Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't elise the great have a cyst removal while on Mirena??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

SilverSliver posted:

Yay! :neckbeard:
Which one are you getting? Either way you're gonna love it. Take some ibuprofen about an hour or two before hand and enjoy your baby free sexin'. (Condoms condoms condoms for new partners though! Did I mention condoms yet? Condoms.)

Mirena! I'm stoked.

My partner is not new by any stretch; we're tested regularly and have done just fine for 8 months with the pill and withdrawal but I got very freaked out this month since it's the first time I haven't taken my pill perfectly in a long time. Paranoia is a good thing (condoms are better).

To those of you with acne, try sulfur treatments when salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide fail. All the Neutrogena/Clearasil/etc. formulas did nothing for me, then I stepped up to Sephora and spent even more money for glycolic acid peels, and eventually went on antibiotics, all with no luck. I finally found relief in the proactiv "Refining Mask". It smells predictably like rotten eggs, but man, it works better than anything.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Mirena! I'm stoked.

My partner is not new by any stretch; we're tested regularly and have done just fine for 8 months with the pill and withdrawal but I got very freaked out this month since it's the first time I haven't taken my pill perfectly in a long time. Paranoia is a good thing (condoms are better).

Glad to hear it! And I'm sorry that I assumed otherwise. Friends? :D
You are gonna love the Mirena. All the sex, none of the worry. And lesser periods. :dance:

ps: Why would there be a worry about cyst removals with Mirena/an IUD? Is the cyst in the womb or on the ovary?
edit: Oh... getting a cyst. Read that wrong. :downs:

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 6, 2013

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

There have been some changes in my life recently. First, I switched from Safryal (think it's essentially Yasmin with vitamins) to Lo-Ogestrel 1.5 months ago, so my body is still adjusting to the new formula. Weeks 1 and 2 have been difficult, with intermittent nausea and irritability. I have yet to have a normal period during my placebo week; the only time I've bled since starting the new medication was a few days around week 2 in pack 1. Overall, it's been manageable with no other obvious/notable side effects. In addition to that change, I've traveled 6 hours into the future and have been battling jet lag. I'm also a lot--and I mean a lot--more physically active since arriving in Europe.

Yesterday night, I did my regular check up to see how my lady parts are doing. When I checked my ovaries, I noticed something strange: my left ovary feels larger than my right... Not like there's a lump so much as swelling or something. As far as I know, this hasn't happened before. I don't know if anything I mentioned above is relevant, but I feel like I should check in. Should I give it a few days and see what happens, or is this too abnormal to be ignored? I figure it's better to ask than dwell on it, like the anxiety-ridden person I am, until clinics open on Monday. I doubt it's super serious, but I know how weird the lady reproductive system can get.

I mean, if I should/have to go to the doctor, it's okay! I have more insurance in Europe than I do back home. :toot: Hooray!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Tshirt Ninja posted:

It smells predictably like rotten eggs, but man, it works better than anything.

This does work well, actually. I forgot I had used it in the earlier days of my breakout. It really does help shrink things down.

And it does smell like sulfur, but as a geo, all I could think every time I had it on was "drat my face smells like sphalerite"!

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

broken pixel posted:

There have been some changes in my life recently. First, I switched from Safryal (think it's essentially Yasmin with vitamins) to Lo-Ogestrel 1.5 months ago, so my body is still adjusting to the new formula. Weeks 1 and 2 have been difficult, with intermittent nausea and irritability. I have yet to have a normal period during my placebo week; the only time I've bled since starting the new medication was a few days around week 2 in pack 1. Overall, it's been manageable with no other obvious/notable side effects. In addition to that change, I've traveled 6 hours into the future and have been battling jet lag. I'm also a lot--and I mean a lot--more physically active since arriving in Europe.

Yesterday night, I did my regular check up to see how my lady parts are doing. When I checked my ovaries, I noticed something strange: my left ovary feels larger than my right... Not like there's a lump so much as swelling or something. As far as I know, this hasn't happened before. I don't know if anything I mentioned above is relevant, but I feel like I should check in. Should I give it a few days and see what happens, or is this too abnormal to be ignored? I figure it's better to ask than dwell on it, like the anxiety-ridden person I am, until clinics open on Monday. I doubt it's super serious, but I know how weird the lady reproductive system can get.

