Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's an homage to the Rob Cohen masterpiece, The Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Digging the new opening song...thought I would miss the G&K one, but I think I like this one better.

Turning off my phone and settling in for an evening of CIV MADNESS

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

thehumandignity posted:

I don't understand the new Teracotta Army at all. Did they just think it was too boring before?

Yes.

quote:

Why would it do what it does now? It makes no earthly sense.

Why not?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a way to increase the amount of food generated by an internal trade route? Does it just scale with the food production in the origin city? Or with eras?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Because clay statues don't equate to real people? Honestly unless they're going for some strange clay golem army aspect, it's totally baffling to me as well. I'd think it would make more sense as a Heroic Epic-style "morale" booster, but ceramic statues turning into real fighting men is quite a stretch.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Have I just become dramatically worse at this game over a few months of not playing, or is the AI much smarter? I won a culture victory as Poland on Prince, just to explore all the new systems, and now that I've moved up to King, I ragequit three games because of being completely dominated. (also Poland's UA owns bones) It's not even about getting attacked, I'm simply outpaced in every single area. Culture especially seems very difficult to acquire now. On the plus side, diplomacy appears to make much more sense and the AI leaders are a lot less backstabby, probably thanks to benefiting from trade relations.

Can't wait to see what kind of early game tricks emerge. Looks like it'll be significantly less focused on grabbing luxuries now.

Edit: On an unrelated note, that first song you hear when you start playing as Poland is most commonly sung as a Christmas carol. It feels weird. IT'S JULY :argh:

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 10, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Because clay statues don't equate to real people? Honestly unless they're going for some strange clay golem army aspect, it's totally baffling to me as well. I'd think it would make more sense as a Heroic Epic-style "morale" booster, but ceramic statues turning into real fighting men is quite a stretch.

Turns out Civilization is not the best series if you're looking for realism.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I need some tips on cultural victories. It seems like no matter how hard I focus on it, it makes no difference. I put around 140 tourism, the closest contender, Poland, only puts 40. I have Louvre, Broadway, Hermitage, Oxford & Sistine Chapel, all of them fully curated.

But some civs have way too much culture and Poland is a monster in every way right now. And I have to get influential with all of them?? Yeah, unless late game radically changes things I don't see how.:(

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

fspades posted:

I need some tips on cultural victories. It seems like no matter how hard I focus on it, it makes no difference. I put around 140 tourism, the closest contender, Poland, only puts 40. I have Louvre, Broadway, Hermitage, Oxford & Sistine Chapel, all of them fully curated.

But some civs have way too much culture and Poland is a monster in every way right now. And I have to get influential with all of them?? Yeah, unless late game radically changes things I don't see how.:(
Hotels and Airports are the big game changer, followed by The Internet - also, you can start using great musicians as tourism bombs.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

Maybe it inspires other citizens to become soldiers because it's totally awesome? Don't think about it too hard, it's just a neat effect.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kanfy posted:

Turns out Civilization is not the best series if you're looking for realism.

You're right, I forgot that Civ is a D&D game, and is full of elemental sorcery.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

HMS Beagle posted:

Maybe it inspires other citizens to become soldiers because it's totally awesome? Don't think about it too hard, it's just a neat effect.

"One day I, too, will be buried in the Emperor's tomb for his vanity."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sarmhan posted:

Hotels and Airports are the big game changer, followed by The Internet - also, you can start using great musicians as tourism bombs.

Yeah, use great Musicians, and make sure you have both open borders and a trade route to the civ (if they're on a different continent this can be hard until you research Refrigeration).

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Have I just become dramatically worse at this game over a few months of not playing, or is the AI much smarter? I won a culture victory as Poland on Prince, just to explore all the new systems, and now that I've moved up to King, I ragequit three games because of being completely dominated. It's not even about getting attacked, I'm simply outpaced in every single area. Culture especially seems very difficult to acquire now. On the plus side, diplomacy appears to make much more sense and the AI leaders are a lot less backstabby, probably thanks to benefiting from trade relations.

