Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD is designed for APS-C and smaller sensors, and if you're doing that you could get get a tamron 17-50 for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Mr. Despair posted:

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD is designed for APS-C and smaller sensors, and if you're doing that you could get get a tamron 17-50 for less.

Ah, forgot to mention I'm shooting primary on my 5D3 with a 5D2 backup. I think I'll read up on the 17-50, thanks.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
No, he meant that you can't mount any of those lenses.

If your 17-40 is dead, the only thing that can replace it in that price range is another 17-40. Check Craigslist - I see them go sometimes for as low as $450, and average around $600.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

bobfather posted:

No, he meant that you can't mount any of those lenses.

If your 17-40 is dead, the only thing that can replace it in that price range is another 17-40. Check Craigslist - I see them go sometimes for as low as $450, and average around $600.

Ah... got it. Yeah, I picked mine up from CL a while ago so I'll try that and some of the other forums. Thanks!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Oprah Haza posted:

Going along with this, my 17-40 met a horrible death last night...

You're not going to tell us how? :allears:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Reading what you guys wrote about the TS-E 24mm has weakened my will. You guys are evil.
A rental. Cute. :smugdog:

quote:

Your guaranteed delivery date is:
Friday, July 5, 2013

Your package is being shipped by UPS and the tracking number is -.

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Ultra Wide Tilt-Shift Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$1,999.00

Item Subtotal: $1,999.00
Shipping & Handling: $5.99
Promotion Applied: -$0.00
Total Before Tax: $2,004.99
Sales Tax Collected: $160.40
Shipment Total: $2,165.39
Paid by Visa: $2,165.39
I wasn't home to sign for it today. :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 6, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Yeah yeah, I know I know. 24mm TS-E. While I normally have no problem buying gear for no other reason than SHINY GIMME GIMME, for $2k I need an actual reason for the TS part.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Gonna go with the 24-105.

Am I correct that only Canon speedlites are compatible with the additional speedlite controls such as 2nd curtain sync?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

mclifford82 posted:

Am I correct that only Canon speedlites are compatible with the additional speedlite controls such as 2nd curtain sync?
No, I don't think so. I've got a Metz brand flash and it does 2nd curtain sync on my 7D.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

mclifford82 posted:

2nd curtain sync is a body thing and can be turned on regardless of the flash attached. Other features like TTL, HSS, Wireless etc are dependent on the flash. Not necessarily Canon brand, but Canon compatible.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Mightaswell posted:

2nd curtain sync is a body thing and can be turned on regardless of the flash attached. Other features like TTL, HSS, Wireless etc are dependent on the flash. Not necessarily Canon brand, but Canon compatible.

Trying to use a YongNuo 560-II on a 5d3. Looking in the body manual, control for 2nd curtain/high speed sync are in the Flash Function submenu of the External Speedlight Control menu. When I seat the YN speedlite in the hot shoe and try to access the Flash Function submenu, I get the error: "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." (it's on).

Anyone that has experience with this duo that can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. I've tried several different combinations of settings on the body and the speedlite and no combo allows me to get into the menu to set 2nd curtain sync.

I get similar results on my T4i, although I seem to be able to enable 2nd curtain for the pop up flash, which isn't all that handy. Custom wireless flash settings show an option for 1st/2nd curtain, but it is greyed out.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Drunk Badger posted:

You're not going to tell us how? :allears:

After watching/shooting a fireworks show I met up with my some friends to shoot some smaller ones in a cul-de-sac. I began shooting people with sparklers with long exposures on a tripod, someone threw what they thought to be a noisemaker by a crowd of people except it turned out to be a helicopter which launched itselves into the crowd, showering people with sparks. People scrambled, tripod knocked over, shatter, everyone froze, someone started crying. I was five feet away from it all, grabbing an ND filter.

I somehow managed to not yell/raise my voice or stab anyone.

LUCKILY THE 5D3 IT WAS ATTACHED TO ONLY GAINED ONE SCUFF MARK AS A RESULT. I initially thought the mount had ripped off in the crash - the shock/"oh poo poo" thoughts were probably why I didn't start punching people in the dick.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Oprah Haza posted:

LUCKILY THE 5D3 IT WAS ATTACHED TO ONLY GAINED ONE SCUFF MARK AS A RESULT. I initially thought the mount had ripped off in the crash - the shock/"oh poo poo" thoughts were probably why I didn't start punching people in the dick.

