Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

madadric posted:

Ring My Bell
When you swing your mighty hammer at your foe, on a 10+, Things get ...awkward.

I do not miss the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Honestly? You can get by just dandy having your only intelligent enemies be boss and miniboss types. I had very few actually intelligent mooks in my own game, and it's been going reasonably well. I think Dungeon World can do fine without treating saptients like weed to be mowed down. You can make them bandits and the like, I suppose, if it comes to that. People whose crimes would've had them executed anyway. Or slavers. Those're always good for being less sympathetic.

In a wild west setting, it's a bit hard to avoid very human bandits popping up all over the place.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Handgun Phonics posted:

I think I have a problem with making my mooks too sympathetic. I'm not quite sure how to make something good and evil that's going to die horribly when they kill it, when that thing is another person with a weapon.

I've actually encountered this problem before. Apparently my goblins are too adorable and human (albeit evil little backstabbing humans) so every once in a while my players will simply refuse to kill them, unless the goblins provoke them first. At that point I find it's best to simply shift gears. You may have thought that the players were going into a combat encounter, but the players thought that the NPCs were too sympathetic to kill, so let's try a bit of parley. Maybe there's a bigger bad that the mooks are afraid of that needs sorting out, something even more evil that's behind it all, and the NPCs need help with it? Dungeon World is absolutely great for shifting gears like this all of a sudden.

Also, if experience with my group shows anything, the best way to get a lot of good hacking and slashing into the game is to start with diplomatic negotiations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, players'll often surprise you--and Dungeon World's about giving you the tools to improvise and run with what they're doing. If they decide to negotiate? Determine if the other party's willing to negotiate. I suggest running with it or, if you aren't sure, having them roll to Parley. If yes, then run with the consequences of that. What might they want? Look at the principles, agendas, and moves.

I find myself thinking of one dungeon in my game where the players ended up completely avoiding combat the whole way through. There were several opportunities for combat, and for assorted reasons they decided on alternative solutions involving negotiation or guile and trickery. It still led to an interesting game, particularly since the deal they cut meant having to go out to fetch an item which led to its own adventure.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
I've had a couple of fantastic sessions recently that make me wish I was a better writer so I could express just how fun they were.

In short my PC's released an ancient evil, ran away instead of fighting it, then on realising the world was literally falling apart have been hunting down an ancient mountain sized Golem Guardian to fight what they have released. So after a series of mishaps and betrayals they get to where it should be, only to find that it has been stolen and adapted by a warlike race. After a series of bloody and disturbing battles (seriously the players came up with some excellently grim stuff involving magnets, fire spirits and electric weaponry) they have recaptured it. Last session I gave them control of the Golem (I split its actions between 3 players, the fighter controls the fists. The thief the legs and balance and the wizard controls the magical energy flow) and they fought hugely mutated human flesh beasts and giant owls.

I've given up going into detail planning the next sessions. I have some base enemy stats, a list of names and my imagination. It's brilliant.

Next session I'm making them fight a god and flood of dimension eating beasties.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
So I'm having a bit of trouble with the Druid. Lemon Curdistan wrote an excellent post 40 pages ago on the Shapeshifting move and how it works, which I found really helpful, but I still have some concerns that the Shapeshifting move is too strong.

Basically it feels like a strictly better Hack & Slash. Consider: I am fighting a bunch of zombies. I can hack & slash normally, which is dangerous because I'm squishy and rolling anything below a 10 will mean I get hurt or otherwise attacked somehow. Alternatively, I can shapeshift into a gorilla. Let's say I roll a 7 on my shapeshifting move, the effect of which is "gain 2 hold" - no other negative effects. If I roll a 6- I get a hold "in addition to whatever the GM says", which implies that the GM can make a move against me, but with a 7 I'm theoretically in the clear. A gorilla move could be "smash them into the ground". If that doesn't do damage, I don't know what does. So I can spend a hold to smash a zombie into the ground without rolling - it would go against the move for the GM to cause me to defy danger for that, since I already made my shapeshifting roll and I get to make a monster move with that roll. Then I can spend my other hold to do it again. I've just dealt with two enemies by making a below average roll with my primary stat and I haven't been exposed to danger during it. At what point in this process does the danger come in? I think this is how it works rules-as-written, so I'm trying to figure out some kind of houserule that balances the ability out a bit, but I'd like to hear how other people have dealt with it (or if I'm reading it wrong)

