Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
FYI for IMS - the teachers really aren't kidding when they say "you may come in on a weekend to paint." ...Currently, I am painting the IPC. Just has to be done.

Additional duties :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

FYI for IMS - the teachers really aren't kidding when they say "you may come in on a weekend to paint." ...Currently, I am painting the IPC. Just has to be done.

What color?

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
IP

the_chavi posted:

What color?

IPC color schema are classified.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scipio posted:

I understand, and sorry for the attempted threadjack. The denial was a 214b, so I guess we're stuck for awhile. I'm just still in shock over the denial, probably just because my wife and I had such an easy time when we went through our K-1 visa.

Sorry for the attempted threadjack, but this is the only thread he's responded to in almost two years,

Paging Scipio to the Spaceflight megathread, you are in charge of the goon World Community Grid group and appear to be AFK, would you mind handing over the keys? There are still 53 active members, still ranked in the top 600.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/109997

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shotar-Didi
Jul 7, 2013
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's been providing insight and guidance here. I only just now got an account, but I've been reading through the forum since early last year, when I realized it was past time I changed up my job and decided to register for the FSOT. (Up till my current job, I've been able to move somewhere entirely new every couple-few years, sometimes getting to intensively use a different language, and both my feet and my brain were starting to feel awfully metaphorically itchy without that.) Your posts helped a lot as I was going through the application process.

In terms of my progress, I've been sitting on the POL register with a 5.7 since February of this year. I went ahead and started a second candidacy, too, since I was getting antsy about so many A-100s passing me by. Just found out I passed the FSOT again, so I'll see what happens in QEP.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

What color?

it depends. We're still debating drawing a mural or not.. We're just waiting for .. more paint.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
For all you courier hopefuls,

Department Of State posted:

FOREIGN SERVICE DIPLOMATIC COURIER VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

1. This is to inform that a vacancy announcement for
Foreign Service Diplomatic Couriers will open on July 9,
2013. It will close on July 15, 2013. The announcement is
available on https://www.careers.state.gov.

These opportunities rarely show up (usually when one retires, and even then..) best of luck if you are considering applying!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Skandiaavity posted:

For all you courier hopefuls,

These opportunities rarely show up (usually when one retires, and even then..) best of luck if you are considering applying!

I might apply for this. It'd at least be something I can do while waiting for DS to open up. And a courier gig doesn't sound half bad for me right now, even if I basically have zero realistic chance of getting an invitation.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
Please tell me how poor of an idea it is to use a gaming experience in my PNQ answers. Right now I'm leaning towards using a less relevant situation for the communication skills question, but I would feel more comfortable with the gaming one.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Stolennosferatu posted:

Please tell me how poor of an idea it is to use a gaming experience in my PNQ answers. Right now I'm leaning towards using a less relevant situation for the communication skills question, but I would feel more comfortable with the gaming one.

My instinct is that this is a bad idea, but I have no first hand examples to back that up.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Bruxism posted:

My instinct is that this is a bad idea, but I have no first hand examples to back that up.

Unless you're an IMS.

I talked WoW after my interview. Oh and the best part was the the guy was like, "would you know lawyer so and so in Alaska?" Yeah he was my coach in Mock Trial. Oh, we're good friends from college and still see each other every few years when I'm on Home Leave.

Small world dudes.

TCD fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 8, 2013

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I think that you would really, really be rolling the dice, and that those dice are not weighted in your favor. You may get someone who understands gaming and/or values that kind of alternative leadership and social interaction, but I think that it's way more likely that your reviewer won't value or be able to relate to that experience at all.

I'm no expert, though.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The QEP panel is probably not going to understand it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would never, ever in a million years risk putting anything internet or videogame related for a federal job. Or anything that didn't involve maybe making video games or applying as a community manager for something.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
I've kept my less mainstream hobbies on the down-low since I started law school in 1997.

For some reason, judges aren't impressed by the exploits of my Black Templars or the paint scheme I chose for my Tyranid army . . .

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
It depends on how charismatic you are. You have to be able to relate that in a way - like teleworking - how that has a real world impact. That's the hard part. Could you relate the situation in a way to someone who's never even seen/heard the video game before? If it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things, well, count it out.

You'd need a pretty concise example. for example if you were communicating in multiple languages (some MMO offer that); that can be a useful one. you try to use in-game gestures to communicate effectively. (there's a flip side to that though). You'll probably also have to state you're aware it's "not the same" (gaming/reality), but rather emphasize an underlying point (in the example, you try to find alternate communication methods).

edit: all said and done i would use something else. Gaming, like the Internet, is hard to relate to without some kind of lengthy backstory or familiarity; given the anonymity factor and how people behave.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 9, 2013

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

So, what if my example doesn't strictly relate to the game - like running a major community event/tournament, and I simply describe the effort needed to get all the people and things in place to run a successful event. Still too much video game, or would that make it to being relevant to the panel, since it isn't specifically about the game?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

So, what if my example doesn't strictly relate to the game - like running a major community event/tournament, and I simply describe the effort needed to get all the people and things in place to run a successful event. Still too much video game, or would that make it to being relevant to the panel, since it isn't specifically about the game?

