Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always associated it with Happy Hardcore and Dance Dance Revolution.

Edit: VVV Benedictine and brandy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Well I guess I'm done with the genre! What a shame bands can't be bothered to do more than BnB stuff.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bed and Breakfasts are horrible with OOTB synth patches.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'll admit that I've never done much more than dick around with some oscillators and such, but isn't making your own sounds rather than just using presets kind of part of the point?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I'll admit that I've never done much more than dick around with some oscillators and such, but isn't making your own sounds rather than just using presets kind of part of the point?

Depends entirely on what you want to do, of course. And even if you do usually make your own sounds, it's alright to use a familiar sound for some specific purpose, for the cheese factor or just because it suits your needs or whatever once in a while, right?

I mean people don't usually don't go around complaining about 808 samples or stuff like that.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

spider_ross.avi posted:

Didn't even need to watch the video to know which sound you were talking about. It is everywhere and you will never escape it.

$5 says the patch is named "Trifactor", "Trident", or simply "TranceLead_01".

I accept PayPal.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

The Cleaner posted:

$5 says the patch is named "Trifactor", "Trident", or simply "TranceLead_01".

I accept PayPal.

I got money on EuroLead02

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm hella nazi about programming everything from an init patch. Helps that all my synths have terrible presets anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So as long as we're playing "What's that oontz oontz thing called," is there a term for the kind of "harsh EBM" lyrics where the singer sounds like he's already blown his voice out screaming all night, and also like he's about to throw up? Like this. And can it stop? Ever?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I think that they lean more towards a heavier Depeche Mode than outright industrial, but I'm freaking out over Legend's album Fearless. It's one of the best things I've heard in a long time. Maybe it's because my favorite Depeche Mode album is Ultra, but man, what a great album. Apparently their concerts are amazing since everyone I know who's seen them speaks very highly of the show.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I hesitate to call their concert, as a concert, amazing. But their music stands out live.

edit: There was nothing particularly impressive about their show really, though I suppose they had a bit of an approaching-SWANS-like-intensity. Just they sounded pretty great and unique. And it stood out considering most people weren't familiar with the material.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Halloween Jack posted:

So as long as we're playing "What's that oontz oontz thing called," is there a term for the kind of "harsh EBM" lyrics where the singer sounds like he's already blown his voice out screaming all night, and also like he's about to throw up? Like this. And can it stop? Ever?

It's called bad technique. Poor vocal style is usually so drenched in effects and pitch-shifting (Suicide Commando et al) that it's not noticeable, but the sound in this song is usually what's hiding under all the filters.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Happy Independence Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dFmxqpu90Y

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ashbury Heights is fervently back to making music. Also on the fourth female lead.

quote:

After so many months of struggling there's finally light at the end of the tunnel. Inspiration has been striking in a big way the last few weeks and right now it seems like we might actually release TWO new albums. There are still technical and financial issues to solve but I'm hoping to run a successful pledgemusic-campaign this autumn to solve that.

During this very warm summer Ashbury Heights has also once again gone through some lineup changes and I'm aware that I must seem like the most impossible man in the world to work with. I'm however convinced that these issues too can be solved. The important thing afterall is the music and the love we all share for it.

We will launch a pledge-campaign and give you news about the new album(s) together with some new promo pics in the weeks to come. We will also be doing a remix for a OoL stablemate soon which will mark the first recorded material with the new lineup.

Given time, patience and enough energy to power a hadron collider nothing is impossible.

quote:

Ashbury Heights new album will be called Chinese Dem... I mean "The Looking Glass Society".

We're done with the basic tunes and are currently writing lyrics and it sounds awesome so far :D

quote:

I would like to clarify that Ashbury Heights does indeed have a FOURTH female protagonist in it's midst. During the sessions in Kalmar this year Jenny Forsberg got very sick and couldn't go on recording. It was decided that she wouldn't go on as a member of the band since her ability to perform couldn't be guaranteed. Jenny was a very gifted artist and it was a great loss that her talents couldn't benefit the band.