vvv because then you're just turning into an animal and making moves as normal in the fiction, so what is the hold for?

Boing fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 5, 2013

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Why can't you make them defy danger to use said gorilla move, and why can't "smash them into the ground" involve a roll?
If a zombie is about to gnaw off your arms, that sounds like plenty of danger to defy, especially if there's a lot more zombies around.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The "without rolling" in this case is for doing exactly what the animal move says. It doesn't suddenly cancel out every other roll that might happen in the process; you can still make them Defy Danger, it's just that the zombie will always be slammed into the ground (you're not allowed to make a consequence of the failed DD roll "the zombie isn't slammed into the ground").

If the fiction says they're in a position where they'd have to Defy Danger or suffer consequences while slamming the zombie into the ground, that happens, because the fiction always comes first.

Likewise, don't forget that if the fiction says they take damage or lose something or any other negative consequence, they take damage etc. because the fiction always comes first.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 5, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's missing Drive names and one Background, but here's my version of the City Thief, soon to be completed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15337665/The%20City%20Thief.pdf

It's 10/9 advances because I couldn't fit a tenth 6-10 move and couldn't be bothered to fight to cut some text out of other moves. Let me know if you spot any typos, and I'll finish it later this weekend.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's missing Drive names and one Background, but here's my version of the City Thief, soon to be completed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15337665/The%20City%20Thief.pdf

It's 10/9 advances because I couldn't fit a tenth 6-10 move and couldn't be bothered to fight to cut some text out of other moves. Let me know if you spot any typos, and I'll finish it later this weekend.

If you really wnated to squeeze in another 6-10, you could bump connection up to starting, move Escape Route to 5-10, and then put any extra moves you have into 6-10. But only if you actually have extra moves that you had to leave off.

Really, it's not a huge issue though, so looks good!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

madadric posted:

If you really wnated to squeeze in another 6-10, you could bump connection up to starting, move Escape Route to 5-10, and then put any extra moves you have into 6-10. But only if you actually have extra moves that you had to leave off.

Really, it's not a huge issue though, so looks good!

Actually, it turns out I'm dumb and can't count.

Here is the final version of the City Thief: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15337665/The%20City%20Thief.pdf

I'm working on getting another CC together for this before it sells, so it's not going off to Mikan just yet - if anyone sees any typos, please let me know.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
This looks like an amazing system! The moment my current 4e campaign ends I'm so switching my players to Dungeon World.

Right now I'm trying to get my head around how Parley works. Is the only difference between the 10+ and 7-9 results that you can welsh on your side of the deal once they've held up their end?

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I thought the 7-9 meant that your parlay would succeed... but you either might not get EVERYTHING you wanted, or they might require something a little more in return for it. Or, more succinctly, it works with minor complications.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
The halfling gladiator at my table is hoping that the frost dragon blood coursing through his veins is enough to counteract the infected werewolf bite he just got. He bit the werewolf back, so they're bros now.

Also, he has a lightsaber peg leg, because he cut off his leg with a lightsaber that some cloned beholders gave him when he went to the moon.

DUNGEON WORLD 4 EVA

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
For Parley, I think the important thing is that on a 10+ the other party trusts you to do what you promised if they do what they promised, while on a 7+ they need proof right now that you're on the level (whether that's putting on their holy symbol, turning over a down payment, or stabbing one of their prisoners).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Flavivirus posted:

For Parley, I think the important thing is that on a 10+ the other party trusts you to do what you promised if they do what they promised, while on a 7+ they need proof right now that you're on the level (whether that's putting on their holy symbol, turning over a down payment, or stabbing one of their prisoners).

