Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Guuse posted:

I wonder who all the saints are up there. I'm trying to find out on the internet but amazingly I can't actually find a comprehensive list anywhere.

I'll see if I can get you a pamphlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Montreal

Guuse posted:

I wonder who all the saints are up there. I'm trying to find out on the internet but amazingly I can't actually find a comprehensive list anywhere.

The Wikipedia page says "Instead of the statues of the twelve apostles on the façade of St. Peter's, the front of the church is topped by statues of the patron saints of thirteen parishes of Montreal who donated them, including St. John the Baptist and St. Patrick."

So there's two, and one looks to be St Francis of Assisi (trying to find clearer photos), but I guess there's probably some way to find out the patron saint of each of the parishes.

EDIT: Found this elsewhere "Various parishes and interest groups sponsored the statues which include such non-apostolic saints as Patrick, Joseph, Francis of Assisi and Thomas Aquinas."

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 10, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
St. Dennis is up there, he's the decapitated one. He's holding his head, creepy like Ichabod Crane's headless horseman or a footballer carrying the ball (that funky hat is shaped just like a football).

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Montreal

Urban Smurf posted:

St. Dennis is up there, he's the decapitated one. He's holding his head, creepy like Ichabod Crane's headless horseman or a footballer carrying the ball (that funky hat is shaped just like a football).

I don't see St Dennis. I checked for him since Montreal is all French and stuff and St Dennis is the patron saint of France and I see nobody lacking a head.

EDIT: Here we go, there's a close up photo and identification for each statue.
http://www.dcmemorials.com/index_indiv0008300.htm

Kind of weird that there's no statue of Mary up there, given that the cathedral is "Mary, Queen of the World." The Catholic churches around here rarely seem to have a statue of anyone but Mary.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Wait, you're not talking about the Notre Dame Cathedral? Sorry, my bad.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 10, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Montreal

I don't see St Dennis. I checked for him since Montreal is all French and stuff and St Dennis is the patron saint of France and I see nobody lacking a head.

EDIT: Here we go, there's a close up photo and identification for each statue.
http://www.dcmemorials.com/index_indiv0008300.htm

Kind of weird that there's no statue of Mary up there, given that the cathedral is "Mary, Queen of the World." The Catholic churches around here rarely seem to have a statue of anyone but Mary.

Thank you for this. Is St. John smoking a blunt?

Looking at things, it looks like you might be able to pull off a perspective trick with the assorted domes and the long bits to get to that drat left double-hitch collar from Marie Reinne, sort of like how Boston lined up their church towers to find a match.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
The North End is interesting and I eventually plan on exploring it more in the future

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Has there been any progress on the riddle in verse 11?

I see four ways to parse the riddle:
  1. Something that, when it is first seen, is standing and that you touch last.
  2. Something that you first see when you are standing and that you touch last.
  3. Something that, when it is first seen and last touched, is standing.
  4. Something that you first see and last touch when you are standing.

Finally, it's something that the cask (or maybe you) can be underneath. And it's probably found in the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island or at the Wright Brothers monument at nearby Kill Devil Hills.
The problem is that all of the suggested digging spots, the gardens, the wright memorial, somewhere down the path from the 1896 marker stone, the amphitheater, or really anywhere else that has been suggested, is a federal crime. Even if you knew exactly where it was, who wants to go to jail and/or pay a fine, have a felony on their record or even just get arrested because they have a strong hunch on where to dig up a broken sugar bowl?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sham I Am posted:

The problem is that all of the suggested digging spots, the gardens, the wright memorial, somewhere down the path from the 1896 marker stone, the amphitheater, or really anywhere else that has been suggested, is a federal crime. Even if you knew exactly where it was, who wants to go to jail and/or pay a fine, have a felony on their record or even just get arrested because they have a strong hunch on where to dig up a broken sugar bowl?

Well then, I guess the next step would be to find out if it was a federal crime back in 1982. If so, we can probably rule out those locations.

