Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Does anyone have experience brewing with black currants, by any chance? I'm trying to find some direction on what type of beer to make with them / how much of them to use.

I brewed a RR Consecration clone a month ago and just racked it onto 6lbs can of currants from Oregan Fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Anyone had any luck brewing something similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout? I have yet to brew a truly dark beer, and this is one of my favs.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Cointelprofessional posted:

I brewed a RR Consecration clone a month ago and just racked it onto 6lbs can of currants from Oregan Fruit.

Jesus, 6 pounds? I didn't think I'd need that much. I like the wit idea, that could be good

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The "Garage Pail Ale" is fermenting like crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58MSeQ7a9hE

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

hellfaucet posted:

Anyone had any luck brewing something similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout? I have yet to brew a truly dark beer, and this is one of my favs.
Not exactly that, but I've been working on a breakfast stout of sorts. In general I'm going with around 8% wheat, 10% oats, and according to my notes I used 8% pale chocolate malt and 8% debittered black patent, but I'm not sure on that. Roasted barley around 8% again. IBUs around 53 with chinook @35min and cascade @15min. US-05 and secondary on coffee.

The result was a great oatmeal stout with imo a really nice balance of mouthfeel, grain complexity, and enough hop presence to say "American stout" which still playing nicely with a lot of roast. It took a little time to really hit its peak, so I think I'm going bigger and bolder on coffee next time.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

Jesus, 6 pounds? I didn't think I'd need that much. I like the wit idea, that could be good

I think there's even a kit for it on more beer or something that comes with real consecration barrel chunks. :spergin:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I think there's even a kit for it on more beer or something that comes with real consecration barrel chunks. :spergin:

A quick look online makes it look like RR uses Zante currants, which are actually tiny grapes that aren't even in the same family as black currants. I don't know if they're specifically referencing consecration, though. Were the things that you used small little things or large-ish and slightly bigger than blueberries?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

crazyfish posted:

I was looking at this exact freezer; I take it it will fit a 6 gallon Better Bottle or bucket no problem? Will it fit two?
Hi, sorry to be late with this but yes it will hold two primary fermenters. Here's a diagram from the HBT thread about it

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Now that I've been playing with wine acids for my meads I was thinking about making a quick "cheaters" Gose since I'm almost out of my proper batch and don't feel like waiting months for another one.

Anyone have any experience with something like that? I know the Mad Fermentationist wrote a bit about it a good while back but I don't think he had a first hand account.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So, as mentioned, my freezer's totally dead. Problem is, I still have 3 kegs of beer and one batch that'll be coming online in a few weeks. I don't have near enough bottles to bottle all of them, but I'd really like at least a few bottles of each on hand. I've bottled from the keg before, but it's always been cold when I did so. Is it plausible to crank up the pressure enough to bottle at ~70 degrees, bottle from that, and then refrigerate my bottles? My thought it crank the pressure up to carbonate for a while, then drain off the pressure down to serving pressure on bottling day, freeze my bottles and bottling gear, fill a few bottles, cap, and refrigerate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
At the higher temperature, won't you just be getting all foam out of the keg?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's why I'd drop the pressure to serving pressure for bottling. At that lower pressure, yeah, the beer would off-gas fairly quickly, but I'm wondering if it would just do so immediately, or if with good cold gear I could at least get it in the bottle with a fair amount of CO2 left in solution.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I got a plate chiller from a friend that has a bunch of really old nasty hop bits and other crap in it. Running it through a couple Oxy Clean baths loosened a lot of it, but there's still some stuck in there, it's cool to throw this in the oven on the clean cycle and leave it for a few hours to ash all the crud, right?

Also, I always spiral cut my hot dogs during fermentation to increase surface area flavor yields, hot dog chips just won't do for a competition beer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Discomancer posted:

I got a plate chiller from a friend that has a bunch of really old nasty hop bits and other crap in it. Running it through a couple Oxy Clean baths loosened a lot of it, but there's still some stuck in there, it's cool to throw this in the oven on the clean cycle and leave it for a few hours to ash all the crud, right?

Also, I always spiral cut my hot dogs during fermentation to increase surface area flavor yields, hot dog chips just won't do for a competition beer.

