Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The whole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalia_Affair was horrific. Plus there was a cover up.

One of the least Canadian pieces of recent Canadian history.

quote:

Estimates have ranged from 15-80 other soldiers could hear or observe the beating, but did not intervene.[14][25] Corporal MacDonald, acting as duty signaller that night, was asked by Sgt. Major Mills about "a long dragged out howl" heard from the vicinity of the bunker, but MacDonald refused to stop playing Game Boy to investigate. Later, Matchee came by to borrow a cigarette from MacDonald and mentioned that "now the Black man would fear the Indian as he did the white man", and MacDonald went outside to check on Arone's status. He saw Matchee hitting him in the face with the baton, and reported that the prisoner was "getting a good poo poo-kicking" to Sgt. Perry Gresty, before retiring to bed for the night.[14]

Arone fell unconscious after several hours of beatings, after shouting "Canada! Canada! Canada!" as his last words.[25] When Brown mentioned the event to Sergeant J.K. Hillier, the non-commissioned officer noted there "would be trouble" if the prisoner died, and went to check on the youth whom he found had no pulse, and base medics confirmed that the boy was dead.[14] It was later discovered that Arone had burn marks on his penis.[26]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That'll teach those fuckin' terrorist thugs to take up arms against their liberators :black101:

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Baloogan posted:

The whole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalia_Affair was horrific. Plus there was a cover up.

One of the least Canadian pieces of recent Canadian history.

This is why it's so important to have high quality training and education for the Forces. Unfortunately, training and development is usually the first to go when the budget is cut. I guess they need the money for other important things like updating the Army rank structure.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

It's a Man's Life in the Canadian Forces Royal Canadian Forces Canadian Army.

This isn't even subtle anym-- well it never was to begin with what am I talking about.

I have a close family friend who works with the air cadets and is knee-deep in the workings of the local legions. The excuse she gives for supporting this change, along with bringing back the "royal" names last year, is that it honours WWII veterans and makes their sons happy. There has apparently been a vocal minority of veteran families who have been lobbying for these kind of changes for years. When we talked about last year's change, I asked about how it seemed to disregard modern veterans and people currently in the military, and she claimed that they overwhelmingly supported the change as well. I don't believe that last part, though.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

Huge Liability posted:

I have a close family friend who works with the air cadets and is knee-deep in the workings of the local legions. The excuse she gives for supporting this change, along with bringing back the "royal" names last year, is that it honours WWII veterans and makes their sons happy. There has apparently been a vocal minority of veteran families who have been lobbying for these kind of changes for years. When we talked about last year's change, I asked about how it seemed to disregard modern veterans and people currently in the military, and she claimed that they overwhelmingly supported the change as well. I don't believe that last part, though.

I'm not going to speak for everyone in the military, but I think general sentiment is minor approval of the change IF everything else wasn't currently being slashed to pieces by budget cuts.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
What's amazing is that at this point, it's the veteran's sons who are old enough to be retired. They didn't even fight

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Freeze posted:

I'm not going to speak for everyone in the military, but I think general sentiment is minor approval of the change IF everything else wasn't currently being slashed to pieces by budget cuts.

Yeah I think the Liberal response is on point here. Regardless of any issues some people might take about the problematic symbolism of switching to the old ranks(which I think are an issue, but I imagine most people don't care), at the same time they're gutting a lot of important support programs in the armed forces.

Of course, it's not like Canada has a great track record of going to war with a well-funded and well-equipped army either.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Freeze posted:

This is why it's so important to have high quality training and education for the Forces. Unfortunately, training and development is usually the first to go when the budget is cut. I guess they need the money for other important things like updating the Army rank structure.

Training and development stops sadistic behaviour in those with a proclivity for it? :confused:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/09/quebec-lac-megantic-eyewitness-video.html

Look at those explosions..

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I've met a number of people who were in the Airborne Division, some really gentle and kind individuals. Everyone says the same thing though, it was a different world being a part of that group of men. When you knew what they did to each other that Somali Affair seemed sorta par for the course.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Huge Liability posted:

Yeah my impression is that a) it devalues all the people who served, fought, and died in the new uniform in basically every peacekeeping mission Canada ever went on plus Afghanistan, and b) there are much more important things to be spending time and money on than this, even within the armed forces. Diefenbaker already tried turning back towards Britain once, Steve, and it didn't work then either.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Training and development stops sadistic behaviour in those with a proclivity for it? :confused:

Proper training and development prevents there from being entire units where honesty and professionalism are not regarded as important. Something like the Somalia incident just couldn't happen in the CF today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ghost of Castro posted:

I've met a number of people who were in the Airborne Division, some really gentle and kind individuals. Everyone says the same thing though, it was a different world being a part of that group of men. When you knew what they did to each other that Somali Affair seemed sorta par for the course.