I'm glad your camera's okay, but... if there's a helicopter flying into a crowd and you freaked out about your camera, I would probably punch you in the dick.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Oprah Haza posted:

After watching/shooting a fireworks show I met up with my some friends to shoot some smaller ones in a cul-de-sac. I began shooting people with sparklers with long exposures on a tripod, someone threw what they thought to be a noisemaker by a crowd of people except it turned out to be a helicopter which launched itselves into the crowd, showering people with sparks. People scrambled, tripod knocked over, shatter, everyone froze, someone started crying. I was five feet away from it all, grabbing an ND filter.

I somehow managed to not yell/raise my voice or stab anyone.

Why you didn't grab the remainder of the lens and not bludgeon the person responsible to near-death is beyond me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oprah Haza posted:

It might not have helped in your case with people running into the tripod, but if I'm going to be setting up in the same spot for a while I always hang my bag from the tripod. It helps lower the center of gravity and can stop a strong gust of wind or an accidental bump from wrecking your gear.

Sorry about your 17-40. I've got a like-new 17-40 that I'll probably be unloading next week if you're hunting for a replacement soon. :)

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sorry about your 17-40. I've got a like-new 17-40 that I'll probably be unloading next week if you're hunting for a replacement soon. :)

somnambulist posted:

Speaking of, I need to get rid of my 17-40....to the SA mart!!! *flies away*

Comparing the 17-40L and the 24-105L is the latter that much better to go with it? I'm currently using a 50f1.8 on my 5Dc and need something wider.

Also is the kit lens for the 6D the same 24-105L? It seems like I can get that for $2400 or the body for $1900 (and a free printer it seems).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Aquila posted:

Comparing the 17-40L and the 24-105L is the latter that much better to go with it? I'm currently using a 50f1.8 on my 5Dc and need something wider.

Also is the kit lens for the 6D the same 24-105L? It seems like I can get that for $2400 or the body for $1900 (and a free printer it seems).

Same 24-105. Unless you need an ultra wide, there's no comparison of the two, the 24-105 is so much more useful.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Sorry if this has been discussed before but my brand new 40MM pancake lens is no longer autofocusing and I can't tell if I am getting a good manual focus on it either.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm-product-advisory/

I have tried restarting the camera, disconnecting/reattaching the lens, removing the battery, and all of those actions in different orders. It still isn't working. Has anyone had this issue? I am running 2.1.1 and I haven't had the chance to update the firmware but it is worrysome that their known workaround isn't actually working.

Anyone have this issue? Does anyone have a solution?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bobx66 posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed before but my brand new 40MM pancake lens is no longer autofocusing and I can't tell if I am getting a good manual focus on it either.

Huh, I had that problem once but I just used the workaround described and it went back to working. Sounds like you might need a replacement.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My 6D arrived, along with my 17-40L (wasn't as interested in the 24-105). I love this camera.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Aquila posted:

You can get the 6D body off eBay (with warranty card) for $1590 (PeachPhoto is the seller).

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So if I were to pre-order a 70D where do you think I could have the best bet of getting it the soonest? Amazon? B&H? Canon directly?

Obviously no one here can know for sure, just throwing some feelers out there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Probably Adorama.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I anyone is looking to sell either lens soon let me know.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
been reading the thread - going to update from kiss digital x to something more modern prior to a trip to italy, so this is a great resource!

I heard mentioned by a coworker today that folks who do wedding photography and whatnot tend to kill their shutters within a year or two? Is this something we'll experience with a newer camera as well, or only if we were actual professionals? Just getting into the amateur/consumer stuff and wifey wants to upgrade. What is a reasonable camera body that can still use the EFS 55-250 (or should I be using it) that also more importantly uses CF? Should we be looking for the 60d/70d/700d? I liked everything about the 6d, except that waiting for the sd card to catch up sounds terrible. Shooting raws with a 300 speed CF already has delays on the rebel, which is part of what's prompting the upgrade.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

been reading the thread - going to update from kiss digital x to something more modern prior to a trip to italy, so this is a great resource!

I heard mentioned by a coworker today that folks who do wedding photography and whatnot tend to kill their shutters within a year or two? Is this something we'll experience with a newer camera as well, or only if we were actual professionals? Just getting into the amateur/consumer stuff and wifey wants to upgrade. What is a reasonable camera body that can still use the EFS 55-250 (or should I be using it) that also more importantly uses CF? Should we be looking for the 60d/70d/700d? I liked everything about the 6d, except that waiting for the sd card to catch up sounds terrible. Shooting raws with a 300 speed CF already has delays on the rebel, which is part of what's prompting the upgrade.

