Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cool Matty posted:

I don't use it much, but under light load it's estimating about 1-2 hours less, but if you hammer it (think gaming), it will gladly go down to 3 hours or so.

Edit: This is a 13" MBA 2013.

Cool Matty posted:

I don't use it much, but under light load it's estimating about 1-2 hours less, but if you hammer it (think gaming), it will gladly go down to 3 hours or so.

Edit: This is a 13" MBA 2013.

Using Win 8 on 11 MBA and 12 RMBP 2 things. No direct Win 8 13 MBA experience.

1. Windows 8 takes up at least around 30GB, so try to give it at least 68 GB if you want to load up more than 1 game.

2. Battery life will likely be horrid compared to OSX. I would not be suprised to get 4 hours instead of 12 in OSX. Also watch out for hardlocks/sleep locks that will peg the CPU. If you have one of these going while charging you can end up having the MBA continiusly running the fan while charging. It's got to be bad for the battery/service life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I wish Apple would just resurrect the glorious 17" Powerbook as a $4k desktop replacement for professionals. With a 4k display and a monster 60W mobile GPU.

Another whole generation with (roughly) the same graphic performance as the first generation retina is going to be annoying (despite OS/software/driver optimisations) and I really don’t care about more than 3 hours of battery life.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fookolt posted:

Wait, how do you figure that?

Can't speak for tirinal (whoops, efb!), but I think the CPU being a Crystalwell (aka Iris Pro 5200) strongly implies no discrete graphics. It isn't impossible to do dual graphics with Crystalwell, but a regular HD 4600 i7 makes so much more sense in that case. If you have a discrete GPU, you don't need Crystalwell graphics, and the regular i7s are cheaper, clock higher, and have more L3 cache. Speaking of which:

quote:

What's up with that lower L3 cache?

It's not known for certain, but I've seen some speculation about it which I suspect is true.

Crystalwell consists of a GT3 Haswell CPU chip plus a 50 GB/s 128MB L4 eDRAM cache chip, both mounted to a single package. The L4 cache is what gives it a large graphics performance advantage over a regular GT3 Haswell, which has the same amount of GPU compute power. Fast GPUs can be very bandwidth limited. (The L4 helps CPU performance too, by the way.)

All caches consist of two memory arrays: data and tag. The sizes you see quoted refer only to the data array, so a "1MB" cache can hold 1MB of actual data. The tag memory is the filing system, extra memory that tracks what's currently stored in the data array. The data array is divided into "lines" (usually 64 bytes for x86 processors), and every line needs one tag entry. Tag size is therefore proportional to the number of lines in a cache.

A 128MB cache is going to need a lot of tag memory. Though it would be possible to store the tags on the eDRAM L4 cache chip alongside the L4 data array, SRAM tags located in the CPU chip would be a lot faster. That much tag SRAM would take a lot of die area, so Intel may have sacrificed 2MB of L3 cache SRAM to help keep the die size (and therefore cost) down.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 9, 2013

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Anyone else having the reported wifi issues with the new Airs? I got a 2013 11". Works without issues with my home wifi (WPA2 personal) but conks out after a while at work (WPA2 enterprise with user auth). It's fairly annoying lemme tellya - it works for a few minutes, then drops even though the wifi icon still shows it being connected. DHCP lease and routes are retained, looks like a driver/chipset sleep issue. I have to turn wifi off and on again to get it to connect, and sometimes have to restart.

Also battery life difference between Safari v Chrome is significant, especially if flash is involved.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The fun you can have with two webcams:

edit:

Bob Morales posted:

:ssh: then it's not sleeping. Something is keeping it awake, most likely some third-party software.

I'll try the new one and see if I find anything doing this.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 9, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I have recently decided that I am going to be purchasing an iMac for the family computer and shedding ourselves of our various laptops and kids computers which are getting minimal use. I am not asking about whether or not there are new iMacs on the horizon as no one truly knows, but wanted to find out what deals you guys typically wait for before pulling the trigger on one. I'm scouting the refurb store right now and am fine with that price, but am not aware of the cadence or typical specials that occur throughout the year. Are we approaching a time when one is more likely or is there probably going to be a drought until later in the year? Just hoping to get a little intel on making sure I don't make the purchase just outside the window where I can get a better deal/special.

Appreciate any feedback, and looking forward to getting that thin beast.

Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well right now there's a back to school special where you get a $100 App store gift card. Also if someone in your family has a valid .edu email address you can get a slight discount on the computer. Other than that you'll be hard pressed to find a special.

One other thing to check is if your credit card has any discounts. My mom bought an MBA with her Discover and got 5% cashback.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Also if someone in your family has a valid .edu email address you can get a slight discount on the computer.
They check for .edu email address now? Is this a new thing in the past 2 years? Because online they just ask you to pick a (local) university that you're affiliated with. When I bought my MBA online 2 years ago they did no follow-up at all, though I was prepared for it.

The $100 App Store gift card promo runs until September 6th, and the education discount is year-round. There has been some Black Friday discounting in the past couple years but they are basically the same as the education discounts (average $50 off for an iMac with maybe $10 off for a RAM upgrade) and I don't think they stack against the education discounts either.

e: just realized you're probably talking about in-store purchases where you need an .edu email address or acceptance letter or whathaveyou.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Education pricing offers a base discount on the machine plus other upgrades are also discounted and Apple Care gets a pretty good discount too.

I guess they don't check emails for online purchases. I was thinking of something else I had to get for work recently.

Some discounts might not stack online but if you call their sales people they can try stacking. I had a co-worker who bought a refurb iMac and he got the edu discount plus the refurb price.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 9, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I just went through the paces on the online (Canadian) store and a stock 2013 13" MBA with a RAM upgrade is $1139, which is a $60 discount ($50 for the base model, $10 for the upgrade). The 13" Retina MBP is $1399 after the $100 base model education discount. This... is interesting. There's no guarantee of a Haswell refresh before the $100 App Store gift card promo ends on September 6, but it's certainly possible if not probable. I think (possibly) getting a Retina screen for $160 is worth waiting for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Plus if he buys it and 14 days later a Haswell refresh does come out he can always return it no strings attached and get the new one. But he's talking about iMacs so you're probably not going to see Retina iMac anytime soon and Haswell won't really matter too much since power savings isn't a huge deal on a desktop.

Just pull the trigger now, and I recommend the 27" over the 21" for a ton of reasons.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 9, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Welp, just pulled the trigger on a rMBP for my nephew who needed a laptop and starts school soon, so I assume there will be a refresh a day after my return period ends.

YOU'RE WELCOME PEOPLE.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BobHoward posted:

Can't speak for tirinal (whoops, efb!), but I think the CPU being a Crystalwell (aka Iris Pro 5200) strongly implies no discrete graphics. It isn't impossible to do dual graphics with Crystalwell, but a regular HD 4600 i7 makes so much more sense in that case. If you have a discrete GPU, you don't need Crystalwell graphics, and the regular i7s are cheaper, clock higher, and have more L3 cache. Speaking of which:

It's not known for certain, but I've seen some speculation about it which I suspect is true.

Crystalwell consists of a GT3 Haswell CPU chip plus a 50 GB/s 128MB L4 eDRAM cache chip, both mounted to a single package. The L4 cache is what gives it a large graphics performance advantage over a regular GT3 Haswell, which has the same amount of GPU compute power. Fast GPUs can be very bandwidth limited. (The L4 helps CPU performance too, by the way.)

All caches consist of two memory arrays: data and tag. The sizes you see quoted refer only to the data array, so a "1MB" cache can hold 1MB of actual data. The tag memory is the filing system, extra memory that tracks what's currently stored in the data array. The data array is divided into "lines" (usually 64 bytes for x86 processors), and every line needs one tag entry. Tag size is therefore proportional to the number of lines in a cache.

A 128MB cache is going to need a lot of tag memory. Though it would be possible to store the tags on the eDRAM L4 cache chip alongside the L4 data array, SRAM tags located in the CPU chip would be a lot faster. That much tag SRAM would take a lot of die area, so Intel may have sacrificed 2MB of L3 cache SRAM to help keep the die size (and therefore cost) down.

Has intel confirmed that the eDRAM is used transparently as an L4 cache? Because that makes up for a small loss in L3 (and I know a lot of people wanted crystalwell on desktop if that were the case).

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Joe Don Baker posted:

Just pull the trigger now, and I recommend the 27" over the 21" for a ton of reasons.

