Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Anaranjado posted:

depends on whether you're looking for something "edgy" or something catchy.

Just listen to both, I'm sure they're both on spotify. For what it's worth, the second track on Jay's album is better then anything on Yeezus.

look at this opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

AwwJeah posted:

Everything Vernon had to say in that article was gold.

I hope I get the call one day :(
Justin Vernon completely kills it on this album, and Kanye knows how to use Vernon better with his music than Vernon knows how to use himself in Bon Iver. I hope they collaborate forever.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 5, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mutation posted:

Justin Vernon completely kills it on this album, and Kanye knows how to use Vernon better with his music than Vernon knows how to use himself in Bon Iver. I hope they collaborate forever.

Bon Iver loving rules. It's completely different from Kanye's music in a lot of ways, and somehow Justin's voice works incredibly well with Kanye's stuff despite also working in his own stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y692d0GPQw

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Any news on the supposed Black Skinhead music video? Wasn't it supposed to be released last thursday, or was that the date for the single to be released on the radio?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can of Cloud posted:

Any news on the supposed Black Skinhead music video? Wasn't it supposed to be released last thursday, or was that the date for the single to be released on the radio?

http://pitchfork.com/news/51376-video-kanye-west-black-skinhead/

Here's the video. It's an animated buff Kanye jumping around.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
lol that's some Gary's Mod poo poo right there.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
God dammit that's funny.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
Here's some recent old-sounding Kanye for anyone that didn't hear it off that RZA soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INuOO8wWsSM

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
what in the hell

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
i have no idea what to think of the black skinhead video but i'm absolutely sure that's the entire point

i get the impression that it's all part of a larger whole, but who even knows anymore with this guy. maybe he just got his hands on a mo-cap rig and had a little fun on his 4th of july weekend

one things for sure, whether you think he's good or bad, ye knows how to get you talking about him

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 9, 2013

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Just saw the leaked version of the video. WHAT THE gently caress?!! :roflolmao:

Seriously .... wtf? ha

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but maybe the video is a pre-render/animated storyboard for the actual video.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Ultraklystron posted:

It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but maybe the video is a pre-render/animated storyboard for the actual video.

I don't know how or why I keep making excuses for this dude, or what's off in my brain, but... I like it. Goofy physics and buff torso and all. Big into the sudden flashes of monster texture.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Apparently the Black Skinhead video that leaked isn't the official video after all. Kanye is talking about it on Twitter.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://pitchfork.com/news/51376-video-kanye-west-black-skinhead/?utm_campaign=search&utm_medium=site&utm_source=search-ac

Yeah it's an unfinished video.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I'm more excited that Black Skinhead is officially stylized as "BLKKK SKKKN HD". Fantastic.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Brett824 posted:

I'm more excited that Black Skinhead is officially stylized as "BLKKK SKKKN HD". Fantastic.

it's as officially stylized as the tweets he made after his snl performance calling it BLK SKN HEAD - which is to say that it's Kanye On Twitter Nothing Is Official

(also "this leaked early" is the equivalent of soulja boy saying "i was hacked")

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Can of Cloud posted:

So, those who have listened to both Yeezy and Hova's new albums. Which is better? Yeezus or Magna Carta ... Holy Grail?

Magna Carta isn't bad, but it definitely isn't great either. It's an overall decently entertaining album with some really entertaining points, but some of the poo poo 'Hova says on it kind of ruins it for me.

Yeezus shows that Kanye understands that his flaws and demons (whether real or perceived) are an integral part of who he is and have artistic resonance. He understands that he's hosed up, that people think he's hosed up, that his fame and wealth may have had some hand in that, and he sort of wallows in it for everyone to see.

Magna Carta shows that Jay-Z understands that he's really rich and that he's made other people rich and therefore he doesn't really have any flaws. He might develop flaws in the future, and he's afraid of that, but those would purely be the result of other peoples' actions or of people "pushing [him] too far." Fame and wealth can be damaging, but that's only something that happens to other people because he's smart enough to know better. Oh, and by the way, he really loves his Modern art collection.

On the last track of the album ("Nickels and Dimes"), he calls out Harry Belafonte (a man who risked- and, in many ways, sacrificed- a very successful musical career in order to become one of the figureheads of the Civil Rights Movement and who has infamously called 'Hova out on his relative social inactivity despite being one of the wealthiest and most influential African Americans of his time- like only giving $6000 to charity in one year despite being worth half a billion- and accused him of only publicly supporting gay marriage after President Obama made it "safe" to do so) and responds to his criticism by basically saying "I help create the careers of other talented artists and make them rich and that's how I give back" before namedropping Hublot for like the 30th time (seriously, does he own a stake in that company?) for like absolutely no reason.

It's a level of "missing the point" that's so borderline-offensive that it totally stands out given just how deliberately inoffensive the rest of the album is. It's blatantly obvious just how earnest (and out of touch) 'Hova is in delivering that line. He might as well have said "let them eat cake."

