Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

why cokie rocket

Move to rename Nefud to Why Cokie Roberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

For once I agree with Keldroc on something. What the gently caress have you done, Rocket?!

When Unicron appears, differences must be set aside.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone else here have a Springer and have the same problems Optibotimus had with his in his video review? Like, where stuff just doesn't want to peg together right, specifically the panel that flips down and pegs onto the backs of his thighs in helicopter mode, or the side windows in car mode? Mine doesn't want to cooperate and I can't figure out if I got a dud and should exchange him at TRU, or if it's a consistent mold problem and I shouldn't bother.
My first Springer didn't peg together right, but he was also missing a headlight, and the replacement Springer I got pegs together fine. It seems to be luck of the draw.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DoctorWhat posted:

why cokie rocket is better known as Nefud, who once compared David Tennant to a Nazi for cooperating with Russel T. Davies. This is his schtick.

Mischaracterizing "consistent opinion about the responsibility of creative persons to not contribute to the production of dogshit" as "schtick" is pretty disingenuous.

GD_American posted:

"Peter Cullen should have made Michael Bay change his lines in the movie"

- an actual opinion, amazingly enough

That's not even close to my opinion. Would anyone like to actually discuss this topic?

Keldroc posted:

If you think injustice at the workplace or deforestation of ancient trees is comparable to reading voiceover lines in a movie, I don't even know what to tell you.

Oh good, Keldroc. Even when we disagree you take the time to engage. I really appreciate that. Of course actual evil isn't the same as how a TF movie turns out, but I really can't think of better universally understood examples of not just collecting a paycheck and not giving a poo poo how your work impacts others.

Keldroc posted:

I've worked in film and TV long enough to be able to tell you definitively that any pushback from Cullen on the lines he says for Optimus would simply result in him not getting paid and us having to hear someone else voice the character in the movies.

Who would have a problem with him not doing the voice? It'd be like omitting the sprinkles from a vomit sundae. It's still terrible without him.

Keldroc posted:

Maybe you think Cullen should push back and lose the gig because...what? Some people think Optimus' character is repulsive or unlikable? What would be the point? It's hardly the only fatal flaw in the Bay films. Nothing is going to save these movies. Frankly I'd rather Peter Cullen get the recognition and pay that comes with his role in the films, so that they benefit at least one person who deserves it after all these years. Better that than to see him give it up for some drat fool idealistic crusade, which benefits no one except Cullen's replacement.

Sure, getting paid is the smarter move in the short term, but when you're intrinsically attached to a fairly beloved character, it seems a little silly to willingly go along with a production that's making bizarre and contradictory changes to that character. It would be about as dumb as an actor going along with James Bond getting married (yes I know this actually happened).

I don't even know why this is an argument, honestly. I have trouble identifying with people who don't really care about the impact of projects they work on. Wishing that Cullen had an anecdote about trying to change some of Bayverse Prime's crazier lines may make me hopelessly naive and idealistic (though I respectfully disagree with even that), but not even remotely "Unicron"-level evil.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Come on guys. :ohdear:

Why hello Arkeville, did you do something to your hair?

From an upcoming event on that mobile card game, apparently.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blackheart posted:

Mine pegs together good enough, and at least Peaugh and Baltmatrix (I think) have posted follow-up videos showing their springers pegging together correctly after their initial reviews (in which they mentioned the problem). This might vary from figure to figure, and keep in mind that Optibotimus is... well, optibotimus. Is yours TOO bad, or just a 1mm-something- gap?
It's pretty bad. The flap that is supposed to peg into the back of the thighs doesn't do so at all on mine, no matter how much I fiddle with it or try and force it, and I can't get the sides of the car mode to hold together at all, nor can I get the car mode side windows to peg into the canopy properly. It's pretty aggravating.

I might just try and exchange mine - it certainly can't be any worse than what I've got right now. I was really looking forward to Springer, but mine has had enough problems in his alt-modes that it's really soured the whole experience and I'm actually liking Blitzwing quite a bit more right now. That's... that's now how it's supposed to be. :(

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

It's pretty bad. The flap that is supposed to peg into the back of the thighs doesn't do so at all on mine, no matter how much I fiddle with it or try and force it, and I can't get the sides of the car mode to hold together at all, nor can I get the car mode side windows to peg into the canopy properly. It's pretty aggravating.

I might just try and exchange mine - it certainly can't be any worse than what I've got right now. I was really looking forward to Springer, but mine has had enough problems in his alt-modes that it's really soured the whole experience and I'm actually liking Blitzwing quite a bit more right now. That's... that's now how it's supposed to be. :(

We're in the same boat on Springer. I figured they were all this bad but it's overall cool enough that people were forgiving it. This mold really does peg together for most people in all modes?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My Springer took some fiddling to make it peg together in car mode. Even then there are still small gaps. The helicopter mode fares better, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

I'm actually liking Blitzwing quite a bit more right now. That's... that's now how it's supposed to be. :(

Actually I liked Blitzwing the most from the initial reveal. But yeah, he and Astrotrain were always my favorite triplechangers while my G1 Springer was a bit lame. When I got my generations triple changers recently I was disappointed with Blitz's shoulders (as everyone else) but after I fixed them (all it needs is a small styrene square and glue!) I went right back to loving him over Springer.

