Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Goddamn, it's raining free games up in here.

Dead Space is a worthwhile play. Just don't be expecting it to be nearly as good as the console version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also it's more like Dead Space 1.5. It controls like DS1 but the story is set at the very beginning of DS2.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Old console emulation without controller support is really, really bad on the iPhone anyway. I'd like to see what iOS7's "Native controller support" means because if it means you can bluetooth up a PS3 controller or something that would be fantastic.

It's rumored that it will be controller cases, like so (blurry image taken from http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/17/photo-shows-prototype-logitech-made-for-iphone-gaming-controller):

Frankly, I'd be happy with that. Sure, there are specialty cases that do this kind of thing right now, but development for them is next to nil because only a handful of people own them. With "official support" and some marketing that says you can basically turn your phone into a PSP it could become a lot more common. As a wannabe-game developer I'm interested in putting my stuff on the iPhone, but the thought of having to develop virtual controls for action games is rather depressing. If it actually takes off, this would be the perfect solution.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
According to Popcap, Plants vs. Zombies 2 is out in AUS/NZ.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Deadeye Dick posted:

It's rumored that it will be controller cases, like so (blurry image taken from http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/17/photo-shows-prototype-logitech-made-for-iphone-gaming-controller):

Frankly, I'd be happy with that. Sure, there are specialty cases that do this kind of thing right now, but development for them is next to nil because only a handful of people own them. With "official support" and some marketing that says you can basically turn your phone into a PSP it could become a lot more common. As a wannabe-game developer I'm interested in putting my stuff on the iPhone, but the thought of having to develop virtual controls for action games is rather depressing. If it actually takes off, this would be the perfect solution.

I mean, that's a rumored prototype. Nothing saying that's the only style of controller that will come out (seems kind of unlikely, since that ties it to one specific phone body)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LittleCat posted:

I mean, that's a rumored prototype. Nothing saying that's the only style of controller that will come out (seems kind of unlikely, since that ties it to one specific phone body)

I want one that lets me hold it like an NDS, just instead of the bottom screen it's thumbsticks and d-pads and buttons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LittleCat posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple put out an "iphone 5 and (probable) 5S support only, upgrade or shut up" case. I don't think they'd do that particular one - it just doesn't ... look Appley enough to me, but the idea of them saying "Sorry, new phones only for this optional accessory" is plausible.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Psion posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple put out an "iphone 5 and (probable) 5S support only, upgrade or shut up" case. I don't think they'd do that particular one - it just doesn't ... look Appley enough to me, but the idea of them saying "Sorry, new phones only for this optional accessory" is plausible.

I don't think there's a first party one announced or planned, the new controller support deal in iOS 7 is a software standard. So we'll probably see cases and bluetooth stuff coming out once the OS actually drops.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

xzzy posted:

I want one that lets me hold it like an NDS, just instead of the bottom screen it's thumbsticks and d-pads and buttons.

The prototype looks perfectly acceptable to me, but when I first heard of it I kind of pictured something like a PS3 controller that the phone plugs or snaps into the top part.

I'm also assuming there will be stand alone type controllers that will work with any iPhone or iPad, baring OS restrictions.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't see why Apple would support controller shells for the pre-5 model, by the time anything comes out the 5S will be out. It would be a lot of extra expense to help convince people they don't need to upgrade.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Straight up locking that functionality out of pre-5 models (especially the 4S which I believe still has the market share) would be a real kick in the dick for any game developers hoping to support that functionality.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't see why Apple needs to manufacture its own case at all. Their strategy whenever something like this comes up is to wait and see if there really is high demand for it and later on, if it's a healthy enough market that they want a share of the pie, then they'll roll their own and raise everyone's standards.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Yodzilla posted:

Straight up locking that functionality out of pre-5 models (especially the 4S which I believe still has the market share) would be a real kick in the dick for any game developers hoping to support that functionality.

Yeah, I didn't think of it from the game developer point of view. If Apple cares about game devs implementing the controls, they should make it available to the largest market, you're right.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Al Baron posted:

Wait what?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Samara posted:

Wait what?
Soft launch in those countries.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

I read some forum post saying there are 32 plants available. 6 of them cost the USD equivalent of $2

So the "free" PVZ might cost around $12 for all plants.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samara posted:

Wait what?
The Egypt stages have pyramid vacuum cleaners and a priest zombie who steals your suns :allears:

Those 6 plants definitely don't cost USD equivalent of $2 - they're sitting at $4.12 NZD at the moment, so about $3.50.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

haveblue posted:

I don't see why Apple needs to manufacture its own case at all. Their strategy whenever something like this comes up is to wait and see if there really is high demand for it and later on, if it's a healthy enough market that they want a share of the pie, then they'll roll their own and raise everyone's standards.

This, guys. They've introduced the software hooks for manufacturers to work with, so game devs will be able to include those hooks and let every single third-party controller that uses them work with their games.

What Apple does or does not do with their own controllers/case/whatever doesn't really matter - companies like ION will be able to make new iCades or 8-bitties or whatever the hell they want to make with significantly closer to universal compatibility for anyone on iOS 7.

I kind of doubt Apple will make one at all - they seem to be pulling back from the accessory market, not diving deeper into it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I didn't think of it from the game developer point of view. If Apple cares about game devs implementing the controls, they should make it available to the largest market, you're right.

The spec also states that any game supporting the new controllers must be fully playable on touchscreen only, so I don't see the developers are losing a lot there really. Obviously those users would be getting a lesser experience, but you could say they are already by running on a 2 year old device with a smaller screen size.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ghostlight posted:

Those 6 plants definitely don't cost USD equivalent of $2 - they're sitting at $4.12 NZD at the moment, so about $3.50.