However the show must go on and the bands newest member will be featured on the upcoming album "The Looking Glass Society". The reveal of her identity will be in conjunction with our first release since 2010.

It's been three turbulent years for the band but I hope that the recent months of stability and constant creativity will prove to be the norm from now on.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ashbury Heights is right there with Nightwish for hilarious band drama. :popcorn:

Baby Sathanas posted:

New Funker Vogt song is a little bit less self-parodying

Alright which goon wrote this video script? FV in general + the "NEVER SURRENDER" at the end makes me think of some basement dweller tearfully singing to Cruxshadows and polishing a katana.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think it looks a lot worse than it really is. And I don't think it's all self-inflicted. That stuff with the record-label may have been a bit of immaturity, but it's theoretically possible they were promised a bunch of (ridiculous to anyone realistic) poo poo that just wasn't delivered. He sounds more mature now. We'll see.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Drama or not, the prospect of more Ashbury Heights is pretty appealing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm hooked on the new Distorted Memory. It's techno :black101:

I heard about it on ID:YD, because obviously.

quote:

The Eternal Return isn’t all subtle and funereal pacing and production; at least half of its tunes are upbeat kickers with plenty of floor potential. I’m getting a downright Animotion-esque feel from the stabby organ lead on “Back Away” which put a grin on my face the moment I heard it. While “Back Away” is handily the most infectious, “disco night in a Castlevania level” track, a sense of dancey immediacy is maintained more or less throughout the record. It’s populated with rounded, almost bouncy leads and beats, again, supplanting the more caustic and harsh elements of earlier Distorted Memory work.

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2013/06/distorted-memory-the-eternal-return/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9hnVpZAJMw

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 8, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Omi-Polari posted:

So I'm hooked on the new Distorted Memory. It's techno :black101:

I heard about it on ID:YD, because obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9hnVpZAJMw

Holy cow that's great. Thanks for the link.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
You can stream the new FLA album on Revolver for I don't know how long. It's really good IMO.

[edit]

I was curious and apparently I'm the top poster in this thread? :confused: I guess all that complaining about Funker Vogt builds up.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 8, 2013

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hopefully it's ok to pimp out a friend's debut album.

The Aesthetics of Failure by The .invalid

If you're in the UK, you might have caught him doing a support slot recently, or seen him as part of Cease2Exist at Resistanz, but he's now released his debut album and (in my biased opinion) it's pretty awesome. There's samples on the link and it's well worth giving them a try, since his sound is kinda hard to describe with aspects of EBM, futurepop and terror EBM all thrown in there.
Hey, I was just about to pimp out your friend's album without being his friend. Read an interview over at Brutal Resonance and listened to his demo and the samples of the new album. Very impressed. Definitely one to watch.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Went to see Aesthetic Perfection last night. I'd seen them at Resistanz, but this was in a much smaller venue where the stage was just a very slightly raised area of the floor and wasn't set back at all, so it was pretty drat intimate. Goddrat Daniel Graves is a charismatic frontman up close!

It wasn't too well attended unfortunately, but they put on a great show regardless, and he engaged with the crowd a hell of a lot, and really got people going. Definitely worth seeing live if you get the chance!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wish he'd tour with Necessary Response stuff, or just play it anyway as Aesthetic Perfection since they seem to be dove-tailing anyway.

In other news, how awesome is Necessary Response as a scene troll name?

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Echogenetic sounds pretty good. Nothing really stands out after a few listens, but it certainly wasn't a disappointment like IED.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

In other news, how awesome is Necessary Response as a scene troll name?

Was just thinking they should do a tour with Imperative Reaction. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Cleaner posted:

Was just thinking they should do a tour with Imperative Reaction. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have.

As far as I know, the band name "Necessary Response" is because Daniel Graves was part of IR's touring lineup a few years ago.

Don't know if the two groups ever actually toured "together" though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

One of IR's (I think former) touring members used to post on SA regularly, but I haven't seen him post in ages. Don't remember his name here exactly. I think it was some variation on "dookie".