That's not to say Spring isn't awesome because he is. While the sides on mine tab pretty well in car mode, the buttflap on mine has the same problem of just not pegging in, but honestly it doesn't affect either mode. Also his shoulder balljoints were amazingly loose to the point where he couldn't keep his arms up even without weapons, but a little nail polish fixed that good.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Oh good, Keldroc. Even when we disagree you take the time to engage. I really appreciate that. Of course actual evil isn't the same as how a TF movie turns out, but I really can't think of better universally understood examples of not just collecting a paycheck and not giving a poo poo how your work impacts others.

I would argue that the only lasting impact of the Bay films has been to make Transformers a household name on an unprecedented scale.

quote:

Who would have a problem with him not doing the voice? It'd be like omitting the sprinkles from a vomit sundae. It's still terrible without him.

Again, if we have to have terrible Transformers movies every few years, I'd rather the guy who originated the role be getting paid for it.

quote:

Sure, getting paid is the smarter move in the short term, but when you're intrinsically attached to a fairly beloved character, it seems a little silly to willingly go along with a production that's making bizarre and contradictory changes to that character. It would be about as dumb as an actor going along with James Bond getting married (yes I know this actually happened).

There's nothing silly about doing your job. It's not an actor's job to write the script or rewrite the dialogue on a macro scale. If the creative people in charge want your input on that level, they'll ask you for it. If they don't, telling them how to do their jobs with no invitation to do so is an excellent way to make sure you're never asked to work for those people again.

quote:

I don't even know why this is an argument, honestly. I have trouble identifying with people who don't really care about the impact of projects they work on. Wishing that Cullen had an anecdote about trying to change some of Bayverse Prime's crazier lines may make me hopelessly naive and idealistic (though I respectfully disagree with even that), but not even remotely "Unicron"-level evil.

Caring about the quality of the project is not the same as being dumb enough to sabotage your career. Peter Cullen is hired to say Optimus Prime's lines as written. That's it. He is a creative collaborator in the sense that he is expected and invited to take the material written for Prime and perform it as best he can to make the character feel believable. He is not a screenwriter, story consultant, or executive producer, and it is not his place to demand, request or even suggest sweeping changes to the film's characters or narrative. It's not his job, and it would not be an appropriate thing to do, anymore than it would be appropriate for him to come into the VO booth and complain about the art direction or the live action actors' wardrobes.

So yes, what you are saying is hopelessly naive and ignorant of how the business works. Producers don't want talent waltzing in and thinking they know better than the writer. Their job is to play the character and read the lines. What you are suggesting is no less than Peter Cullen intentionally building a reputation with some of the most powerful men in the entertainment industry as a person who is difficult to work with and doesn't know his role in a production, all over the portrayal of a toy robot who turns into a truck. What you suggest is tantamount to career suicide, or at least self-sabotage.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

It's not his job, and it would not be an appropriate thing to do, anymore than it would be appropriate for him to come into the VO booth and complain about the art direction or the live action actors' wardrobes.

I'd say it has slightly more to do with him than the costumes, though, because he's the one that has to deliver the dialogue. And to quite a few people (for better or for worse), he IS that character. Other than that I think we're on the same page, but we will just have to disagree about what it all means.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'd say it has slightly more to do with him than the costumes, though, because he's the one that has to deliver the dialogue. And to quite a few people (for better or for worse), he IS that character. Other than that I think we're on the same page, but we will just have to disagree about what it all means.

From the point of view of the people footing the bill, it doesn't have more to do with him than the costumes. In an ideal world, Bay would be a more open collaborator when it comes to people involved in the brand for 30+ years, but that's not the reality. Cullen can't do anything about Optimus' characterization in the Bay films. Nobody can except Michael Bay himself and maybe the screenwriters, if they can convince Bay their ideas are worthwhile. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. It's simply how it is. Cullen not getting himself fired is not some kind of moral failing on his part.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
You might want to troll the TRU ebay store. Acid Storm and Soundwave have both gone up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transfor-So...=item2c709a2ff6

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SpikeMcclane posted:

You might want to troll the TRU ebay store. Acid Storm and Soundwave have both gone up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transfor-So...=item2c709a2ff6

Aaaand they're gone. 100 sold in about 6 minutes.