The biggest problem with Airborne was that they were the elite regiment of the army and because of that, a good number of their superiors in NDHQ came from their ranks. That old-boys club created an atmosphere of tolerance to their behaviour, as you never want to be seen turning your back on your Airborne brothers. What started out as harmless antics and traditions (like jumping out of mess hall windows shouting "Airborne!") became more and more ugly over time, until it got to the level of the full-on hazing culture that created the environment that would bring about the whole Somalia mess.

The disbanding of the Airborne Regiment was really the only option the government had; the military brass was all too happy to keep sweeping their behaviour under the rug because, well, AIRBORNE. Plus it sent an unequivocal message to the brass that the government was no longer willing to tolerate any kind of harassment-type behaviour in the military, and that they had better fix the problem because your asses are on the line next. When I was an Air Cadet in the mid-late 1990s they had just finished implementing a sweeping, Forces-wide harassment prevention program that proved to be at least somewhat effective (the cadets were covered by the program as they are jointly run by the DND and the civilian Cadet Leagues).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It also led to the immediate reduction of Canadian military spending by nearly 25% from the time of the killing to the inquiry.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Thank God we have a strong leader who will cut the military the slack it deserves (while cutting its budget)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It's ok, we'll make up the shortfall in the Army's budget by billeting soldiers with civilians and returning to foraging and looting.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Where are our strategic women's underwear reserves???

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Conservatives are blustering, ham-fisted children

quote:

Israeli officials encouraged Canada not to cut its foreign aid to the Palestinian Authority in retaliation for the Palestinians seeking upgraded status at the United Nations last year, new documents show.

Canada was one of nine countries that voted against the symbolic but hugely controversial move by the UN General Assembly to grant the Palestinians recognition as a de facto state in November 2012.

In advance of the vote, the Conservative government had warned of “consequences” should the Palestinians push ahead with the initiative, and there were rumblings that Canada might stop providing assistance to the Palestinian Authority.

In 2008, Canada committed $300 million over five years for various development projects within the Palestinian territories, of which at least $40 million was still waiting to be disbursed at the time of the General Assembly vote.

But briefing notes prepared for International Development Minister Julian Fantino in advance of the vote, and obtained by Postmedia News, show Israeli officials highlighted the importance of Canadian aid to the Palestinians, and urged Canada to continue its assistance.

“There have been increasing references in the past months during high-level bilateral meetings with the Israelis about the importance and value they place on Canada’s assistance to the Palestinian Authority, most notably in security/justice reform,” reads the note dated Nov. 2, 2012 and signed by Canadian International Development Agency president Margaret Biggs.

“The Israelis have noted the importance of Canada’s contribution to the relative stability achieved through extensive security co-operation between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.”

The note is heavily censored, but does goes on to state that “the emergence of popular protests on the Palestinian street against the Palestinian Authority is worrying and the Israelis have been imploring the international donor community to continue to support the Palestinian Authority.”

The note was prepared as part of an assessment of options, led by the Foreign Affairs department, for how to respond to the Palestinian bid for upgraded status at the UN.

The Israeli comments echo warnings made by some observers at the time that cutting aid to the Palestinian Authority would destabilize it, and possibly push average Palestinians into the arms of its rival, Islamic militant group Hamas.

Despite Canadian opposition, which included a last-minute, personal intervention by Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird, the UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly in favour of increasing the Palestinians’ status four weeks later, on Nov. 29.

The Conservative government immediately responded by saying it would be reviewing its current and future aid commitments.

However, it later said it would fulfil its $300-million commitment, which expired at the end of March, and last month announced $25 million in new aid for Palestinians.

That includes $20 million in humanitarian assistance and $3.6 million to continue training Palestinian security forces, including through a U.S.-led program called Operation Proteus.

Asked whether Israeli government input was responsible for Canada continuing to provide aid to the Palestinian Authority, Baird spokesman Rick Roth said in an email: “Canada consults with a wide range of countries and stakeholders in the area, and judges past investments on results.”

An Israeli Embassy spokesman said in a statement that “Israel supports a stable and reliable Palestinian Authority with a dependable security system and an effective judiciary,” and Israelis “appreciate Canada’s assistance to the Palestinian Authority in these important areas.”

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Canada: More in support of Israeli Apartheid than Israel.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I have no idea why they have such a hard-on for Israel

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Because if we create a Jewish state in the holy land, it'll be like in Revelation and that means Jesus will return to us. It is ordained in scripture. :angel:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I once had the truly unfortunate pleasure of visiting Guzoo "behind the scenes" and it was an absolute loving pigsty. It's completely odious that Gustafson isn't being fined into financial oblivion.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

THC posted:

Because if we create a Jewish state in the holy land, it'll be like in Revelation and that means Jesus will return to us. It is ordained in scripture. :angel:
This is high discourse in Canadian politics, and completely and totally applicable to this situation.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't give a poo poo about Israel or Palestine.

