Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Ajax posted:

Hey WarLocke, did you ever end up doing this? How did it work out if so?
My memory is slightly fuzzy on it, but I seem to recall just copying my client between two harddrives (installed on my smaller OS disk by accident) and it still working afterwards. It is fairly common these days for MMO clients not not require registry shennanigans (or at least for the launcher to be smart enough about setting them up on start if absent), so considering the difference between a copy and a download is several hours at best, I'd definitely try it.

The client was resilient enough that it still worked, after I upgraded the OS from 32 bit to 64 bit on the OS drive, which included a complete wipe of the partition (the data drive is just a basic NTFS formatted partition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I have a merc, op and sorc healer all at 55.

....merc healing stuff...

I also really really miss my pew-pew healing when I'm not on my merc. Sometime's, particularly on my sorc, I'll have downtime where I'm not doing anything but waiting for cooldowns or energy regen, but on my merc I'm shooting out heals constantly.

I personally find sorc healing really boring and merc healing the most interesting. I definitely think merc healing is the most challenging and it's far easier to be a bad merc healer than a bad sorc healer.

Holy moley, are you me? That's literally exactly how I feel playing my 3 healers...I love the Merc because in a good flashpoint group, you can keep the group alive with Kolto Cloud and actually DPS, with my Scoundrel I'm clicking back and forth and rarely able to DPS.

Though I do love healing in PVP with my Scoundrel, you never stop moving. :)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Medullah posted:

Is there some new Shadow Tank/DPS hybrid FOTM? Just did a Hard Mode Hammer Station and noticed the Shadow DPS was in tank stance. We mentioned a few times he needed to switch to a DPS stance or he was going to draw aggro from the actual tank, and when he didn't reply we vote kicked him. Next DPS in the queue was ALSO a Shadow, in tank stance. He at least switched to a DPS stance, but all his gear was +defense/+shield. The weird thing was the 2nd one was using Voltaic Slash (or whatever the shadow equivalent is), so I know he was spec'd as middle tree, but was in all tank gear...did I just get unlucky twice in a row?

That's really, really strange because in no way shape or form does tank stance help your DPS. My guess is that you were (un)lucky enough to run into two guys trying an off spec who didn't think it through.

e: I think I've figured out Bioware's gearing scheme. If you want optimum stats, you have to get all the set pieces AND a good chunk of the comm gear. Example: Tank Arkanian hands have the "wrong" stats, the comm gear has the "right" stats, so you have to get both and swap things out. It's a hassle, but the set bonuses are so nice that it might just be worth it.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 9, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

In terms of DPS/Healing gear, set piece gear will at least have the right stat proportions (low endurance Enhancements, high Power/Crit mods), even if sometimes they have stats you don't want. Comms gear generally has good mods but bad enhancements, and Verp/BM gear that drops from FPs/Ops have good enhancements and bad mods.

Tank gear is a bit weird because comms gear have terrible enhancements and decent mods (B) but not the mods that I prefer (unlettered), but then again tanking stats are a lot more fluid than DPS/Healing gear because different tanks have different preferences for mitigation vs endurance, etc.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Since I don't have my weekly "D&D at our favorite bar and drop a shitload of cash on booze since the DM is broke as hell and trades XP for beer" session due to schedule changes at work, I dropped a bunch of cash on the Cartel Market. Got one of those contraband pack packs and got a couple nifty things, but there's an infuriating bug where a lot of the stuff I got didnt unlock in the Collections thingy. Primeval Sniper Rifle and that Cannon with the holosight or whatever mostly, the rest was pretty much trash. Got the Primeval Blaster to dualwield for my Merc which looks pretty awesome. Still, regreat spending the cash but eh :v:. Anyway I've got about 4 grand left to play around with so I think I'll transfer my 2 50+ siths over to JC and get in Thats No Goon for good times. Anyone know how long transfers take?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemaster posted:

Since I don't have my weekly "D&D at our favorite bar and drop a shitload of cash on booze since the DM is broke as hell and trades XP for beer" session due to schedule changes at work, I dropped a bunch of cash on the Cartel Market. Got one of those contraband pack packs and got a couple nifty things, but there's an infuriating bug where a lot of the stuff I got didnt unlock in the Collections thingy. Primeval Sniper Rifle and that Cannon with the holosight or whatever mostly, the rest was pretty much trash. Got the Primeval Blaster to dualwield for my Merc which looks pretty awesome. Still, regreat spending the cash but eh :v:. Anyway I've got about 4 grand left to play around with so I think I'll transfer my 2 50+ siths over to JC and get in Thats No Goon for good times. Anyone know how long transfers take?
You have to bind things to your character to make them appear in your Collection. So if you get a thing that you can't equip on that character, then you can't bind it, and can't add it to your Collection accordingly.

