Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Count me in as an early advocate of Osunaarashi-mania.

And I'm rather disappointed in Gagamaru's performance so far. I thought he'd turned a corner with his performance last basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
This isn't the first time that it happens though: I remember Gagamaru getting a fighting spirit prize two years ago because he was bowling over all the competition in the lower maegashira, but then he got bumped up the ranks and just got destroyed by the top guys.

I don't see that changing until Gaga gets more agile/loses some weight.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4dZFUU1RM.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So much for Yokozuna.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Plus: Now the TV people can shut the gently caress up about Kisenosato's "yokozuna run". And the first Sokokurai win since being back! ^_^

Minus: Harumafuji's early loss!!! Ugh. Wanted to see him do well this tournament. Might be another Hakuho yusho. Takayasu looking so strong after the last couple of bouts is kinda a pleasant surprise, though.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 9, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 3 and many people probably already consider the tournament over. Ladies and gents, I present to you the awesome power that is Hakuho. gently caress up once and you fall off the cliff.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Day 3 and many people probably already consider the tournament over. Ladies and gents, I present to you the awesome power that is Hakuho. gently caress up once and you fall off the cliff.

he is amazing and has to be considered the favorite at this point (actually he had to be considered the favorite before the tournament even started), but i do agree with kintamayama's comments about him looking ever so slightly off. i have a feeling that's not going to last though and he'll be back up to 100% by the time he has to face the big guns.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

he is amazing and has to be considered the favorite at this point (actually he had to be considered the favorite before the tournament even started), but i do agree with kintamayama's comments about him looking ever so slightly off. i have a feeling that's not going to last though and he'll be back up to 100% by the time he has to face the big guns.

I felt like for Day 3 he was being just careful. His weight was always centered and the other rikishi was always off balance, but I felt he was trying to not over commit himself.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Uncle Jam posted:

I felt like for Day 3 he was being just careful. His weight was always centered and the other rikishi was always off balance, but I felt he was trying to not over commit himself.

i agree that he was always in control but generally he doesn't even end up in a situation where he even has to be careful, except against some of the top guys. like i said though, still probably not a cause for concern.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

i agree that he was always in control but generally he doesn't even end up in a situation where he even has to be careful, except against some of the top guys. like i said though, still probably not a cause for concern.

What a Haku-ho-hum day today (day 4). Not one exciting sanyaku match.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RykxNGkTxS0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

What a Haku-ho-hum day today (day 4). Not one exciting sanyaku match.

some pretty drat good matches leading up to those though, no?

was hoping chiyotairyuu could pull off the upset today but man when kotoshogiku gets you where he wants you, there's no coming back from that.

also loving osunaarashi's efforts so far. he's going to have to keep developing his arsenal to avoid hitting a wall once he gets to a certain point in the ranks, but i think he could already hang as a low maegashira

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw1CA6qA7qg

Shouhouzan and Harumafuji were ANGRY today

gently caress off Kisenosato!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
chiyotairyu oooooowns, i enjoy watching this guy so much.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

YES!! That was an awesome day.

That splits display by Chiyonokuni is the single most impressive improvised move I have ever seen in sumo. Dude weighs twice as much as I do and I would have torn hip flexors if I did that. He looked hurt, but probably more of the pulled muscle variety than something serious. Put some ice on those nuts tonight, bro.

Ikioi is awesome as always. Also, dude trying to ball up his hands into "fists" is adorable. They're like my wife's hands - her "fist" looks more like the end of her arm than an actual fist. :3:

Goeido and Shohozan had an epic staredown. Did Goeido gently caress his wife or something? That was insane.

Takayasu seems to have the Fighting Spirit award nicely wrapped up already.

Tokitenkuu - :lol:

Man, I hope goonlord Tochinoshin is ok.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Shohozan's glaring keeps getting better and better, and it looks like Chiyotairyu has his heart set on a sanyaku berth next basho. :allears:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EeBFE44MU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Fryhtaning posted:

YES!! That was an awesome day.

Oh man, slaps were flying, bodies were flying! Staredown, what an awesome day. Maybe the pace is gonna remain high here. Can't wait for Day 6!

It sucks about those injuries though, I wouldn't be surprised to see some rikishi pulling out, shame.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Juryo next Basho or the one after could be interesting with this number of demotion-causing injuries to decent rikishi

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Why do some possible matchups get X'd out immediately? Do they not fight within the same stable?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Why do some possible matchups get X'd out immediately? Do they not fight within the same stable?

Correct. Rikishi in the same stable do not fight each other. Thus, you won't see Kotooshu or Kotoshogiku fight. Unless there's a playoff maybe? I'm not sure about that situation.

As an interesting fun fact: at one point in time, wrestlers from the same GROUP of stables didn't fight each other. Not sure how that worked out. I guess there were more wrestlers then.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbIKwgy8iPc

Aminishiki :laugh:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That was a pretty pathetic performance by Gagamaru. The losing probably got to him mentally.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wow, Tochinoshin completely destroyed his knee. That kind of injury seems like one you'd be terrified to repeat. I hope it doesn't mentally affect him after he comes back. Sucks for Chiyonokuni, too, but only 15 days out and he pulled off one of the best moves in sumo history in doing it.

Kotooshu really should be 6-0.. he got robbed by the monoii.