Do you mind running through them? Using Windows on anything bigger than a 24" is not enjoyable or comfortable for me and I have turned to using two 23" monitors instead. The differences between the 21" and 27" refurbs on the UK store are 5400rpm HDD instead of 7200rpm, and an NVIDIA GT 650M instead of an NVIDIA GTX 660M (respectively). The GPU makes little to no difference for what I'll be using it for and I'll only be using the local HDD for the OS and software (files will be on NAS).

Although it's been ages since I've tested 5400rpm against 7200rpm so I may be underestimating the difference in speed :ohdear:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

5400RPM drives are terrible but ideally you should do a Fusion drive anyway, which the 21" can do. One other thing is that the RAM is NOT user upgradeable on the 21" but is on the bigger one. If you do get the 21" max out the RAM. The graphics are apparently not a concern for you, so I guess if you're sure it meets your needs go for it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Welp, just pulled the trigger on a rMBP for my nephew who needed a laptop and starts school soon, so I assume there will be a refresh a day after my return period ends.

YOU'RE WELCOME PEOPLE.

You can return a computer any time before a month if a new one comes out. This is why Apple is such a cool company.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

YOU'RE WELCOME PEOPLE.

I'm in the same boat. Couldn't wait any longer (I've been waiting for about a month) and pulled the trigger on a 13" rMBP last night. Let's hope the new ones aren't too awesome when they come out in a month or so.

Also, can I be your nephew too?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

YOU'RE WELCOME PEOPLE.
Haha, thanks. Although, I think an event would be in line with a Haswell RMBP update, and at this point it would have to be an August event and August events aren't exactly common. All the same a man can hope (and fall back on buying a Haswell MBA in early September for his use case).

I remember hearing about problems with the RMBP after it came out, maybe it was just the 15" but among them had to to with image retention. Have most of those ceased to be a concern? At this point (and at Haswell) would it be reasonable to say most of the wrinkles of it being first-gen hardware have been ironed out?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I'm having a problem where external eSata drives on my work computer wont mount until I reboot the system entirely. I can only connect and disconnect one or two things before I have to reboot.

It's a mid 2010 mac pro, running 10.7. I swapped out the old esata card with a new one (Temp SATA Pro 6gb) but I'm having the exact same problems. Could the PCI port possibly be dying? Or is it a software issue (please be a software issue).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Selklubber posted:

The fun you can have with two webcams:

edit:

I'll try the new one and see if I find anything doing this.

Or if you go back to your Mac and then back again

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Joe Don Baker posted:

One other thing is that the RAM is NOT user upgradeable on the 21" but is on the bigger one. If you do get the 21" max out the RAM.
You can upgrade it, it's just not as simple as it was in the previous model.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2012_21.5/DDR3L

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks everyone, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for re: 21" iMac. I would consider the 27", but the space that it is going in only has a clearance of 21" and the iMac sits at 20.25" with the stand. Does the 30 day return if a new one is released apply for refurbs?

Getting the educational discount (which I can) and a $100 app store gift card may make it worthwhile not to do the refurb and reap all of the benefits of a brand new one and they're promotions.

I'll be dropping on one quite shortly! Thanks!

fake edit: Are there two hard drive bays on the iMac? Can I put the OS on a SSD and have the TB for storage?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

FCKGW posted:

I think i broke something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UST25_CBS1k

Anyways, using my G400 as a external mouse is awful, I'm getting horrible mouse acceleration. Googling didn't find much, have any of you fixed it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TraderStav posted:

Thanks everyone, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for re: 21" iMac. I would consider the 27", but the space that it is going in only has a clearance of 21" and the iMac sits at 20.25" with the stand. Does the 30 day return if a new one is released apply for refurbs?

Getting the educational discount (which I can) and a $100 app store gift card may make it worthwhile not to do the refurb and reap all of the benefits of a brand new one and they're promotions.

fake edit: Are there two hard drive bays on the iMac? Can I put the OS on a SSD and have the TB for storage?

Early models showed there isn't even an SSD connector on the 21" model. It uses the same SSD as the rMBP (AFAIK). But that wouldn't stop you from sticking a 2.5" SSD in the spot where the HD is (they don't have 3.5" drives like the previous model) and then just use an external enclosure for your storage drive, it has USB 3.0....

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I'd love for there to be a $1500 13" rMPB with Iris 5200. That's not going to happen, is it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Early models showed there isn't even an SSD connector on the 21" model. It uses the same SSD as the rMBP (AFAIK). But that wouldn't stop you from sticking a 2.5" SSD in the spot where the HD is (they don't have 3.5" drives like the previous model) and then just use an external enclosure for your storage drive, it has USB 3.0....