If you're really worried about using CF cards and EF-S lenses, then it's pretty much only the 7D you should be looking at.

I don't think that either of those are really compelling reasons to stick with a crop body if you were thinking about going full-frame otherwise. 70D is not out yet and won't be until at least september. 60D is a really nice body for the ergonomics, t5i has a slightly newer processor and touch screen LCD (I think), and the SL1 is pretty well featured for something as small as it is. Aside from getting something that feels good for you, the differences in the recent canon aps-c bodies are probably not going to make as much difference as investing in lenses.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

How many shots per second are you expecting to shoot? You're probably running into more speed issues with the Buffer from your camera's processor, not the write speed of your CF card. Just get a card with 90mb/s write speed (ex: Sandisk Extreme Pro) if you go the 6D route (actually, regardless of what camera you choose). You're already spending $1800+ on a camera, spend the $100 for a really good SD card.

The 7D is the only other Canon crop camera that uses compact flash. The 7D can shoot 8fps, the new 70D is claiming to be 6fps and uses SD.

If I was in your shoes and wanted to upgrade and had the budget, I would look at the 6D (if you want full frame) or 70D (which is coming out soon, and you have no need for a full frame camera, especially if you wanted to shoot video from time-to-time). The previews look good (see below). Especially the live-view auto-focusing updates which are a long time coming.

Also, You won't be able to use the 55-250 with the 6D. The 70-200 f/4 comparatively isn't too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4TffRSFSwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVAIEdwfj78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9pmqEN3bE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjH4Inox4YA

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What's the general consensus on the 18-135 lens that you can get bundled with the 70d? If I'm not mistaken, it's the $549 model on Amazon, right? Seems like a nice walk around lens, which is something I don't really have. I have a Sigma 10-20 for the wide end, but nothing decent between that and 50mm, and it's nice to not have to swap lenses if I'm just playing dumb American tourist.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Erwin posted:

What's the general consensus on the 18-135 lens that you can get bundled with the 70d? If I'm not mistaken, it's the $549 model on Amazon, right? Seems like a nice walk around lens, which is something I don't really have. I have a Sigma 10-20 for the wide end, but nothing decent between that and 50mm, and it's nice to not have to swap lenses if I'm just playing dumb American tourist.

Get the Canon 15-85mm IS USM, it'll kill that lens and it's just about the same price. I'm even selling mine for the same price, but would recommend it regardless.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

mclifford82 posted:

Get the Canon 15-85mm IS USM, it'll kill that lens and it's just about the same price. I'm even selling mine for the same price, but would recommend it regardless.

Well, that's not bundled with the 70d for $350. Not that I'm against going body-only and buying a walk around lens, but the bundle seems like a nice deal.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 18-135 isn't a terrible lens and certainly destroys the 18-55 in every aspect but don't be surprised to find the resale value being lovely if you upgrade. More premium stuff like the 15-85 will hold its value much better.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Erwin posted:

I'm in the same boat. Taking the plunge on the 70D but don't know if I should do either of the bundles or just the body. I was eyeing the 18-135 too but honestly I have no idea.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I heard mentioned by a coworker today that folks who do wedding photography and whatnot tend to kill their shutters within a year or two? Is this something we'll experience with a newer camera as well, or only if we were actual professionals?

Most modern camera shutters are rated for at least 100k actuations. I guess if you're shooting a 2500-photo wedding every single weekend of the year, you'd get up around 150,000 after a little over a year. A lot of cameras, though, go well above what they're rated for. In addition, a shutter repair is like $250. Not too bad if you're doing it on a $3,000 camera body like a 5D3.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

dakana posted:

Most modern camera shutters are rated for at least 100k actuations. I guess if you're shooting a 2500-photo wedding every single weekend of the year, you'd get up around 150,000 after a little over a year. A lot of cameras, though, go well above what they're rated for. In addition, a shutter repair is like $250. Not too bad if you're doing it on a $3,000 camera body like a 5D3.

And if you're shooting a 2500 picture wedding every weekend, you can probably justify $250/year.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
2500 shots per weekend every weekend also means you're stuck in front of a computer working on RAW files for the rest of your life :)

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

dakana posted:

...a shutter repair is like $250. Not too bad if you're doing it on a $3,000 camera body like a 5D3.

