Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dirty Karma posted:

How do you figure? They are in bed with Microsoft, money isn't an issue.
It's less a cash issue than a man hours issue, as indicated by the devs. Adapting an engine is serious work, as is adding a major feature like coop play. Microsoft could probably hire another studio's worth of programmers and designers to get it done but why would they? Why go to those lengths to add features to a game so many people have already paid for? The smart thing would be to plan it into a sequel, as they are currently doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
This game needs a fair bit of polish still, but the only thing that really kills it for me is how the other enclaves will suddenly stop stocking poo poo in their stashes. Having 2,000 influence dollars is really lovely when there is nothing to buy other than artillery strikes and unnecesary construction help. All I really want is for the trading mechanics to be worked on and for the Big Uns to have a predictable amount of health.

You can scrap the second part if you give me an option to tell the other survivor to stay back and let me work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really suspect that the second patch did something to break survivor's storage lockers' item-respawning. Even the grange isn't making more coffee anymore.

Also I think I solved the mystery of my wildly fluctuating snack-pile: whenever I log in I have a handful to no snacks however, after playing for a day/night cycle in game without exiting/logging out, I notice that there's usually 2 dozen in the locker. I'm not entirely certain if this is due to scavenger survivors bringing food rucks home from my radio calls, or if it's just a calculation of time and what kind of buildings you have, though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I *think* the game gives you a journal message about snacks - something about breaking down some of your food resources into snacks every so often (either game time or real time, I forget, I assume real time). I could also be making that up and just be crazy.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
I've noticed (as have others) that a few of the drugs in the game have a little (Addictive?) on them. Has anyone experimented to see if you can get a survivor addicted to meds yet?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've played with that mechanic a bit but it doesn't seem to do anything, maybe it's a scrapped idea from the original plans. It's not like Fallout or something where you can just funnel drugs down your face til addiction takes anyway; you can only use one at a time to alleviate the "Tired" effect. I took a survivor out for a full playing session and loaded them up on trucker pills every time they got a bit tired, and nothing ever happened, so I don't think it means anything.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I think I made a mistake taking the fairgrounds. Ah well.

(it's mainly because I can't replace the dining room with anything. Otherwise it'd be about as good as the truck depot.)

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Finished the story mode of the last game, didn't die once after about 20 hours of play and wanted more challenge. Started a new game and purposely killed off Maya and Marcus right when I moved into the church. I'm also always speed-searching stuff to make the zombies come running more often. Really ups the challenge.

Question for people who killed off Marcus and Maya, did you get two replacements? I only got one replacement, Ed's still sick, I can't switch to anyone else, and I have Hurt status. I wanted a good challenge but this is kinda nuts!

Last question - I forgot from my first play through - does it take a while of progressing the story to be able to radio back home for scavengers? Or does the option just not come up if you have no influence?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
You get one survivor and Ed should get capped in the "downtime."

I think you get to call scavengers around the time you can get outposts, so either the cell-tower survey mission or after the vet clinic.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mental Midget posted:

Finished the story mode of the last game, didn't die once after about 20 hours of play and wanted more challenge. Started a new game and purposely killed off Maya and Marcus right when I moved into the church. I'm also always speed-searching stuff to make the zombies come running more often. Really ups the challenge.

Question for people who killed off Marcus and Maya, did you get two replacements? I only got one replacement, Ed's still sick, I can't switch to anyone else, and I have Hurt status. I wanted a good challenge but this is kinda nuts!

Last question - I forgot from my first play through - does it take a while of progressing the story to be able to radio back home for scavengers? Or does the option just not come up if you have no influence?

Another good self-imposed challenge is to try to stick with one or two vehicles and avoid using any of the random cars you find lying around.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mental Midget posted:

No, there's a (I had assumed) plot-specific thing that happens which means none of those three characters will ever be controllable again in that playthrough. Assuming of course that you ran M&M out into the trees as soon as you found the church.. I can't speak for whether or not things shift once you've progressed a story mission or two..?

2-Once you climb the water tower or do the vet office, you should be able to call for scavs.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I kind of wish there was a way to trade stuff with Lily. Everyone is rolling heavy with machine guns and sniper rifles, and she has some crappy rear end compact Glock.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Atmus posted:

I kind of wish there was a way to trade stuff with Lily. Everyone is rolling heavy with machine guns and sniper rifles, and she has some crappy rear end compact Glock.
I ended up taking one of my survivors on a one-way walkabout into the wilderness because she was a useless drunk who insisted on taking the .50 caliber revolver out of storage to use, no matter how many times I gave her a silenced assault rifle or Garand, etc.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

coyo7e posted:

I ended up taking one of my survivors on a one-way walkabout into the wilderness because she was a useless drunk who insisted on taking the .50 caliber revolver out of storage to use, no matter how many times I gave her a silenced assault rifle or Garand, etc.

So Karen Tohlbert then?

Seriously, worst survivor 2013. No good traits, one out and out bad one, and for me at least she keeps wanting to go kill Juggernauts. I refuse to play as her and she just refuses to die. Never takes a good gun though. She keeps rearming herself with one of the 3000 Glock 17s I own.

So speaking of guns, do AI controlled survivors on your side use them?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Am I the only one who doesn't like the special infected much? They seem kind of out of place, and are more annoying than anything.

The game spawns so many SWAT and Army zeds that they just become pointlessly dull to fight all the time. Aside from that, I think the zombie AI is pretty well done.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how the game tries to treat SWAT/Army zombies as special in the first place. Oh you're bullet-proof? How cute :allears:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I don't mind the special infected other than the Juggernauts, mainly because they're schizophrenic about how hard they are to kill. Half the time I can kill them with a bit of trouble. The other half of the time, I run out of ammo and firebombs, my truck's destroyed after trying to run them over a dozen times, and they're ripping apart any NPCs with me.

And yeah it's kind of annoying how survivors freak out about armored zeds. "We have to kill them because obviously they're at the same threat level as the motherfuckers that either cause infestations (Screamers), cause massive damage and disease (Bloaters), or rip apart survivors like they're made of balsa wood (Ferals and Juggernauts)." I mean, yeah you can't shoot them, but I rarely see survivors go for their guns anyway. Hell, the SWAT ones are slower than normal zombies anyway.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing more types, and maybe a slight increase in spawn rate. Well, except for armored ones. With the number I've had to kill you'd think there was an entire town of SWAT officers.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Yeah I feel the same way about the specials, they are all pretty solid but Juggernauts seem to hit or miss as far as how easy they are to kill. Sometimes it feels like I can pop them in the back of the head a few times with a shotgun and they go down, sometimes I empty a ton of bullets into the back of their head and it doesn't do a thing. They're pretty easy to run from though and Molotovs are plentiful so that's usually how I do it if I don't just run away.

Ferals are what really scare me though, as easy as they are when you are prepared for them, if they catch you off guard and there are other zombies around they can gently caress you up in a hurry.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bruc posted:

Yeah I feel the same way about the specials, they are all pretty solid but Juggernauts seem to hit or miss as far as how easy they are to kill. Sometimes it feels like I can pop them in the back of the head a few times with a shotgun and they go down, sometimes I empty a ton of bullets into the back of their head and it doesn't do a thing. They're pretty easy to run from though and Molotovs are plentiful so that's usually how I do it if I don't just run away.

Ferals are what really scare me though, as easy as they are when you are prepared for them, if they catch you off guard and there are other zombies around they can gently caress you up in a hurry.

For me, ferals immediately get all of my attention if I hear they're growl. I would always let my survivor buddies die to the fatty fat tits if a feral so much as growled anywhere near me. "Fatty chowin down on your face? Too bad bitch, you're expendable as all hell."

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
While I've had survivors injured by ferals, I think only Marcus has died to one (and it was intentional). Guess I've been lucky. I'm fast on abusing the dodge, I'm good at timing the hits to hit their jittery asses when they charge, and I generally encounter them alone.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Ferals are the only thing that has ever actually killed me in this game. I've died four times over the course of two playthroughs and it was all because I got caught off-guard by a Feral during a scavenging run.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Juggernauts have killed me more than anything else, usually because I'm so busy dodging it after it eats 20 bullets without a dent (despite sometimes dropping to a few shots - really unpredictable), I wind up backing into another zombie or two. With zero stamina, I get away, but by that point the fat bastard is waiting to rip me in half and chow down. Always carry snacks.

Mountain Lightning posted:

So Karen Tohlbert then?

Seriously, worst survivor 2013. No good traits, one out and out bad one, and for me at least she keeps wanting to go kill Juggernauts. I refuse to play as her and she just refuses to die. Never takes a good gun though. She keeps rearming herself with one of the 3000 Glock 17s I own.

I run her into a horde ASAP when I pick her up. Horrible survivor to have in a group. I also kill Jacob literally every time, he's constantly sad and in need of cheer-up missions.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Another thing that bugs me is that "History - Ran Away" replaces the moods forever. Half my crew has run away at some point, but I'm more interested in whether they are likely to run away again.

