Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

HughGRect posted:

I also hate myself, but I hate pubbies more. So like Midori, I will also be going into Fusang and grabbing more bags for any goons who miss out on the event.

I'm new to this (as you know) so dunno whether or not I qualify for your generosity. However, if you do have loads of spare bags, and I'm unable to get two myself (one for me and one for my healer buddy who has to play on a crappy laptop :/) then I'd be extremely grateful for any Fusang bag gifts. Just to confirm: I don't have to kill the Fusang golem to get the "The Bigger They Are" achievement? Of course, I'll still need to go there for the lore.

My current plan is to do Fistful of Zombies, Bullets for Andy, and tier 1/18 of Dawning (i.e. get to the Sheriff's Office in Kingsmouth) then go try and down the 8 golems for the deed and get the 9 pieces of lore. I will, of course, try to down the Fusang golem as well while I'm there. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

I've only been able to get into Fusang for about 10 minutes yesterday morning before work, and during that time the golem never dropped below 14m hp because people couldn't move out of the AOE he does. If anyone manages to grab me (Murmur in game) a spare bag from him, that would be awesome. I'll edit my post if I manage to get back in and get my own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marx posted:

I'm not sure if its a video settings thing or what but all of these 'attractive women' in TSW that are full of themselves because of their beauty all kind of look like that disney witch with bright red lips.

No it's the terrible character models.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Huh, I know I've been too busy to actually PLAY, but I just got a Steam message saying my card has charged back my The Secret World purchase. Game remoevd, the account will be restricted for 9 weeks (sept 10) etc, and "Once the restriction has been lifted, the mastercard will no longer be an accepted method of payment on steam".

What the hell? Should I be particularly worried for my card or is this Funcompetence? The bigger pain in the rear end if my card isn't in danger will be the whole 'sorry, you're not allowed to pay with this anymore if you want that game back'.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 10, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Section Z posted:

Huh, I know I've been too busy to actually PLAY, but I just got a Steam message saying my card has charged back my The Secret World purchase. Game remoevd, the account will be restricted for 9 weeks (sept 10) etc, and "Once the restriction has been lifted, the mastercard will no longer be an accepted method of payment on steam".

What the hell? Should I be particularly worried for my card or is this Funcompetence? The bigger pain in the rear end if my card isn't in danger will be the whole 'sorry, you're not allowed to pay with this anymore if you want that game back'.

I do since Funcom is based out of Europe that it can cause some funky stuff with CC companies (mine tried to block a transaction as potentially fraudulent and I had to call in to lift it), but if you bought it through Steam shouldn't the billing have gone through Steam?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Section Z posted:

This is almost assuredly an isssue between your CC and Steam and has nothing to do with FunCom at all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

This is almost assuredly an isssue between your CC and Steam and has nothing to do with FunCom at all.
Just called my card, no chargeback shown to them. Unless this is so recent it wouldn't have shown up yet, I just came home after leaving for around an hour and Steam support window when I got back. Since this is all of one or two hours ago when the issue cropped up, me and the bank are assuming it may need a bit more time to show up on their system.

My Card has always been very fast with it's customer support and fraud checks so far (so far exclusively GOG tripping it and a call not ten minutes later before I cleared the place with them). So at the moment I'm expecting Steam to have dropped the ball somewhere.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 10, 2013

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Been unable to get into Fusang at all to kill the guardian. If any generous goon happens to have an extra bag, it would be very much appreciated. In game name is Scryvenyr

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Fusang is down again, so I petitioned for my first boss kill to be recognized so I can get a second bag. GM responded while I was writing this post, second bag is mine. It's reserved for my boyfriend, but if I get any others I'm open to sharing them with the needy who I don't know as well... for a price.

Just kidding, I will give them away... or sell them on the AH for 100 million pax each.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Someone mentioned a tuxedo with issue 7? What's up with that, I see no tuxedo, give me some details.

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013

thegodofchuck posted:

Someone mentioned a tuxedo with issue 7? What's up with that, I see no tuxedo, give me some details.