Also transfers should take all of the time it takes for your web browser to finish acknowledging that you've initiated the transfer.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

You have to bind things to your character to make them appear in your Collection. So if you get a thing that you can't equip on that character, then you can't bind it, and can't add it to your Collection accordingly.

Also transfers should take all of the time it takes for your web browser to finish acknowledging that you've initiated the transfer.

Well drat. I deleted them thinking that they would be in my collection. :sigh: I guess I'll try my luck and put in a ticket to see if I can get 'em back. Not likely but it's just a gun model or two so :shrug:.

Great about the transfers though. I'll probably have my Assassin and Juggernaut over to JC by 5pm EST at the latest today. Then I get to take part in some goony goodness. :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leveling through this game again, the Heroic quests are really well done. They are easy to get to, easy to understand, add some challenge and let you group with people. They kind of overlap with FPs though. I don't really see the nice of FPs with increased EXP. I guess better gear but you level so fast anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Regarding <Goon Squad> on JC Rep, I just had to turn away a goon because I was the only member online and didn't have invite ability. Considering the lack of Rep-side goons in the first place, why can't anyone invite?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone invite Mstroika to the rep guild on JC?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

WarLocke posted:

Regarding <Goon Squad> on JC Rep, I just had to turn away a goon because I was the only member online and didn't have invite ability. Considering the lack of Rep-side goons in the first place, why can't anyone invite?

Hey so that was you :v:

quote:

This service is currently unavailable for this account. If you wish to purchase more cartel coins please call our Customer Service team or you can try again tomorrow.

Why the gently caress can't I ever pay for anything with my credit card on that stupid site ?! I can use it in literally ever other MMO ever. I have to buy gametime through origin because that works for some reason.

I just want to transfer my ex-maiiiin and I miss like 200 cc :smith:

E : VVV Ugh how annoying is that ? I've got no convenient way to contact them by phone. This is really dumb.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2013

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

Hey so that way you :v:

Why the gently caress can't I ever pay for anything with my credit card on that stupid site ?! I can use it in literally ever other MMO ever. I have to buy gametime through origin because that works for some reason.

I just want to transfer my ex-maiiiin and I miss like 200 cc :smith:
You actually need to contact their Customer Service through phone. They've got a hold on your account or something and won't let you buy anything with your CC.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

kmzh posted:

In terms of DPS/Healing gear, set piece gear will at least have the right stat proportions (low endurance Enhancements, high Power/Crit mods), even if sometimes they have stats you don't want. Comms gear generally has good mods but bad enhancements, and Verp/BM gear that drops from FPs/Ops have good enhancements and bad mods.

Tank gear is a bit weird because comms gear have terrible enhancements and decent mods (B) but not the mods that I prefer (unlettered), but then again tanking stats are a lot more fluid than DPS/Healing gear because different tanks have different preferences for mitigation vs endurance, etc.

For Shadow/Sin, it varies. For example the Arkanian hands have +Accuracy, which is an extremely low priority stat, and +Defense, which is slightly higher priority. Compare to the Comm hands, which have +Shield/Absorb which are tied for #1 highest priority.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
-

Annakie fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 10, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Goon Squad used to be really cliquey and stupid.

I guess either Nipponophile can't promote people/change permissions, or didn't think of it though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I honestly have no idea whether I can change permissions or what. I'll be on tonight from around 7-10 Central, and I'll see if we can set up more inviters. I personally don't have any problems with everyone being able to invite, but I'm not the GM.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Well turns out I spent some of those cartel bux on inventory modules, so Im only moving one character over for the time being.

Any officers from That's No Goon please add Kinomer to your list of fodder to throw in the grinder. :black101:

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Annakie posted:

Cybertech or Biochem (or artifice if you're a Jedi/Sith) should be your first considerations always.

What biochem items are you finding success with? I don't seem to have found the right niche yet. I was doing well with cyber tech until the market was flooded with people making the advanced 28 mods and armors and selling then near cost. I make a little cash now with a microfilament ear piece, but they don't sell very quickly. My best sales these days seem to be the advanced 28 resolve augments from my synthweaver, but my only profit is on crits since, again, they sell for cost on my server.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stan S. Stanman posted:

What biochem items are you finding success with? I don't seem to have found the right niche yet. I was doing well with cyber tech until the market was flooded with people making the advanced 28 mods and armors and selling then near cost. I make a little cash now with a microfilament ear piece, but they don't sell very quickly. My best sales these days seem to be the advanced 28 resolve augments from my synthweaver, but my only profit is on crits since, again, they sell for cost on my server.