I mean, if I should/have to go to the doctor, it's okay! I have more insurance in Europe than I do back home. :toot: Hooray!

Functional cysts are normal and most women get them during their childbearing years. They generally occur when an egg is getting ready to be released but does not actually come out, causing swelling with fluid. They usually go away after another 2 or 3 cycles. They are not painful but feel odd.
That being said, yes you absolutely should get it checked out. Always better safe than sorry.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Ugh, I'm spotting for the first time in a year and a half, and it's weirding me out. I've had my Mirena for 3 years, and haven't had a full-blown period since about the 8th month in. I know random spotting is normal, it just feels weird that it hasn't happened in so long. Hopefully this doesn't keep up since I don't even keep any period-related goodies in the house anymore, and I'm way poor since my stipend won't be distributed until September 1. :ohdear:

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Going to my GP in the morning for these daily cramps. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't happening frequently and all on one side. Here's to hoping its a cyst and nothing else. :/

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I've posted a lot here about my journey with having a tubal, and my subsequent health related issues, and I wanted to make a post and give a little update on the whole shenanigans because I'm stressed as hell and... well, just kind of want to vent, mostly. :smith:

About two months ago, my husband finally made me schedule a new appointment with my GYN because of frequent bleeding every time we have sex. It's not persistant and is literally ONLY when we've had sex - as light and gentle as possible and nope, still tons of blood for no real reason at all. No bleeding after, no spotting. And no sign of a period since probably about December - since last September when I had the tubal done I've had two periods total.

After going to my doctor and informing her of all of this stuff, she seemed pretty cold and non receptive to what I had to say. I felt like she sort of blew me off and acted like maybe I wasn't really having pains as bad as I claimed. This pain has been in the exact same spot, on my right side just inside of my hipbone literally since the day of my surgery. It has not stopped. It gets worse when I move around to any degree, when I have sex, and sometimes for no reason at all, to the point that I am doubled over in agony crying and have at one point blacked out for a few seconds from how bad it was. She sent me for an ultrasound, which came back that my womb lining was 2mm thickened more than normal, and so they decided to do a biopsy. It was awful, but that's neither here nor there. It also came back as "non-cancerous", which is good but that still doesn't solve my problem.

After further consulting with the doctor she has determined that the issue is my endometriosis (No poo poo? Still no explanation for the bleeding, though...) and that it was being controlled while I was on birth control, and since I went off of it when I had the surgery, it's now had a chance to flower and run wild and is having a party in my ladybits. When I asked if I could just get a hysterectomy and solve the whole shebang, she hummed and hurrd at me for a few minutes and then told me absolutely not, she simply can't do it, it's not medicly ethical to do a hysterectomy on someone my age (now 28) and anyway my insurance simply won't cover it because at this point it's considered elective since I'm already sterilized. She told me that the only solution she could offer me - and indeed the only way I could even begin to be considered for a hysterectomy, would be to take this certain injection for endometriosis (and ironically, for cancer) called "Depot Lupron". Check out this amazing list of side effects - essentially what this drug does is send you into menopause with the assumption that it gives the sores inside a chance to heal up over the course of the six month treatment, so when you come off of it the stuff will take a much longer time to redevelop.

Long story short, I'm in my second week now of having this injection and I'm having pretty much the worst side effects you can imagine and I feel like death. I understand that getting a full hysterectomy would be these same symptoms, but god at least I'd only have to go through this once then instead of multiple times. :smith:

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 9, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Can you get a second opinion? Has the injection done anything for the symptoms yet?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Ceridwen posted:

Can you get a second opinion? Has the injection done anything for the symptoms yet?