Can't wait to see what kind of early game tricks emerge. Looks like it'll be significantly less focused on grabbing luxuries now.

The game is much harder if you are trying to play it the same as was optimal in G&K. Early luxuries are only good for happiness, same with most other resources unless you luck out and can get an early DoF, and even then, you can't sell a luxury you settled on T10 like you once could.

I still haven't figured how to play it and I'm mostly messing around, but so far I've been really impressed with Piety, and not so impressed with Poland, who seems strong on paper but just doesn't translate properly and was mediocre.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Muscle Tracer posted:

You're right, I forgot that Civ is a D&D game, and is full of elemental sorcery.

So how does Himeji Castle improve the fighting abilities of units on a different continent or Big Ben make purchasing things cheaper? And what does it matter?

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I'm most of the way through my first game as Morocco. King difficulty, continents, large map size, added all of the new civs (except Portugal because I'm an idiot) plus two random civs (turned out to be Germany and Sweden). The continental split was Morocco (me), Poland, Germany, Sweden, Venice, and Indonesia on one continent. The other had Shoshone, Zulu, Assyria, and Brazil.

The goal of this game was to test out the new gameplay additions (trade routes, culture, policies, etc) without really trying to go for any particular victory condition. Brazil got slaughtered in the late Classical period by the Shaka juggernaut before anyone on my continent had a chance to meet Pedro. Assyria is managing to hang in there, sandwiched between Shaka and the runaway score leader Pocotello. Indonesia started in an amazing section of my continent but didn't manage to grow past 3 cities by the industrial era.

Venice started in the cold north with a buffer of 3 city states between them and Sweden, Poland, and Germany. It took Venice seemingly forever to assimilate the first city state, and in the meantime he was content to chill at the bottom of scoreboard. He only managed to take over 2 city states the whole game (through early industrial era) despite not going to war with anyone. Maybe Venice will be more annoying in a different map setting, but in this game he was kinda like a super city state, and not in a good way. Currently, in the mid-Industrial era, Venice was finally attacked by Sweden and lost its two city state puppets. Now he really is just another city state.

The most surprising thing about the game was how peaceful it was. I was rather aggressive in my expansion and all of our cities were intermingled and with numerous adjacent borders. Poland and Germany bordered my land but the first war (on my continent) didn't start until the late medieval/early industrial era. Bismarck attacked my Petra city (placed 5 tiles from Berlin and surrounded by 3 other German cities). He managed to overwhelm that city, plus my two city-state allies, before I could mount a counter-attack. After I picked off most of his units and started retaking my land and some of his, Sweden attacked the now weakened Germany and drove him down to one size 3 town on an island. My military had no chance to repel the initial German invasion, but like the game has always been, it was trivial to whittle their army down to nothing and take everything back. Now we're all friends again.

I ignored religion in this game so I can't comment on the religion additions, but they look interesting. I just finished Archaeology and just turned out my first archaeologist, so we'll see how that goes. Antiquity sites popped up all over the place, though most were placed where barbarian camps had been. I doubt I'll get much from those, but who knows. I like how the trade routes work. You NEED trade to be a financial powerhouse so you could really disrupt a civ financially if you poach their cargo ships and caravans. When Germany declared war on my, I attacked the three caravans in my territory for some quick cash, then repurposed several of my caravans to provide production at the city where I intended to make my stand. I was able to churn out quite a few units, just in time, and that's what turned the tide for me. Very cool. It should be said that I ignored my military most of the game, but I kept all the units that my militaristic city-state ally provided to me. I wasn't in terrible shape when invaded, but I could have made a better effort.

I really, really like Morocco. I generally like economy and empire building games more than warmongering and Morocco suited me perfectly. The biggest surprise was the Kasbah. I skimmed past it in the previews somehow, hence the surprise, but it basically turns your Petra town into a roided-out Petra town...and turns non-Petra desert cities into thriving towns.