Yeah, you can run it through the oven and you should be fine. Solder temperature is a hell of a lot higher than the self cleaning cycle of an oven.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

Hi, sorry to be late with this but yes it will hold two primary fermenters. Here's a diagram from the HBT thread about it

That is awesome. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out whether it would be the right freezer for me, but it turns out it most likely is. As it turns out, my second bedroom is getting the desktop computer and desk removed from it, which means I should have a shitton more floor space, and this freezer looks like it's actually smaller than the desk it's replacing!

Looks like I'll have myself a new freezer soon.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

crazyfish posted:

That is awesome. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out whether it would be the right freezer for me, but it turns out it most likely is. As it turns out, my second bedroom is getting the desktop computer and desk removed from it, which means I should have a shitton more floor space, and this freezer looks like it's actually smaller than the desk it's replacing!

Looks like I'll have myself a new freezer soon.

Sorry I missed your post - I picked up one of these after seeing it on homebrewfinds. Past its other virtues, the compressor is pretty quiet. I picked it up to make into a keezer that will go in a living area, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Much more fit for company than the 30 year old beast I got off craigslist for a fermentation chamber.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, you can run it through the oven and you should be fine. Solder temperature is a hell of a lot higher than the self cleaning cycle of an oven.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

hellfaucet posted:

I've brewed this recipe several times and its been spot on each time.
http://www.byo.com/stout/item/1857-founder%E2%80%99s-brewings-breakfast-stout-clone

RiggenBlaque posted:

A quick look online makes it look like RR uses Zante currants, which are actually tiny grapes that aren't even in the same family as black currants. I don't know if they're specifically referencing consecration, though. Were the things that you used small little things or large-ish and slightly bigger than blueberries?

I used the recipe bill from that kit, but I used my own special blend of souring bugs and didn't have access to the oak chips. I was thinking that I didn't use enough fruit, honestly. For all the other fruited sour beers that I've done, I try to hit the ratio of 2 lbs of fruit per gallon. I know that the kit came with a lb or so of dried currants. I looked into buying dried currants, but decided against it just in terms of quality. I imagine that they decided to use dried fruit to keep costs down. The 96oz can cost $36 on top of the ingredients for the actual beer.

I couldn't really tell the size of the currants. It was a puree and they'd been turned to liquid. I tasted them though before adding and they were pleasantly tart and sweet.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Bad Munki posted:

That's why I'd drop the pressure to serving pressure for bottling. At that lower pressure, yeah, the beer would off-gas fairly quickly, but I'm wondering if it would just do so immediately, or if with good cold gear I could at least get it in the bottle with a fair amount of CO2 left in solution.

Trying to do this would probably cause nothing but pain. If you decide to try it just chill your bottles, don't freeze them. If there's any water at all in the bottle it'll freeze and then cause foaming when you try to fill it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
SALE ALERT. Label Peelers is having a 25% off all grains sale. Not sure when it ends, but if you need to stock up. http://labelpeelers.com/beer-making-grains-c-1_17.html

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Woah, I've never seen a chiller like this one. Gimmick or awesome?

http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-kudu-immersion-wort-chiller-by-jaded-brewing

I want one :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

internet celebrity posted:

http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-kudu-immersion-wort-chiller-by-jaded-brewing

drat you. Now I want one too. :homebrew:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Wow, I get the feeling that by the time the water is halfway through its going to be wort hot anyways. I vote Gimmick :colbert:. Then I looked at the video and I am wrong. looks cool, but he didn't even have time to finish his beer.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

It's sold out. :smith:

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

So my Willamette hop vines are starting to bud after three years of nurturing and I'm planing on trying to brew a brown ale with wet hops, what I would like to know is how much green hops is comparable to either leaf or pellet hops.
If a recipe calls for 1 oz of Willamette do i use more or less fresh hops?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

djwetmouse posted:

So my Willamette hop vines are starting to bud after three years of nurturing and I'm planing on trying to brew a brown ale with wet hops, what I would like to know is how much green hops is comparable to either leaf or pellet hops.
If a recipe calls for 1 oz of Willamette do i use more or less fresh hops?

I've heard the ratio is 5oz fresh hops for every 1oz dried hops you would have used.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

hellfaucet posted:

It's sold out. :smith:

go buy 16' of 1/4" copper tubing, bend it into a neat pattern. Then repeat in a mirror image. then take another 16' and loop it around it all.

