats characterized as a flop-at-the-gates that AJPW never recovered from?

I think the difference is Mutoh will likely not try to run with the big dogs at first.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

NOOOOOO DON'T BREAK UP SMOP :(

Isn't Akebono freelance? He'll probably show up there eventually.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Wrestle-1 didn't hurt AJ financially from what I recall. Again, I'm pretty sure it was all/mostly K-1 money. Right before then, however, Mutoh spent a ton on Goldberg for two nights in 2002.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Ibushi, who loves him some lariats, went on a Rainmaker rampage today. So that should factor into the Okada match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ditch posted:

Ibushi, who loves him some lariats, went on a Rainmaker rampage today. So that should factor into the Okada match.

It's because he tried to use a Rainmaker dollar inside of a vending machine and it wouldn't work.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
Speaking of AJPW, just got the 2013 Champions Carnival in.

DVD:
http://rudoreels.com/shop/product/ajpw-2013-champions-carnival-3d/

Digital:
http://rudoreels.com/digital/index.php/update-017/

Haven't yet checked it out myself but I've been reading about AJPW's status here and there...last I heard their roster consisted of about ten people. That's pretty rough, but I would assume it wouldn't hinder running shows TOO badly if they can fill out with freelance workers. However, I'd think that would damage their credibility regardless having so few names they can call 'their own.' A shame, really. I do hope they can pull off a comeback.

Mutoh's promotion sounds very interesting.

In other news.... Riki Choshu is *finally* retiring for good, apparently, but planning to hold a 40th Anniversary show.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Why is Mutoh's fed interesting when it's just half of All Japan?

The whole thing is just sad. And sadly, unlike in 2000, there isn't a bunch of good talent lingering around to suck up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RudoReels posted:

planning to hold a 40th Anniversary show.

of what his first retirement?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

The whole thing is just sad. And sadly, unlike in 2000, there isn't a bunch of good talent lingering around to suck up.

It's interesting because it's going to put another failing group into the Japanese landscape and somehow not kill any of them.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Maybe All Japan can get back together with NOAH now! :downs:

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

Ditch posted:

Same can still be interesting depending on what's done with it. I'd read some info about it but can't find it now. I know they aren't having titles, for one. Not sure what else. Very interesting maybe isn't the wording to use but I'm curious to see what they do.

John Cena posted:

of what his first retirement?

Rimshot

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Not sure if this counts as Puro but does anyone have knowledge of ZERO-1 Hong Kong at all? I'm going to a show on Saturday with two of their guys on it (Hoho Lun and Jason New) and just wondered if anyone knew much about them

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
Hoho Lun came to wrestle as a heel invader here in Singapore a while ago. He was up against this Singaporean wrestler who had a legit injury going in so Hoho had to carry the entire match. I think he finishes with the superkick. Has a pretty decent bridged German suplex too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm now mildly shocked that no wrestler has ever used the nickname "The man For All Seasons" before now. That's almost as good as "The Greatest Man Who's Ever Lived".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

Just added loads of new Puro/Joshi to the DVD shop. About half of them are available on the digital site. Running a sweet sale too so be sure to check it out.

http://rudoreels.com/shop/update-010/
http://rudoreels.com/shop/update-011/
http://rudoreels.com/digital/index.php/update-018-2/