Right -- so if what they want is 'hand over that McGuffin' and you already have it, there's no difference between a 10 and a 7-9, right? It's only if you're promising to go do something for them later that it's a thing.

angramainyu
Jun 4, 2013

Whybird posted:

Right -- so if what they want is 'hand over that McGuffin' and you already have it, there's no difference between a 10 and a 7-9, right? It's only if you're promising to go do something for them later that it's a thing.

In coming from D&D-type systems, the big mindset shift seems (to me, at least) to be this:

D&D is about success and failure, you try to do something (if the rules allow it) and do it, or nothing happens.

DW is about advancing the stories around the characters. If they want to do something, the either just do it (if there's no interesting cost to failure) or try to do it, and either succeed or make something interesting happen.

The answer "No, you fail, nothing happens" doesn't happen in DW, and the moves players rolls for are all about them doing cool stuff (10+ rolls), failing in ways that puts them into tight spots (6 or less rolls), or both (the 7-9 results).

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Whybird posted:

Depends how it shakes out, really. It could be that on a 10+ they convince the other group they will certainly give them the macguffin, but right now they need to use it to seal away the evil lich and so will have to hand it over later. Hell, that could be a 7+ agreement so long as you leave something (or someone) else behind as collateral or let the other group's best warriors come with you to fight the lich.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Whybird posted:

Right now I'm trying to get my head around how Parley works. Is the only difference between the 10+ and 7-9 results that you can welsh on your side of the deal once they've held up their end?

It's exactly what it says in the move.

On a 10+, they just require a promise from you to do what you ask. On a 7-9, they need concrete proof.

If you provide what they require (either a promise or concrete proof) then they help you. If not, they don't.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Do you have good examples of concrete proof? My group has gotten pretty good at improvising and being creative, but parley 7-9's always end up being stumpers or boring "I swear it in the name of my ancestors"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Do you have good examples of concrete proof? My group has gotten pretty good at improvising and being creative, but parley 7-9's always end up being stumpers or boring "I swear it in the name of my ancestors"

Parley is always a barter - you're exchanging something they have for something they want. Without that, it's not Parley, it's just you asking for a favour.

The question is, what do they want? Is it money? Then concrete proof is going to be a downpayment. Is it a favour? Then they'll probably want you to do the favour upfront, or conclusively prove that you're not going to back out of your end of the deal.

Keep in mind that "give concrete proof" doesn't have to mean "physically hand them an item," it can also mean agreeing to being followed by one of their agents until you've done your part, for example.

cymbaljack
Mar 24, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Parley is always a barter - you're exchanging something they have for something they want. Without that, it's not Parley, it's just you asking for a favour.

The question is, what do they want? Is it money? Then concrete proof is going to be a downpayment. Is it a favour? Then they'll probably want you to do the favour upfront, or conclusively prove that you're not going to back out of your end of the deal.

Keep in mind that "give concrete proof" doesn't have to mean "physically hand them an item," it can also mean agreeing to being followed by one of their agents until you've done your part, for example.

But in my view, that concrete proof means DOING something (or allowing something to be done) not just SAYING SOMETHING.

So parley, acceptable terms, 7-9 result, might mean:
"Half now, half on delivery"
"OK, but the elf stays with us, as...insurance."
"Prove that you even CAN kill a ghoul. Bring me a ghoul head, and we have a deal."
"Show me the ritual written down, so I know it's within your ability."
"You leave the payment with a neutral party until the deal is done."
"You can get us pardoned? Great. Show me a written invitation from the Lord Mayor, and I'll believe it."