Is this a price you've seen quoted from an independent repair shop? I've seen people post online that getting a 5D2 shutter replaced through Canon is $400+

I'm wondering how much the actual parts cost vs. labor.

Seamonster posted:

2500 shots per weekend every weekend also means you're stuck in front of a computer working on RAW files for the rest of your life :)

An easier way to blow through your shutter life is shooting time lapse video. You apply LR develop settings to RAW files in batch, so you can edit 200-300 photos in like 5 minutes. Most time is spent exporting. This spring I took about 10,000 photos in two months creating this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6LkVmj8qYM. That's 1/10th of my 6D's rated shutter life.

Inf fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 10, 2013

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

geeves posted:

How many shots per second are you expecting to shoot? You're probably running into more speed issues with the Buffer from your camera's processor, not the write speed of your CF card.

The 7D is the only other Canon crop camera that uses compact flash. The 7D can shoot 8fps, the new 70D is claiming to be 6fps and uses SD.

If I was in your shoes and wanted to upgrade and had the budget, I would look at the 6D (if you want full frame) or 70D (which is coming out soon, and you have no need for a full frame camera, especially if you wanted to shoot video from time-to-time). The previews look good (see below). Especially the live-view auto-focusing updates which are a long time coming.

Also, You won't be able to use the 55-250 with the 6D. The 70-200 f/4 comparatively isn't too expensive.

re: shots per second/speed issues: Truthfully, I don't know what the issue was - I wouldn't doubt that it was buffer given how old the camera is. I was looking at 70D, it seemed to be a great match - but when is it coming out? My trip is end of September, so I'd like to have it by then - although Canon hasn't given an exact date yet.

I don't really know what I'll stick with - whether it's lens or CF, I think we've committed to up to a 2 grand body but no idea what the budget is for a lens. Fairly sure I'll handle buying a good SDcard if it comes to it. I'll give it some time and research, I suppose.

edit: thanks for the info as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Inf posted:

An easier way to blow through your shutter life is shooting time lapse video. You apply LR develop settings to RAW files in batch, so you can edit 200-300 photos in like 5 minutes. Most time is spent exporting. This spring I took about 10,000 photos in two months creating this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6LkVmj8qYM. That's 1/10th of my 6D's rated shutter life.

The same is true for astrophotography. It's probably not worth it over just getting your shutter rebuilt, but I think there are CCD imaging cameras designed for that.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Paul MaudDib posted:

The same is true for astrophotography. It's probably not worth it over just getting your shutter rebuilt, but I think there are CCD imaging cameras designed for that.

Yeah, there are. They're typically lower resolution and have no physical shutter, but they often have a thermocouple mounted to the back of the CCD that chills it down to reduce noise. They're often monochromatic too (no Bayer filter), which is ideal if you're shooting through RGB filters to stack/recombine in post. This is a big advantage when using a refractor telescope because light of a specific color is refracted the same so you get rid of a lot of aberrations by taking filtered monochromatic shots. I've dabbled in astrophotography before myself and concluded that sticking an SLR on there with a T-ring is not ideal, which explains why there's a market for high dollar astrophotography-only sensors.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

re: shots per second/speed issues: Truthfully, I don't know what the issue was - I wouldn't doubt that it was buffer given how old the camera is. I was looking at 70D, it seemed to be a great match - but when is it coming out? My trip is end of September, so I'd like to have it by then - although Canon hasn't given an exact date yet.

I don't really know what I'll stick with - whether it's lens or CF, I think we've committed to up to a 2 grand body but no idea what the budget is for a lens. Fairly sure I'll handle buying a good SDcard if it comes to it. I'll give it some time and research, I suppose.

edit: thanks for the info as well.

Unfortunately, nobody has seen a date for the 70D, yet. And everyone here knows about waiting for new lenses and bodies once they've been announced.

Where are you going on your trip and what do you think you will be shooting? Take these into consideration with the lenses. Are you shooting at night, indoors, etc.

Keep in mind there is always the option to rent bodies and lenses before you buy or rent for the trip itself. Yes, it may be considered an extra investment, but when you're buying a body that will presumably last you the next 4-5 years and lenses that will last you forever, renting may be a small price to pay upfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Erwin posted:

The 18-135 is a perfectly good lens, especially when stopped down. I wouldn't use it indoors, but I've gotten some good landscape shots with it.

IMG_3179 by Jabba the Hutt, on Flickr

IMG_2912 by Jabba the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 10, 2013