Pardon me if it's been answered I'm only 3/4 of the way through the thread.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

Well then permission must be obtained. You never know until you ask. If that doesn't work we write our congressmen. There is even an archeology group that has been digging at Roanoke for years, they might help. If someone is willing to dig then I will try and obtain permissions.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

The archaelogical protections act of 1979 would be the most applicable obstruction to digging in 1981. Any place with significant prior archaeological interest would be rules out. Inside a fenced lot would be too questionable. If your solution then a spot is absolutely perfect it will take into account the obvious surroundings. Back in the 80's people would get a slap on the wrist when they would try to sneak off with a brick belonging to Fort Sumter. Its very unlikely Preiss buried a casque there. FOY had significant preexisting archaeological significance...so it also makes for a difficult dig strategy. In NOLA, I use the roof of a tomb viewed from OUTSIDE the cemetery to find a spot on the Neutral ground. It may be an exposed area but it is much too clear as a possibility to be ignored. It is perfectly conceivable Preiss found ways to dig outside of archaeologically protected areas, but it should be clear that there is no risk of gettng into serious trouble. The Chcago casque is a great example to follow. Lots of tree plantings, one more hole in a public park space shouldn't matter. Proximity to a Lincoln reference makes it that much better. Cleveland is a good example of being sneaky, again a public space. No real damage or danger to features required. Preiss looked for those sharply defned opportunities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The issue is that it's not clear Preiss got permission for any of his digs. Unfortunately though anyone retrieving the treasure and then publicizing that fact would have to worry about the consequences of digging without permission in a way that Preiss didn't.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

Well then permission must be obtained. You never know until you ask. If that doesn't work we write our congressmen. There is even an archeology group that has been digging at Roanoke for years, they might help. If someone is willing to dig then I will try and obtain permissions.
Sure we could ask. But I think in order to receive permission to dig we would need some really solid proof as to the final location which, despite some peoples insistence to the contrary, we don't really have.

I know you have been at this for awhile; I stumbled on this page saying that some of the Ft. Raleigh had been subjected to ground penetrating radar, leading to a couple of archaeological digs, and that they were planning on surveying much more of the park in 2009. I couldn't find anything else about it though (I didnt look very hard TBH); do you know if they did a lot of scans or where they actually did them at? I don't imagine it was anywhere we are looking, but you never know.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 10, 2013

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

bonestructure posted:

Cask 2 - Charleston SC

No one at the City of Charleston Parks and Recreation really wanted to look at my application before the holiday, so only now am I finally getting a response, and it's not an encouraging one.

At first I was told that a permit to dig in the planting bed along High Battery might be issued if I was willing to put up a large damage bond. The latest word, though, is that no permit will be issued to me or to anyone else who wants to dig for a cask in or around White Point Gardens. There is a blanket prohibition against metal detecting or digging in any public park in the city of Charleston, and for White Point Gardens in particular digging is a violation of SC's antiquities preservation act and can result in a large fine and\or jail time. I was told that the only way digging for the cask could be authorized at WPG is if the request is coming as part of a formal archaeological survey sponsored by an accredited college or university, complete with a detailed dig plan that has been signed off on by the Preservation Society. There have been digs like that before in peninsular Charleston, but the permitting and approval process takes literally years before anyone has been allowed to break ground.

So, that's that. :( I had a brief, wild moment of wanting to sneak down there one night and just wildcat it, but I have to hold a security clearance for my job and getting arrested would definitely jeopardize that. I'm not going to risk it. If anyone else wants to take up that cudgel, feel free.

Ah, drat, that sucks.

If I'm feeling like a real risk-taker when I'm there next month maybe I'll try, but I'd also rather not get arrested.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

Sure we could ask. But I think in order to receive permission to dig we would need some really solid proof as to the final location which, despite some peoples insistence to the contrary, we don't really have.

I know you have been at this for awhile; I stumbled on this page saying that some of the Ft. Raleigh had been subjected to ground penetrating radar, leading to a couple of archaeological digs, and that they were planning on surveying much more of the park in 2009. I couldn't find anything else about it though (I didnt look very hard TBH); do you know if they did a lot of scans or where they actually did them at? I don't imagine it was anywhere we are looking, but you never know.

One of my posts has the link to the group that does the digging. They dug very near the bench site, right off the nature trail. They found relics from the original colony,a very interesting read.
You are correct we don't have solid proof, nor do I think we will ever find it. The clues we have, even the good ones, are subject to interpretation. All we really have are likely locations with different degrees of agreement. Perhaps one day someone will just find a casque and not reveal where they got it ;)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The issue is that it's not clear Preiss got permission for any of his digs. Unfortunately though anyone retrieving the treasure and then publicizing that fact would have to worry about the consequences of digging without permission in a way that Preiss didn't.