TLDR: I think Yeezus is a work of art, but I don't think Magna Carta is even in the same league. Also, most of the tracks are kinda forgettable.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

New to the thread, and really just now (in my early 30s) starting to explore hip-hop and rap. I was always a somewhat casual listener, often put off by the attitudes, egos, and violence of the medium. I've grown to embrace some of it, and excuse some of it, and still reject other parts.

I just wanted to say that this post very much clicked with how I saw both albums. When I fist listened to Magna Carta I liked it (though I hated the opening track) - it was catchy and the groove was there. By the third time through I wanted to shelve the thing. There seems something very wrong about modern rappers (really any modern music artist) doing nothing but self-fellating themselves. I know that's part of the "rap game", but it seems even most of them have shaken out of it - Eminem, Kanye, Talib, and on and on. They serve as a really good mouthpiece for what's wrong with ourselves as much as them. I got none of that from Magna Carta. It's so delusionally self-unaware that it's not worth listening to for me.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't see any qualities mentioned there that MBDTF didn't do better. Yeezus feels crass and undercooked next to that album. It's not bad, it's obviously a statement album, I just think it's better as a concept than something to actually listen to. There was no time spent mitigating the negative aspects of trying to RAW his way through an album and the lyrics are Lil Wayne levels of unnappealing in spots.

There's a lot of parallels to Daft Punks Human After All, except he's not as dumb as they were and did some raw rear end interviews to give it a bit of context.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't see any qualities mentioned there that MBDTF didn't do better. Yeezus feels crass and undercooked next to that album. It's not bad, it's obviously a statement album, I just think it's better as a concept than something to actually listen to. There was no time spent mitigating the negative aspects of trying to RAW his way through an album and the lyrics are Lil Wayne levels of unnappealing in spots.

There's a lot of parallels to Daft Punks Human After All, except he's not as dumb as they were and did some raw rear end interviews to give it a bit of context.

Agreed on all accounts. I think the parallels (and contrasts) between RAM and Yeezus are extremely interesting. It is kinda weird that Yeezus was obviously a bit of a rush job meanwhile RAM was in production for multiple years. Both albums are flawed beauties in my book but overall ill probably come back to RAM more as, like you say, Yeezus works better in concept than as something that is actually enjoyable to listen to.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's something to the concept because Blood on the Leaves and Bound2 are actually among my favorite Kanye songs. And I think he was mostly successful with his most controversial (non-sexual) statements. The production is reliably good and feels experimental. If I think of it as an EP it's a lot better.

It's really weird but when I listen to it I think the really disgusting sexual stuff AND the abrasive political statements all I can think is "What did you sit on this stuff until your mom didn't have to hear it?". One of those things worked and the other just revealed him as just as purile as weezy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yeezus is pretty much flawless, excepting Guilt Trip. Anything you say about MBDTF, I would say about Yeezus and everything you say about Yeezus, I say about MBDTF. The album just a negative of all the stuff you expect but it still has the same components.

Yes, people do like the music on the album. I think people seem to think Yeezus is like some anti-art DaDa type experiment.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Dont get me wrong; I dont think it is anti-music or universally unenjoyable or anything that... It is just too abrasive for my personal tastes to have much long play potential. But i mostly chalk that up to me being older and my tastes having evolved.

As for being flawed, i stand by that point. It is too raw to the point of being off-putting and like someone just pointed out, some of the lyrics are so puerile and with nothing to balance out that dynamic that I feel his other albums have. Like some of those lines would not have even made the cut on Weezy's newest mixtape...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 10, 2013

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
The more I listen to Yeezus, the more I love it. drat. Good speakers - A MUST!!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thathonkey posted:

Dont get me wrong; I dont think it is anti-music or universally unenjoyable or anything that... It is just too abrasive for my personal tastes to have much long play potential. But i mostly chalk that up to me being older and my tastes having evolved.

As for being flawed, i stand by that point. It is too raw to the point of being off-putting and like someone just pointed out, some of the lyrics are so puerile and with nothing to balance out that dynamic that I feel his other albums have. Like some of those lines would not have even made the cut on Weezy's newest mixtape...

I think Kanye is always like that. Not every song but most songs. If anything, Kanye is way more sexual this album than others. People just hate that sweet and sour sauce line. The big difference is that lack of collaborations/features.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No, people hate the rhyming words with themselves and the overall lack of cleverness, too, the sweetin and sour sauce is just the worst offender.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Magna Carta is so boring. I just listened to it and I can't tell you a drat thing notable about it. It's boilerplate Jay "Best rapper alive!" lyrics over boilerplate Jay production values, except this time he mentions his kid a lot. It has some decent beats you can nod your head to, I guess.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Magna Carta shows that Jay-Z understands that he's really rich and that he's made other people rich and therefore he doesn't really have any flaws. He might develop flaws in the future, and he's afraid of that, but those would purely be the result of other peoples' actions or of people "pushing [him] too far." Fame and wealth can be damaging, but that's only something that happens to other people because he's smart enough to know better. Oh, and by the way, he really loves his Modern art collection.

This is like every Jay-Z verse for the past decade. I've been trying for years to articulate how I feel about his particular style and sicarius just phrased it perfectly a few posts up: delusionally self-unaware.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 10, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

I think Kanye is always like that. Not every song but most songs. If anything, Kanye is way more sexual this album than others. People just hate that sweet and sour sauce line. The big difference is that lack of collaborations/features.