The nifty part of it is mating 3 1/4" tubes into one garden hose adaptor.. but without seeing it end on im assuming they just flared each tube out to fit the space.

Lowes will sell you 50' of 1/4" coil for $40. its up to you if all the extra work is worth $45 of labor. off the top of my head i bet you can do similar just making a simpler , stackable size. its all about surface area

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Roundboy posted:

go buy 16' of 1/4" copper tubing, bend it into a neat pattern. Then repeat in a mirror image. then take another 16' and loop it around it all.

The nifty part of it is mating 3 1/4" tubes into one garden hose adaptor.. but without seeing it end on im assuming they just flared each tube out to fit the space.

Lowes will sell you 50' of 1/4" coil for $40. its up to you if all the extra work is worth $45 of labor. off the top of my head i bet you can do similar just making a simpler , stackable size. its all about surface area

Its one of the higher quality immersions I've seen being sold since its 50ft with hose connections but yeah the shape isn't doing much for you.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
I have a 50 ft chiller I made with parts from home depot and it cools down in roughly the same amount of time.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I got my dad a couple of kits from Northern Brewer at Christmas but he's just now getting around to starting a brew. Are they still 'good' to brew? Anything I should look out for?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I got my dad a couple of kits from Northern Brewer at Christmas but he's just now getting around to starting a brew. Are they still 'good' to brew? Anything I should look out for?

The yeast is probably hosed by now (let's hope he kept the yeast in the fridge). I would definitely make a starter for each before trying to ferment. Other than that, they are probably fine.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

hellfaucet posted:

The yeast is probably hosed by now (let's hope he kept the yeast in the fridge). I would definitely make a starter for each before trying to ferment. Other than that, they are probably fine.

Unless they are dry yeast ( I don't think they would be). They are also usually sold with the yeast outside the box.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I made a few MoreBeer kits on a similar timeline. My malt extract was kept in the fridge and freezer, and the dry yeast and crushed grains in the freezer. It probably won't be quite as good as it could've been but it will still be miles ahead of a Mr. Beer kit.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To the guy with too much munich, you are a lucky guy. Munich works great in alts (mmmm, alts -- though I tend to like mine with more pils and less munich. I blame Uerige.) and the grainbill for my Belgian IPA is 8# munich, 2# pils and 2# sugar for 5 gal.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

For what it's worth, the extract kit from NB I just used was literally in the same situation, bought at Christmas, brewed recently. I had a liquid Wyeast pack (which was kept refrigerated the whole time) and it seemed to do its job well enough. I didn't use a starter, because I got ahead of myself and pitched the yeast before anyone suggested I might try a starter.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Midorka posted:

I stopped at my LHBS and hung with my buddy for a bit who works there. He said they recently got in Blackprinz malt, which is supposed to be very good and the only other malt one of their customers uses in an oatmeal stout that's supposed to be great. From reading it seems that it's more suited as a color adding malt, not much of a flavor addition. Has anyone used this and have any comments?

Yeah from what I hear it's a bitterless black malt. Adds color without significant flavor or astringency impact. I've yet to use it but I do have sample packs of them and would be happy to mail one to you if you think you'd like to make a tea out of it or something to test.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Isn't Blackprinz just Briess's version of Carafa III Special?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So I brewed this about a month and a half ago: http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/57617/world-wide-lager-agk

I did a BIAB in a 50 litre pot. It was my first time doing all grain and I had default settings in Beersmith so it wasn't correct on boiloff, I ended up with about 4 litres more liquid than I should. I added 1tsp of Irish Moss 10 mins before the end of the boil. I was supposed to lager it for a month but my beer fridge fell through so it spent the first week at room temperature, and then outside when it was cooler. I checked it had finished with my hydrometer but it was really, really hazy. I moved from primary to secondary after about 10-12 days, kegged it to "lager" either outside or inside when it was cooler varying from 10-20C so it was far from perfect. Fermentation in the primary seemed to halt around 1.020 and airlock activity stopped but a good shake got it going again. I carbed to 20psi, left it for another 2 weeks. It was still cloudy as anything so I filled a bottle and put it in the fridge for 4 days, which had no effect at all. It tastes pretty bad but not vinegary and there is no film/crap on on the surface.

