Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno if this is better served in this or the gear thread, but I have just over $1000 to work with and I want a dedicated wildlife lens.

My thoughts are either the Sigma 50-500, Canon 100-400L or the Canon 400 5.6L. I think I'd rather have a zoom over a prime though, since it would be my only lens right now over 50mm.

I am selling my 100-400 in the sell thread. Where are you if in the states, you could borrow it short term to see if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Not sure is this is a Swainson's or a Broad-winged Hawk, the plumage is throwing me off

Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

House Wren by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Not sure is this is a Swainson's or a Broad-winged Hawk, the plumage is throwing me off

Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr
Pretty good timing on this post. I just spent the day with the guy who wrote the book on raptors (literally: http://www.amazon.ca/Field-Guide-Hawks-North-America/dp/0395670675/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372553543&sr=8-5&keywords=william+clark+bird) looking for Harlan/Red-tail hybrids in Alberta. Looks like you found one! Do you remember where it was? He's going to try and band some Monday morning. If you're interested you can probably join us.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Pretty good timing on this post. I just spent the day with the guy who wrote the book on raptors (literally: http://www.amazon.ca/Field-Guide-Hawks-North-America/dp/0395670675/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372553543&sr=8-5&keywords=william+clark+bird) looking for Harlan/Red-tail hybrids in Alberta. Looks like you found one! Do you remember where it was? He's going to try and band some Monday morning. If you're interested you can probably join us.

http://goo.gl/maps/UAZLi East of 127st on top of the lampposts on the north side of 142ave There was a hawk hanging around the area last summer too, just never had my camera with me when I've seen it before

I got a nice blurry pic of it's tail as it took off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 30, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is what happens when you take a picture across a highway on a very hot day :(

I hope you don't mind, but I rehosted this picture so I could send the shot to the hawk guy.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

All good with using that pic. I gotta work tomorrow during the day, so won't be able to come out

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

This is what happens when you take a picture across a highway on a very hot day :(

I just had that experience with some grey whales that surfaced very close to shore the other day. Nice harrier battle despite the distortion, though.

The rufous hummingbirds are migrating through my area now. They really don't like having people around but I finally managed to get close to one.

Raptors

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Moon Potato posted:

The rufous hummingbirds are migrating through my area now. They really don't like having people around but I finally managed to get close to one.

Well done, this is great.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Finally got a favorite bird in flight shot!

Egret Landing by Icybacon, on Flickr

Won't Be Cute Much Longer by Icybacon, on Flickr

Raikyn posted:

Some swallows

This is awesome and fun to rotate upside down.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I went to catch some hawks yesterday. It's a little bit worrisome when their very mean looking beak is a few inches from lots of soft and squishy parts of your body. Thankfully I still have both my eyes this morning.

My ugly mug

Great job on the harrier. They are not an easy bird to photograph!

Wow, really nice! I really love these birds and wish they came here.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
There's some really great photography in here. The barn swallow shots are what I was trying to get (and failed), the egret is beautiful, and I stared at the hawk close-up for a good five minutes. I can't get enough of this stuff!

Have a Crissal Thrasher

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And Cave or Cliff Swallows having a grand old time getting mud for their nests :3: (If anyone can help me ID these, I'd appreciate it. The species seem so similar that I'm having trouble, and eBird is less helpful than usual because it looks like they're both in my area!)

Scaled Quail pretending to be regal-looking

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

torgeaux posted:

I am selling my 100-400 in the sell thread. Where are you if in the states, you could borrow it short term to see if you like it.

That's really tempting. I'm in WI.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Casu Marzu posted:

That's really tempting. I'm in WI.

I'm in DC. PM me if you want. I'm flexible on price if you want to buy, too.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Brown-headed Cowbird (female) by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

They can have blue eyes when they're young, never knew that

young American Crows by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Fantail

fantail by Raikyn, on Flickr

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Raikyn posted:

Fantail

Great shot, they are real bastards to try and catch still.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Raikyn posted:

Fantail

BeanTaco posted:

Great shot, they are real bastards to try and catch still.
drat. I never had any luck getting even half-decent shots of those guys, though they were pretty common when I was in Tassie. Very nicely done!

I'm stuck in Resolute Bay, waiting for weather to clear at my fieldwork site at Alexandra Fjord. To nobody's surprise, even summer weather in the High Arctic is generally poor. But even though Resolute is pretty barren and desolate, there are a few Snow Buntings around.

Arctic 2013 Junkyard Exploration 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Arctic 2013 Junkyard Exploration 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Arctic 2013 Junkyard Exploration 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

This guy seems to have established his territory in the airport / government facilities junkyard. Little birds are evil, I think he was trying to lure me into slicing myself on rusty metal - but I'm wise to your ways, little birdie!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

stuck? go grab a boat and look for some belugas or polar bears!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A boat would be a total waste of time - the pack ice is still land-fast (much like me, at the moment). The nearest belugas might be among the bays on the north shore of Somerset Island (about 50km away), but I think those bays are still ice-filled, too. Bears could be around, but my gun is with my boss at Alexandra Fjord, and there are lots of people who'd be pretty angry at my chunky remains were I to go out for bear regardless.

