Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

Yeah, the quests and such are awesome and very well done but I'm not really digging the setting. I don't really have any desire to explore like I did in FO3 unless I'm heading to a quest or something. The Capital Wasteland is one of the coolest environments I've ever encountered in a video game. I guess it helps that I used to live there too.

And I lost interest in the Capitol Wasteland after my first playthrough because none of the specifics of the setting makes any god damned sense, whereas the only reason I'm not replaying F:NV instead of Bully and Psychonauts is because I would want all of the DLC and it takes forever to download on my connection.

It's really a "Your Mileage May Vary" type thing, man. You liked FO3, and that's cool. I thought the subway tunnels and the blown-out cement areas got boring after the first three hours of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I genuinely love poking around the pre-war ruins of Fallout 3 (even if it makes no sense that the tender scene of two skeletons holding each other on the bed, a scene untouched by the years happens to be next door from the house with twenty raiders living in it) but all of the improved mechanics make stuff like combat feel even worse.

No ammo types? No DT system, which means high level enemies just have 20,000 HP instead? Literally one SMG and two shotguns (well, three if you get the Point Lookout DLC) in the entire game? loving four unarmed weapons in the entire game, including all four DLCs? Hope you like the deathclaw gauntlet because that poo poo's never coming off after you get it about four hours in.

It's funny, now that I've played the originals it seems like Bethesda made a lot of the same mistakes that Fallout 2 fixes from Fallout 1; extremely limited weapon selection, an Energy Weapons skill that's impossible to use early on and mandatory near the endgame, completely useless skills that are essentially a trap (Big Guns and Speech in Fallout 3, Big Guns, Throwing Weapons, Steal and Gambling in Fallout) companions that are difficult to interact with and barely have personalities, etc. Except Fallout is excused by its small budget, the time it was made and the fact that it was a pioneer in its genre. Fallout 3 is just kind of incompetent.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 10, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I did feel like an urban warzone like the dC ruins was sorely missing in New Vegas. There's really nowhere in the Mojave where you immediately head to when you get a new weapon to test it out. Fiend territory I guess. Of course, Lonesome Road scratched that itch and then some.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I prefer the western setting, and in broader terms F:NVs focus on different factions fighting over the destroyed world, rather than just being some random guy bopping around really lovely places scrounging century-old boxes of cereal like you did in FO3 (though there was a fair amount of that in F:NV, admittedly).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

Hope you like the deathclaw gauntlet because that poo poo's never coming off after you get it about four hours in.

Four whole hours? Man, quicker than that... And I switched back and forth between the DG and Fisto through my entire last Unarmed run. Power Fists feel so satisfyingly powerful.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

2house2fly posted:

I did feel like an urban warzone like the dC ruins was sorely missing in New Vegas. There's really nowhere in the Mojave where you immediately head to when you get a new weapon to test it out. Fiend territory I guess. Of course, Lonesome Road scratched that itch and then some.

Yeah, despite some of the initial complaints the New Vegas DLC even trumps Fallout 3's stronger points.

Feeling like a powerless scavenger trapped in a hostile world, counting every bullet? Dead Money. Just want to roam around exploring and killing poo poo? Honest Hearts and Old World Blues have you covered, in both wilderness and super-science flavors. Missing the post-apocalyptic, or the feeling that your character's story is personal? Lonesome Road hits both notes.

God, I love New Vegas :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like there's a lot of rose tinted glasses for people who love Fallout 3. I went back to play it recently, once as just the game alone and another time I tried doing Tale of Two Cities. It hasn't aged well, now that Fallout: New Vegas exists.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah, the gameplay added in New Vegas really makes FO3 seem outdated in that department. The quests and faction wars are what keeps me going in New Vegas. I haven't tried the DLC yet but I'm about to go start Old World Blues.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I tried playing Fallout 3 again recently. I knew that I liked New Vegas more, but thought I'd give it a shot to check out some mods.

I couldn't get past an hour. I know this is subjective. People are talking about the settings.