My overall impression of BNW is very positive. The AI isn't as aggressive, which is nice, but somebody will still invariably attack. It could be at any time, though, instead of at least one or two guaranteed early wars. Overall the game feels more difficult. There is a lot going on and I found myself way behind in tech because I was focusing on the new additions and wonders. I'm looking forward to seeing how the modern culture/tourism gameplay will pan out. I think my next game will have to be Portugal since they were left out of this game.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sarmhan posted:

This is with Hotels. But yeah, it sounds like I should stop putting more great works and just spend them on GAs and tourism bombs.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

'If you look to your left you can see: The Pyramids of London, The Taj Mahal of London, the Hanging Gardens of London, the Neuschwanstein von London...'

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

fspades posted:

It does: all the multiplicative tourism bonuses, except for the International Games, are in the late game to let you pull ahead. Airports, Hotels, the National Visitor Center, and a tier-3 bonus for each ideology stack to let late-game tourism production outpace the culture output of anything other than a runaway continent-spanning civ.

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel

Muscle Tracer posted:

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/El_Dorado_(Civ5)

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Fountain_of_Youth_(Civ5)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ghandi also did not launch nukes like he was making it rain at a club, and I'm fairly sure the Zulu didn't go to space.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

'If you look to your left you can see: The Pyramids of London, The Taj Mahal of London, the Hanging Gardens of London, the Neuschwanstein von London...'

Ah, London, birthplace of the great religion of Islam, whose beliefs magically allow us to create buildings and armies out of fish.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I found Mt. Kilimanjaro and it has a kickass upgrade for units that park next to it. +1 movement and +10% combat bonus on hills! The only downside is they messed up the graphics. It's supposed to have two peaks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SlightlyMadman posted:

Ah, London, birthplace of the great religion of Islam, whose beliefs magically allow us to create buildings and armies out of fish.

One day, we pray, they will end their bloody war with the Christian empire of Arabia. This war has been on and off since they were cave men with clubs, and now a nuclear threat looms to the east in the Incas, who follow a strange faith called "The D".

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Most of the wonder abilities don't make any sense, Civ has never been about realism in any way.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

fspades posted:

First - by fully curated, are you getting the maximum theme bonus for those wonders?
Second - Hotels and Airports are key, as said. Between the boost to great works and improvement/wonder culture, they can really push your tourism.
Third - Don't forget archeology. Landmarks can put out a lot of culture, which is then turned into tourism. For instance, I was getting landmarks with something like 13 culture per turn (ancient landmark, +4 from the Heritage Site proposal, +4 from a Freedom tenet). The culture also helps you get your ideology up there, where the huge bonuses sit.
Fourth - Ideology - again, all three ideologies have some huge boost to tourism at their 3rd level, and some other tenets help as well.
Fifth - World Congress - try to get the Heritage Sites and Arts funding passed. International Games will double your tourism output for 20 turns, make sure you get that if you can.
Sixth - musicians - Don't use late game musicians for their great works. They have a tourism strength 10x that of the tourism output of your empire when they are born if used for a concert tour. So if you can time it properly, try to make sure you get as many musicians born during the International Games as possible (assuming you got it). You can probably reliably get two or three, by natural means/purchasing with faith. Also applies for late game when you get the Internet tech. For instance, with your 140 tourism, you can put 1400 tourism into the rival with the best culture defense, and 280 into every other civ. Compared to the +6 or so per turn you'd get at most from a great work (unless you need it for a theme bonus).
Seventh - Open borders and trade routes - each give you +25% tourism against a Civ, so make sure you have them both with as many civs as possible. Another +25% once you both have ideologies and you have a diplomat in their capital.
Seventh - Remember, you can always just eliminate a rival who is being too stubborn.