Just for sake of argument, wouldn't that be hard to prove? I mean unless they have pics showing you digging? And who would care? Im sure there are bigger things to worry about than some old cereal bowl from the 80s.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rookhunter posted:

Just for sake of argument, wouldn't that be hard to prove? I mean unless they have pics showing you digging? And who would care? Im sure there are bigger things to worry about than some old cereal bowl from the 80s.

It's not the "cereal bowl", it's the damage you do while digging. Some places are also sensitive archeological sites and digging for a stupid cask can irreparably ruin a site.

The law exists primarily because of souvenir scavenging. People tend to want to take something tangible with them to remember a place. A few thousand people taking something small that no one will notice can completely destroy a park.

Thus it is important to have a solid case to present to someone in authority for permission before you start randomly digging. Otherwise you can create rather substantial problems and face possible jail time.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Given that I live locally, I've been following the Boston clues for a bit and really like the Cambridge Common solution proposed. If indeed the cask is buried in that park, there are two big hints I think we need to find the proper location - 1 from the verse, 1 from the photo.

Verse: The 'lit by lamplight' line at the end of the verse indicated just that to me - a literal streetlamp near which we would find the another marker where the cask was. However, I think xie brought up that the lighting in and around the park has been replaced / moved in the last 30 odd years, so I've been trying to find some historical photos but haven't had much luck.

Photo: The big item that jumps out at me in the two solved photos that have already been solved are that the specific location is called out very prominently. For example, in Cleveland the wall above the planter where the cask was buried was large and centered in the picture, and in Chicago the unique fence post was similarly centered and not subtle, albeit smaller than the Chicago clue. I think there has to be a similar clue in the Boston photo that will tie to a location in the park. I'm at work so I don't have access to some photo editing tool, but the two big elements we haven't isolated seem to be the large arch on the top of the photo (complete with several specific cracks and lines) and the two 'pillar' type objects on either side of the woman (complete with many specific shapes, symbols, etc). I would think that one of those (or another large element of the photo we haven't used in the solution yet) has to be near the cask location, if for no other reason than to be consistent with the other solutions.

Between the two, I think we'll have a good bet for where the cask is, if indeed it's in Cambridge Common. If anyone here has more luck than I found in finding photos of the park circa the '70s that we can use to confirm the location of a few lampposts, then the last step would be to scout out those specific areas for anything that remotely matches. Again, I don't think these are going to be any big macro-level matches (i.e. not a fork in the path visible in an aerial shot or a building outline in the neighboring skyline), but rather some specific item or items in the park that will line up exactly with some as-of-yet unaccounted for feature in the photo.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The problem with CC photos from the 70s is that the mid-70s is the last time the park was renovated. We really need photos very specifically from 1975-1983.

Harvard Square in general was a complete mess in those years, as I think I've posted before. They built two temporary T entrances while they worked on expanding the line to Alewife, and the main square one was boarded up. Stuff was moved around (as in physical buildings/traffic/etc.) a few times over years. So really we need photos from 1980-81.

I found some photos of concerts on the CC (general Hippies hanging out stuff, near the Lincoln statue) and the lightning is different, but I can't tell if any are green.

The fence & fixture are not actually right in front of the dig site in Chicago, but they are very close. I'm not sure if the turrets on the Epsworth would count here - I think lining them up is somewhat important in the first place.

Ideally, we'd find a shot from 1981 of the area by the Lincoln statue, and in the area where you can see the Church & Sheraton Commander sign both there'd be a big green lamp post somewhere nearby.

(FWIW I think the symbols on the pillars match up with the Richardsonian Romanesque symbols on Austin House & Harvard Epsworth Church, and not much more)

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

[b]The fence & fixture are not actually right in front of the dig site in Chicago, but they are very close. I'm not sure if the turrets on the Epsworth would count here - I think lining them up is somewhat important in the first place.
Why do you say it wasn't? Not trying to contradict you but it might be important in your solve. The fixture was right infront of the dig spot. It took them a few tries but they found it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

rookhunter posted:

Why do you say it wasn't? Not trying to contradict you but it might be important in your solve. The fixture was right infront of the dig spot. It took them a few tries but they found it.