But I also didn't know that I liked Westerns until Fallout: New Vegas. And the game managed to introduce me to what's now one of my favorite genres.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The weird thing is that I do like westerns, Red Dead Redemption is one of my all time favorite games. Hard to pin point what it is exactly I don't like about it in New Vegas. I guess I just like my westerns set in the Old West rather than in a post apocalyptic future.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The setting doesn't matter for me, it's the story and the characters that bring me back again and again. I do like me some westerns though.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Fallout 3's step away from westerns was more of a regression than anything. Fallout 2 wasn't quite there yet but it had lots of elements, like Redding which is basically a gold rush town and the settlements outside of NCR control basically being frontier settlements. Van Buren would have examined the western element even more, with the NCR building loving rail-roads and expanding into the frontier. And I think, at least if the setting stays in the west (which it probably won't under Bethesda), the games are inevitably going to continue in that direction unless the NCR gets wiped out or something. I can respect how people can prefer Fallout 3's direction though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mustang posted:

The weird thing is that I do like westerns, Red Dead Redemption is one of my all time favorite games. Hard to pin point what it is exactly I don't like about it in New Vegas. I guess I just like my westerns set in the Old West rather than in a post apocalyptic future.
I felt the same way first time I played it; I've never been much of a fan of Westerns and was turned off by how heavy New Vegas played that card at the beginning. It grew on me eventually, probably because of the post-apocalyptic thing rather than despite it. I do love me a laser rifle.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

the games are inevitably going to continue in that direction unless the NCR gets wiped out or something.

I had been wondering to myself for quite a while as to what Fallout was going to do in the next few years, considering so far they've proven unwilling to retread old ground and make games set earlier in the time line, but this sounds like both a plausible answer and an awesome one.

Bring on the Laser Cowboys Sci Fi Western I say.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I felt the same way first time I played it; I've never been much of a fan of Westerns and was turned off by how heavy New Vegas played that card at the beginning. It grew on me eventually, probably because of the post-apocalyptic thing rather than despite it. I do love me a laser rifle.

After I finished Fallout 3, I started NV pretty much immediately. I was turned off by the small-town western feel, the way health items didn't recover HP immediately, and some other small things. I turned it off right when I hit Primm.

I tried it a few months later, pushed through some more, and suddenly the game opened up into this amazing world! Really I think the game up through Primm is the hardest part, then suddenly you're out in the lake bed area and there's the statues up the hill and the ants and the Legion in Nipton, and I'm running into whichever of those two NPCs survived their star bottle cap fight...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CheeseThief posted:

I had been wondering to myself for quite a while as to what Fallout was going to do in the next few years, considering so far they've proven unwilling to retread old ground and make games set earlier in the time line, but this sounds like both a plausible answer and an awesome one.

Bring on the Laser Cowboys Sci Fi Western I say.

This is something I really, really hope they do. There are dozens of games about being a scavenger in a post-apocalyptic wilderness (STALKER is basically a better version of FO3 minus the RPG elements) but a Western with automatic weapons and mutants is really, really neat, especially if they keep up the interesting factional and ideological conflicts.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

This is something I really, really hope they do. There are dozens of games about being a scavenger in a post-apocalyptic wilderness (STALKER is basically a better version of FO3 minus the RPG elements) but a Western with automatic weapons and mutants is really, really neat, especially if they keep up the interesting factional and ideological conflicts.

I was disappointed to hear an Obsidian developer(maybe Avellone) they that Fallout had gotten to far from its post apocalyptic roots. Personally, I'm not THAT interested in post-apocalyptic settings in and of themselves; I've loved Fallout since the first, but not for everything being bombed out. Secondly, post-apocalypse is nearly as overdone as elves and wizard fantasy these days.

What I loved about Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas's setting is that there was serious thought put into what the world would be like some time after the bomb's fell, unlike Fallout 3. I thought it was a lot more interesting than yet another Mad Max redux. And I'd be perfectly happy playing a game where society has pretty much been reinvented after the fall.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah personally the only reason I can come up with for still enjoying FO3 is how familiar I am with the setting in real life, living fairly close to DC. I've walked those streets and been through those subways, I've seen those buildings and monuments. It creates a personal connection that I don't often find in most video games. I definitely prefer New Vegas though, I love the wide open frontier feel of it and the western theme really works well. I'd never argue that FO3 is better, but I can definitely see how DC natives especially can still appreciate it despite it's flaws.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Does anybody know why the brightness setting in the options might not work? I can change the setting freely, but it has absolutely no visible effect in game, or in the menus, anywhere. I'm running the game on Windows 8 and AMD Radeon 7870.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
FO3 probably appeals more to people who prefer a relatively fresh post-apolcalyptic setting. Capital Wasteland feels like the bombs fell a lot more recently than in the Mojave, even though there're only a few years apart. There's also the added allure of an eerie, empty metropolis, where the fall of civilisation is much more tangible and pronounced. I find this environment much more appealing than NV. It also feels a lot more like it's you, alone, against this harsh, empty environment. I remember spending literally hours wondering around the map, doing absolutely nothing and just taking all this in. The ambient soundtrack made the experience that much more visceral. In NV on the other hand, the world seems much more alive. And then there's Dogmeat. It's jut not the same without him.