Edit: Keep using Artists/Writers for the great works, especially since you can get theming bonuses for art work in all those museums. Golden Ages don't directly impact your tourism output, and you want that as high as possible. Exceptions are things like needing production for key wonders/projects, or culture to get that 3rd-tier tenet that boosts your tourism.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 10, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

uPen posted:

Most of the wonder abilities don't make any sense, Civ has never been about realism in any way.

I've played Montezuma and babied a small cadre of Jaguar Warriors from the dawn of time to the information age. They still healed 25 health after killing an enemy and still had the jungle/forest bonus as mechanized infantry. I like to imagine that they dismount from their leopard cammo marsupial APCs, open fire with JHP obsidian rounds, and then pull out their special heart-rippin' combat knives to feast on the strength of the fallen.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

fspades posted:

This is with Hotels. But yeah, it sounds like I should stop putting more great works and just spend them on GAs and tourism bombs.

The amount of tourism GMs bomb for scales with how much tourism you produce, so not building up your great works and just tourism bombing isn't going to work.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Terracotta Army also gave me free units in Rise Of Nations so this makes perfect sense imo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

The amount of tourism GMs bomb for scales with how much tourism you produce, so not building up your great works and just tourism bombing isn't going to work.

Here's a real world example of that strategy!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Davincie posted:

The Terracotta Army also gave me free units in Rise Of Nations so this makes perfect sense imo.

I concur.

thehumandignity posted:

"One day I, too, will be buried in the Emperor's tomb for his vanity."

this is good

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Considering where it is in the tech chart and the relative dearth of military wonders it seems like a nice change to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey is it possible to run an Aztec game for a culture win while also being super aggressive, or does the culture per kill ratio never really have a big effect longterm? I never played them but they could be fun now that culture isn't the boring rear end in a top hat path.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey is it possible to run an Aztec game for a culture win while also being super aggressive, or does the culture per kill ratio never really have a big effect longterm? I never played them but they could be fun now that culture isn't the boring rear end in a top hat path.

Probably. Aztecs are really good at everything since their UB is so good.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I just beat my first BNW game as Poland, tourist haven, professional cultural heritage thief, and world leader. I renamed the world congress Warsaw Pact and forced Washington to switch from Freedom to Order. Civilization is so hosed up.

I love how much more interaction there is in the later ages now, cultural victories were pretty much the same whether you were stuck on an island or in the middle of Pangaea (except the turns spent on a standing army).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

uPen posted:

Probably. Aztecs are really good at everything since their UB is so good.

Awesome, for some reason the idea of playing a crazy rear end in a top hat who kills tons of people but also has a really bitchin arts program makes me giggle.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

marchantia posted:

Digging the new opening song...thought I would miss the G&K one, but I think I like this one better.

Turning off my phone and settling in for an evening of CIV MADNESS

My game still plays the G&K song. I'm not sure how to fix it and I'm not really eager to fix it, it's just a weird thing.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Am I to understand that if I own G&K and I buy the Gold Edition Upgrade, I save 10 bux on the new Xpac and get the DLC? If so, that is a fantastic deal.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SlightlyMadman posted:

I posted a fix in the last thread, but it altered the map so much that it wasn't as fun any more. The fix I posted a couple pages back works ok (there's still going to be some land at the seam, but it won't be in the middle of a big continent or anything), with the only problem being that it does make the landmasses slightly more blobby, but it's not too noticeable.

I'm using a different fix I found on the CivFanatics forums. It required me to actually edit the mapscript, but what it does is find the "wettest" column of the map and shift the seam there. I'm not sure if that's what the fix you posted does, but if anyone wants the full mapscript, I stuck it on pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/33ammd5e

Just paste it into PerfectWorld3.lua replacing the entire mapscript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really like the shoshone so far. having a unit that's pretty much a warrior and scout combined and being able to choose ruin rewards can net you some pretty rad things early game.

• Locked thread