You're going to have to describe the event. If I were to say "I'm responsible for bringing a variety of people from different backgrounds together to accomplish a combined goal" - While it sounds great, it lacks context. I could be talking about a WoW raid, a church funded potluck or a KKK rally. Because the rest of that statement is supposed to be "As [job/position] I'm responsible blah blah blah".

It's best to leave the internet/gaming out of it. After the process is done like TCD said is one thing, using them in your PNQ/OA/BEX statements is another.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Yes. If you run the show, explaining the process, effort, your role in it etc. I found the event itself is a more subtle point. The QEP likely won't understand the "tournament/gaming" aspect of it but they can easily understand the event planning, effort, communications barriers, etc - the more business-like areas. So if you're set on it, the 'gaming/e-Sports' aspect should be no more than a passing description. You want to focus on the other end of things, the fundraising/money, # of attendees, communication methods (i.e. social media, advertising, etc)

If I can be direct, a business trick I learned was "so what?" Like Vasudus said, any kind of interview, written or oral, usually wants to hear your statements backed up. You ran a tournament.. so what? There are thousands of tournaments.. what makes yours special/relevant to the QEP? What happened? More importantly, how would it tie into the 13 Dimensions? They're going to expect either specific examples or rough spots/failures and how you overcame them/valuable lessons learned.

Note that also applies to the physical sports as well. writing about how you were state champions at Polk High isn't going to do you much.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I don't think there is anything inherently bad about using a gaming experience. It really depends on the experience and how you write it up. The QEP response should be about you and what you did; everything else is just context. I would think that you could explain what it took to run the guild or organize an event. If its a good experience and example, don't shy away just because isn't mainstream. I'd look at it for you if you wanted.

Keep in mind a Problem, Action, Result format. What was the issue or challenge, what did you do, and what happened as a result?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Nutrimentia posted:

I don't think there is anything inherently bad about using a gaming experience. It really depends on the experience and how you write it up. The QEP response should be about you and what you did; everything else is just context. I would think that you could explain what it took to run the guild or organize an event. If its a good experience and example, don't shy away just because isn't mainstream. I'd look at it for you if you wanted.

Keep in mind a Problem, Action, Result format. What was the issue or challenge, what did you do, and what happened as a result?

And don't get lost in the weeds.

Example. Director/diplomat in Eve convinces another major alliance in Eve to join forces and force CCP to implement a change on Titans. This would mean nothing to anybody.

However, this might be an okay starting point.
As the organize of a social network with 5000 members I convinced another network of approximately 4000 people to join my cause and lobby the game designer to implement my suggestions for the betterment of the entire social community which numbers almost 50,000 people. After these improvements, the company has continued to attract subscribers and further develop the social interaction and coordination with the entire community. The company now has 57,000 subcribers, a 7,000 increase that mostly due to my ideas and efforts.

Still, tread very carefully with video game stuff.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
We are confirmed for Oakwood Rosslyn, so I was wondering about using the DoS shuttle our first day (going to Main State). Our packet says that our travel orders *should* be good enough to get us on without a badge, but does anyone else have experience with that?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

d1rtbag posted:

We are confirmed for Oakwood Rosslyn, so I was wondering about using the DoS shuttle our first day (going to Main State). Our packet says that our travel orders *should* be good enough to get us on without a badge, but does anyone else have experience with that?
I'm guessing they probably know that there are hire classes starting with newbies without badges.

Don't stress about it too much.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

d1rtbag posted:

Welcome to Rosslyn :getin:

Your travel orders and a photo-ID will be enough to get you on. In the morning, the Oakwood/Ruby Tuesday shuttles are almost all bound for FSI. Make sure you look at the sign on the side as it pulls up. The bottom of it has final the destination (it'll read FSI - > Rosslyn - > Main State/HST), so make sure you pick the right one.

If you miss that one, there's another across the street from SA-15 that heads to HST on a more infrequent basis.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
And you can always ask the driver if you don't see the destination sign.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

d1rtbag posted:

I think I may be in the same location as you (my address says "Arlington" but looking at the Oakwoods site I think we are in the same place).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Applied to the Diplomatic Courier position because why the hell not. Though since the requirements are so low I can't fathom how many people are going to apply. Going to be some serious hiring agent hunger games going on to see who gets a BEX invite for that one.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

d1rtbag posted:

You are going to need a taxi the first day at Main State. This will only really apply that first day. They want your there earlier than the shuttle can guarantee. You will want to book a taxi by phone or online the night before as flagging in the morning is tricky. Red Top taxi has been pretty reliable.
You can PM me for other Rosslyn specifics. My wife is the FSO we have been here since May and she would be happy to answer any questions you might have also.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

SCRwM posted:

I think I may be in the same location as you (my address says "Arlington" but looking at the Oakwoods site I think we are in the same place).