Unfortunately, at this short point I've only seen bad symptoms/side effects from it. They say that your pain will get a bit worse for up to a month before it'll start getting better due to how it works (causes your pituitary gland to flood your body with hormone which makes your ovaries shut down, as I understand it) so for a short period of time everything is kicked into overdrive. Most women seem to report noticing positive side effects, if they get any at all, within a month's time / around when they go for the second injection. :/

I've considered getting a second opinion, but the only other doctor in my town is really dodgedy and has a very bad reputation. At this point though, I'm about ready to go see them just to get a check up and hear their thoughts on the whole drat mess.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 9, 2013

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
If transportation isn't an issue, please try a doctor in a different town. I had to drive 40 minutes away, but the women's clinic there is so much better that the drive is worth the extra time it takes to drive over. Every part of the experience is better at my new doctor, from not having creepy baby pictures all over the place to having my doctor actually care about my concerns.

I had a horrible, horrible crampfest last night thanks to Mirena. Splitting pain all throughout my abdomen, tunnel vision, lightheaded, I could barely walk to the next room to get some tylenol in me which took an agonizingly long time to kick in. Everything seems to be where it's supposed to be, so I don't think it was trying to expel, I just thought I was dying for a little while. I've also noticed I'm lightheaded a lot, which I've finally realized is probably from my Mirena. I see it's a potential side effect, so ehh, not much I can do until my body calms down. Ugh.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
^Thats exactly what I've been dealing with daily for the past couple of weeks. :( hope it gets better for you.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Grape Soda posted:

I had a horrible, horrible crampfest last night thanks to Mirena. Splitting pain all throughout my abdomen, tunnel vision, lightheaded, I could barely walk to the next room to get some tylenol in me which took an agonizingly long time to kick in. Everything seems to be where it's supposed to be, so I don't think it was trying to expel, I just thought I was dying for a little while. I've also noticed I'm lightheaded a lot, which I've finally realized is probably from my Mirena. I see it's a potential side effect, so ehh, not much I can do until my body calms down. Ugh.

Yeah, about two weeks-ish after mine was installed(never get tired of saying that!) I was camping out in cramptown for oh... three days when I got my first period. It's been two months now and the second period was much better and lighter. Now I'm just spotting off and on, but it's very very light.

I hope you're feeling better soon Satyr, it sounds like you're having a poo poo time of it. Whine all you like, it's what we're here for! :sympathy:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

It's not persistant and is literally ONLY when we've had sex - as light and gentle as possible and nope, still tons of blood for no real reason at all. No bleeding after, no spotting.

Random question. Are you 100% sure the blood is coming from you? Like have you had sex while he was wearing a condom and made sure the blood wasn't coming from him?

It doesn't explain the pain but there could be two unrelated issues here.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

GoodBee posted:

Random question. Are you 100% sure the blood is coming from you? Like have you had sex while he was wearing a condom and made sure the blood wasn't coming from him?

It doesn't explain the pain but there could be two unrelated issues here.

I'm bleeding even when there's no penetration, and when using toys so it's definitely not from him. :/

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
You all are making me fear my Mirena placement coming up next week :( I shouldn't still be weighing my pros and cons at this point, but I am. On the pill I need to special order 32F bras and pants several inches larger just so I have something to wear the week of my period - I gain and lose almost 10 pounds on either side of it. I also HATE forgetting to take it. But I have no cramps, no awful bleeding, manageable acne and no babies thus far. What if all that goes to poo poo with an IUD??

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

You all are making me fear my Mirena placement coming up next week :( I shouldn't still be weighing my pros and cons at this point, but I am. On the pill I need to special order 32F bras and pants several inches larger just so I have something to wear the week of my period - I gain and lose almost 10 pounds on either side of it. I also HATE forgetting to take it. But I have no cramps, no awful bleeding, manageable acne and no babies thus far. What if all that goes to poo poo with an IUD??

If it makes you feel better, I haven't really had anything as bad as what some of the previous posters have described and I have the IUD that's notorious for making cramps worse. I generally don't have any cramps at all except during my period and a few when I ovulate. So it is possible to have an IUD without major problems! Unfortunately, it's like most birth control and you just have to try it to really know how you'll react to it.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Tshirt Ninja: It's gonna be crampy and a bit ouchie. You may or may not deviate from how you usually have your period. And it's gonna be fine. If you hate it, it's no biggie to have it removed. :D

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My Mirena is the best thing EVAR. It was worth the insertion, worth the cramps I get sometimes. So very worth it.