Why are we giving $300M to a foreign country over five years?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Alctel posted:

In all seriousness, I think it's because Conservative foreign policy is plagiarized off the Bush administration. Same reason we're getting all this weird jingoistic military poo poo with the war of 1812 and going back to the old rank system. There may have been people pushing for it before, but the Conservatives are, IMO, using American conservative positions to benefit from the messaging and spin it can provide. It's basically a warping of the Canadian national identity to better serve conservative interest groups.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Why are we giving $300M to a foreign country over five years?
Is there a problem with doing so?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alctel posted:

If we're more American than the Americans, maybe they'll finally love us.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

Is there a problem with doing so?

When we're having to cut important services at home, yeah kinda.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

We really don't have to cut any services, the Conservatives are doing so to satisfy a political position on the size of the government.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kafka Esq. posted:

We really don't have to cut any services, the Conservatives are doing so to satisfy a political position on the size of the government.

Okay. I'm not really trying to go into how our deficit is a lie or anything. Why are my taxes going to Palestine and/or Israel? Is it a global political thing?

Especially an amount like $300M over five years. Even if we had a billion dollar surplus I'd be questioning that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vermain posted:

I once had the truly unfortunate pleasure of visiting Guzoo "behind the scenes" and it was an absolute loving pigsty. It's completely odious that Gustafson isn't being fined into financial oblivion.

I really don't know either. It seems every Albertan who's ever heard of it outside the Gustafsons seems pretty unhappy about it.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Okay. I'm not really trying to go into how our deficit is a lie or anything. Why are my taxes going to Palestine and/or Israel? Is it a global political thing?

Especially an amount like $300M over five years. Even if we had a billion dollar surplus I'd be questioning that.

This isn't the place to get into the complexities and problems of foreign aid, but what do you think CIDA did? It was the department of giving money to foreigners before DFAIT swallowed it. We give out a lot more than 300 million over 5 years. It's just the dominant understanding of how international development works, and especially in the case of Palestine, it often constitutes emergency aid for the provision of things like food or medical care.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Cordyceps Headache posted:

This isn't the place to get into the complexities and problems of foreign aid, but what do you think CIDA did? It was the department of giving money to foreigners before DFAIT swallowed it. We give out a lot more than 300 million over 5 years. It's just the dominant understanding of how international development works, and especially in the case of Palestine, it often constitutes emergency aid for the provision of things like food or medical care.

I just googled and got nothing, how much money does Israel give to foreign aid? It's a comparatively pretty well-off country. As an irrelevance, I once had a CIDA-funded RA-ship; it was almost entirely wasted money, but it was a job, so I did it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

:bahgawd: "HELPING PEOPLE WITH ARE TAX MONEYS"

Seriously though, it's largely for humanitarian aid purposes, is there a reason you think a first world nation like Canada (and that includes a large amount of its citizens) should not be trying to make sure things like food and medical supplies are available to those in need?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I just googled and got nothing, how much money does Israel give to foreign aid? It's a comparatively pretty well-off country. As an irrelevance, I once had a CIDA-funded RA-ship; it was almost entirely wasted money, but it was a job, so I did it.

From what I remember, Israel gives foreign aid through sending experts abroad and doing training programs. I don't think they do any direct cash funding like many other countries do.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

JawKnee posted:

:bahgawd: "HELPING PEOPLE WITH ARE TAX MONEYS"

Seriously though, it's largely for humanitarian aid purposes, is there a reason you think a first world nation like Canada (and that includes a large amount of its citizens) should not be trying to make sure things like food and medical supplies are available to those in need?

Like Attawapiskat maybe?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Faux Shoah posted:

Like Attawapiskat maybe?

Does helping those abroad mean we are barred from doing the same at home or do you for some reason think I'm going to disagree with you?

Think
Sep 20, 2005

JawKnee posted:

Does helping those abroad mean we are barred from doing the same at home or do you for some reason think I'm going to disagree with you?

No, I mean when we literally have people in this country who live in third world conditions, Canadians come first. Always. Foreign aid could be much better spent back home on development rather than on partially funding Iron Dome and Qassam rockets.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Faux Shoah posted:

No, I mean when we literally have people in this country who live in third world conditions, Canadians come first. Always. Foreign aid could be much better spent back home on development rather than on partially funding Iron Dome and Qassam rockets.

I doubt that's where funding ends up, but my point was that we can do both.

Because we have the money for both.

And the reason Attawapiskat happened isn't because of a lack of funding, but because of a lack of empathy, kind of like when people say we shouldn't fund humanitarian efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Faux Shoah posted:

Bah, this is just like the dumb debate that occasionally flares in the spaceflight thread. It's a false dichotomy. You can't just take the money from overseas development and stick it into aid to First Nations Reserves, because the latter is at least a little bit popular, whereas the latter is not.

It would be great if we could improve conditions on the reserves, but the first step in doing so is admitting that there is a problem, and that it's mostly the Government of Canada's doing. Nobody is about to admit that. It's dumb, but so it is.

• Locked thread