Luckily I was order #70 :woop:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Specifically, Soundwave is gone. There are still about 40 Acid Storms left.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Oh well, grabbed an Acid Storm.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, in many things, Cullen might have the leeway to be considered a creative collaborator... but Michael Bay treats his voice actors like they're special effects to add into post production. He doesn't even talk to them. Michael Bay, the director, does not direct them at all, whatsoever. I mean, that kind of shows how important they are to him.

Some bigger name actors might walk out, but Peter Cullen is not a big name actor and has to get a paycheck somehow and not sabotage his career. He's not like a Brad Pitt who could do something like that and still get work in Hollywood.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not only that, but I've always seen him as a rather OK and modest guy, even though he IS Optimus Prime to most of the fandom he never comes off as feeling like he somehow owns the character like other actors do sometimes. He just does his job and he's pretty good at it. I can't blame him for the writers' errors.

Man I really want an MP Acid Storm, it's just so silly.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Cullen not getting himself fired is not some kind of moral failing on his part.

And that's where we have to disagree, no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Helping to teach kids (and these are movies for kids) that a "let's kill them all!" attitude is something to be cheered is, in my opinion, morally disagreeable. I understand that from your point of view, morality takes a back seat to dolla dolla holla. We understand each other. Let's move on.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, they had an eBay store? God drat it.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, in many things, Cullen might have the leeway to be considered a creative collaborator... but Michael Bay treats his voice actors like they're special effects to add into post production. He doesn't even talk to them. Michael Bay, the director, does not direct them at all, whatsoever. I mean, that kind of shows how important they are to him.

Some bigger name actors might walk out, but Peter Cullen is not a big name actor and has to get a paycheck somehow and not sabotage his career. He's not like a Brad Pitt who could do something like that and still get work in Hollywood.

Well, he's also 71 years old. If Peter Cullen is taking these jobs because he needs a paycheck and not simply because he enjoys the work, then he probably has bigger problems in his life than Optimus Prime's characterization.

Edit: Re-reading this, I'm not exactly sure what my point was except that if Cullen was going to argue against the way Optimus Prime has been portrayed, he probably would have done so already.

revtoiletduck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 9, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Also, guys, Peter Cullen is just a human being. He's not actually Optimus Prime. He just plays him. It seems like people are taking Peter Cullen reading the lines as they are in the script as a personal betrayal. Peter Cullen has zero creative input, and Michael Bay views his voice actors as an afterthought to be added in post, and not something that even requires his attention. Peter Cullen isn't a bad guy for doing his job. He's a pretty nice and friendly guy, to be honest.

Honestly, I think Peter Cullen would still do a great Optimus Prime if he could get good writers and directors these days. Optimus Prime has kind of been turned into a mythical figure, and that's really kind of hurt his character. The Michael Bay movies may have made Transformers a household name, but they really screwed up the characters of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee badly.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

And the TRU.com listings for both Acid Storm and Soundwave have been pulled now too. I wonder if someone hosed up bad yesterday.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

The Rage posted:

And the TRU.com listings for both Acid Storm and Soundwave have been pulled now too. I wonder if someone hosed up bad yesterday.

Has there been a single TRU Masterpiece release that wasn't utterly bungled? They order absurdly small quantities, have horrible distribution, get the stock scalped by employees, and now this.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

No Your Other Left posted:

Has there been a single TRU Masterpiece release that wasn't utterly bungled? They order absurdly small quantities, have horrible distribution, get the stock scalped by employees, and now this.

Grimlock and Rodimus were oddly enough fairly well distributed and I saw them on the shelves for months. Same thing with Thundercracker, but that had more to do with the almost $20 price jump that took place in the middle of the things shelf life. I've still to this day only seen the new MP Prime once ever.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

And that's where we have to disagree, no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Helping to teach kids (and these are movies for kids) that a "let's kill them all!" attitude is something to be cheered is, in my opinion, morally disagreeable. I understand that from your point of view, morality takes a back seat to dolla dolla holla. We understand each other. Let's move on.

No, you don't understand my point of view at all. Morality cannot take a back seat, because there is no morality involved in this situation. Children are not going to learn to be murderous from these movies, and no, they are not movies for kids. They are PG-13 films that involve references to drug use, half-naked women and long lingering rear end shots of same, and destruction and violence on a massive scale. They are very clearly targeted at the teenage and early twenties demographic, which is where the money is, hence the films' constant success at the box office. Are kids going to see them? Sure, because they're Transformers movies. Is Michael Bay making the movies for those kids to see? Absolutely not, although he throws in a robot fart now and then to make sure they stay entertained.

The Bay films are big, loud, stupid, meaningless fun for the vast majority of people who see them. People like us who dissect Optimus' character as a psychotic killer are uncommon and weird. Kids don't pick up on that aspect of the character, they just know that Optimus cares about his friends and fights the bad guys with all his might. If you think it goes further than that, you're in "violent video games cause school shootings" and "comic books are turning children into deviants" territory. In other words, off in crazytown.