Sell lower level (20-40) mods and armorings. That's where the real money is - people leveling alts. No one really needs the grade 28 purples since you can buy them with comms, and 69s drop in 55 Hard Modes. But for my fresh new character, I'm going to want to gear him as best I can. Plus the metals are rarer than high level ones anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Since we're doing crafting chat, I'm thinking I might change things up on my sage. Right now she is Synthweaving/Archaeology/Underworld Trading but it's really just been a credit sink. Synthweaving doesn't seem to offer anything unique other than orange shells, and with Collections now those are a lot easier to get a hold of. And I'm not a trader mogul, I don't have the patience to make stuff to flip on the GTN and constantly check that I'm not being undercut, etc etc.

I think I'm either going to switch to Artificing (lets me keep my skill in Archaeology and provide hilts/enhancements for alts) or just go into 'gently caress it get paid' mode and drop everything for Slicing and whatever else (probably at least 1 mission skill so I can get gifts).

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
If you want to do "Just give me money from gathering" be sure to get scavenging. The metals needed for both Cybertech and Armstech come from Scavenging. I only have one scavenger right now and three characters who need scavenged items and it's really frustrating.

I haven't actually made money on my Biochem yet, she's not quite 450. But yeah, for whatever you do now, there's a little money in grade 28's but not a lot. The real money is in selling items to people who are leveling. On a blue mod, armoring or enhancement that probably costs 1 to 5k in mats to make, I can normally sell it for 15 to 25. Purples I can usually sell for 40k.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
All this talk about fun merc healing is making me seriously consider respeccing and giving it a shot later tonight. I've got mostly 69s so hopefully I'd be able to figure it out while doing a 50 HM or something easy.

Skrills
Jun 16, 2011
What server are you all on? Just resubbed and found myself marooned on Pot5.

Willing to transfer at this point.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Posting for an invite for my Jedi Shadow, Suex.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Skrills posted:

What server are you all on? Just resubbed and found myself marooned on Pot5.

Willing to transfer at this point.

AFAIK most goons are on Jedi Covenant now. The Imperial guild (That's No Goon) is the more active one, although the Republic one (Goon Squad) is having a little resurgence lately.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's probably not a great situation if the rep side Goon Squad guild leader is absent though, who is it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

It's probably not a great situation if the rep side Goon Squad guild leader is absent though, who is it?

Place Ad Here.

He hasn't posted in about 3 weeks.

Edit: Apparently he still logs in the game though, so it should be no problem getting things sorted out.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 10, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I talked to him last night, he's still very much around. We just need to figure out what's going to happen with Goon Squad and straighten it out. Don't worry, things will shake out.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Wow these seeker droid quest sure are awful.

Skrills
Jun 16, 2011

WarLocke posted:

AFAIK most goons are on Jedi Covenant now. The Imperial guild (That's No Goon) is the more active one, although the Republic one (Goon Squad) is having a little resurgence lately.

Just transfered over my 50 Commando to JC.
Requesting invite for Suuckpatrol.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hey, crafting question: For stuff that starts out blue (like yellow color crystals), is there only one upgrade (to purple), or is there another past that like the 'normal' ones (which go green -> blue -> purple)?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Just one.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Kaysette posted:

All this talk about fun merc healing is making me seriously consider respeccing and giving it a shot later tonight. I've got mostly 69s so hopefully I'd be able to figure it out while doing a 50 HM or something easy.

Do it, do it! With 69's you'll be overgeared for a 50 HM so you shouldn't have any problems.

Steps for Merc Healing
- Ensure you've got 30 stacks of supercharged gas at the start of each fight, just in case things go badly at the beginning.
- Put Kolto Shell on the tank.
- Always keep pew-pew free healing to keep your stacks up if you aren't doing any other healing.
- Healing Scan is your friend, but it has a long cooldown. However it also reduces the cost of Rapid Scan, so if you can always do Healing Scan before Rapid Scan.
- When you need a lot of healing fast, pop your supercharged gas, then chuck down Kolto Missile. This will give everyone you hit a damage reduction buff, then just churn out Healing Scan after Healing Scan until the no-cooldown timer runs out.
- Chuck out a Kolto Missile at least once every 6 GCD's. This will give targets a bonus to healing received.
- If things are really bad hit your Emergency Scan. It's your top tree talent that is a big free heal. You also have a talent that will make your next ability generate no heat, if your heat is too high and Vent Heat is on cooldown.
- Total last resort, when the whole group is taking a lot of damage, including you, at approx 40% health hit your Kolto Overload.
- Accept everyone's thanks for being a kick rear end healer

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Bogarts posted:

Wow these seeker droid quest sure are awful.