I'm in the rather frustrating situation of waking up in the morning, having what I think will be my last shower for weeks, then discovering the weather means no flight today, maybe flight tomorrow. That was yesterday and today, tomorrow will be either "fly" or "maybe fly in a bit" or "sorry, no fly today". That "maybe" means more uncertainty, more waiting around where I can be found if the situation improves, and a severe lack of wildlife.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I just spent a couple days out with a Sigma 120-300 and am loving it so far.

Female peregrine falcon

Great egret

Common raven

Osprey

Barn swallow skimming the duckweed for bugs (I missed focus by a hair on this, but I love the pose)

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 7, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Moon Potato posted:

I just spent a couple days out with a Sigma 120-300 and am loving it so far.

Female peregrine falcon

Great egret

Common raven

Osprey

Barn swallow skimming the duckweed for bugs (I missed focus by a hair on this, but I love the pose)

Is this the new sport model, and have you tried it with TC's yet (and which ones)?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Is this the new sport model, and have you tried it with TC's yet (and which ones)?
It's the pre-sport OS model. The only thing they changed optically with the recent upgrade was new coatings, which doesn't seem worth the extra $1100 to me.
I got a 1.4X teleconverter with it but haven't tried it out yet. When the weather clears, I'll try it out on the kites and harriers.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

It's the pre-sport OS model. The only thing they changed optically with the recent upgrade was new coatings, which doesn't seem worth the extra $1100 to me.
I got a 1.4X teleconverter with it but haven't tried it out yet. When the weather clears, I'll try it out on the kites and harriers.

I just got the same lens. I've shot some tests with my canon 2x tele and they're fine, especially at f/8. Great, sharp lens, fast focus, but loving heavy.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

torgeaux posted:

I just got the same lens. I've shot some tests with my canon 2x tele and they're fine, especially at f/8. Great, sharp lens, fast focus, but loving heavy.
It's not much heavier than any other 300/2.8, but you do have to be a bit of an ape to handhold it on a prolonged outing. Since my only other super-telephoto lens is about 10lbs and manual focus, the 120-300 feels very freeing.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Another day of raptor banding...

Kestrel fledgling

Merlin

Red-tailed Hawk

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The most dangerous prey.

P7071085.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7071081.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7071084.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Had a crack at some juvenile bald eagles on the lake, but the sun was in the wrong position and all I could get were some silhouettes. Did manage to get this crazy guy over the 4th, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cru Jones posted:

Had a crack at some juvenile bald eagles on the lake, but the sun was in the wrong position and all I could get were some silhouettes. Did manage to get this crazy guy over the 4th, though.

:3: Loons own man, nice shot.

These are pretty boring, but they are pretty extreme crops from the 100-400L I bought from torgeaux. I am very impressed with this lens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Swainson's Hawk Profile by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Female Spruce Grouse by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

This photo is pretty lousy, but given the distance and rarity of the bird involved I'm happy with it. Apparently it's been a well kept secret that Northern Hawk Owls have breed in Washington in the last few years. They are only rarely reported south of the Canadian border and usually only in winter.

Northern Hawk-Owl by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

And I still need to go through the bulk of my one-day birding adventure in Belize, but here are a few that stood out:

Great Kiskadee by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Pygmy Kingfishers are the best birds. They're like the size of a Chickadee.

Pygmy Kingfisher by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Jabiru by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 9, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sat outside for 30 minutes without seeing much of anything worthwhile to shoot, but Mr. Robin swung by to pose for me at the end to cheer me up.

P7081212.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7081222.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7081217.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

really liking this one.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Goldfinches of Mount Lassen National Park
Edit: Western Tanagers of Mount Lassen

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 10, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Very nice. Those guys are not easy to photograph.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whistler Summer 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Moon Potato posted:

Very nice. Those guys are not easy to photograph.

I got really lucky for that shot. I was shooting that finch as it flew around in some brush beside the trail I was on and then it just flew out and landed on a branch about 10 feet from me in clear sight, so I was able to get that uncropped shot with a 400mm lens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Graniteman posted:

Goldfinches of Mount Lassen National Park

Nice western tanagers! I saw the first photo and I thought you were getting a pic of some rainforest manakin or something.

e: goldfinches would be half the size with a much smaller pointier bill. and no red unless you had a funny pine grosbeak or crossbill or something.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 10, 2013

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Nice western tanagers! I saw the first photo and I thought you were getting a pic of some rainforest manakin or something.

e: goldfinches would be half the size with a much smaller pointier bill. and no red unless you had a funny pine grosbeak or crossbill or something.

Haha. I sat there for a long time going, "Man, those sure look a lot more like Western Tanagers than Goldfinches, but maybe they're babies or one of those non Lawrences or Lesser Goldfinches I'm not used to seeing..."

edit: Western Tanagers are way prettier and, in my experience, harder to photograph than Goldfinches. For every one I've actually seen this year I've probably heard 25 of them.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 10, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sadly that's all I have to contribute to this thread right now. I had a vulture at my dad's bird feeder today like 20 feet away but only had my iPhone. Holy crap those things are cool looking close up.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Cattle Egret by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pal670
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone that can identify these birds? I am new to this sort of stuff, so have little to no knowledge, but am slowly going to learn.

Screech by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

He's hungry by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

Flyover by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr