Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sunshine89 posted:

If it's someone I know, I have no reservations. It's just that if it's someone I don't know, I wouldn't want them to think that I'm some sort of creepy wierdo or that I was casing their car.

You'd hardly tell them it was open if you were casing it. What is it with goons avoiding human contact at all costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is this a jade plant? The leaves are thinner than any jade plant I've ever seen, but I'm pretty sure it's a succulent of some kind.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's definitely a succulent, and almost certainly a jade of some variety. There's a plethora of types of just jade, let alone succulents. It looks like the average over-grown and under-watered jade to me. Just treat it as you would the average succulent until it gets older and fills out a bit more, and then you'll be able to identify it easily.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a new baby, and for the past couple of nights our baby monitor has gone haywire in the middle of the night, loud alarms and all that. I called the makers, and they said it's possible that my iPhone (which sites on the same nightstand as the receiver unit of the monitor) is causing some kind of frequency mishmash that's setting it off. This seems...unlikely, to me. The manual says it "operates on the 864 MHz and 2.4 GHz frequency bands." Is there anything at all to this, or are they just hoping I won't call back?

Sunshine89 posted:

If it's someone I know, I have no reservations. It's just that if it's someone I don't know, I wouldn't want them to think that I'm some sort of creepy wierdo or that I was casing their car.
But the alternative is not telling them, and having them be late for work or whatever the next morning. It's not outside the realm of possibility that you're literally costing some poor fucker his job by doing this. There's like a 2% chance of awkwardness in this situation, and a 98% chance of big smiles, a thank you, and a handshake.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

But the alternative is not telling them, and having them be late for work or whatever the next morning. It's not outside the realm of possibility that you're literally costing some poor fucker his job by doing this. There's like a 2% chance of awkwardness in this situation, and a 98% chance of big smiles, a thank you, and a handshake.

Not only that, but they'll probably be more likely to look out for your poo poo in the future. I think they call that being neighborly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jackpot posted:

I've got a new baby, and for the past couple of nights our baby monitor has gone haywire in the middle of the night, loud alarms and all that. I called the makers, and they said it's possible that my iPhone (which sites on the same nightstand as the receiver unit of the monitor) is causing some kind of frequency mishmash that's setting it off. This seems...unlikely, to me. The manual says it "operates on the 864 MHz and 2.4 GHz frequency bands." Is there anything at all to this, or are they just hoping I won't call back?

It's possible but very unlikely. Ring back, don't mention the iPhone, get them to replace it.

E: try a couple of nights with the phone parked elsewhere?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

jackpot posted:

I've got a new baby, and for the past couple of nights our baby monitor has gone haywire in the middle of the night, loud alarms and all that. I called the makers, and they said it's possible that my iPhone (which sites on the same nightstand as the receiver unit of the monitor) is causing some kind of frequency mishmash that's setting it off. This seems...unlikely, to me. The manual says it "operates on the 864 MHz and 2.4 GHz frequency bands."
Do you have Wi-Fi on? 802.11b and g are both 2.4GHz. Seems stupid that the monitor would use that band. You could try switching your router to a different channel and see if that makes a difference. Or you could upgrade your phone/router to stuff that supports 5GHz.

e: channel, not band

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 9, 2013

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Make a thick paste with baking soda and apply to both sides. Wait at least an hour the wash. It will not harm if you leave it on longer.

That worked! Thank you so much!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Dudebro posted:

On the other hand, living in a small town (especially on a body of water) sounds loving awesome if you like that kind of life and your income comes from something like doing work on the internet, for example.

Well I study birds for a living and my husband works on the ranch we live on (it's owned by his family) so for us, it's loving awesome. But, we're kinda easy to please. We don't earn or spend a lot of money and our idea of "going out on the weekend" consists of driving to the lake and fishing or drinking beer up on the ridge.

Moving here with no job lined up though would be hell.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

M42 posted:

Is this a jade plant? The leaves are thinner than any jade plant I've ever seen, but I'm pretty sure it's a succulent of some kind.

That's a Crassula ovata. It's one of the plants called 'jade plant'. It's nearly impossible to kill, and you can shape it by just snapping the top off the branches, and it will fork right below the break.

If you want more plants, just snap off a branch and let it dry for a couple of weeks. Then plant it in not too damp soil and it will take root and start growing.

The few things that can kill one is frost and over-watering.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What type of berries are these growing in my yard? They look like raspberries, but after googling raspberry bushes, they clearly aren't.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

What type of berries are these growing in my yard? They look like raspberries, but after googling raspberry bushes, they clearly aren't.

Are they thorny? They look kind of like blackberry bushes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Why does Netflix release their original shows all at once instead of one show per week?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

change my name posted:

Probably these things http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_phoenicolasius

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why does this frozen soy burger that I bought have STRICT instructions that it's not cooked and NEEDS to be cooked to at least 135F. It's soy, right? What's with the warnings?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Great, thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Schweinhund posted:

Why does Netflix release their original shows all at once instead of one show per week?

It's a marketing thing, because Netflix's whole deal is you can watch whatever you want at any time.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Anyone know anything about vintage stuffed toys (or a forum/thread here where people might know)? A few months ago I bought a giant stuffed rabbit at Goodwill for $5 and it has just been collecting dust in my apartment since. But today I noticed a tag on it and it has sparked my interest. The rabbit appears to be exactly six feet tall and was made by Eden Toys. Apparently these folks made the Paddington Bear animals and it's a somewhat well known company. Just looking at the tag I'm guessing this is from the 70s... All my internet sleuthing has turned up is normal sized stuffed animals from Eden. Any idea what I'm looking at here?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
In Dead Rising 2: OTR, does the shortcut you learn from the survivor that takes you from the Mall to Royal Flush Plaza persist if I do a new game with that save? Or do I have to rescue that same survivor every playthrough to learn the shortcut?

XBurritoXLogicX
Jun 26, 2005

by T. Finninho
How do carcinogens and radation that a person isn't constantly exposed to cause cancer later? For example a bunch of people that survive a large dose of radation all dying early or in the same time frame of various cancers.

I always thought DNA damage was a "now or nothing" type deal. The cells DNA is damaged and in 99% of cases it is killed off but every once and a while you get cancer. Is there gradual degredation that isn't repaired? Laymans terms please. Speak to me like a child. :shrug:

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

the posted:

Why does this frozen soy burger that I bought have STRICT instructions that it's not cooked and NEEDS to be cooked to at least 135F. It's soy, right? What's with the warnings?

Vegetables carry pathogens too, just like meat. It wasn't that long ago that a dozen some people died from Listeria-tainted cantaloupe. They do recalls on bagged lettuce and spinach all the time it seems.

If meat gets tainted it's usually during the slaughter process when gut bacteria from the animal gets on the meat. If one of those tainted cows gets ground up into hamburger and gets distributed all over, it makes national headlines because it could potentially affect thousands. Meat related deaths are pretty uncommon, it just gets a ton of media attention when something does happen.

I had a big party a month ago and had fried chicken and hot dogs for about a hundred people. Two of my vegetarian friends brought veggie burgers and spent the next day barfing their guts out. So...definitely heed your soy-patty's warning!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

XBurritoXLogicX posted:

How do carcinogens and radation that a person isn't constantly exposed to cause cancer later? For example a bunch of people that survive a large dose of radation all dying early or in the same time frame of various cancers.

I always thought DNA damage was a "now or nothing" type deal. The cells DNA is damaged and in 99% of cases it is killed off but every once and a while you get cancer. Is there gradual degredation that isn't repaired? Laymans terms please. Speak to me like a child. :shrug:

A lot of times it has to do with inhaling/ingesting atoms that are still radioactive themselves. For example a radioactive isotope of iodine is produced in nuclear meltdowns/bombs. Our bodies need iodine and it isn't super common (well its added to salt these days to take care of that), so we store it up. The body can't tell the difference between regular iodine and the radioactive kind, so it's happy to store radioactive iodine in your lymph nodes, where the continual release of radiation can cause damage over a longer timescale. This is reason why iodine pills were given out, they were to "fill you up" with regular iodine so your body wouldn't try and store the radioactive stuff.

The second possible answer is that while radiation does immediately damage a cell, it can take a while for a single bad cell to become a problem. The classic case here is radiation induced cancer. One bit of radiation damages one cell in a way that makes it cancerous. It will still take time for that single cell to grow into a tumor large enough to cause problems.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is sharing of straws among friends socially acceptable? I was out with a few friends Saturday night. 2 of us ordered a drink that tasted terrible, and my friend was passing hers around telling people to try her drink. This isn't the first time I have noticed this and it honestly made me want to gag. I don't share any of my utensils. Maybe among people you know it is considered OK because we all knew each other pretty well but it isn't something I ever want to do.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Sometimes. If they're fine with it. Normally I would sip from the glass and not the straw, though.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Xandu posted:

Sometimes. If they're fine with it. Normally I would sip from the glass and not the straw, though.
I did that One time and the girl I was with gave me a what the gently caress look, like putting her spit in her mouth offended me.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Well I'll be damned, I've got those too and I always assumed those were just regular raspberries. I never thought to actually look them up though.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

b0nes posted:

Is sharing of straws among friends socially acceptable? I was out with a few friends Saturday night. 2 of us ordered a drink that tasted terrible, and my friend was passing hers around telling people to try her drink. This isn't the first time I have noticed this and it honestly made me want to gag. I don't share any of my utensils. Maybe among people you know it is considered OK because we all knew each other pretty well but it isn't something I ever want to do.