Boycott?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

GhostBoy posted:

My memory is slightly fuzzy on it, but I seem to recall just copying my client between two harddrives (installed on my smaller OS disk by accident) and it still working afterwards. It is fairly common these days for MMO clients not not require registry shennanigans (or at least for the launcher to be smart enough about setting them up on start if absent), so considering the difference between a copy and a download is several hours at best, I'd definitely try it.

The client was resilient enough that it still worked, after I upgraded the OS from 32 bit to 64 bit on the OS drive, which included a complete wipe of the partition (the data drive is just a basic NTFS formatted partition).

I'm currently moving just the game from a secondary HDD to a new SSD, so I'll check in if I have any issues.

edit: none whatsoever, runs straight away, no extra steps at all.

Ajax fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 10, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Place Ad Here.

He hasn't posted in about 3 weeks.

Edit: Apparently he still logs in the game though, so it should be no problem getting things sorted out.

He should be on Wed at 8:30 edt. Everyone else with a 55 on imp JC should get on to raid then.

Unlike Monday's raid time I'll be there too! (I thought I'd posted in the TNG forum but I was flying home from the west coast at the time :/)

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I sell blue stims with my biochem, if you can get your own medical supplies with Diplomacy or buy them cheap on the GTN, you can make a decent amount, I average ~10k profit per stim on the fortitude ones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Artifice is like 1700% better than Synthweaving, what with only the offhand focii having the bullshit 1 green -> 3 blue -> 12 purple progression. I started leveling it from scratch earlier tonight and am at 125 or something (not going as fast as I could be because I'm REing stuff up to purple, still on rank 1-2 stuff so it's cheap as hell for me at 54).

I think I've just about finished Consular Act 3, I completed Corellia and have to return to Coruscant now. I still don't see why people hate on the story, it was pretty badass leading my hodge-podge army against Imperials and uncovering a network of Sith sleeper agents throughout the Republic. The only part that could remotely be called boring was the first act, since it's just "go to 4 planets and do thing" but that happens in at least a few other class stories almost identically anyway (I can personally confirm Trooper and Sith Warrior have the exact same flow).

Of course now I've completed the '1,000 kils with companion' achievements for Qyzen, Nadia, and Zenith, so the last quarter of Corellia was a bit of a slog since Tharan doesn't output much DPS. Also because most of my companions have poo poo gear since as soon as I made 50 I started always taking planetary commendation rewards for Makeb mods for myself. :getin:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Artifice is like 1700% better than Synthweaving, what with only the offhand focii having the bullshit 1 green -> 3 blue -> 12 purple progression. I started leveling it from scratch earlier tonight and am at 125 or something (not going as fast as I could be because I'm REing stuff up to purple, still on rank 1-2 stuff so it's cheap as hell for me at 54).

I think I've just about finished Consular Act 3, I completed Corellia and have to return to Coruscant now. I still don't see why people hate on the story, it was pretty badass leading my hodge-podge army against Imperials and uncovering a network of Sith sleeper agents throughout the Republic. The only part that could remotely be called boring was the first act, since it's just "go to 4 planets and do thing" but that happens in at least a few other class stories almost identically anyway (I can personally confirm Trooper and Sith Warrior have the exact same flow).

Of course now I've completed the '1,000 kils with companion' achievements for Qyzen, Nadia, and Zenith, so the last quarter of Corellia was a bit of a slog since Tharan doesn't output much DPS. Also because most of my companions have poo poo gear since as soon as I made 50 I started always taking planetary commendation rewards for Makeb mods for myself. :getin:

Most of the grousing for Consular is for Act 1. The go here, heal dude, get 'weaker' story had no weight to it. Act 2 and 3 are decidedly better. At least the Knight had you hunting superweapons, which is pretty much Star Wars 101. Trooper got me personally invested with the solid dicking I got in the prologue, and Smuggler is... eh. I haven't played much Smuggler yet. Warrior was full of douchebaggery, and the scene on Tatooine at the oasis is still one of my favorites. Inquisitor similarly reconciles the 'go to 4 planets and get things' with interesting flavor at each one. Agent is you playing secret police each and every time, meeting Watcher X, etc etc. About the only Act 1 that I think follows the same formula beat for beat is Bounty Hunter, and I wasn't a huge fan of Bounty Hunter either.

tl;dr, the Consular act 1 is just bland. Sure, the others flow the same way, but they have things to make them interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I only just finished Act 1 on my Bounty Hunter and I kind of liked it, especially How you can completely gently caress Taro Blood over by just leaving him in his cell.

• Locked thread