Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barometer posted:

Christopher, NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fu Manchu is one of Lee's most famous roles after Dracula. He loving nailed it, too. This is what he actually looked like:

I'll also second the recommendation for Quatermass and the Pit. It got a really good BD transfer a couple of years ago.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have no problem with the Brolin looks coming out of the trunk. It's stylish as hell, and if I am remembering correctly the main character is drugged before being released and has his hair cut, nails trimmed and is put in new clothes, so it isn't like I am expecting him to be straggly and skinny and hairy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm fine with the "trunk" poster. I mean it's a little forced with the symbolism if you have seen the original, but it's not the worst at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

Fu Manchu is one of Lee's most famous roles after Dracula. He loving nailed it, too. This is what he actually looked like:

He nails it but its still a terrible racist character in a movie that not only has the audacity to be a meandering racist bore but to also constantly use some of the most famous architecture in the world located in Barcelona as sets for scenes set in Turkey.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

"Not so rough Stripe-chan~"

And drat if that Gizmo face isn't some pro av material.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Barudak posted:

He nails it but its still a terrible racist character in a movie that not only has the audacity to be a meandering racist bore but to also constantly use some of the most famous architecture in the world located in Barcelona as sets for scenes set in Turkey.

It could always be worse...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BonoMan posted:

I'm fine with the "trunk" poster. I mean it's a little forced with the symbolism if you have seen the original, but it's not the worst at all.

If you haven't seen the original, it makes you go, "I don't know what's going on and I want to know more"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

I'll also second the recommendation for Quatermass and the Pit. It got a really good BD transfer a couple of years ago.

Still better than Cloud Atlas.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dick Trauma posted:

It could always be worse...

Speaking for myself as an Asian dude, the only thing that really bugs me about stuff like this these days, as an adult

is that loving font.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

BonoMan posted:

I'm not sure I agree, there is literally a scene where he comes out of a trunk, so its symbolic but also an accurate representation of what happens.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

OK, here's a poster. It's the teaser for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Given the early details about the plot, the trajectory already in place for the character, and movie posters being a thing, the shield tells the who and what, the battle wear the how, the lack of red and blue the why, and we already know the when. Where? At your local cinema in 3D!

It's as cogent and concise as can be. Fantastic poster, if boring in itself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's pretty true.

E: better picture

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Seriously. With what they can do with prosthetic effects these days, I was surprised a lot of the prosthetic work on Cloud Atlas was so poor. Hugh Grant with his asian makeup looked like some sort of weird, gimpy monster.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
So I looked closer at the framed posters that I posted earlier and I took "The WarLord" poster out of the frame (very carefully) and it's two sided.

Front side when in the frame:

Back side:

It looks like it's in very good condition and it definitely doesn't seem to be a advert from a magazine. Feels like real poster material, but it isn't really that big.

My dad also mentioned something about a 1939 Wizard of OZ poster that is somewhere in the basement.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So Hideo Kojima just posted this, which one of his artists did for the 3D launch of Pacific Rim:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lance Streetman posted:

So Hideo Kojima just posted this, which one of his artists did for the 3D launch of Pacific Rim:

:stare:

God drat, I want this hanging on my bedroom wall.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kojima. :allears:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

Kojima. :allears:

He's a dude who has literally built a career on games about giant robots (and one that was a Blade Runner ripoff with a tiny robot sidekick), he's pretty much the movie's target audience made flesh.

"Kojima on Twitter posted:

Dear twitter friends, The followings are my comment regarding "Pacific Rim". Luckily I was allowed to tweet in public by WB. I have never imagined that I would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in my life. The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via "2001: A Space Odyssey" and when I had touched the dinosaur in "Jurassic Park". Animation and special effects movies and shows that I loved in my childhood days - they all truly exist in the screen. Director Guillermo del Toro offers this spectacular vision of massive kaijus and robots in PACIFIC RIM. This film is not simply a film to be respected, but most importantly, it let us dream the future of entertainment movies.

Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this? I hope you would accept this inspirational love letter that had traveled across the Pacific, written by Director Guillermo del Toro.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He's a dude who has literally built a career on games about giant robots (and one that was a Blade Runner ripoff with a tiny robot sidekick), he's pretty much the movie's target audience made flesh.

gently caress that's a choice quote.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Pacific Rim - Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Oh, totally. Snatcher remains one of my alltime favorite old school games, and i've played basically every single Metal Gear game that exists. That said, I still desperately want that poster.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shanty posted:

gently caress that's a choice quote.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Pacific Rim - Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?

Goddamnit, that's the exact reaction I wanted to see out of the Japanese (and especially its creative talent such as Kojima). I'm hoping Pacific Rim is such a success over there that it reboots the flagging robot anime genre.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Young Freud posted:

Goddamnit, that's the exact reaction I wanted to see out of the Japanese (and especially its creative talent such as Kojima). I'm hoping Pacific Rim is such a success over there that it reboots the flagging robot anime genre.

I wouldn't hold breath for that. It's just moeshit forever and ever and ever now.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Forgall posted:

I wouldn't hold breath for that. It's just moeshit forever and ever and ever now.

I'm waiting for the anime Pacific Rim adaption where the Shatterdome is a high school and Idris Elba voices the student body president girl.