Making terrible creative choices in film is not a moral issue. The people who work on these movies do not display moral failings due to their inability to convince Michael Bay to make movies that don't suck. If you believe otherwise, I can only suggest a massive reality check is in order.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

LightsGameraAction posted:

Grimlock and Rodimus were oddly enough fairly well distributed and I saw them on the shelves for months. Same thing with Thundercracker, but that had more to do with the almost $20 price jump that took place in the middle of the things shelf life. I've still to this day only seen the new MP Prime once ever.

I've literally only seen one Thundercracker, nothing else ever, and it was gone the next day. The TRU nearby stinks.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

My TRU had like 7 - 8 Thundercrackers up until about a month ago when I assume they pulled them into the back to make space for other things. I was hoping they'd get a discount at some point, but TRU clearance is almost "why bother?"

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

All the TRUs around here had dozens of Thundercrackers, but aside from him I have only ever seen one Rodimus, and that's it for MPs. Never seen a Grimlock or an MP-10 Prime on a TRU shelf in the Los Angeles area.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

No Your Other Left posted:

I've literally only seen one Thundercracker, nothing else ever, and it was gone the next day. The TRU nearby stinks.

Yeah my local (30 miles away) TRU is just as bad, we got one case of MP-10 (2) and they were gone before I could even get down there, and zero Thundercrackers.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

For all you fuckers who are excited about Acid Storm, you better buy 10 of him and army build him, because that green bastard is going to clog shelves forever.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

And TRU just refunded my payment for Soundwave.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Welp! There is my refund for Acid Storm.

Not quite sure how 100's of their figures just went on sale by mistake but whatever.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Same here. I choose to blame 404.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gammatron 64 posted:

For all you fuckers who are excited about Acid Storm, you better buy 10 of him and army build him, because that green bastard is going to clog shelves forever.

I loving hope so; I've seen ONE Masterpiece at retail- a Grimlock at a TRU and I don't like Grimlock enough to justify buying a Masterpiece of him. But I want an MP Seeker (the mold is different than the original MP Starscream, isn't it? Didn't they fix a few things or something?) and I really don't care which. I'd buy a Thundercracker if I found one, but I'll be fine with an Acid Storm. An MP Seeker, Blitzwing, and Sandstorm are the figures I'd actually buy right now if I saw them in person. Soundwave, too, but I know I'll never see that one in person. I don't often end up in places that sell toys as it is.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I missed out last year on an MP Thundercracker on UK ebay that went for £26, and about 50p more than my maximum bid.
Looking through a few days ago, there was a Black Zarak MISB that was upto $4000 with 22 bids. People really have the money on this day and age to rock that kind of money on a G1 Scorponok recolour?
How many people have the new Sandstorm? I'm considering it but after Blitzwing and hearing problems here about Springer, does it have tabbing problems too?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Masterpiece Soundwave & Acid Storm aren't coming up on TRU's site anymore (sort of). If you type it in the search box it will show up in results, but you can't actually go to the page. Strange...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Goldskull posted:

How many people have the new Sandstorm? I'm considering it but after Blitzwing and hearing problems here about Springer, does it have tabbing problems too?

Sandstorm is definitely a lot more solid than Springer; there's a lot of tabs and pegs not on the original mold which fix a lot of the stability problems Springer has. VTOL mode is also a whole lot better looking than Springer's "well I guess it kinda looks like a helicopter" but the tradeoff is dune buggy mode looking kinda goofy from most angles.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm not overly thrilled about Sandstorm (my deep love of MST3K helps a little) but I will definitely be giving him some custom paint assistance until his buggy mode realizes its destiny as a Mad Max homage.

edit: and I kind of feel like I owe it to Hasbro to buy one to reward them for attempting this experiment in mega-retooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Goldskull posted:

Looking through a few days ago, there was a Black Zarak MISB that was upto $4000 with 22 bids. People really have the money on this day and age to rock that kind of money on a G1 Scorponok recolour?

That's due to two things. First, a large chunk of the fandom likes Black Zarak a whole lot more than Scorponok, for reasons I have yet to really understand. I just hope it doesn't make Takara decide to reissue Black Zarak as an Encore before/instead of Scorponok. Second, Black Zarak is arguably the most notorious sufferer of Gold Plastic Syndrome, and it's not uncommon to find that Black Zaraks' gold pieces have crumbled while still in a sealed box. Therefore a MISB Black Zarak is an interesting collector's item, because what's inside it could be broken and worthless, or it could be one of the most sought-after figures in the franchise's history due to how few intact ones survive. So you end up with people who keep that box sealed, because as long as it's sealed, it might not have succumbed to GPS. It's like Schroedinger's Transformer. It's both worthless and super valuable. Opening it forces it into one state or the other, so most people choose to keep the box sealed.