Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Welp, all the money & attention went towards the Iraq war, so it's not suprising how Afghanistan is now. I feel sorry for the poor schmucks that gotta train the ANSF; I worked with ANSF officers and they weren't bad (pretty chill, friendly dudes actually), but all the poo poo I've heard & read about dealing with the Es is just too crazy to be made up.
Hopefully Afghanistan can stand well enough on its own if we keep throwing money at it after we leave. Worked in Vietnam 'til we got cheap and yanked the flow of cash. Hell, even the USSR did it after they said "fuckit" and pulled out of Afghanistan, and that government was able to outlast the USSR a little when the cashflow stopped.

Explain to me why we should throw money at it with no hope of any positive return on investment? "Throwing money at it" is not a loving solution, it didn't resolve Iraq, it didn't resolve anywhere. Money is not a goddamn weapons system and that is the stupidest loving maxim of any doctrine ever. Can money purchase short term solutions? Yes. But it can never resolve long term strategic issues. loving goddammit the US military needs to stop thinking tactically and start thinking strategically. The short term solutions with long term blowback just keep on piling up. Throwing money at a problem doesn't loving fix it. Afghanistan was going to be the way it is no matter how much money or personnel we threw at it, even if Iraq never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

white privilege posted:

Explain to me why we should throw the military at it with no hope of any positive return on investment? "Throwing the military at it" is not a loving solution, it didn't resolve Iraq, it didn't resolve anywhere. The military is not a goddamn social reprogramming system and that is the stupidest loving maxim of any doctrine ever. Can the military achieve short term solutions? Yes. But it can never resolve long term ideological issues. loving goddammit the US government needs to stop thinking tactically and start thinking strategically. The short term solutions with long term blowback just keep on piling up. Throwing the military at a problem doesn't loving fix it. Afghanistan was going to be the way it is no matter how much money or personnel we threw at it, even if Iraq never happened.

ftfy

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

white privilege posted:

loving goddammit the US military needs to stop thinking tactically and start thinking strategically.

This will occur right around the same time we have a strategy driven budget process (and develop capabilities/weapons systems based on a coherent grand strategy), as opposed to the standard 31%/27%/22%/rest for the Pentagon breakdown.

Karzai is no dummy, he knows he's got about 2 months after we completely pull the plug (Najibullah lasted three). There has never been a coherent desired end state because everyone knows (but no one is willing to openly state) that our options are either politically tenable but realistically not achievable (a viable competent Afghan state) or realistically achievable but politically not tenable (leaving the country to the Taliban). But instead of recognizing that we have bounced from objective to objective, focused on whatever the operational/tactical flavor of the week is (counter-terrorism, COIN, FID) while continuing to fight a war without any loving idea what in the gently caress we want our end state to be. Oh, and we're doing this in a backwards illiterate impoverished landlocked country in Central Asia with a GDP south of Haiti's. Because I know what's what I think of when I think of "regions of the world that are of true strategic interest, worthy of the world's greatest superpower and most powerful military alliance spending over a decade fighting in, at the cost of thousands of lives and billions of dollars."

This entire war is the biggest loving joke.

e: Sorry, thought this was the current events thread not the picthread, that was a downer of a post. Here's a picture of an aircraft that the Afghan Air Force can't fly effectively and that they won't be able to maintain once we pull out:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 8, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Close, but no cigar. Throwing the military at things has always made money for someone.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Sup?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Close, but no cigar. Throwing the military at things has always made money for someone.

True, but that neither contradicts me, nor has anything to do with the subject at hand. Unless you're suggesting we went into Iraq for financial reasons... :monocle:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

iyaayas01 posted:

Here's a picture of an aircraft that the Afghan Air Force can't fly effectively and that they won't be able to maintain once we pull out:

Safety privilege will only allow me to say that I agree with your statement.

A classic:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Derek Dominoe posted:

Safety privilege will only allow me to say that I agree with your statement.

A classic:

Fun fact: the guys that did that all got LoR's!

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Stolen from reddit

:nws: http://imgur.com/5hkRCaH.jpg :nws:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

drat it, that should have been in Military Members.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This is why we fail.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

What? That does no harm to the jet nor took up that much time. What a bunch of idiots.