I really like this game, but it's so obvious that they could have added just a little bit more here and there. I shouldn't complain too much as it's well worth what I paid and blows away any expectations I'd have had from an Arcade title, but there are a lot of little things that could have been fleshed out just a little bit more.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ I'd say it's more "obvious" that they had to reign in their plans, there are a ton of systems that are basically vestigial, the kind of thing that happens when you don't have the time or budget to complete and then you end up pushing against a deadline to the point where you can't even properly obscure the fact that they wre supposed to be there and doing something.

The Berzerker posted:

Juggernauts have killed me more than anything else, usually because I'm so busy dodging it after it eats 20 bullets without a dent (despite sometimes dropping to a few shots - really unpredictable), I wind up backing into another zombie or two. With zero stamina, I get away, but by that point the fat bastard is waiting to rip me in half and chow down. Always carry snacks.

I run her into a horde ASAP when I pick her up. Horrible survivor to have in a group. I also kill Jacob literally every time, he's constantly sad and in need of cheer-up missions.
Haha, it was Karen Tolbert actually. She usually doesn't insist on using some ridiculous gun I would rather throw out, though. Jacob's alright though, he's another powerhouse and once he glitched and had Marcus' voice (actually, nearly every male character ended up with Marcus' voice that game, it was almost like it was a communicable disease, because I would find a guy and then come back later and he'd be talking like Marcus.)

I don't really have trouble with juggernauts any longer and have begun concentrating on meleeing them down more than shooting - it seems like bullet spray and the way they stand a lot, makes it really hard to get a consistent headshot - although I did pull a "bald bull stunner" once on a rushing one with a lucky revolver shot from a .357. Mostly though I just pop a snack and start rolling and hitting them in the rear end, generally after 1 molotov. If there's a survivor nearby I concentrate on not letting them get squished however it's pretty easy to take them down with any old weapon as long as you're not being dogpiled or exhausted as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 10, 2013

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Problem is, I never have a reason to carry molotovs/grenades/mines unless I know a juggernaut's waiting (i.e. Karen decided to get trashed and go hunting again). To me, they don't really justify a slot outside of juggernaut hunting and occasionally infestations. If I carry them randomly, as a just in case thing, I never see something worth using on unless I go out of the way to aggro a horde. Then I feel "RPG elixer" syndrome kick in about wasting them, despite the fact that I have enough petrol bombs to fuel the fleet of cars I have for weeks, and enough alcohol firebombs to open three bars.

Of course, when I'm not carrying them is of course the time to send three of them after me in a loving storage shed. :shepicide:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I make a point to give pretty much everyone at least 2 molotovs or frags or something, on the assumption that the level and variety of gear they carry possibly increasing the chances of them not loving up and running away.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I never used to carry molotovs until I realized I had like 200 of the drat things, now I bring a stack any time I go out on any sort of run. If I wind up not needing them I have no problem destroying them since I'll probably find 9 more of them in the next bookshelf I see. Or, if I've got a vehicle and solid health, I'll just use them to burn up a bunch of zombies in the general area for kicks.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

The Berzerker posted:

I never used to carry molotovs until I realized I had like 200 of the drat things, now I bring a stack any time I go out on any sort of run. If I wind up not needing them I have no problem destroying them since I'll probably find 9 more of them in the next bookshelf I see. Or, if I've got a vehicle and solid health, I'll just use them to burn up a bunch of zombies in the general area for kicks.

Molotvs and the such are always a great "oh poo poo" button. I always carry a stack of those things. If you suddenly get swarmed, you can run away from the horde and toss a molotov behind your back while running away. Saved my rear end many times.

Also, if you're with a partner and they get swarmed, just toss a molotov at the whole group. Sure your friend will be set on fire, and it will be hilarious, but at least you saved their life. Of course, you'll get a "Trust loss" message, but I'm into 30+ hours of the game and haven't seen that trust thing impact it in any meaningful way.

The only thing I don't like is trying to aim the molotovs, you have to pretend there's a crosshairs in front of you when you're throwing one. I always tend to overshoot it. Takes a bit of practice to get the timing down.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

coyo7e posted:

(actually, nearly every male character ended up with Marcus' voice that game, it was almost like it was a communicable disease, because I would find a guy and then come back later and he'd be talking like Marcus.)

Wait does Marcus have a unique voice? Cause it seems he has the generic voice of everyone else, it seems that Ed is the only "unique" guy. He talks different and his lines are also different. Everyone else that isn't Alan or Lily sound like Maya and Marcus.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Berzerker posted:

Not to mention that, combined with the tower upgrade to give bonuses to train shooting, you can get a newbie survivor to 4-7 stars of shooting pretty dang quick by firing up a handful of hordes. ;)

Mines are good for this as well since you can lay them and walk off and then get the xp later when a horde hits them (if you're lucky.) I'm a bit leery of doing this often myself though, I worry about hitting one with my car accidentally or something - can they kill me? ;)

Leal posted:

Wait does Marcus have a unique voice? Cause it seems he has the generic voice of everyone else, it seems that Ed is the only "unique" guy. He talks different and his lines are also different. Everyone else that isn't Alan or Lily sound like Maya and Marcus.
Not entirely unique however, random survivors with his voice seem to sometimes have a slightly different selection of phrases and stuff they use, that I don't recall ever hearing him say (outside of that weird glitched time.) They won't have some of the dialogue Marcus has in some circumstances, either - such as visiting the Wilkersons when Lily warns you they don't like smartasses.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 10, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Leal posted:

Ed, Jacob, and Sam all have unique voices. Maya and Marcus have semi-unique voices - the same voice actors also do most of the random survivor voices, but Marcus and Maya get a bunch of unique lines no one else gets. If you take Maya to do the military missions the sergeant will recognize her, for example.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Well I decided to tool around with a save editor for a bit. I set Alan to be my friend, then ran off and got him killed. Now I'm waiting to see if he'll rise up from the dead to kill the pastor then return to being torn in half. Also, he didn't have a special eulogy in the game, in case anyone was wondering. I also took control of Lily for fun and used her to rescue Jacob. Her voice is only used for her agree, disagree, and taunt, and even those only get one line each. Her cheer uses some male voice, which is kind of funny, and dialogue during missions is unvoiced, so it usually gets skipped and the next line of dialogue is played by default.

As for addiction, I saw some traits that would mark characters as being addicted to certain drugs, though I didn't put them on anyone so I have no clue what they actually do.

EDIT:

Mister Bates posted:

Ed, Jacob, and Sam all have unique voices. Maya and Marcus have semi-unique voices - the same voice actors also do most of the random survivor voices, but Marcus and Maya get a bunch of unique lines no one else gets. If you take Maya to do the military missions the sergeant will recognize her, for example.

Also thought I'd mention that Sam doesn't actually have a unique voice. I got some random survivor from a friendly enclave and I checked her voice and it's literally listed as "Trait.Voice.SAM"

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 11, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm pretty sure Ed and Jacob aren't (completely) unique voice-sets either, because I've had several guys in my enclave who sound like either of them. The characters get unique things to say because of the story, but their voices are used for regular characters too.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Game finally got rated for an Australian release. Also the game is out in South Africa and New Zealand after some complications. Nothing has been changed for the South Africa or New Zealand release.
http://undeadlabs.com/2013/07/news/in-joyful-strains-let-us-sing/

Bonus Drop Bear

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Are people still playing this game? Is there a full gun list some where?

Also, how long have people been able to play this game? I mean, there is a point where you just run out of being able to find supplies right?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm mostly burnt out on it and have moved onto other games. It was fun, though.

You can last for quite a while - it depends on a number of factors, especially your base and group size. The larger the group, the faster you burn through your stockpile, the more you'll need to loot. If you keep your group small and manage to avoid a lot of the random events that require materials usage, you can go for quite some time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Colt Cannon posted:

Also, how long have people been able to play this game? I mean, there is a point where you just run out of being able to find supplies right?

It was the longest I have ever played an Arcade game, especially when you consider the marathon session I played for. I still see myself going back to it now and again.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Colt Cannon posted:

I put around 40-50 hours into the game. I'm playing other things right now, but I'm sure I'll pick it up again later, especially once the sandbox DLC comes out.

Here's a link to the wiki:
http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/Firearms

It's the general firearms page, but if you click on the specific firearm type articles they have full lists of weapons.

It's possible to produce a few essentials in the game, so you could potentially go for quite awhile before you're completely screwed on supplies.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
Really? State of Decay?

Not Splunky? Trials? Minecraft? Any of the Duels? Gotham City Imposters? Hell even Peggle or PuzzleQuest?

It's a good game for its pricepoint, and a great demo for hopefully laying the groundwork for a fleshed out sequal. However, I can't see it being a huge timesink. It starts out looking amazing, but you quickly realise there's no real depth and for a game trying to make zombies scary again its absolutely simple to survive forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dirty Karma posted:

Really? State of Decay?

Not Splunky? Trials? Minecraft? Any of the Duels? Gotham City Imposters? Hell even Peggle or PuzzleQuest?

It's a good game for its pricepoint, and a great demo for hopefully laying the groundwork for a fleshed out sequal. However, I can't see it being a huge timesink. It starts out looking amazing, but you quickly realise there's no real depth and for a game trying to make zombies scary again its absolutely simple to survive forever.

Are you really going to start throwing a fit because I dared to have fun loving around with the game?

• Locked thread