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

SacrificialGoat posted:

Echogenetic sounds pretty good. Nothing really stands out after a few listens, but it certainly wasn't a disappointment like IED.
At first listen, I didn't really know what to think other than, "Yeah, this sounds pretty good." Now that I've had the chance to listen to it a few times, it's grown on me more, but it still doesn't replace albums like Civilization or Hard Wired as my favorites.

It still makes me excited to see them live next month, at least.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Chumbawamba's Tubthumber album is the only angry industrial pop ska album I can think exists. Are there any other bands that have put out similar to this? I've been listening to it for 16 years now and it never gets old, but I've always wondered if I've missed something.

They are not an industrial band, but all the elements of this album and the tone easily falls under the umbrella of today's definition of the genre. I actually feel it is the embodiment of industrial rock and come to think of it, I've actually listened to this album more than I have most of the essential industrial rock albums of the mid 90s. It is a frustrated semi nihilistic snide sarcastic look a social climate where you're getting hosed by the government, life, whatever, turn to drugs. Let's get drunk.

Quirk fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 11, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

it still doesn't replace albums like Civilization or Hard Wired as my favorites.

True, though I am hearing alot of elements from Civilization, Artificial Soldier and even Epitaph.

Although nothing stands out nor is particularly catchy, the whole album sounds great. It's also surprisingly experimental, dark, and doesn't focus on trendy sounds (wub-wub-waaah) as much as I thought it would.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
One of the bands that I've always loved since Back In The Day is Flesh Field, and it makes me really sad that the band split up. I love the male/female vocals and the slightly video-gamey-without-being-chiptune synth sound

Are there any bands around at the moment who have a remotely similar sound?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Two more copies of the Legend album on vinyl if anyone is interested...

http://www.stormingthebase.com/legend-fearless-vinyl-cd/

I balked at first when I saw them post that they'd secured nine more copies, but I listened to it again today, and decided I'm obsessed.

edit: That said, the bass sounds like they had Assemblage 23 - Failure-like issues in mastering. It's intense, but might actually be over-the-top. This isn't a complaint!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 18, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Death in June is touring the U.S. haha oh man. Hoo hee. Hrm.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

Death in June is touring the U.S. haha oh man. Hoo hee. Hrm.

Here and I was wondering which US cities had active antifa scenes.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Here and I was wondering which US cities had active antifa scenes.
I've tried reaching out to my local one but it's just an email address and I don't think it's active any more.

I might hit up the lefty infoshop, though. They'd probably know.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 18, 2013

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Didn't the 'antifascists' make death threats to the club owner and say they were going to firebomb the place to shut down the last American shows? Because that is some Grade A irony.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 19, 2013

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Quirk posted:

Chumbawamba's Tubthumber album is the only angry industrial pop ska album I can think exists. Are there any other bands that have put out similar to this? I've been listening to it for 16 years now and it never gets old, but I've always wondered if I've missed something.

They are not an industrial band, but all the elements of this album and the tone easily falls under the umbrella of today's definition of the genre. I actually feel it is the embodiment of industrial rock and come to think of it, I've actually listened to this album more than I have most of the essential industrial rock albums of the mid 90s. It is a frustrated semi nihilistic snide sarcastic look a social climate where you're getting hosed by the government, life, whatever, turn to drugs. Let's get drunk.

I'd love to know this also, I love Chumbawamba to death, even if they did go off the deep end toward the end (but who can blame them, they've been doing their thing since the 80s). An industrial cover album of the best Chumbawamba songs would blow my mind.

Always been partial to the Mary, Mary Stigmata remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MOxsvx-HVU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You know what Chumbawamba own at? Folk music. :colbert:

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Thanks so much for this thread man. Just discovered me some new artists. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Apparently the limited edition of the new Covenant album has a bonus CD with one 76-minute track with lyrics and vocals by a Swedish poet.

:what:

e: I mean it sounds cool but pretty surprising nonetheless.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 23, 2013