Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So last night I saw the trailer for the WWE Films, Halle Berry movie "The Call" about a 991 operator trying to rescue a little girl who's on the line. My question is, wasn't there a film like that a few years ago, where a person had to stay on the phone with someone who was kidnapped? I can swear I remember that plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Cellular? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337921/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yes! Thank you. No wondered I was confused. I was getting my bald action heroes confused. I was thinking Bruce Willis, and it was Jason Statham. I also thought it starred some blonde woman, but I wasn't thinking of Kim Basinger.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Phanatic posted:

All I remember about this film is that there were a bunch of different criminals all trying to pull off a robbery in the same high-rise building. It was like some sort of competitive event, the crook who actually got the MacGuffin would be selected for something and there's much killing each other off. It wasn't a comedy.

Edit: Might be Mean Guns. I'll take a look, thanks.

Could also be a mis-remembering of Lucky Number Slevin (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425210/)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I think I saw this in the early to mid 90s. It was one of those crazy women movies from that era. There's a scene were these people are having a bake sale, and some people buy these cookies. But the crazy lady in the movie put glass in the cookies, and I remember specifically one girl biting into them and blood pouring out of her mouth. I'm sure a few others got cut up, too. The bake sale was either being held by a rival company to the one the crazy woman worked at, or by her own company and she was trying to screw over some people that worked there because of sexual rebuff or some stuff like that. I think the crazy woman was a secretary for an important person in the company.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Detective Thompson posted:

I think I saw this in the early to mid 90s. It was one of those crazy women movies from that era. There's a scene were these people are having a bake sale, and some people buy these cookies. But the crazy lady in the movie put glass in the cookies, and I remember specifically one girl biting into them and blood pouring out of her mouth. I'm sure a few others got cut up, too. The bake sale was either being held by a rival company to the one the crazy woman worked at, or by her own company and she was trying to screw over some people that worked there because of sexual rebuff or some stuff like that. I think the crazy woman was a secretary for an important person in the company.

The Temp.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
There's a movie that I can only really remember one scene of.

A family is out in a field, I can't remember what they are doing, but they have a baby. The baby is wandering around and wanders into the road where he gets hit by an 18 wheeler I think it is? And you see his white shoe rolling down the street and I think I remember seeing a guy scream NOOOOOOOOO! when it happens.

Sorry if this is vague or sounds stupid, but this has been bugging me for a bit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cole posted:

There's a movie that I can only really remember one scene of.

A family is out in a field, I can't remember what they are doing, but they have a baby. The baby is wandering around and wanders into the road where he gets hit by an 18 wheeler I think it is? And you see his white shoe rolling down the street and I think I remember seeing a guy scream NOOOOOOOOO! when it happens.

Sorry if this is vague or sounds stupid, but this has been bugging me for a bit.

Pet Sematary

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Opopanax posted:

Pet Sematary

Exactly right. Thanks a lot.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Thanks!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Okay, now here is something I vaguely remember. Possibly quite old (I think over 10-15 years ago, maybe even 20 or 30 years) and I seem to vaguely recall it being on TV.

The only things I recall is that the main character (I don't remember if male or female) goes off on an adventure to search for someone, and meets up with other characters and so on.

At the end, when they are ready to give up, they realize that the doofus they've been travelling with all this time is the idiot they've been looking for, either by recognizing an identifying characteristic (birthmark or scar or something), or recognizing a trinket they are carrying, or by some mannerism or phrase (most likely one).

I also seem to remember several false candidates, acting as red herrings.

I cannot remember any other details, but I do know that:

-It's not one of the Anastasia movies, but it does have the similar trope of a certain clue that confirms the identity of a missing person.

-It's not some Japanese Anime/manga from 2000 onwards.

-It may or may not be animation, but if it is it's probably Western animation, though I'm not ruling out some sort of really old Japanese anime.

-It may or may not be a television series.

I cannot recall whether it was in a fantasy setting, or in a modern setting or what.

I realize there is little to go on; I wish I could remember more details. Believe me, I would search if I had more details. The only thing that really stands out is the plot twist.