No it wasn't? It's down the fence line a little bit. It was not right in front of the actual hole in the ground. Q4T blocks my work IP entirely, but I'm almost positive there are multiple pictures of the dig site.

There is a similar pole, but the one depicted in the image is within a hundred feet of the dig spot, I believe. Not arguing, I could be mis-remembering and can't check right now.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

No it wasn't? It's down the fence line a little bit. It was not right in front of the actual hole in the ground. Q4T blocks my work IP entirely, but I'm almost positive there are multiple pictures of the dig site.

There is a similar pole, but the one depicted in the image is within a hundred feet of the dig spot, I believe. Not arguing, I could be mis-remembering and can't check right now.

This was the dig site. I think its important because in some of these casques you see that you have to line up certain objects to find the dig spot.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 6 Verse 5 Oregon theory

I picked up an old map from 1972. It had several differences on it compared to some more modern maps. I noticed the breakdown in the legend on the different "Lane" types of roads. A few things I hoped to find were the exit numbers, the location of the Portland Women's Forum and a mark for the location of Mt. Hood. I haven't succeeded in finding a map that shows exit numbers.

This link is to a large scan to support detail, http://s11.photobucket.com/user/erexere/media/secret/The%20Secret/oregonmapscan1972_zpsbbafd059.jpg.html

xie
Jul 29, 2004

rookhunter posted:

This was the dig site. I think its important because in some of these casques you see that you have to line up certain objects to find the dig spot.

Ah ok yeah that's pretty much it. However the tree is not the exact dig spot, I believe it's between the tree and the wall. So it's not really a line-it-up thing.

It's between fence & fixture, with the fixture likely being the thing on the building - but AFAIK it's never been conclusively proven. Chicago was solved before the internet by people who knew the area, so they didn't rely on a very very hard breakdown of the clues like we are here.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Urban Smurf posted:

The archaelogical protections act of 1979 would be the most applicable obstruction to digging in 1981. Any place with significant prior archaeological interest would be rules out. Inside a fenced lot would be too questionable. If your solution then a spot is absolutely perfect it will take into account the obvious surroundings. Back in the 80's people would get a slap on the wrist when they would try to sneak off with a brick belonging to Fort Sumter. Its very unlikely Preiss buried a casque there. FOY had significant preexisting archaeological significance...so it also makes for a difficult dig strategy. In NOLA, I use the roof of a tomb viewed from OUTSIDE the cemetery to find a spot on the Neutral ground. It may be an exposed area but it is much too clear as a possibility to be ignored. It is perfectly conceivable Preiss found ways to dig outside of archaeologically protected areas, but it should be clear that there is no risk of gettng into serious trouble. The Chcago casque is a great example to follow. Lots of tree plantings, one more hole in a public park space shouldn't matter. Proximity to a Lincoln reference makes it that much better. Cleveland is a good example of being sneaky, again a public space. No real damage or danger to features required. Preiss looked for those sharply defned opportunities.

I see your point, but would the publishing company approve? Seems like they wouldn't want to fund a guy committing a federal crime when the goal is for people to discover where that federal crime was committed by committing other federal crimes.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
All that's been going through my mind while reading this whole thread (aside from wishing I was 1) clever enough to help and 2) lived near one of the locations) was when someone finally digs one up the perfect response will be Janine from Ghostbusters getting that first call, slamming on the bell and shouting, "We got one!!!!!"

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005
Has anyone found lat/long numbers that put cask 12 in New York City? Or for that matter, put any of the city debated casks in any city? It seems like the lat/long should be the first clue to solve for every picture.

I would put the cask 12 numbers I've found on the wiki if only I didn't do 99% of my reading on an iPad.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
So, I have a an update for my adventures in Milwaukie, OR after actually digging. No, I didn't find the cask, but there were still some interesting moments. I'll start with a more detailed, pic supported explanation of my solution, and then details on the dig. There are some parts of the poem I'm still unsure about, but I think I have a lot of solid connections. It's long, so strap in or scroll past.

I do think that the clues initially lead to Milwaukee, WI with the general phonetic image clues, and the domes of the city hall are unmistakable. This would make it easier for readers to confirm the name of the city. But as some of you may remember, my belief is that the twist to the puzzle is that it's actually based around the comparatively unknown Milwaukie, OR.