Yep -- it's officially Oakwood Arlington, but it seems like everyone calls it "Rosslyn". Are you planning to go to the Sunday evening happy hour at the Rock Bottom Brewery? My wife and I will be there.

If you want to get in touch with me, my email is dan[dot]hoffman[at]post[dot]com.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
You will need to take a taxi or metro (and run) to make the first day. They want you there pretty early and HR is a little prompt about it.

If you take the shuttle you will be assuredly late as it stops by FSI first. Network when you get in, maybe someone has a car or doesnt mind splitting a taxi. It should be no more than $10-15 from Rosslyn to Main State. Keep in mind this is only the first, maybe the second, day.

Make sure the Oakwood (Arlington) isn't the one in Court House... there are 3 or 4 of them along Wilson Blvd. If I am remembering right the "Rosslyn" one is by downtown/the building with the huge TV screen.

Just a reminder that from that Day 1, your corridor reputation officially begins. Also, start networking. :ssh:

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
I'm working on my PNs and since I'm a LES at an Embassy already, a couple of the examples I have involve dealing with State bureaucracy and FSOs or FSSs not doing their jobs or putting up unnecessary bureaucratic hurdles. Of course I would not criticize the State Dept in my PNs but these were examples in which the FSO did not do his job and I had to find a way around that to get my job done. I'm thinking that these examples might brand me a trouble maker if I use them. But they are great examples. What do you all think?

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

d1rtbag posted:

Yep -- it's officially Oakwood Arlington, but it seems like everyone calls it "Rosslyn". Are you planning to go to the Sunday evening happy hour at the Rock Bottom Brewery? My wife and I will be there.

If you want to get in touch with me, my email is dan[dot]hoffman[at]post[dot]com.

Arlington is a county and is not descriptive as an actual way to find something, so people will generally be more descriptive and name the neighborhood/metro stop, like Rosslyn or Clarendon.

I would just take a cab. The main state building is about a half mile from the metro. It's not a hard walk at all, but its loving hot even in the morning and I wouldn't want to be sweaty in a suit on my first day.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

d1rtbag posted:

Yeah we're planning on going to it. Dropping you a note now.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided not to use the example (for the interpersonal question, I was going to talk about how I convinced a friend to take a certain course of action in a game) since it would've taken a long back story. Without the gaming back story it's just a really vague instance of me convincing someone.
Mostly though, it was the overwhelmingly negative response that made me reconsider.
Thanks SA!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Giodo! posted:

Arlington is a county and is not descriptive as an actual way to find something, so people will generally be more descriptive and name the neighborhood/metro stop, like Rosslyn or Clarendon.

I would just take a cab. The main state building is about a half mile from the metro. It's not a hard walk at all, but its loving hot even in the morning and I wouldn't want to be sweaty in a suit on my first day.

Yeah, I was going to suggest walking from the metro, but then I remembered what month it is in DC.

Cab it.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

SCRwM posted:

Yeah we're planning on going to it. Dropping you a note now.

Gave dirtbag my ## and have no problem with passing that on to you.

Just flew back from California today. They do the on board safety briefing as they drive you by the Asiana wreck and tell you to pay attention.

Also I took the taxi back from Dulles today. I don't know if anyone is flying in from there but it was $52 to my door in Rosslyn +tip. The meter read about $42 as we passed the Falls Church exit. The guy didn't charge me for the kids but each added adult adds $1.50.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
That's a bit on the high side for just going to Rosslyn, but within reasonable depending on your traffic. It used to cost me around 60-65 from Alexandria.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
And that's why I prefer to use Reagan.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Strudelmeyer posted:

Gave dirtbag my ## and have no problem with passing that on to you.

Just flew back from California today. They do the on board safety briefing as they drive you by the Asiana wreck and tell you to pay attention.

Also I took the taxi back from Dulles today. I don't know if anyone is flying in from there but it was $52 to my door in Rosslyn +tip. The meter read about $42 as we passed the Falls Church exit. The guy didn't charge me for the kids but each added adult adds $1.50.

There is one other guy on here who is staying near the Rosslyn Oakwoods so there may be 4 of us to split a cab and roll in to Main State on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
I could never pay that much, unless it was like four people or I was expensing it. The 5A bus goes directly from Dulles airport to Rosslyn Metro every half hour for like $6...