Thank you for your time. I'm eager to hear any suggestions.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Given how much ground that could cover, I think checking out (ugh) TV Tropes may be your best bet:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BirthmarkOfDestiny
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomethingOnlyTheyWouldSay

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Given how much ground that could cover, I think checking out (ugh) TV Tropes may be your best bet:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BirthmarkOfDestiny
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomethingOnlyTheyWouldSay

Hey thanks, I thought of using TV Tropes, but I wish they labelled their tropes more intuitively.

But yeah, no result. A thing to keep in mind is that it's the main plot of the story and as such resolved at the end, rather than a one-off gag or plot device.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Possibly somewhere in here then?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasWithYouAllAlong

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Hmmm, that one looked more promising, although nothing stands out to me.

I'm beginning to think that maybe my "movie" memory is nothing but a figment of my own imagination composed of various impressions from multiple stories and media.

Perhaps I'm the one who'll have to write and produce this.

Also, TV Tropes is a deadly timewaster.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PumpkinBat posted:

At the end, when they are ready to give up, they realize that the doofus they've been travelling with all this time is the idiot they've been looking for, either by recognizing an identifying characteristic (birthmark or scar or something), or recognizing a trinket they are carrying, or by some mannerism or phrase (most likely one).

Reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jewel_of_the_Nile

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I was gonna say that too but the fact that they thought it was a tv show or possibly animated threw me off.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

syscall girl posted:

I was gonna say that too but the fact that they thought it was a tv show or possibly animated threw me off.

Yea, in this thread (and the identify songs thread) some people have been really off (memories are strange) so I usually throw out anything that pops into my head.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Hmmm, definitely not this. But thanks for helping. The thing I have in mind has the protagonist look for someone they have a personal connection with.

If it helps, what made think about this is when I read a story about a highschool girl looking for a boy that saved her when she was little. After a long story, she realizes it's the loud idiot that she was initially at odds with (but later befriended). What gives him away is when he uses a phrase she recognizes as the same phrase the little boy used when he saved her (the reason why he doesn't recognize her nor remember the incident is because he has amnesia).

After I read it, I thought, "Hah, what a cliche, I've seen this plot twist before, and done much better". But try as I might, I could not remember where I first saw it.

And no, it's not an episode of Case Closed/Detective Conan either (it was a similar idea about a person saving another as a kid).

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

This is probably a real long shot but do you just have a really confused memory of this Twilight Zone episode

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Nope, missed by a mile, but nice try :). Like I said, the protagonist has some personal connection to the person they're looking for.

I really should get around to watching the Twilight Zone someday.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

PumpkinBat posted:

Nope, missed by a mile, but nice try :). Like I said, the protagonist has some personal connection to the person they're looking for.

...could it be The Princess Bride!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Chewy Bitems posted:

...could it be The Princess Bride!

I was wondering when you would show up. :) And you saved me the trouble of quoting your post.

No, it isn't.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

PumpkinBat posted:

I was wondering when you would show up. :) And you saved me the trouble of quoting your post.

No, it isn't.
Ha! it's actually annoying me since what you originally described seems really familiar to me, though like you said, it's been done alot of times.

One that popped into my head was one of the Diskworld books, maybe 'Guards! Guards!' (I've not read any of those books in over a decade so probably another one) where it similarly turns out that one of the characters is the rightful heir to the throne(I think) due to one of his companions noticing a birthmark(I think shaped like a carrot or something) but then, the lost heir thing is another, though very similar, common plot twist itself.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A movie about an all-girls school in a remote location. They all go on a trip to this big rock and one of them disappears. The rest of the story is them trying to find the girl. It's heavily implied that there is some paranormal explanation and I don't think it ends up being explained.

I saw it a couple years ago on Starz or something. Seems like it was made in the early 90s? It took place in the past, like the 1800s. I want to say the title was something like "the incident at..." or similar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

A movie about an all-girls school in a remote location. They all go on a trip to this big rock and one of them disappears. The rest of the story is them trying to find the girl. It's heavily implied that there is some paranormal explanation and I don't think it ends up being explained.