When I first started looking at it, I felt that the lines of the persons hair, chin, and arm very closely matched the lines of the Willamette River in the Milwaukie area when turned upsidedown and scaled. From there, my assumption was that the objects being juggled would correspond to landmarks or parts of the poem, and I've circled the general regions of the objects below on the overlay.

Zooming in on the area marked by the ball in her hand, and using the first verse of the poem I found:
View the three stories of Mitchell

Mitchell St, but it is divided, with three sections running at consecutively higher latitudes. Similar to others who proposed it might be a 3 story house.

As you walk the beating of the world
I think that this is just a cheesy pun clue for Oregon. If anyone remembers the first riddle in Batman: Arkham City, the Riddler says "I am an instrument whose music always comes from the heart." The answer is a pipe organ. So, beating->heart->organ->Oregon. There's even a game called Organ Trail, so I'm not the only one making this type of connection.

At a distance in time
From three who lived there

This is the one I really have no idea about, but I asume it has something to do with the gem in the image. Anyway, if we zoom in on the area marked by the gem on the map overlay we have this:

What I assume is a pool matches in both color, shape, and orientation to the gem being juggled. This seems significant, as the gem is blue, but the reward for this puzzle is supposedly an amethyst. And speaking of amethyst, its name is of Greek origin. And right near the pool is Daphne, who is a character in Greek mythology.

At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing

I lined this up with the millstone. If we zoom in on that region, we find:

Not perfect, but as far as I'm concerned, it's close enough to get the point across.

Step on nature
This matches with the walking stick in following the circle of the juggling(skipping the flower, which didn't seem to fit), and matches well with the verse. If we zoom in, we find that the head of the walking stick lines up roughly with a park, and the shaft follows along a street with a slight bend, which correlates to the slight bend in the shaft.

Cast in copper
This is simply the key, which is next in the juggling order, but when we zoom in on the region, the location and shape correspond to a freeway on-ramp:

Speaking of the freeway, that's I-205. Planning started around 1975, and accodring to Historic Aerials, the section in that area was completed as early as 1977.
So, I think that After climbing the grand 200 means travel north on I-205. A few miles north of where the key corresponds there is an exit for 92nd Ave, so Ascend the 92 steps means continue north on 92nd Ave.

Pass the compass
Traveling north on 92nd you pass West Mt Scott. Not sure if I would have caught this myself, but I remembered from the Lemontiger Wisconsin theory that North Point Lighthouse was considered an acceptable match for the verse, and this is basically the same idea.

The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge

A culvert is something that allows water to flow under a road, and a little ways past West Mount Scott, we intersect Johnson Creek Blvd, which also runs below I-205. This area also corresponds with the region of the last ball being juggled. And when we zoom in on that region we have:

Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil
To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

So, I got this far just using Google maps, but that place is only 30 minutes from where I live, and that separate stand of trees just seemed too drat conspicuous, and was absolutely southeast from where I had landed. It's probably about 800ft from the corner of 92nd and Johnson Creek, but if you use the two step version of a pace and 3ft for a step, that works out to about 133 paces, so not too far off. Anyway, the big question, of course was what type of trees where there. So of course I went out the next day. Sure enough, next to some oaks in that stand, are birch trees. This is actually significant because everywhere else you look in that area, any forested land is dominated by massive pine trees. There were only four, but I figured one may have died, or maybe was part of the separate tree line north of the stand. Anyway, I went to the last, most southeastern one. It was covered in moss, so any actual markings from 30 years ago would be covered. If we keep with the Greek origin it might be that 30 years ago the tree resembled a letter from the Greek alphabet, like Psi. Regardless, right at it's southern foot was this:

To me that just seemed like too much of a coincidence, and worth the effort to get permission from the land owners to dig. That took a few weeks, my wife and I had to sign a release form, but finally got the go-ahead.

So, after digging about 2.5ft down, through poo poo loads of rocks and roots, I hit something big and solid. Turned out to just be another rock, but it was one BIG loving rock. We were trying to dig as small a whole as possible, but kept having to widen the hole to get at this thing. But it also seemed out of place, and we took it as a possible sign that we were in the right place. It made sense, with the casks being as small as they are, that he would put something bigger over it so you'd have less chance of missing the spot.