I hoped that it tasted so bad because its so cloudy so I've put a sachet of isinglass in last night in the hope that it will clear up a bit. I'll check it tomorrow to see what its done. I know the temperature wasnt ideal but I thought it would be more "aley". Did the temperature ruin it or is there anything I can do to fix this beer?

Edit: Just took a reading with the hydrometer, its 1.005 which is lower than it was supposed to finish but hey its a bit diluted so thats probably right.

This is my sample from the fridge that had not being isinglassed:

This is a sample from the keg 12 hours after isinglass:

:( I guess it won't hurt to leave it another 2 days and check again
I tasted it and its not actually that bad when its warm, its drinkable anyway. It does taste quite sweet though which i thought unusual?

On a positive note, I should be getting my fridge on Saturday and the UK has got the heatwave that came over from the states. I'm feeling all summery, so I went down to the local pick your own fruit farm and got this:

Here we come Wild Strawberry Blonde!

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 12, 2013

Godsavethefritos
Jan 20, 2008

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks to whoever posted the BIAB wit recipe quite a while ago. We had a homebrew tasting right before going into the Seattle International Beerfest and the wit as a hit. I tasted a few wits from Belgium in the beerfest and mine compared very favorably.

That's been my exact experience too. I'm also irrationally terrified of propane and explosions so that doesn't help but even pushing my comfort zone with the burner it still doesn't seem to perform like it should.

Craft Cider Making by Andrew Lea is the best book I've read on cider making so far and I've read a few. The book is an edited and updated compilation of articles you can find for free on his website here: http://www.cider.org.uk/content2.htm

I'm not sure what size trees you're putting in but the rule of thumb for new apple trees is to pinch off the fruit for the first year or two so that the tree puts more energy into developing itself before it goes into heavy bearing.

Also, according to Orange Pippin the Dorsett Golden is self-sterile so you'll need another variety to cross-pollinate. It's an extremely early flowering variety so you'll want to keep that in mind when selecting another variety.

Pressing can be messy for sure. Do it outside where you can hose things off afterwards. You don't have to worry too much about ratios. I've made good cider out of a single eating variety, and good cider out of a mix of everything I could get my hands on. Most books like recommend some ratio of bittersweet, bittertart, aromatic, astrigent/tannic etc. The problem is most of those are not grown commercially and until recently they weren't widely available from nurseries to grow yourself. It's not something I'd worry about until you had a good amount of cidermaking behind you already.

Building a press itself is not that hard since it can just be some dimensional lumber, nuts, bolts and a bottle jack. But there are a few other pieces you need for the pressing process like a pressing bucket, pressing cloths or sacks and draining tray to collect the pressed juice. They can be improvised but it takes time to figure out how and locate the materials that will work.

I used the Whizbang Cider Press plans. I did intially build the garbage disposal grinder but it was not very good. You have to cut the apples up small enough to fit into the disposal hole which takes more time and then it tends to get clogged up pretty often too. The motors on those disposals aren't meant to run for long periods and tend to overheat. I removed it and used a coupling to mount a general purpose electric motor and the whole thing tries to shake itself apart. It's really difficult to mount the heavy motor just right so that the coupling doesn't get destroyed.

Late last year I started building a new grinder based on a plan from Woodgears.ca. I got it to the point of successfully grinding an apple with the hand crank and it looks like a good design. I need to replace the drum with white oak instead of red oak and set up a pulley and motor instead of manually cranking it since I'll likely be processing thousands of pounds of apples this year.

I can go into more of the specifics here or another thread if anyone is interested.

Wow, thanks for the information. I'd love to read more. I didn't know the dorsetts are self fertile, thats a good tip. I was going to just plant a few of those but I guess Ill have to find another early flowering variety to plant. It'll have to be something that I can grow in zone 9 but I think there are a few other varieties that will grow here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So my buddy asked if i want his unneeded mash tun (for 5 gal batches) and i replied that i dont have the burner capacity for a full boil, let alone a cooler to hold sparge, etc.

... to which he offered to let me take all his old 5 gal all grain stuff like a burner, cooler, tun ,etc..

im going to, so my question is: I have a honey porter extract kit.. is that better to use as is? or is there a way i can dump the extract, and just get more grains to still use it ?

or just suck it up and just start from scratch recipie wise ?