To me, this is part of the fun of the game: it keeps asking the GM to be creative, but within defined boundaries. I just try to think like the NPC in question. What would they accept as concrete proof of a promise?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Realistic question for those running this or playing this...how often do your players use the class moves in relation to just doing mostly defy danger/base moves using the general die mechanic? How much is coming up with shared fiction/quick gameplay using the most basic rolls without specific class things tied in?

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
In the couple games I've been in, that depends on what the class is. Stuff like the Fighter are gonna be mostly hack-and-slashing, but anything remotely magical or skill based will get a lot more play out of their specialties. Defy danger seems to average about half to a third of the rolls, though, due to how many functions it serves.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Defy Danger's easily the most used move, yeah, given how general-purpose it's. Everything that doesn't fall under a more specific move falls under Defy Danger, practically speaking. And base moves're base moves for a reason--they're the core ones you'll get a lot of mileage out of. This is pretty much true in any game using the Apocalypse World engine. The playbook moves exist more to let you do awesome niche stuff, or to enhance the base moves in nifty ways.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You could easily play the game without any playbooks at all, that's how robust the basic moves are.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

TheDemon posted:

You could easily play the game without any playbooks at all, that's how robust the basic moves are.
Yeah. Thus playbooks mostly serve to lend individual flavor rather than core functionality.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenarisk posted:

Realistic question for those running this or playing this...how often do your players use the class moves in relation to just doing mostly defy danger/base moves using the general die mechanic? How much is coming up with shared fiction/quick gameplay using the most basic rolls without specific class things tied in?

Going by what other people said, you could well play the game with nothing but the basic moves, but one of the GM moves is "offer an opportunity that fits a class's abilities" and it's there for a reason: everyone likes to have their spotlight time, you know? The fighter breaks things and does weapon tricks, the paladin heals people and Is The Law, the rogue searches for traps and backstabs. It really depends on the adventure, the class, and what needs to be done.

I will say that most of the really memorable moments from the sessions I've run involve players using their class moves in some way, rather than a basic move.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The reason I ask is that while working on a *world hack based more on dungeon world than apoc world, I really wonder just how many custom/playbook moves are needed. In my games I really see people using maybe 3-5 moves apart from the basic moves, and wonder if offering a total of 10 tops would be just fine (3 starting, 7 advanced).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fenarisk posted:

The reason I ask is that while working on a *world hack based more on dungeon world than apoc world, I really wonder just how many custom/playbook moves are needed. In my games I really see people using maybe 3-5 moves apart from the basic moves, and wonder if offering a total of 10 tops would be just fine (3 starting, 7 advanced).

Apocalypse World playbooks have between 2 and 8 moves on them, total, and half of them are usually just stat replacement moves. Monster Hearts has around 10, Tremulus around 7-9. Having less moves is absolutely an option - Dungeon World has so many moves mostly because it's based on D&D, where lots of character advancement is an assumed truth. DW has by far the most complicated playbooks of any *World engine game.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, Dungeon World's sorta a weird mishmash of D&Disms and *World stuff. As such, it's unlike other hacks in a number of ways, including its advancement options.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Having said that, levelling up in Dungeon World does feel great, especially if you've got a cool playbook

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm running Dungeon World "properly" (ie, without a prepared scenario) for the first time tomorrow night. We did that Slave Pits one a little while back and it just sold the whole group on the game, which is awesome because it was a heap of fun running it.

My prep so far has been to print playbooks and draw about three quarters of a dungeon map. I'm thinking "it was peaceful until two weeks ago, and now there's goblins all over the place" is how I'm going to kick it off, and then ask why what the goblins are doing, why the PCs care about it, and if any of them have any idea where the little bastards sprang from.

Does that sound like enough prep for a group that regularly plays Fiasco and Everyone Is John (and D&D) and is generally pretty good at coming up with cool things?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

AlphaDog posted:

I'm running Dungeon World "properly" (ie, without a prepared scenario) for the first time tomorrow night. We did that Slave Pits one a little while back and it just sold the whole group on the game, which is awesome because it was a heap of fun running it.