It ended up being a motherfucking 20"10"x10" river rock. I have no idea what it weighed but it is not the sort of thing you want to try and extract from a 3ft hole. We had to rig up a rope and lever setup to get it out.

But, after it was out, right below where the center of the big rock had been we found this:

That suspiciously triangular rock is about 3" to a side, and actually about 8" long. It was held in place on all sides by a solid floor of rocks. It seemed like an even stronger indication that we were in the right spot, but it's also where things started going downhill. That floor or rocks was actually more like a cairn. It just KEPT GOING. and it was ridiculously hard to remove them. Shovel, post hole digger, and trowel were all useless. The only thing that allowed me to make any progress was either a flathead screwdriver or crowbar. Each rock had to be individually outlined and pried loose from the extremely compacted soil, and the depth of the hole made it increasingly hard to remove any resulting dirt with the shovel. After another grueling 6" or so, I ran into this dude:

Again, it seemed like it could be a sign, so I kept going, following the "arrow" as it were. But I never did find anything. So, after 22 hours of digging over two days, and near heatstroke, I finally packed it in. The final hole was roughly 2.5ftx4ft in a trench out from the tree, and 48" deep. I made sure to measure so I didn't give up before his stated max depth. Under the last rock layers was a type of soil/clay that was almost as hard as the rocks, and I wouldn't be shocked if the pressure over time obliterated the box and cask(if it was there), and worms finished the job. Plus, at one point during the second day a curious neighbor who had lived there a long time came by and we learned that there had been a lot of trees cut down on the hill, and a subsequent landslide there years ago. It's actually the reason the trees are still there, as the land was deemed undevelopable. I have no idea how that could have affected the trees' location, soil depth, or underlying ground structure.

And maybe it's all just coincidence. When it cools down, and if no one has found anything in Wisconsin, I'll see if the owners would be willing to let me have another shot. They were skeptical to begin with, so the fact I didn't find anything will just reinforce that. They wouldn't even let me bring a friend to help, and the day and time to dig had to be scheduled in advance. And on that note, if you guys could keep this out of the wiki, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to keep the number of random crazies calling them up at a minimum, especially if it could be long gone. And hopefully anyone reading this will realize that a stealth dig is not an option. Not only was it super slow going, but I literally had people on their porch across the street watching me with binoculars. The curious neighbor came by as a courtesy before they called the cops.

So that's the story of the dig. I don't know what sort of questions anyone might have, but I probably won't be able to respond for a few days if there are any.

Oh, and a few more supporting elements for Oregon being the location. Right by the Portland/Milwaukie area is the Columbia River Gorge. This fits the theme of the painting and the two primary background structures. If we zoom out to a larger perspective overlay, they actually match well with both the I-5 and I-205 contours. It's hard to see because of the color, and I'm not great with photomanipulation software, but here's the best I got:

And this is a sketch my wife found of a major Gorge landmark, Beacon Rock, as sketched by Lewis or Clark:

When mirrored and scaled, I think it matches very well to the painting:

The main anomaly is the large fissure in the middle, but that is at least, in part, necessary to give a decent shape of Milwaukee City Hall. If I want to try and force an Oregon connection, though, I did find this:

Whitespires. A church in Oregon that was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, which is some pretty interesting timing for the book. And at the right angle it sorta matches up to the fissure, which does have 3 deeper cuts. The detail is so small, it seems like it would have to be intentional. But like I said, I'm not married to this one.

So that's it. I'm fully expecting it all to be dismissed, but at least I had a few fun moments of feeling like a Goonie, and not just a goon.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Grand Poobah posted:

Has anyone found lat/long numbers that put cask 12 in New York City? Or for that matter, put any of the city debated casks in any city? It seems like the lat/long should be the first clue to solve for every picture.

I would put the cask 12 numbers I've found on the wiki if only I didn't do 99% of my reading on an iPad.

Cask 6 / Saint Augustine has several visible numbers in the rock formation, some more clear than others, but none that match Saint Augustine's lat/long.

Edit: ^ Whoa! That's a really impressive effort! I think some of the connections you drew are a little tenuous and I'm not sure that plexiglass and ceramic would disintegrate / be eaten by worms. But seriously, way to go for it and turn over some dirt!