That's pretty much it as far as I'm concerned. It's just the feel of the place. NV has, hands down, much better gameplay and I've spent twice as many hours in NV than in FO3, but it's FO3 that I seemingly return to every time I want my Fallout fix.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
This is how the game looks like for me (hidden supply cave):

is this supposed to look like this?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

libersyber posted:

This is how the game looks like for me (hidden supply cave):

What part of "Hidden" don't you understand?

Real talk though game shouldn't be that dark.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

libersyber posted:

Are you using any mods like Fellout? Some of the graphics overhauls make dark areas really dark. If not, I'd just adjust the brightness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nevada Skies also makes dark areas extremely dark, IIRC. Good combo with PNV, since it makes finding armor with night-vision a really big deal.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Does the brightness slider in the in-game display menu should have any effect on the game or is just for show? The game looks exactly the same for me no matter how I set the slider.

edit:
I had the Western Skies mod, disabled it and it's wee bit brighter right now outside, but the brightness slider still doesn't work.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Are you playing fullscreen or windowed?

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009

Phimose Knight posted:

Are you playing fullscreen or windowed?

fullscreen

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Not that it'll be relevant for another year and a half, but:

Is there any way in hell FNV can get hacked in Oculus Rift support for when the 1080 consumer version drops? Because Skyrim can. Is anyone even thinking of this? Because I'm thinking of this. I'm thinking of it HARD.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

mackintosh posted:

FO3 probably appeals more to people who prefer a relatively fresh post-apolcalyptic setting. Capital Wasteland feels like the bombs fell a lot more recently than in the Mojave, even though there're only a few years apart. There's also the added allure of an eerie, empty metropolis, where the fall of civilisation is much more tangible and pronounced. I find this environment much more appealing than NV. It also feels a lot more like it's you, alone, against this harsh, empty environment. I remember spending literally hours wondering around the map, doing absolutely nothing and just taking all this in. The ambient soundtrack made the experience that much more visceral. In NV on the other hand, the world seems much more alive. And then there's Dogmeat. It's jut not the same without him.

That's pretty much it as far as I'm concerned. It's just the feel of the place. NV has, hands down, much better gameplay and I've spent twice as many hours in NV than in FO3, but it's FO3 that I seemingly return to every time I want my Fallout fix.

I don't know, whenever I tried to just wander around I got sidetracked by random houses to steal Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs from their refrigerators in the vain hope of a stimpak.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

prometheusbound2 posted:

I was disappointed to hear an Obsidian developer(maybe Avellone) they that Fallout had gotten to far from its post apocalyptic roots. Personally, I'm not THAT interested in post-apocalyptic settings in and of themselves; I've loved Fallout since the first, but not for everything being bombed out. Secondly, post-apocalypse is nearly as overdone as elves and wizard fantasy these days.

What I loved about Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas's setting is that there was serious thought put into what the world would be like some time after the bomb's fell, unlike Fallout 3. I thought it was a lot more interesting than yet another Mad Max redux. And I'd be perfectly happy playing a game where society has pretty much been reinvented after the fall.

That's basically how I feel too. The Fallout series isn't interesting to me because it's post-apoc like say Threads, it's interesting because it's about where people have gone since that catastrophe. In 1 you already had a nascent meta-civilization of somewhat isolated small-ish towns and city states (presumably more than we saw in game too), some of which had developed/reclaimed enough supporting infrastructure that new class societies were developing (the politics of The Hub are actually pretty interesting since the Water Merchants technically have all the power, but have been forced to accept that they can only exercise a fraction of that power unless they're willing to risk mobs storming their compound). In 2, you see that sort of stratified social structure become commonplace, enough so that places like New Reno as we know it can exist. By New Vegas you've got the NCR running trains out to Nevada, maintaining a (likely small) fleet of Vertibirds, all kinds of stuff. It's more than just an exploration of what people are like under extreme stress, it's about the repercussions of how those people dealt with their situations decades after the fact (also there will be more people around decades after the fact). It's a surprisingly positive atmosphere for a cynical, post-apocalyptic setting, which I like.