Xandu posted:

It is incredibly common for my friends and I to go to a bar, each order a different beer, and offer to let each other try what we've ordered.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

You people complaining about the USPS ought to move up here and see how truly awful postal service can be (apparently my city of 115k people is classed as a "rural city" by Canada Post and therefore doesn't have to get five deliveries a week). :allears: I guess that's my question: why the gently caress is that?!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why does Egypt have so many people? Looking at its region on Google Maps, it seems Libya, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Algeria all outsize it, but their populations are absolutely dwarfed by Egypt's.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Why does Egypt have so many people? Looking at its region on Google Maps, it seems Libya, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Algeria all outsize it, but their populations are absolutely dwarfed by Egypt's.

The Nile river valley and the Suez Canal. Food and trade locations make a place populous and wealthy. Its the same reason Egypt was a powerful ancient civilization.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

b0nes posted:

You are totally going to lose your mind when you find out what kissing is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a box fan but it's really fast and really loud on the lowest setting, is there a way I can slow down the speeds to something more tolerable? Just a standard 120v plug.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

A lot of times it has to do with inhaling/ingesting atoms that are still radioactive themselves. For example a radioactive isotope of iodine is produced in nuclear meltdowns/bombs. Our bodies need iodine and it isn't super common (well its added to salt these days to take care of that), so we store it up. The body can't tell the difference between regular iodine and the radioactive kind, so it's happy to store radioactive iodine in your lymph nodes, where the continual release of radiation can cause damage over a longer timescale. This is reason why iodine pills were given out, they were to "fill you up" with regular iodine so your body wouldn't try and store the radioactive stuff.

The second possible answer is that while radiation does immediately damage a cell, it can take a while for a single bad cell to become a problem. The classic case here is radiation induced cancer. One bit of radiation damages one cell in a way that makes it cancerous. It will still take time for that single cell to grow into a tumor large enough to cause problems.

There's also an interesting thing about smoking cigarettes and all the other forms of nicotine ingestion. The tobacco plant requires a lot of nitrogenous fertilizer. A lot of that fertilizer contains polonium. You end up inhaling or ingesting a lot of that element that is harmless outside of your body. In your lungs or GI tract though it's a killer.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/12/so-about-that-glowing-cigarette/

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I bought a box fan but it's really fast and really loud on the lowest setting, is there a way I can slow down the speeds to something more tolerable? Just a standard 120v plug.

Here's one way to do it with a dimmer switch.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

jackpot posted:

One of my favorite features of Firefox is keyword searches, where I can type something like "d wholesome" in the address bar and it'll bring up search results for wholesome at dictionary.com. But suddenly...poof. Stopped working completely a few days ago. If I recreate the bookmark that lets me do this, all is fine, but all my old ones are just useless. Anyone else seen this?

If you right click on the old bookmark does it still have the keyword field filled out? I can't think of any reason why it would disappear, but maybe something happened.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Question about Cygwin: I've downloaded and installed it, and now I'm trying to install other programs that use libraries that cygwin has supposedly already installed. I have no clue how to go about finding the location of these libraries for assembling a Makefile, since cygwin kindly didn't use the /usr/local/{include,lib,bin} structure that every Unix system I've ever seen does.

Am I just better off installing the major packages (python, data archive types, etc.) from scratch myself?

Edit to add that if this is a small programming question that doesn't deserve its own thread, I can take it to the appropriate place instead of waiting here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Xandu posted:

drat dude nobody wants to drink backwash.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I need some house-cleaning advice, goons.

My landlord is coming over tomorrow to do an inspection and there's some tape on the wall that looks like poo poo but I don't know how to get it off. It's like a knock-off version of those 3M Command Strips you can get and was originally holding a small mirror to the wall. I prised the mirror off with a knife but it left some of the tape behind and it's stuck fast. I don't want to scour the wall but I have absolutely no idea how to get this poo poo off:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cyberia posted:

My landlord is coming over tomorrow to do an inspection and there's some tape on the wall that looks like poo poo but I don't know how to get it off. It's like a knock-off version of those 3M Command Strips you can get and was originally holding a small mirror to the wall. I prised the mirror off with a knife but it left some of the tape behind and it's stuck fast. I don't want to scour the wall but I have absolutely no idea how to get this poo poo off:

I assume you've tried just working it off with your thumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tiggum posted:

I assume you've tried just working it off with your thumb?

Yeah, I have but it's like melted onto the wall? It's almost flush against the wall and when I rub / scratch at it the tape residue doesn't come off at all. I figure I need some sort of solvent but I don't know what I can use that isn't going to strip or discolour the paint as well as removing the tape residue.