Hrmm... that really is making me second guess my decision to go with the new model. I'd imagine that getting a 2011 one and putting a SSD in there for the OS would more than make up for any speed losses that I would likely encounter. I'm hardly doing any heavy lifting on this thing. I MAY one day put a game or two on there...

But the thin is so sexy.

syncathetic
Oct 21, 2010

Selklubber posted:

Anyways, using my G400 as a external mouse is awful, I'm getting horrible mouse acceleration. Googling didn't find much, have any of you fixed it?

I don't know what you mean by 'horrible' mouse acceleration, but SmoothMouse can make it feel more like Windows.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Selklubber posted:

I think i broke something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UST25_CBS1k

Did you install the Logitech drivers?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Smoothmouse fixed the problem, it works fine now.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So, is there any information on about how long it usually takes new computers to be available refurb? I'm seriously eyeing those 2013 Airs and that insane battery life, but I don't need the computer right now enough to justify full price. Think it'll be fairly soon, or does it usually take so long that I should just get the back to school deal instead?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yalborap posted:

So, is there any information on about how long it usually takes new computers to be available refurb?
3-6 months.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

Seeing a 2.4GHz Haswell CPU keeping pace (and outperforming a bit in a lot of cases) with a 2.8GHz Ivy refresh is nice to see.

I wonder what upgrade level that'll end up being. If it's the lowest one, like the 2.4 is in the Ivy models, it's pretty awesome that it stands up so well against the bells-and-whistles edition of the current rMBP.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

BobHoward posted:

Thanks so much; this is super interesting and well explained!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I'd love for there to be a $1500 13" rMPB with Iris 5200. That's not going to happen, is it?

A quick glance at the Haswell lineup leads me to believe that there aren't any dual-core i7s with the Iris 5200. I could have missed something though.

e: also, for those wondering what battery life on the new MBPs is like under Mavericks:

Obviously not realistic, but it was still fun to see :colbert:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 10, 2013

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
There are none. Also, voltage limits.

There is no way a 13" will have the 5200.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TraderStav posted:

You could get one with a Versa mount back instead of the stand and install the thin one into the space with a mount. Maybe, just maybe it gives you another option.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

chumpchous posted:

I'm having a problem where external eSata drives on my work computer wont mount until I reboot the system entirely. I can only connect and disconnect one or two things before I have to reboot.

It's a mid 2010 mac pro, running 10.7. I swapped out the old esata card with a new one (Temp SATA Pro 6gb) but I'm having the exact same problems. Could the PCI port possibly be dying? Or is it a software issue (please be a software issue).
Sure the setup supports hot plugging to begin with? The card or enclosure I had way way way back (with my G5!) didn't, although it sort of worked sometimes...other times it'd just fail or crash.

tirinal posted:

There are none. Also, voltage limits.

There is no way a 13" will have the 5200.
It appears to be getting the 5100 going by a Geekbench result a while back. Should be decent (hopefully), it's ultimately the best option possible out of Intel's lineup, and at a lower TDP than the previous models. I'm really interested in seeing what battery life it'll get.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Malcolm XML posted:

Has intel confirmed that the eDRAM is used transparently as an L4 cache? Because that makes up for a small loss in L3 (and I know a lot of people wanted crystalwell on desktop if that were the case).

Intel let Anandtech and a few other sites have access to a reference platform. It's been tested with Sandra, and as you can see from the curves, the eDRAM is definitely functioning as a L4 cache.

http://anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/3

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Technically possible, but no, it's not going to. The current rMBP 13" uses a 35W dual-core CPU. The Iris 5200 CPUs are all quadcore 47W, and need a special "cTDP up" mode (boosts TDP to 55W if the system's cooling can handle it) to get the most out of the 5200. (Anandtech's Iris 5200 preview covers this mode.) Apple's theme for this year is clearly ridiculous battery life, so 28W dual-core Iris 5100 seems like the obvous choice. (And for what they're worth, there's already leaked geekbench benchmarks of a 13" rMBP with 5100.) (e: f,b)

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Did Apple fix the UI scrolling issues on the 13 inch rMBP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Semi related to one of my favorite videos :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC8yl41v168