I like the poster Kojima's staff made for Pacific rim a lot more than most of the stuff Mondo puts out these days, but I don't find the gremlins poster all that bad. I think Gizmo's face is a little bit hosed up and he looks more like a futurama character than a cute toy thing, and I'm not sure putting black lines on the focal characters in the middle and nowhere else on the entire poster was a good choice, but otherwise I think its alright.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh man the latest in Mondo's Ghibli movie poster series are finally going to be released at SDCC next week!!!

...oh. :( I know when I think of Studio Ghibli films, my first thought is of drab doom and gloom. Seriously though, the poster for Spirited Away is so off the mark for the movie's tone, if I didn't know better I would think it was a horror film about a girl about to be murdered by a ghost. Where's the color and the life in these?

Mondo has some Pacific Rim posters for SDCC too which I was excited about until I got to see them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Howl's Moving Castle poster isn't as good as the official one. Also I agree that the tone is really off. Neither movies are very gloomy at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Same as Conan, I already have the one from last year but this one is so much nicer (Mondo @ SDCC).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow, I love that Conan poster but Mondo's bullshit limited edition way of doing things is assing me out. What a pisser. I'm going to go over to the Goon Market or whatever it's called and see if I can pay someone to buy it for me.

Edit: You know what? This will sell out in like 20 seconds. Why even bother?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 10, 2013

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

soapgish posted:

Given the early details about the plot, the trajectory already in place for the character, and movie posters being a thing, the shield tells the who and what, the battle wear the how, the lack of red and blue the why, and we already know the when. Where? At your local cinema in 3D!

It's as cogent and concise as can be. Fantastic poster, if boring in itself.

This is, uh, sarcasm, yea?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Someone should tell that artist not everyone is colorblind like him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wow, I love that Conan poster but Mondo's bullshit limited edition way of doing things is assing me out. What a pisser. I'm going to go over to the Goon Market or whatever it's called and see if I can pay someone to buy it for me.

Edit: You know what? This will sell out in like 20 seconds. Why even bother?

They're actually only releasing them at the convention so you're SOL unless you or a proxy can be there to buy one for you. If they have leftovers they may or may not put them up for sale later. Ebay is probably your best/only option.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sirotan posted:

They're actually only releasing them at the convention so you're SOL unless you or a proxy can be there to buy one for you. If they have leftovers they may or may not put them up for sale later. Ebay is probably your best/only option.

No, you can buy them from the web store on the 12th in a pre-sale and then pick them up at the convention using the same ID you pre-bought the poster with. They specifically say "don't come by the booth expecting to buy this."

This is legitimately stupid - I live in Southern California but I can't take work off to go to SDCC and pick up a poster at a convention with sold out tickets. There's literally no way for me to get this stupid poster beyond paying $300+ to some scalper on eBay. Absolute garbage, gently caress you Mondo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, you can buy them from the web store on the 12th in a pre-sale and then pick them up at the convention using the same ID you pre-bought the poster with. They specifically say "don't come by the booth expecting to buy this."

This is legitimately stupid - I live in Southern California but I can't take work off to go to SDCC and pick up a poster at a convention with sold out tickets. There's literally no way for me to get this stupid poster beyond paying $300+ to some scalper on eBay. Absolute garbage, gently caress you Mondo.

Wait, what? That makes no sense... Why even have exclusive con-only sales if you have to buy it online first to begin with?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh it's kind of dumb but I can see what they were going for. i think they wanted to avoid a mob rush mini riot of people trying to get to their booth to buy the poster, so they're basically making it so you have to get the poster ahead of time so the rush is online, where no damage can be done, rather than at the con where ti could cause trouble. If you aren't going to the con, the online order isn't really supposed to be for you. They don't expect you to go to the con to get the poster. They're just doing this for people that are going to the con.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't say it was but even the day of release - Thursday - limits it (they have on their website: "we will not hold this past Thursday"). When I go to SDCC I generally go on Friday anyway so there's no way that this would have worked for me.

I'm a huge Conan fan and that's a great poster, but it's not 300+ dollars great and like Sirotan says, that's my only option unless I can find someone who will camp Twitter to get a shot at the poster for me AND is going to Comic Con (they have to enter THEIR information to pick it up, after all) and is willing to make 50 bucks on the poster instead of 250+. That's not going to happen. Now I can see why people get so aggravated with Mondo. This is dumb.

Edit: aw gently caress, a friend of mine is going to Comic Con...on Wednesday and Saturday. So close.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 10, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If Crom is smiling upon us they will sell any reserves online but then you only have about 15 seconds via their site.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Young Freud posted:

Goddamnit, that's the exact reaction I wanted to see out of the Japanese (and especially its creative talent such as Kojima).

But what would Shohei Imamura have thought?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Desperate writer: So hey, what if... :laugh: there was a movie where.. uh... THE DUDE was A WIZARD :aaaaa: and had to fight MAUDE LEBOWSKI who was a loving WITCH? What do you thi---

Movie executive: GET IT DONE

Trailer

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Cool another 99% bluescreen "epic" action movie with people striking "badass" poses constantly.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Cool another 99% bluescreen "epic" action movie with people striking "badass" poses constantly.
Not gonna lie, Bridges seems to be having a blast in both this and R.I.P.D which is why I will see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeff Bridges' role choices have been rather questionable for the past few years. Except for TRON: Legacy and the first Iron Man, I don't think I've really liked him in anything in years. I mean, I guess he was alright in True Grit, but I wasn't wowed by that movie. I like his personality, I just don't think it fits in a lot of movies very well. Then in some, no one else could fit as much as him, like in Lebowski.