It also helps that I'm from the west coast and have family that I periodically visit in California, so I feel more connected to the NCR than to anything in the ruins of DC. :v:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You could always just beat Mick/Ralph to death and use the console to give you the PimpBoy.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012
Because I'm a huge :spergin:, I think Fallout 3 has one thing on New Vegas: better min-maxing potential. You can complete every quest, find every special/unique item, get everyone to like you, do everything in the game and not be locked out of content. In New Vegas, you have to plot a course through the game that's pretty strict (have to do Lonesome Road before delivering the chip/killing Benny, have to leave enough Legion quests open to get at least Liked to get the Lucky Shades but do the NCR sides of most so you can erase the Legion infamy you get for them, have to make it to the New Vegas medical clinic before I think level 6 to max your skills, etc.) and even then enough quests conflict with each other, like the Goodsprings quests, that you can never do everything. Someone will always dislike you, something will always be locked to you. Hell, the end questlines are exactly that: you can't advance most of them past a certain point without failing the others immediately, forcing you down one and only one path and locking the others.

Also, the perk Almost Perfect makes a huge difference too. Instead of having to sacrifice parts of your character's stats (Charisma) to get other ones (Intelligence) high enough to max your skills in New Vegas, FO3 just needs you to max Intelligence at creation and then play the game how you want to play it. Almost Perfect and the bobbleheads will take care of the rest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, but gently caress that, that's one reason I like FNV more. I can understand why people wouldn't (there's a post in the P:E thread about it) but having consequences actually makes choices matter. I like not being able to get 100 in all skills and 10 in all SPECIAL and get every gun and do everything with everyone liking me. That's...dumb. You could just accept that getting the Lucky Shades are part of working with the Legion and not totally flip out about it. Even better, the fact that you can still get the shades if you really want says something rather than "you'll never be locked out of content ever" which I think is boring.

And that attitude is why FO1, 2, and FNV are the actual, comprehensive series, while FO3 belongs in a spin-off with an attitude that is very similar to the rest of their recent games, which is to provide no limits and not let anyone important die ever. (And why people who were introduced to the series at FO3 think FO3 is better, because they bought it based on it being made by the makers of Oblivion)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Fat Swordsman posted:

Because I'm a huge :spergin:, I think Fallout 3 has one thing on New Vegas: better min-maxing potential.

What you've described isn't min/maxing. It's just maxing. "I can't do all the quests all the ways" isn't min/maxing either.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

You can complete every quest, find every special/unique item, get everyone to like you, do everything in the game and not be locked out of content.

That's Bethesda in a nutshell.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

get everyone to like you,

In a game where your choices are supposed to have consequences, this shouldn't be possible.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I have to say that I'll never understand why people want Fallout to be less like Fallout and more like The Road. Fallout has never been about that scarce, barren wasteland survival theme. The Vault Dweller had it tough not so much because of the inherent danger and scarcity of the wasteland but because he grew up in a self contained box that supplied the inhabitants with everything they needed. Even then he didn't have it too hard once he got to LA and there was more than enough food, drugs and ammo to go around. Fallout 2, of course, had cities like NCR, Vault City, and San Francisco. New Vegas is more of the same. Fallout 3 is really the only game that's deviated from that.

I think that's why the descriptor on the front of the original Fallout box is apt; it doesn't say "post-apocalyptic." It says "post-nuclear." The war happened and blew up the world, but that didn't mean society and civilization was over. Humanity kept truckin'.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Playing Old World Blues at the moment. It's a great moment when you walk out of a stand-off with 6 lobotomites with shotguns and flamethrowers then you're strolling along waiting for the stimpaks to heal you all the way, when suddenly 2 more dudes materialize out of nowhere in front of you and instantly kill you.

Everything else is pretty good though. I guess.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Believe me, I :spergin: on every playthrough of FNV, but that's because the game actually rewards it by making optimal choices count (especially with jsawyer). That said...

have to leave enough Legion quests open to get at least Liked to get the Lucky Shades but do the NCR sides of most so you can erase the Legion infamy you get for them,

Just use a stealth boy to pickpocket dog tags at a few big NCR bases and you never have to worry about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phimose Knight posted:

Playing Old World Blues at the moment. It's a great moment when you walk out of a stand-off with 6 lobotomites with shotguns and flamethrowers then you're strolling along waiting for the stimpaks to heal you all the way, when suddenly 2 more dudes materialize out of nowhere in front of you and instantly kill you.

Everything else is pretty good though. I guess.

Getting Puce Moose's OWB Reduced Spawns mod made my last visit to the Big MT so much more bearable. Still crashed like a motherfucker on half the cell changes though.