I saw it a couple years ago on Starz or something. Seems like it was made in the early 90s? It took place in the past, like the 1800s. I want to say the title was something like "the incident at..." or similar.

Picnic at Hanging Rock?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

therattle posted:

Picnic at Hanging Rock?

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not a specific movie, but can anyone name movies where a criminal gets caught by the cops and then hired to do a job for them?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

Not a specific movie, but can anyone name movies where a criminal gets caught by the cops and then hired to do a job for them?

Payback (sorta)
Snitch (sorta)
White Lightning

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mainly I'm trying to complete the "Fast and Furious ___ is ______ with cars" matrix, and the only one that nobody figured out was 2.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I have been watching Threads thanks to the thread on unnerving wiki's, and it made me think.

A few years ago I remember watching a movie on Netflix that was from the 70s/80s...and it was told in first person from the point of view of a nuclear warhead that got lost in shipping. I watched it while playing StarCraft, so my memory is hazy, but I think it was kind of tongue-in-cheek about what could happen if someone got ahold of a warhead that we didn't know about.

I thought it was directed by Richard Linklater, but I'm not turning up anything. I think the bomb had a name that it gave itself based on the printing on it's casing, like MARY or something similar. I've checked my Netflix instant queue (because I'm terrible and never clean it out) and am not finding it.

I tried looking at this list, but no luck.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I have been watching Threads thanks to the thread on unnerving wiki's, and it made me think.

A few years ago I remember watching a movie on Netflix that was from the 70s/80s...and it was told in first person from the point of view of a nuclear warhead that got lost in shipping. I watched it while playing StarCraft, so my memory is hazy, but I think it was kind of tongue-in-cheek about what could happen if someone got ahold of a warhead that we didn't know about.

I thought it was directed by Richard Linklater, but I'm not turning up anything. I think the bomb had a name that it gave itself based on the printing on it's casing, like MARY or something similar. I've checked my Netflix instant queue (because I'm terrible and never clean it out) and am not finding it.

I tried looking at this list, but no luck.

Sum of All Fears?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Steve Yun posted:

Mainly I'm trying to complete the "Fast and Furious ___ is ______ with cars" matrix, and the only one that nobody figured out was 2.

Fast and Furious 2 is The Fast and the Furious with more cars.

Kleptocracy
Feb 18, 2011

FABRICATI DIEM PVNC
This is an old movie (1930s or 40s maybe?), I can't remember whether it's black and white or not.

It's an implied off-screen death scene, the man is old and the whole thing's very peaceful. There's a looong still shot of a bedroom door while a slow version of the Merry Widow Waltz plays.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Kleptocracy posted:

This is an old movie (1930s or 40s maybe?), I can't remember whether it's black and white or not.

It's an implied off-screen death scene, the man is old and the whole thing's very peaceful. There's a looong still shot of a bedroom door while a slow version of the Merry Widow Waltz plays.

Wild guess: Shadow of a Doubt? Only connection being that it uses the Merry Widow waltz extensively.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Fast and Furious 2 is The Fast and the Furious with more cars.

For a moment there, it did turn into Smokey and the Bandit 2 (trucks vs cops)

Kleptocracy
Feb 18, 2011

FABRICATI DIEM PVNC

Tardigrade posted:

Wild guess: Shadow of a Doubt? Only connection being that it uses the Merry Widow waltz extensively.

Nah, definitely not. I remember the part about the old man dying because I was bawling my eyes out at that point :shobon:

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Kleptocracy posted:

Nah, definitely not. I remember the part about the old man dying because I was bawling my eyes out at that point :shobon:

Heaven Can Wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iS_t1iSUbw&t=190s

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Steve Yun posted:

La Femme Nikita (and the remake, Point of No Return)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Steve Yun posted:

Sort of along these lines could be The Dirty Dozen. 48 Hours is a pretty good example. You could also use The Rock potentially. XXX is an actual good example of this plot. Maybe Escape From New York and it's sequel.