And I just celebrated one year period freeeeeee! :dance:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

My Mirena is the best thing EVAR. It was worth the insertion, worth the cramps I get sometimes. So very worth it.

And I just celebrated one year period freeeeeee! :dance:

This definitely. Even with what side-effects I have had, it's been SO worth it. I honestly didn't even realize how many weird things the pill was doing until I switched to the IUD (like for example, it just hit me a few days ago that I've stopped getting yeast infections altogether when I used to have one every month or two).

What you're feeling is very normal I think. I was freaked out about how it was going to affect me and considered backing out right up until I was in the waiting room that day! I won't lie, things probably will be a little bumpy at first while your body adjusts to the IUD, but if you can stick with it that stuff usually goes away. And like others have said if it doesn't work out, removal is generally pretty simple.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah go back to my post history last June. I was mega freaked. So, that's normal. But it'll be OK.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
In spite of all the weird crampiness, I am so glad I got the Mirena. It's likely that any cysts I got would have happened anyway. :)

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie
Hey Ladies.

I am thinking about switching from paragard to mirena. I was wondering if anyone had done the same?

I would like to keep:
- idiot-proof, effective, long term birth control

I would like to ditch:
- Hideous, Murder-pants periods. Seriously, a super plus tampon every three hours?

I am worried about:
- Losing my sex drive, like I did with hormonal birth control pills.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

jai Mundi fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 12, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jai Mundi posted:

I would like to ditch:
- Hideous, Murder-pants periods. Seriously, a super plus tampon every three hours?

Something I didn't discover until I got Paragard: some tampon companies (or Tampax at least that I know of) make "Ultra" tampons that are like a step above super plus. It doesn't solve your problem, but it might be helpful in the meantime.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

jai Mundi posted:

Hey Ladies.

I am thinking about switching from paragard to mirena. I was wondering if anyone had done the same?

I would like to keep:

I would like to ditch:

I am worried about :
- Losing my sex drive, due to hormonal birth control pills.

I had the paraguard and that's how it was working for me as well. A little over a year after having it removed I got the mirena. After two months my periods are now just spotting and my sex drive is fine.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Ladies with Mirena - when did you start to see the major side effects tail off post-insertion? My wife had her's done about three weeks ago and she's still on and off bleeding, cramping, moody/irritable and has zero sex drive (not sure if the last two are hormonal in nature or a side effect of the first two.)

I kind of expected this as she was previously on Nuvaring so I assumed it would be a double-whammy of coming off the ring and going on the IUD, but she's been hinting that she's going to ask about having it removed at her six week post-insertion checkup.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I have bleeding on and off to this day, since having it put in September 2011. Mostly after sex, sometimes a weird mini period. But the moodiness and hate I experienced due to the ring went away as soon as I stopped using it, so I don't know what to say about your wife. Hopefully she'll stick it out and it'll get better. I mean, she DID just get something stuffed up her cervix, things gotta settle down.

mau
Jan 13, 2013

jai Mundi posted:

Hey Ladies.

I would like to keep:

I would like to ditch:

I am worried about :
- Losing my sex drive, like I did with hormonal birth control pills.

If murder-pants periods are your only problem with paragard, have you considered taking something to lessen your flow? Some people have had luck with vitamin E - although it's not water soluble so you need to be careful not to take too much. I personally had a prescription for Cyklokapron when I had Flexi-T. It worked wonders for murder-pants periods even if it was kinda costly.

E: I also tried Mirena but found it made my acne worse and I noticed I felt a lot less anxious and had a better sex drive when I came off it. But who knows, it might've all been in my head. Maybe I was just happy that my skin was getting better. *shrug*

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Got my Nexplanon put in today!

After my awful experience with my failed Mirena insertion, this was a breeze. They gave me a local Novacaine block and after that I didn't feel anything but pressure. I will reserve my judgement until the side effects kick in, but I would strongly recommend not shying away from one because of the procedure itself. In fact, I had my last Gardasil vaccine done in my other arm at the same time and that hurt way more and has stayed sore much longer (and even that was well within the realm of tolerable.)

Joinin' the Fembot ranks. :awesomelon:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 12, 2013

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
So the Ultrasound was interesting on Thursday. They didn't tell me anything, but everything just hurt. From the pressing down when they did the ultrasound from outside, to the touching on the inside during the transvaginal ultrasound, it never stopped hurting--and only on the right side. I'm actually glad that I don't have a partner right now, because there is no way I would be able to have sex comfortably.

I'm hoping my doctor calls on Monday to discuss what the radiologist saw. If not, I have another appointment on Wednesday.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I guess what I'm saying is that the pill is working just fine for me and I'm not sure why I'm switching beyond a few late/missed pill incidents (none of which resulted in pregnancy). I don't get mood swings, yeast infections or heavy bleeding (never even need to use anything but Light tampons). I'm curious about whether switching to an IUD would make my chest stop being ginormous/get rid of my period/improve my sex drive etc. but none of these problems are so bad that I'm willing to put up with acne and nonstop bleeding for the rest of the summer just to find out if maybe the Mirena would improve them.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that the pill is working just fine for me and I'm not sure why I'm switching beyond a few late/missed pill incidents (none of which resulted in pregnancy). I don't get mood swings, yeast infections or heavy bleeding (never even need to use anything but Light tampons). I'm curious about whether switching to an IUD would make my chest stop being ginormous/get rid of my period/improve my sex drive etc. but none of these problems are so bad that I'm willing to put up with acne and nonstop bleeding for the rest of the summer just to find out if maybe the Mirena would improve them.

OK so don't, I guess.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
My first implanon just ran out of estimated time this month. It has been the GREATEST thing to ever happen to me. I haven't had a single side effect, and after the first three months, I haven't had even the inkling of a single period. (And mine used to be horrible, like a blood volcano of doom for 5+ days, and all the other crap that comes with it).

I called the closest provider and they said that I have to come by and fill out the ppwk to order it first, to their office. Then she said that I have to have it taken out, and then wait "a cycle" to put one back in? That sounds absolutely retarded. Why would I mess with my hormones like that, possibly causing my period reduction to start over for months, and also have to be cut open twice? Did I call a dumbass doctor? I would have started this process earlier if I knew it would be more complicated than making an appointment and having it swapped out.

I don't have insurance, but I have the money to pay for it. I'd sell my car to pay for it, if I had to. :lol:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Uh. Most people I know on their second implant get the new one shoved in right after the old one comes out.

Call PP if you have one?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

My first implanon just ran out of estimated time this month. It has been the GREATEST thing to ever happen to me. I haven't had a single side effect, and after the first three months, I haven't had even the inkling of a single period. (And mine used to be horrible, like a blood volcano of doom for 5+ days, and all the other crap that comes with it).

I called the closest provider and they said that I have to come by and fill out the ppwk to order it first, to their office. Then she said that I have to have it taken out, and then wait "a cycle" to put one back in? That sounds absolutely retarded. Why would I mess with my hormones like that, possibly causing my period reduction to start over for months, and also have to be cut open twice? Did I call a dumbass doctor? I would have started this process earlier if I knew it would be more complicated than making an appointment and having it swapped out.

I don't have insurance, but I have the money to pay for it. I'd sell my car to pay for it, if I had to. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that's just the doctor being weird honestly because I just pulled this out of the Implanon prescribing information packet on their official website (as in the guidelines intended for use by actual medical practitioners. I bolded the relevant part):

quote:

IMPLANON is a long-acting (up to 3 years), reversible, hormonal contraceptive method. The implant must be removed by the end of the third year and may be replaced by a new implant at the time of removal, if continued contraceptive protection is desired.

Also the protection from Implanon goes away as soon as a week after removal, so besides just screwing with your hormones, it could be a real problem if you're sexually active at all. Like Geolicious mentioned, see if may there's a Planned Parenthood within a reasonable distance? It kind of depends on the individual clinic, but they're usually awesome about both the price and being well informed about your method of choice. Another option might be your county health department if you have one, as a lot of them offer low cost birth control or if they don't offer Implanon, will refer you to a doctor who does.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
There is only one PP in all of Northern Virginia, but there are about 5 more OBGYNS within 10 miles of me. I might call a couple more before I go all the way up to Falls Church to the PP. But I KNEW that was an idiotic thing to tell me on the phone. Also, the first receptionist that answered told me that I had to order it from a phone number FIRST, and the number she gave me was literally the FDA side-effects reporting line.

FYI, the PP website says the going price for Implanon is $860, and that IUDs are only $600-700. That makes no sense to me? I don't care about the cost, but an IUD seems a heckuva lot more invasive a procedure, with a lot more risks?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

There is only one PP in all of Northern Virginia, but there are about 5 more OBGYNS within 10 miles of me. I might call a couple more before I go all the way up to Falls Church to the PP. But I KNEW that was an idiotic thing to tell me on the phone. Also, the first receptionist that answered told me that I had to order it from a phone number FIRST, and the number she gave me was literally the FDA side-effects reporting line.

FYI, the PP website says the going price for Implanon is $860, and that IUDs are only $600-700. That makes no sense to me? I don't care about the cost, but an IUD seems a heckuva lot more invasive a procedure, with a lot more risks?

It probably has more to do with the cost of the actual device than risk. IUDs can run around $800 if you buy them yourself. I can't find pricing info for Implanon but I'm guessing it's probably also pretty pricey especially since it's hormonal and still under the drug company patent. Then you also have to take into account that some of that might be charging for the doctor or nurse's time, any medications they might administer (like local anesthetic), sterilizing the instruments, etc.

And I don't know if I'd consider an IUD really any more invasive (medically speaking anyway). You're just placing something in a preexisting body cavity through the vagina and cervix. With Implanon it's actually considered more of a minor surgical procedure since you actually have to break the skin and kind of create a pocket for the implant. It also has its own risks, since there are lots of nerves and blood vessels deeper in the tissue that can be damaged if the insertion isn't done correctly.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Kimmalah posted:

It probably has more to do with the cost of the actual device than risk. IUDs can run around $800 if you buy them yourself. I can't find pricing info for Implanon but I'm guessing it's probably also pretty pricey especially since it's hormonal and still under the drug company patent. Then you also have to take into account that some of that might be charging for the doctor or nurse's time, any medications they might administer (like local anesthetic), sterilizing the instruments, etc.

And I don't know if I'd consider an IUD really any more invasive (medically speaking anyway). You're just placing something in a preexisting body cavity through the vagina and cervix. With Implanon it's actually considered more of a minor surgical procedure since you actually have to break the skin and kind of create a pocket for the implant. It also has its own risks, since there are lots of nerves and blood vessels deeper in the tissue that can be damaged if the insertion isn't done correctly.

I understand every point that you have made, but seriously, if this didn't have something to do with patents and the absolute male authority to tell us what to do with our lady-bits, there wouldn't even be any comparison between a very simple shot of anesthetic and a replacement of a matchstick on my arm (that lasts 3 whole years, no foolin'!), and having you act like an embarassed teen, spread your legs, be violated by a huge metal opposite BBQ tongs(probably paying for a pelvic before-hand) and letting someone shove an IUD into your Cervix.

It absolute freaks me out that the cervix is a preexisting cavity, (i've had surgery there. that was the worse pain I've ever felt in my life, and I've unfortunately made a babbie, {not by choice,})' but cutting a millimeter under my skin in my arm is "real" surgery?

This world is messeeeeeeed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

DoggPickle posted:

I understand every point that you have made, but seriously, if this didn't have something to do with patents and the absolute male authority to tell us what to do with our lady-bits, there wouldn't even be any comparison between a very simple shot of anesthetic and a replacement of a matchstick on my arm (that lasts 3 whole years, no foolin'!), and having you act like an embarassed teen, spread your legs, be violated by a huge metal opposite BBQ tongs(probably paying for a pelvic before-hand) and letting someone shove an IUD into your Cervix.

Different people need different types of birth control. I don't think it's patriarchy keeping us all down.

• Locked thread