Kintamayama was clearly on the magical mushrooms in that video...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Kotooshu really should be 6-0.. he got robbed by the monoii.

true, but he deserved what he got in the rematch.

another impressive performance from chiyotairyu, what a fantastic tachi-ai

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm new to sumo, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Since wrestlers are paired with their closest ranked competition, is it possible for a lower ranked wrestler to win a basho without facing anyone really good, or does the pairing system account for that somehow?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Konstantin posted:

I'm new to sumo, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Since wrestlers are paired with their closest ranked competition, is it possible for a lower ranked wrestler to win a basho without facing anyone really good, or does the pairing system account for that somehow?

The higher rank schedules are pretty much set throughout the whole tournament. The yokozuna fight the same ranks every tournament almost, and in almost the same order.

The lower ranked guys, its a lot more tricky. As far as I'm aware there is no set process. Generally they fight around the same rank, but somebody who is doing well (leading the tournament) will suddenly be up among the Ozeki on the last few days.

It can get kind of sketchy sometimes, higher Magaeshira guys with a 6-7 record will suddenly be scheduled against M16 and M15 guys the last two days and end up with an 8-7.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpg9lU0L974

i actually haven't even watched yet

e: kotoshogiku :ughh:

and i definitely can't say i expected that result in kisenosato-goeido. wow

not surprised that hakuho's streak continues, as much as i've liked chiyotairyu's form. he's no match for the big guy yet. kind of funny how you could tell he was putting everything he possibly could into that tachi-ai, and hakuho shrugged it off like it was nothing

a false fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 13, 2013

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm liking this basho. Recently, for some reason I've started to like some rikishi I haven't given a poo poo about before. Now I'm rooting for Aran (who I started to like after he swore off henka......) and Kotooshu (not really sure why. Guess I just like his style).Chiyotairyu is going to be a force soon, mark my words. That tachi-ai with Hakuho was strong but.... It's Hakuho. And I'm liking what I'm seeing from Harumafuji. Hopefully the next half is a banger!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Chiyotairyu v Hakuho was an excellent demonstration of what happens when the not quite unstoppable force hits an unmovable object. :v:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Kyokutenho won the May 2012 basho from the M7 rank. He only had to wrestle one Ozeki (Kotooshu, who was barely good enough to be called an Ozeki in 2012) out of six total Ozeki, and didn't even have to wrestle Hakuho at any point. He was tied with Tochiozan, who was M4, on the final day, and Tochiozan had only wrestled 3 Ozeki and didn't wrestle Hakuho either.

So it can happen, but that's the only time in recent memory I can think of where someone won without having to face very tough competition. I'm sure it has happened other times, though.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I've just been catching up on the last few days' worth of sumo and wow, there have been quite a few exciting bouts so far!

Kotoshogiku is really good at one thing, and that's charging in, grabbing dudes by the belt and bunny hopping them off the ring. Any change in this formula and he'll just wipe out every time.

I've been watching this sport for almost two years now and have seen Goeido do more staredowns than anyone else. However, I've never seen him win after a staredown. It kind of feels like watching Ric Flair go up to the top rope. It looks cool, but at this point I just know it's never gonna work.

I really like Kotoyuuki in the lower maegashira. He's not gonna set the world on fire or anything, but he always goes in straight up. I'm gonna keep watching him to see if he can keep it going for all 15 days.

Watching Oosunaarashi matches in Juryo is strange. The guy has raw power, but no technique. Just watch the beginning of his matches: He'll rise straight up every time and take whatever charge his opponents dish out. That might be okay in the lower ranks where guys just aren't that powerful, but the higher he goes, the more disappointing it'll be. He's still very green though so hopefully he can correct his bad habits before it's too late.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Individual Juryo bouts, its hard to tell. If you go back and look at Hakuho's Juryo losses he looks pretty confused and out of depth sometimes.

I'm not saying he's going to become like Hakuho, for everyone one of him there are many that make it up to Makuuchi for one basho and then are gone forever.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IczJhAGYY

A Good Day™

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goddamn, Hakuho's escape was amazing. Almost as amazing as the look of bewilderment on Harumafuji's face after getting charged out like that. Usually he's the one who does that kind of thing. Props to Chiyotairyu.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that save by hakuho ruled, but he couldn't have been too happy with himself for having ended up in that position against aminishiki to begin with.

and chiyotairyu continues to win my heart. second kinboshi in his young career, can't imagine it will be his last (unless of course he doesn't spend much more time at maegashira...)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

that save by hakuho ruled, but he couldn't have been too happy with himself for having ended up in that position against aminishiki to begin with.

and chiyotairyu continues to win my heart. second kinboshi in his young career, can't imagine it will be his last (unless of course he doesn't spend much more time at maegashira...)

The way things are going both komusubi are going down and one of the sekiwake, so going up to komusubi is pretty likely for chiyotairyu. Whether he will stay there is another question, but it looks like he has the chops for it anyways.

And aminishiki has the most kinboshi out of any active wrestler by far, he knows how to defeat yokuzuna (while apparently not knowing how to stay in sanyakyu.)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7hzNWKO3Xo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Aran and Tokitenkuu are really good on the belt. Aran and Tokitenkuu are for some reason avoiding the belt this basho. Aran and Tokitenkuu have poo poo records thus far. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm really liking Kotooshu again this time around. It looks like he has figured out how to use his massive height more effectively to just demolish people with pure physics. He basically turned Myogiryu upside down on day 5, and is in general back to his dohyo-shaking and crowd-surfing ways. I mean, that's saying a lot when he is the only Ozeki who looks like he gives a poo poo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That Harumafuji fight, was goddamn awesome.