My prep so far has been to print playbooks and draw about three quarters of a dungeon map. I'm thinking "it was peaceful until two weeks ago, and now there's goblins all over the place" is how I'm going to kick it off, and then ask why what the goblins are doing, why the PCs care about it, and if any of them have any idea where the little bastards sprang from.

Does that sound like enough prep for a group that regularly plays Fiasco and Everyone Is John (and D&D) and is generally pretty good at coming up with cool things?

Sure does!

Look for an in media res start, ask what mischief the goblins are up to now? How has it gotten the players into trouble?

If you want to play the whole mischief and chaos angle, watch gremlins before the game to get a sense for the sort of mayhem a horde of tricksy gobbos could unleash on a town.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been starting campaigns like that since the mid 90s, to avoid the whole sitting in a tavern thing. I got the idea from the opening of Conan The Destroyer of all things. I know it's cheesy, but the first 2 minutes after the credits just sets the characters and world up so perfectly.

(Conan is meditating on his sword, Malak is counting loot. Some dudes ride up, looking all evil and poo poo)

Malak: "I think we made the merchant angry."

Conan: "Are you surprised?"

Malak: "Well we didn't steal everything he had."

Conan: "We didn't have time."

(Malak hides and swallows the loot. Conan chops a guy and then pulls two dudes off their horses at once.)

Malak: "Why aren't they trying to kill us?"

Conan: (In a matter-of-fact tone) "Maybe they want to capture us, and torture us to death."

(Malak leaps out at a dude and stabs him repeatedly in the kidneys. Conan chops a net, then a dude, then punches a horse out.)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 10, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

This isn't strictly Dungeon World related, but it's something I've been toying with for awhile and I'd love some eyes on it/ideas if it's viable.

Eclipse Phase - Dungeon World Hack

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-otxuCJgNA8LcL-beoW0CTpC77TNjKJAlZhVHs1eEt0/edit?usp=sharing

It's a very bare bones design document, but I'm looking to start with a solid character sheet/abilities. The idea now is characters build their own playbook from Archetype Groups, and no player can pick the same move as someone else has. Morphs are there to add some tags and bonuses to abilities/durability.

Any feedback on the (very bare bones) beginning of this is appreciated.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just ran our first real session of Dungeon World. It went better than I could have ever expected.

The players made characters - Rhubarb the halfling bear druid, Bjorn (again) the Dwarf Cleric, and Yamamed the halfing thief.

I used the setup I described above - "Two weeks ago, it was peaceful in this town. Since then, there have been goblins everywhere, causing trouble."

I then began to ask questions.

What have they been doing?
Stealing stuff, but only important stuff and food.

Where did they come from?
Underground, but nobody's sure where.

Then the players asked me some questions, which I just turned straight back on them.

How big's the town?
Small, a sheep farming community.

What's it's name?
Hyneckin

What did the goblins steal?
The Sacred Ale of Ghrizig of the Stones (the cleric's god).

Why is the ale important?
It must be quaffed before the Ritual Brawl (benediction "what are you looking at?") that heralds the coming of winter and the rememberance of the downtrodden, according to the sacred laws and statutes.

Did you say statues?
No, I said statutes. Ancient statutes. But statues too. The sacred statutes are carved on the sacred statues. On their beards. The laws are carved onto their beer bellies.

So... with that serious discussion out of the way, the game starts for real.

Where are you and what are you doing?
We're in the tavern.

Really? What are you doing there? (I couldn't loving believe they went for this, but...)
We're in the cellar. Looking at the spaces where the kegs, as well as the Sacred Keg, should be. And a tunnel. The tunnels wasn't there yesterday, but the kegs were.

They track the goblins to an old chalk pit, and then down under a hollow tree into a system of well-cut stone rooms. The dwarf fails Spout Lore, and knows that these were caved by dwarves hundreds of years ago, and were once a rich gemstone mine (not true at all). They fight some goblins, and it's pretty cool. The goblins have curved, bronze knives. The thief Spouts Lore, and decides to state that goblins only use weapons that they've looted, which is usually rusty farm implements and knives. These are different. The dwarf communes with the stone spirits and asks questions three. He fucks this up, even though he passes the roll.

"What did the dwarves find here that caused them to leave?"
"There were no dwarves here" (I was impressed - a dude who's usually a bit of a min/max type chose to waste a question based on an earlier failed roll)

"Where did the goblins take my Sacred Keg?"
"Further down" (he's pissed now, he was expecting exposition, but what was I really going to answer here?)

"What are these strange bronze knives that the goblins have?"
"In aeons past, they were used to tap the kegs that slaked He Who Thirsts Below". (I pulled that out of thin air based on the fairly ridiculous idea of a keg of sacred ale being the macguffin, and it was a huge hit - they're worried now, the Sacred Keg isn't going to be sold, it's going to be drunk. Soon.)

While this is going on, they've been hearing huge footsteps below, shaking the room and getting gradually louder. The dwarf goes to cast his Magic weapon spell and fails, so they're ambushed by some goblins who've snuck up behind them while they were distracted. The finish them off easily.

The rogue goes to investigate, but has the choice of "see what's happening and expose yourself to it, or return without any useful knowledge" and chooses to return. They descend the stairs and see a goblin hitting the ground rhythmically with a sledgehammer. Rogue shoots him in the eye, saying "it might have been a trick, but it was probably an alarm. We should be on guard". The party hears a stifled giggle from the shadows, followed up by a hail of spears. Rogue darts back around the corner (10+ roll). Dwarf tries to hide behind his shield, which splinters (7-9 roll) and he chooses to lose it rather than take damage.

Druid had shapeshifted to bear before this. He asks "Do I have to dodge or can I just tough it out?", and smiles when I say "defy danger: con". He takes 6 spears in the chest, which don't even hurt him. He barrels into the goblins, sending them flying and bearhugging some of them to death. The dwarf tries to heal him and fucks it up. The rogue starts pinpoint sniping goblins, rolling 10+ over and over. The bear wrecks the rest of them.

The party's slightly hosed up at this point, and rests briefly before pressing on. They soon find some kegs (not searching the goblin's lair, which had secret doors and stuff). They're across an ancient rope bridge (open to the sky, inside a pit) and down an inside staircase, at the end of a long room which opens into a seemingly bottomless circular pit.

The kegs are all empty. The Sacred Keg stands on the edge of the pit, tap hanging over. It's nearly empty, there's maybe 3 pints left in the bottom. Cleric argues that they should lower another keg into the pit, to see if they can recover any Sacred Ale - although even a single pint would be enough, it would be better not to leave it down there in a puddle. They ties a rope to the bear and to a keg, and lower it down. Obviously the rope goes taut as He Who Thirsts Below grabs the keg.

I had no idea how to proceed here. He Who Thirsts Below isn't actually in the DW book. So I decided he had shitloads of tentacles which did 1d4 and grabbed you if you didn't avoid them, and his instincts were "drag them below" and "drink all the beer". I also decided that he wouldn't go out in the sunlight and would retreat after 25hp damage.

They eventually got away, after a few grabs and drags, the bridge collapsing, and losing one pint of Sacred Ale. They head back to Hyneckin, (semi) victorious and sharing the second last pint of Sacred Ale between them (it's really really good beer, it was totally worth it, even for just a third of a pint).

The Cleric and Druid leveled up, ending on 8 and 9 xp respectively. The rogue had inexplicably chosen bonds that were hard to resolve, and he didn't push them in play - he ended up on 5xp.

And that was our first real game of Dungeon World. It was super easy to set up and super fun to play. Everyone's keen to play again as soon as we can, which is about 2 weeks away.