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 11, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Poobah posted:

There's a "74" very clearly in the water. There's some stuff directly above it some claim is a backwards "41" if you squint hard and cross your eyes. That would be NYC, but it's not very definitive. There's a bunch of other numerals you can make out in the spray of the wave. Lots of 3s in various places. There's nothing real obvious, anyway, unlike a few other images. You can probably find some squiggles anywhere in the picture that you can claim are the coordinates of any city you like.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

The Adama, that looks like a church on Lombard. I hate you're theory almost as much as I hate my own theories. Why don't you jump on board my Oregon based theory instead?

Weird, it's been 23 years...I guess my memory was way off on this one: http://s11.photobucket.com/user/erexere/media/secret/The%20Secret/Lombard_zpsfa159e64.png.html I lived right near Johnson Cr. When I was a kid. I recall a strange discovery on Mt. Scott in the early spring when I found a large manta ray covered by a blanket. Goddamn, who would dump an exotic ocean creature on top of a big hill.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 11, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grand Poobah posted:

There are a lot of things that can be interpreted as numbers in that picture. I posted this earlier in the thread

GWBBQ posted:

Good afternoon and welcome to Hunting For Numbers with GWBBQ. I've been looking around various US cities looking for anything that might match up to the Cask 12 picture, but as people have mentioned, your best bet is to find coordinates for latitude and longitude. Since we haven't anything that unequivocally links it to New York City, grab pairs of numbers, see where you end up, and look for anything that matches the picture.

Using one of the High-Res scans provided by Bankok on page 29, I have gone completely off my rocker and started hunting for anything that might resemble a number. I marked up anything obvious I saw, a few not obvious ones, and a couple that sort of look like numbers but I'm pretty sure aren't. Anyway, here's a bunch of stuff.

Based on the 982/train clue, I would say that the Houston one is pretty close to 100% certain, and the Xenophon/Thucydides match in Boston is pretty compelling.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 11, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

The Adama posted:

So, after 22 hours of digging over two days

Ohhhh, man. Wow. This whole post is just wonderful.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Adama posted:

So, I have a an update for my adventures in Milwaukie, OR after actually digging.

Quite the trip report. You showed more links between art elements and Milwaukie stuff than I have seen for the Milwaukee theory. Geographically, it makes more sense for it to not be Milwaukee, due to proximity to Chicago and some statement of wanting many people be able to participate in the hunt. Thanks for posting.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

The Adama posted:

So, after 22 hours of digging over two days

Oh wow, this was great stuff. I wish you'd come away with something tangible to show for all your detective work and physical labor, but that is still a drat good story.

Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Adama posted:

22 hours of digging

Ahahahaha this is wonderful. It's really interesting to watch the human brain convince itself of things that make no goddamn sense.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
THe best is one big rock being a sign for the next rock and so on. But at that point you're deeply invested and you just push on. A for effort.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
Yah, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for when I started. And large parts of it weren't really even very strenuous, just irritatingly time consuming. But I looked at it like it would be my one chance to try, and I didn't want to walk away forever thinking "What if I had just dug one more inch?". So it was really about digging a hole of a certain size, not hours sunk, that was the primary factor for my peace of mind. I would have gladly walked away after 6 hours like the guys in Cleveland after digging the same hole, but it just didn't work out that way. But at least the view was nice.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
At least you got out there and actually broke earth.

I'm skeptical that any will be found at this point. Maybe the Houston one because (I think?) the zoo director can take his time and engage professional help, if it's even there.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

The Adama posted:

Yah, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for when I started. And large parts of it weren't really even very strenuous, just irritatingly time consuming. But I looked at it like it would be my one chance to try, and I didn't want to walk away forever thinking "What if I had just dug one more inch?". So it was really about digging a hole of a certain size, not hours sunk, that was the primary factor for my peace of mind. I would have gladly walked away after 6 hours like the guys in Cleveland after digging the same hole, but it just didn't work out that way. But at least the view was nice.

Great job on your dig. I applaud your efforts, you thought there was a casque there and you went digging to prove if it was or not. Digging for these is quite the experience and always an adventure.
:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Konar posted:

Ahahahaha this is wonderful. It's really interesting to watch the human brain convince itself of things that make no goddamn sense.

Stick around.