The tux shows up in the cash shop. Check the "new" category. The men's version is pretty good, but the ladies' is more waiter than tuxedo, sadly.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

midoriyourself posted:

The tux shows up in the cash shop. Check the "new" category. The men's version is pretty good, but the ladies' is more waiter than tuxedo, sadly.

Fun com obviously expects women to "know their place" and uses the cash shop as the primary medium of communication.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

midoriyourself posted:

Money?! Well, funbux. But... I was expecting it as a freebie/reward. Disappointed.

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!
The free week was fairly nice, and I was positively surprised (after Anarchy Online and Conan I wasn't really sure Funcom could really get anything right). I did manage to clear the first area of Egypt (and sneak into the 2nd enough to grab a QL8 AR), but.. Does the combat get any more involved later on? Supposedly there's just one area (Transylvania) left + dungeons, and so far enemies have had "too much" HP and nothing really interesting to mix things up. The charge-up AoE things they do now and then seem to be the only thing, and they've been rather trivial since they are so easy to avoid due to their slow speeds.

Do the dungeons themselves get any more interesting, either? I did normal mode Polaris and the Room 13 thing, and playing as DPS they felt really uninvolved, shoot at stuff that has way too much HP, maybe move a little here and there to avoid an AoE (or hide behind stuff in the Polaris boss). It seems the overall mob/boss design seems to favor the really boring bullet-sponge variety without any interesting tricks (hello 15 million HP event bosses that were super boring to do even on the first time, not to mention doing them multiple times).

A shame, really since I really liked the AP/SP system of "leveling" up and the way you could mix and match them to do whatever you wanted, and the feel of the world/quests is really great. I kinda do feel like playing more, but at the same time, the bullet-sponginess of things makes it seem that the game would get kinda boring once I've done the quests once. (tho the sponginess might be due to my build, AR/shotgun, probably should have experiemented with more..)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The gently caress did they break this time?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Len posted:

The gently caress did they break this time?

Fusang / PVP again. They should just give everyone the Fusang pet at this point, whoever thought putting a guardian on a PvP map was a good idea should be shot.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Games back alive, and Fusang instantly popped for me. Might be a good time to try if your able.

Edit: They nerfed the Fusang boss as well, his self healing is no where near as potent as it used to be.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2013

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Cstar posted:

The free week was fairly nice, and I was positively surprised (after Anarchy Online and Conan I wasn't really sure Funcom could really get anything right). I did manage to clear the first area of Egypt (and sneak into the 2nd enough to grab a QL8 AR), but.. Does the combat get any more involved later on? Supposedly there's just one area (Transylvania) left + dungeons, and so far enemies have had "too much" HP and nothing really interesting to mix things up. The charge-up AoE things they do now and then seem to be the only thing, and they've been rather trivial since they are so easy to avoid due to their slow speeds.

Do the dungeons themselves get any more interesting, either? I did normal mode Polaris and the Room 13 thing, and playing as DPS they felt really uninvolved, shoot at stuff that has way too much HP, maybe move a little here and there to avoid an AoE (or hide behind stuff in the Polaris boss). It seems the overall mob/boss design seems to favor the really boring bullet-sponge variety without any interesting tricks (hello 15 million HP event bosses that were super boring to do even on the first time, not to mention doing them multiple times).

A shame, really since I really liked the AP/SP system of "leveling" up and the way you could mix and match them to do whatever you wanted, and the feel of the world/quests is really great. I kinda do feel like playing more, but at the same time, the bullet-sponginess of things makes it seem that the game would get kinda boring once I've done the quests once. (tho the sponginess might be due to my build, AR/shotgun, probably should have experiemented with more..)

The dungeons get progressively more difficult/interesting once you get to Elite and especially Nightmare, which requires specific skills to impair, purge, cleanse, etc.., usually in some firm and worked-out order. Normal dungeons are pretty much "shoot this thing, don't be dumb about AOEs and traps."