3.50 each or 3.50 for the whole pack?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bummey posted:

It is a giant evil corporation, so what do you think? Also I'm surprised it is not a slot machine type of deal.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is there a good list of every app that's gone free for this fifth anniversary of the app store thing? I have a list of the official Apple ones and I know about Peggle and Flight Control from this thread. I'm sure more apps than that are jumping on the bandwagon. I'd love a list on a website I could just email out to people I know with iphones who don't pay any attention to this but do love free things. Games and non-games, ideally.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Here is a list from appshopper.

http://appshopper.com/blog/2013/07/08/apple-celebrates-app-stores-fifth-year-with-10-free-apps/

Not sure if they are actively updating it though.

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?

Yodzilla posted:

It's likely that they'll have some kind of bluetooth support. Just because everyone's seen this particular clamshell controller doesn't mean it'll be the only kind of thing they're likely to ship. Hell, this'd gently caress over iPads too, right? Not to mention, single-player only? That's nuts, and pretty short-sighted. So, if they ever want more than 1 player game controller support, bluetooth'd have to be a necessity.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bummey posted:

Hahaha, each.

Doing the math through the actual exchange rate, USD rate is probably going to be about $3.25

There's also four upgrades like '+25 starting sun' and '+1 seed plot' to buy for $2 USD (each).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ghostlight posted:

Hahaha, each.

Doing the math through the actual exchange rate, USD rate is probably going to be about $3.25

There's also four upgrades like '+25 starting sun' and '+1 seed plot' to buy for $2 USD (each).

Free sure sounds a lot more expensive than the $0.99 I paid for PvZ1. Ah well, not like I'm lacking for iOS games to play.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Shwqa posted:

It is a giant evil corporation, so what do you think? Also I'm surprised it is not a slot machine type of deal.

Ghostlight posted:

Hahaha, each.

It may be EA, but it's still Popcap. I guess I was expecting a little more out of the latter. Maybe the priced plants are the upgraded versions that you most likely won't use anyway, but that's still a bummer. I'd rather pay $10-20 up front than deal with that poo poo.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Bummey posted:

It may be EA, but it's still Popcap. I guess I was expecting a little more out of the latter. Maybe the priced plants are the upgraded versions that you most likely won't use anyway, but that's still a bummer. I'd rather pay $10-20 up front than deal with that poo poo.

Feels like we will be dealing with this poo poo forever. Freemium is just an insanely profitable strategy.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Bummey posted:

The priced plants are: Jalapeņo, Squash, imitator, snow pea, torch wood, and a new plant that gives one serve of Plant Food (activates plant abilities). So if you can do without them, you'll be fine I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm curious about what it would take to unlock everything without purchasing all the IAP. Popcap kept emphasizing that it was possible, but what kind of time commitment are we talking here? Lots of freemium games have items that you can get for free if you grind for several months.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Fallom posted:

I'm curious about what it would take to unlock everything without purchasing all the IAP. Popcap kept emphasizing that it was possible, but what kind of time commitment are we talking here? Lots of freemium games have items that you can get for free if you grind for several months.

I don't think they said you could unlock everything without spending money. I believe they said you could beat all of the levels without spending any money.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Fallom posted:

There is definitely no other method of unlocking the 6 iap plants and it hasn't been implied that they will become unlocked later. For reference, I have only gotten to the end of the egypt arc and now I have to grind stars to get to the next time period.

I do wonder what their thoughts were on the ancient keys, though. They seem to drop off a random enemy but not on every stage so I don't know if it's a set drop or actually a random drop but those keys don't appear to be purchasable and they unlock really important things... so it's almost like a wasted opportunity for them not to offer a way to speed up that whole thing.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Al Baron posted:

:australia: confirming. Installing now.

edit: gently caress! Requires iOS 5.1 - I'm jailbroken and am running 5.0.1. Will have to install on my iPad when I get home. #1stworldproblems

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Froist posted:

The spec also states that any game supporting the new controllers must be fully playable on touchscreen only

Ugh. As a dev I think I'd rather have notices stating "this game requires a controller" and not have people getting frustrated over complicated nightmare virtual control schemes.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
PvZ2 seems pretty much exactly like the first so far. Although people going "I PAID 99C FOR PVZ1" are a bit entitled (it launched for more anyway, so of course you can wait - you can wait for an IAP sale also which happen sometimes!) I do feel like I would pay like 5-10 bucks for a copmlete game without freemium stuff rather than this anyway.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Iesabel got patched and the missing textures are fixed.

I was looking forward to the game, and maybe it gets better but man is it boring and clunky so far. I really want a good action rpg or krpg!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Deadeye Dick posted:

Ugh. As a dev I think I'd rather have notices stating "this game requires a controller" and not have people getting frustrated over complicated nightmare virtual control schemes.

You think that would stop idiots without controllers downloading it and then giving it a "THIS GAME STUPID DON;T WORK DEVS FIX" review?

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

psylent posted:

You think that would stop idiots without controllers downloading it and then giving it a "THIS GAME STUPID DON;T WORK DEVS FIX" review?

I'd like to think people are smar-

No, you're absolutely right :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man I bought Spiral Episode 1, because it looked fun and it was on sale. It is a fun game, but it crashed on me when I got off the train and now crashes when I try to play it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Man I bought Spiral Episode 1, because it looked fun and it was on sale. It is a fun game, but it crashed on me when I got off the train and now crashes when I try to play it :sigh:

What are you playing it on?

• Locked thread