I'm writing the Fronts and stuff right now. Here's what I have so far...

Danger:
He Who Thirsts Below has awakened from his hangover.
His fungal goblins are breeding out of control.

Impending Doom:
HWTB will consume all the ale in the world, heralding an age of sobriety and untold suffering.
...fungal goblins maraud around infecting non-ale liquors and turning people into more fungal goblins?

Grim Portents:
HWTB awakens in the deep.
The fungal Goblins begin breeding much faster than usual. (we are here)
HWTB's cultists start many pub brawls and riots - some wise men know what's up but nobody believes them.
...liquor is infected by fungal goblins, causing some drunks to become fungal goblins?
The Brown Order is summoned by the king, but does not respond.
Ale supplies begin to dry up, some seemingly evaporating from closed bottles and kegs.
...liquor is all infected, fungal goblins everywhere?
The Brown Order finally returns, but cannot prevail alone.
The world's ale supply is completely consumed by He Who Thirsts Below.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 11, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Welcome to Dungeon World, where you make poo poo up and it is glorious. Good to hear your players are having fun with it!

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Returned to The Firm last night. Lawyering was had. The party had to enter a city (helped by a new party member, a Walker) without getting their "interns" caught. The city they went to has been heavily influenced by a rival law firm and they managed to get "unpaid workers" and "interns" barred from entering the city gates and certain checkpoints in the city. The basically took over The Firm's local law-fort. Then they made a plan for to get the interns over the wall with the walker. Once the plan was finalized, the mage and the fighter just went through the gate to a pub to wait. The Thief went to the top of the wall and bopped a guard on the nose, getting them to run after him. The fighter in the pub begins yelling wildly about the rival law firm, getting a group of three elves and a halfling to come give him some grief. The halfling leaves when things start to go down and the mage follows him out. The Walker and the Druid show up at the bar as blows are getting thrown. The fighter attempts a citizen's arrest and gets a bug on him as he draws his "assailant" out of the room. Some guards show up and want to take them both under arrest, but about this time, on the other end of the city, there's an explosion. The mage and the thief just took out some guards (that weren't city guards) where they saw the halfling go through a doorway into a building attached to the west wall. Then he decided to inflame the upper floor by sending a fireball into it. The rest of the party shows up (with guards and fire brigade, the elf that 'assaulted' the fighter was taken into custody, but the fighter himself managed to get out of it). They rush in to investigate the building, pulling some files and the corpse of what appears to be a halfling from the building (convincing the guards that they have a right to the files.

Anyway, very little combat in this session. I feel like maybe that needs to happen more, simply because the end of session moves have to do with fighting foes and winning treasures (the files counted as worthy treasure, we decided).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Glazius posted:

Welcome to Dungeon World, where you make poo poo up and it is glorious. Good to hear your players are having fun with it!

We've always enjoyed the making-it-up-as-you-go style of gaming, starting with Baron Muchausen (well, starting with B/x D&D, but Munchausen was the first game we played where the mechanics really support it). I was very excited about this game after reading about it. More so after GMing the Slave Pits demo module, but a couple of the players were skeptical of the "literally no prep" thing. But it works, and it works fantastically well.

It's super cool to play a fantasy RPG that supports this style well. I knew DW would do it, but I never realised just how well it would work. One of the reasons we don't game as often as we'd like to is that nobody has time to write an interesting fantasy adventure, let alone a campaign. This is gonna let us just play whenever. It's like Fiasco / Everyone Is John (or a board game) in that you can go "Everyone's free? Game night!" and you can just play it, but it's deeper than those games and you can do ongoing play.

Oh, and if I tried writing the Saga of the Sacred Keg as an adventure, it would end up kind of stilted and un-funny. This was neither.

Edit: I bought the book, because I like having books. Is there a way to give the developers more of my money? I want to give them more of my money.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 11, 2013