Transylvania mobs often have a bit more health, but they also generally have gimmicks you have to plan around depending on what you're fighting. In my own opinion, Egypt (especially City of the Sun God) is probably the worst in the game when it comes to mobs, since they have a good amount of health for that quality level and there's a ton of them packed into a relatively small space - I honestly just blew through CotSG as quick as I could. Be aware, though, that Transylvania has a few missions that you probably won't be able to solo.

That said, the "bullet spongeyness" of the enemies kinda goes away if you've gotten the relevant blues from whatever QL dungeon applies. When you hit Trans or have all QL10 greens, just queue up for Elite dungeons and farm them for a little bit so you can get the necessary blues. It's not necessary, really, you can do the entire zone in QL10 greens, but some places in Transylvania will tear you apart.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Did anyone find Lore #7? Or what the secret word is?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

thegodofchuck posted:

Did anyone find Lore #7? Or what the secret word is?

Yes to the lore In the mission I walk into the Empty, its behind the house. If I am wrong tell me, they all blurred together.

No to the secret word.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

HughGRect posted:

Yes to the lore In the mission I walk into the Empty, its behind the house. If I am wrong tell me, they all blurred together.

No to the secret word.

That's the only one I've not got, so I'd say that's it.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

HughGRect posted:

No to the secret word.
The secret word is Enema.

Ok not really... I have a theory as to what it is, but I'm on cooldown and we'll know for sure by then.

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!

Nombres posted:

The dungeons get progressively more difficult/interesting once you get to Elite and especially Nightmare, which requires specific skills to impair, purge, cleanse, etc.., usually in some firm and worked-out order. Normal dungeons are pretty much "shoot this thing, don't be dumb about AOEs and traps."

Transylvania mobs often have a bit more health, but they also generally have gimmicks you have to plan around depending on what you're fighting. In my own opinion, Egypt (especially City of the Sun God) is probably the worst in the game when it comes to mobs, since they have a good amount of health for that quality level and there's a ton of them packed into a relatively small space - I honestly just blew through CotSG as quick as I could. Be aware, though, that Transylvania has a few missions that you probably won't be able to solo.

That said, the "bullet spongeyness" of the enemies kinda goes away if you've gotten the relevant blues from whatever QL dungeon applies. When you hit Trans or have all QL10 greens, just queue up for Elite dungeons and farm them for a little bit so you can get the necessary blues. It's not necessary, really, you can do the entire zone in QL10 greens, but some places in Transylvania will tear you apart.
Alright, thanks. Guess I'll grab a copy and continue on with my adventures, the lack of subscription makes it a fairly good investment either way it turns out to be, I suppose.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Zephonith posted:

The secret word is Enema.

Ok not really... I have a theory as to what it is, but I'm on cooldown and we'll know for sure by then.

People have been claiming they've spammed everything from anagram generators... and other people have been claiming they've found hidden letters... but they're the official forums so who knows.

EDIT: more since I last looked, sounds like someone found it: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showpost.php?p=1615474&postcount=23

EDIT: just in case people are being extra sensitive

thegodofchuck fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cstar posted:

Alright, thanks. Guess I'll grab a copy and continue on with my adventures, the lack of subscription makes it a fairly good investment either way it turns out to be, I suppose.
Yeah if you're after more complex combat and stuff you'll probably like running Elites and Nightmares. You might also like tanking - there are a lot of mechanics you need to know and counteract to stop everyone from dying. But till you learn them there will be a lot of dying.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hey, where's this Dorito's Lore Library thingy I missed getting posted the first time? I love the game story and setting and wouldn't mind seeing what I skipped out of laziness.

Edit: Thanks, Hugh! Will have to get authed there one of these days.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 10, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Hey, where's this Dorito's Lore Library thingy I missed getting posted the first time? I love the game story and setting and wouldn't mind seeing what I skipped out of laziness.