Click for hhhuuuugggeeeee!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

God the F-15 is the epitome of sexy jet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

God the F-15 is the epitome of sexy jet.

The F-15E, sure. The C model is ehhh because gently caress fighters.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My jet was a D model. Tell you what it was sweet strapping a noner into the backseat every Friday for an incentive flight.

Oh and the loving academy cadet that puked in my backseat :mad:

Content:

I love this picture it's my wallpaper on my computer. I'm the dude with the wands.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Of course they did.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The F-15D I rode in was 79-0007.

Edit: I found my pictures that showed the correct number...which I still hosed up.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 9, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15D/1300187/L/&sid=c14b3a3ef0fd02df407bc0aa1b421673

Wouldn't happen to be you in this, would it? :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, but that's the jet. My ride was about 5 months prior to that pic.

I lived in these apartments.

Good times.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Legit thought that was a lake that someone had a NO STEP reef put in for about .5 seconds.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

My son's shorts are apparently mil-spec

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
26th Marine Expeditionary Unit in Jordan. Exercise Eager Lion 2013.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Omi-Polari posted:

26th Marine Expeditionary Unit in Jordan. Exercise Eager Lion 2013.

well that sure looks like fun.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

i would be hella proud to be in deathforce 9000

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Better than being in The Marines

movax
Aug 30, 2008

20 C-130s and this is the best picture they take :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

movax posted:

I see that and think of how awful it must've been for all of those maintainers and aircrew guys. Congratulations, Dyess leadership. You single-handedly ruined the day for hundreds of people.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd like to see them in a big line. First front to back, then left to right, then up and down.
Or like a big V or ^.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

movax posted:

That photo sucks poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Meanwhile I have to write 4 paragraphs explaining to AFSPC why the mission director needs to go TDY to direct a mission paid for by customer funds

movax
Aug 30, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I see that and think of how awful it must've been for all of those maintainers and aircrew guys. Congratulations, Dyess leadership. You single-handedly ruined the day for hundreds of people.

I gather it's a fuckload of work / organization to get 20 planes to sortie simultaneously? I figured C-130s would at least be near the bottom of the hours of maintenance per flight hour scale.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

'Sea Demons' is gay, I'd rather be in Lord Neptune's Misguided Aquamen or something

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
I would never ever be ashamed to say I was in Deathforce 9000.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

'Sea Demons' is gay, I'd rather be in Lord Neptune's Misguided Aquamen or something

When is the Navy not gay, though?

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

ghost bones posted:

This argument was settled by the Village People decades ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ghost bones posted:

When they're underway, duh.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

My favorite story is when a C-5 base tried this and singlehandedly wrecked every last one of their maintenance metrics for the next month.

Also when AMC tried a week long "surge" involving mostly C-5s and actually moved less cargo during the "surge" than they would've if they had just kept flying normal ops.

Because FRED breaks, it's what FRED does.

movax posted:

I gather it's a fuckload of work / organization to get 20 planes to sortie simultaneously? I figured C-130s would at least be near the bottom of the hours of maintenance per flight hour scale.

Dyess's PAA/PAI is around 30...I guarantee you that in order to make that photo happen there were dudes working 12s to get a couple of hard broke jets greened up in order to make the photo time, and given that it was a photo op I guarantee that their leadership directed that every aircraft that wasn't a flyer was on the schedule as a spare, meaning that the mx crews got to prep the rest of those aircraft just like they were flyers.

Not as bad when a fighter unit wants to do poo poo like that though, they have to prep for weeks in advance in order to green up the cann bird(s) as well as whatever other hard broke jets they have.

And the end result is always a great picture, which unfortunately I cannot find...basically it's this picture (click for huge):

Except every aircraft has a bubble above it with the maintenance discrepancy that it was probably coming back with..."Code 3, ECM Fail," "Air Abort, Oil Pressure Warning Light," "IFE, Engine Fire," "Ground Abort, Hydro Leak," "Code 2, HUD," "Code 3, Radar," etc.

e: Forgot the one that will of course happen, "Code 3, Over-G."

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Waiting to leave from Manas they tried to take us out on a C5 twice. Something different went wrong both times. Then they got us on a C17 and accused us of stealing some huge pin so we got off and came back the next day.

• Locked thread