I disagee, outside of a few verses, Yeezus has some of the worst Kanye lyrics without the genuine cleverness/wit to balance it out. Also a lot of the vocal deliveries are pretty sloppy and now that ive noticed, it bugs me every time. The sweet and sour line is probably the worst offender but im not basing my overall feelings towards the album content on one line.

I also dont feel that the album is particularly cohesive. It has a dark, abrasive, angry theme throughout. He kinda tries to go into some interesting topics like the plight of black americans etc briefly before settling back into bemoaning his numerous and already well-documented relationship problems with women. I dont really have any qualms with that subject matter, but let's not act like it is something new or interesting from him. The only thing new is the tone and feel of the music itself surrounding the same well-worn subjects.

The lack of rap features just further highlights and exposes kanye's own shortcomings as a vocalist. I would say MBDTF trumps Yeezus on production values and lyrics and content at just about every juncture, even if you just examine kanye's own contributions.

It also feels like for once kanye took a bit of a backseat when it came to producing Yeezus but i dont have any proof per se. It just seems like it is missing some of that perfectionist oversight.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 10, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The lack of rap? Were we listening to a different album or something? This ain't 808s, there's far more rapping than autotune singing stuff

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

This is like every Jay-Z verse for the past decade. I've been trying for years to articulate how I feel about his particular style and sicarius just phrased it perfectly a few posts up: delusionally self-unaware.

What? I find it really hard to believe you can honestly say this when albums like the Black Album American Gangster came out in the last 10 years. I do suppose the Jay-Z hate and Kanye worship was going to happen no matter what though.

Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 10, 2013

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

What? I find it really hard to believe you can honestly say this when albums like the Black Album American Gangster came out in the last 10 years. I do suppose the Jay-Z hate and Kanye worship was going to happen no matter what though.

Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?

You're right, man that feels like so much longer ago. I'll happily amend my statement to the last five years and stand by it, however.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, people hate the rhyming words with themselves and the overall lack of cleverness, too, the sweetin and sour sauce is just the worst offender.

You don't think the juxtaposition of

"Chasin' love, all the bitter-sweet hours lost"
and
"Eatin' Asian pussy all I need is sweet and sour sauce"

is clever?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bown posted:

The lack of rap? Were we listening to a different album or something? This ain't 808s, there's far more rapping than autotune singing stuff

Rap features. You know, like other rappers who are featured on tracks via a guest verse. See: pretty much any rap album ever for reference.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Rap features. You know, like other rappers who are featured on tracks via a guest verse. See: pretty much any rap album ever for reference.

Not sure why you're saying that when in big names only J. Cole's album just came out with maybe two guest "rap features" (can't remember since I started nodding off a little through) and J. Cole is half the rapper Kanye is. Hell, Magna Carta Holy Grail just dropped (and is also kinda boring) and Rick Ross is the only "rap feature". Those and Yeezus are the biggest albums to drop this year sales wise and are all light on "rap features".

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

deadwing posted:

Not sure why you're saying that when in big names only J. Cole's album just came out with maybe two guest "rap features" (can't remember since I started nodding off a little through) and J. Cole is half the rapper Kanye is. Hell, Magna Carta Holy Grail just dropped (and is also kinda boring) and Rick Ross is the only "rap feature". Those and Yeezus are the biggest albums to drop this year sales wise and are all light on "rap features".

I think what he's getting at is that on most of Kanye's other albums he surrounded himself with other rappers, which made his lyrics sound better by association or just by the fact that his clunkers were surrounded by mostly fantastic stuff from other people.

Not including that garbage Common verse on Get Em High. Jesus christ that was bad

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Anaranjado posted:

I think what he's getting at is that on most of Kanye's other albums he surrounded himself with other rappers, which made his lyrics sound better by association or just by the fact that his clunkers were surrounded by mostly fantastic stuff from other people.

Not including that garbage Common verse on Get Em High. Jesus christ that was bad

"Real rappers is hard to find, like a remote
Control rap is out of"

I never fail to snicker at this line

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 11, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

deadwing posted:

That has nothing to do with my point sorry if i was unclear but somebody else above already reiterated what I was trying to say :)

To go a bit further, the lack of rap features is doubly disappointing because on MBDTF Kanye really acted as a muse for his collaborators and coaxed some of the best-verses-of-their-careers from the likes of Nicki Minaj, Pusha, and Rick Ross on that album. I would throw Raekwon in the mix but he doesnt need no Kanye influence to drop some hot rear end verses. anyway, So i was really looking forward to some more stellar guest verses from rappers who arent always stellar.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 11, 2013

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

setafd posted:

"Real rappers is hard to find, like a remote
Control rap is out of"

I never fail to snicker at this line

Say what you want about that track, but the Ratatat remix is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I have no proof and no way to confirm it, but I'm 99% sure that Kanye sampled Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle" on Guilt Trip. That little electronic crescendo you hear a couple times at the beginning, and then throughout.

Anyone else hear it, or am I losing my mind?

• Locked thread