Here is a link, its on the offsite forums.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yesssssssss thanks to Mumble crew I got right into a Fusang with a boss at 6 million and dropping fast, and got my last Shem in short order. Now I have all the golems and the three cosmetic items, and I can ignore the event for the rest of its duration. Thanks everyone!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
About how long does it take to run through the solo storyline? I played the tutorial and was pretty impressed with the atmosphere/story, but really don't want to be hooked into another really grindy mmo right now. I just kind of want the once-through experience. Is that doable without having to grind lots of mobs/fetch quests?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Meow Tse-tung posted:

About how long does it take to run through the solo storyline? I played the tutorial and was pretty impressed with the atmosphere/story, but really don't want to be hooked into another really grindy mmo right now. I just kind of want the once-through experience. Is that doable without having to grind lots of mobs/fetch quests?
Yeah if you don't want to get involved in the MMO-ish parts, it's perfectly enjoyable as a single player RPG through the Story Missions. You only really need to grind at the end-game level, for Nightmare Dungeons.

Whatever fix they did for Fusang is working really well for me, because I'm getting in really quickly. As in, I'll sign up and be able to get in immediately as either DPS or Tank. Illuminati on Cerberus.

Because of this, I've managed to kill 3 Fusang Guardians today. I have a spare bag! I also, uh, kinda like Fusang.

So I got 13,000 PvP XP today and got the nice Tank uniform for my character to wear outside of Fusang. And then I tried to reproduce the bug that would put me in normal clothes in Fusang, only I was still wearing the PvP uniform so I just looked the same. Except for one clothing item. I am a pretty princess PvP tank.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I want to get into Fusang :(

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013
You and me both. Had no luck on my Templar on Arcadia. I'll probably make a run at it on my Lumie alt tomorrow.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If it stays as easy as it was to get in for me I might make a couple more bag runs for goons.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

A few observations after playing Fusang all day:

* The Guardian seems to be on a 2 and a half hour timer. Maybe 3. The mission itself is on a 1 hour cooldown.
* From the sounds of things, they've nerfed Anima Leech really hard, because he's no more difficult to kill than any of the other Guardians. Except for the infinite ways to grief this one. Like the people casting manifestations on the tank and applying exposed, or the guy who was camping the lore location shouting "I am the Guardian of the Lore!"
* I've been able to enter and leave Fusang as I please. I've left Fusang to cash out enough Venice marks to buy a custom weapon if I want, and I still get back in with zero wait time. I suspect the queue for one Fusang server is broken while the other is working.
* The Fusang bags have a 100% drop rate for the pet.
* Some people are still missing out on mission turn ins for this one, which means you have to petition.

I now have three spare Fusang bags, and will probably concentrate on getting more of these. Will trade for things that are interesting or useful.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
One tip from Hugh I found useful if people are being dicks about the Fusang lore: throw on as much HP gear as you have (I had a comical 15k HP, even I was surprised) and slot the two Chaos Evade abilities (Illusion and Smoke and Mirrors). Charge straight to the lore, and activate your Evade buffs right before you start trying to get the lore. With a bit of luck the HP will keep you alive on the way in and out, and the Evade buffs will let you get the lore without being interrupted by people shooting you. I was able to get it the first time I tried it that way.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
So do anniversary bosses have drops based on zones? Or can you just hang out in one place and farm for stuff?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Fishy Joe posted:

So do anniversary bosses have drops based on zones? Or can you just hang out in one place and farm for stuff?

Originally the loot was based on the region, going to a harder region gave more goodies. Now it seems like the bags all contain the same things.

The exception is that each boss has a chance to drop a pet based off itself, and each region has a unique clothing piece. Soloman Island has an eye patch, Egypt has a monocle and Transylvania has a green eye particle effect.

You only get the reward for killing a boss every two hours, so you can not really farm them without traveling between zones.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
Ah cool thanks. I guess I'll have to log in and try for those clothing pieces, TSW dress up is fun.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Loading Agartha, 3 fps. I think this isn't going to work on the notebook :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Question for those who have finished a large chunk of the game's content: Are there any references anywhere to The Longest Jouney or Dreamfall?

• Locked thread