Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jastiger posted:

I've only ever seen Hiawatha "Afraid" of me. How do I get other guys Afraid of me? Or was it a clever ploy?

I'm curious about this too. I've only seen it once, and even if I've reduced my enemy to a single 2-pop city in the Arctic and razed the rest of their empire with a sea of units an era ahead of them, they're still "guarded" or "hostile," not "afraid." What does this do? Does it mean I can extort poo poo from them, or make demands, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

More often than not, it's a trick. But when it is genuine, it means they dislike you, but your army is way bigger than theirs.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
So far, I've played two games after Brave New World unlocked, and they couldn't have been more different from each other.

The first was an Americas game with Brazil, as I had sworn to play them before any other BNW civ. The Inca, Maya, and Aztec all beat me in priority to the jungle tiles, however, so I was randomly plopped in the Great Lakes of all places. Thankfully, the amount of silk I found scattered around bolstered my economy enough to make up for my deficiencies with sheer gold. This was augmented even further by trade routes with nearby city-states and America...until everything sort of fell apart.

The first horrible event was the founding of the world congress. Embargoes against city-states and America shut my trade routes down, leaving the only trade routes within even slightly feasible distance for me being either a long slog on land to California for the Shoshone or a similarly epic trek by sea to South America’s northern coast for the Inca. The second blow came when my rank three spy that had been sapping scientific giant Montezuma of his techs managed to somehow screw up and get killed. Then, to add insult to injury, once the Information Age rolled around I found myself being ganged up on by the Shoshone army and Mayan navy. I managed to beat them off with the help of America only for the Inca to come out of nowhere with a surprise diplomatic victory in spite of numerous meetings for world leader going nowhere before. :negative:

Thankfully, that crushing defeat was followed by a beautiful victory. As a communist inclined Judaism-spreading Poland I clawed my way through a huge all-out culture war between almost all of the European civs in the game and nabbed the Yuri-ka!, King of the Wisent, and Poland Can Into Space achievements in one fell swoop. While England, the Celts, and (amusingly enough) Germany all gave me flak from the Industrial Age onward and a setback occurred when my valuable cotton resources became a banned luxury, it turns out that having Venice and the Netherlands as your trading buddies is quite lucrative.

My next game is going to be an attempted Freedom space run as Assyria. I only got up to the early Industrial Age and the three factories I needed for an ideology before taking a break, but I have to say I am quite the fan of Ashurbanipal so far. His doom rams helped secure an early lead after nearby Arabia started city-making GBS threads all over the place. He deserved it for sniping Petra from me anyway.

Unrelated to any specific civilization, I’ve noticed that both Order and Freedom can attain the Universal Healthcare ideological tenet. Does anyone happen to know what other tenets happen to be shared between two or more of the three ideologies?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A game or two ago I managed to make Darius "Afraid" of me even though he had a larger military, more and larger cities, and a significant technological advantage (i.e., he had artillery and I didn't). The only thing I can think of is that I'd significantly whupped him in the Classical era and took away all his ports.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Speedball posted:

For the theme bonus. Certain buildings and wonders that house great works like it when you arrange them according to a theme, for example, "All from the same civ and time period" or "all from different civs" or "all from different civs and different time periods." Get the theme right and you produce way more tourism. Doesn't affect the culture gain, though.

I think the theme bonus does help culture. Noticed this when I was moving around some art to create themes.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A game or two ago I managed to make Darius "Afraid" of me even though he had a larger military, more and larger cities, and a significant technological advantage. The only thing I can think of is that I'd significantly whupped him in the Classical era and took away all his ports.

It's probable that the status is bugged or something, but in my experience, when you see this status and it doesn't make sense, it's a trick and you're about to get backstabbed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I never saw a Civ being afraid pre BNW, but my first game in BNW I had the entire world in afraid status after getting the first couple of Atomic Bombs stationed (but unused). Two of them were Guarded previously, one Neutral, and the rest were Friendly. It cleared up as more AIs finished the Manhattan Project, and they returned to their prior statuses.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

In a game (g&k) where I had been allies with Sweden the whole time once he was the last civ remaining he was Afraid, he didn't dislike me before hand and wasn't about to backstab me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sojenus posted:

I think it might increase the pressure to switch to your ideology that much more. May be imagining that though.

Also the Shoshone are probably my new favorite to play with. Got a culture victory far earlier than I anticipated with them, and now playing a game where I've completely dominated the congress. Pathfinders are the best and the extra tiles are great.

I was trying to think of the best possible start for them. If you see a hut on turn 1 I think going pop/culture/tech, wait till turn 20, faith, pop/tech/upgrade? A second culture could be pretty awesome too.

With the early pop you'll get techs a lot faster too. I think actually works out to being better than an instant tech.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
When I've gotten the "Afraid" status pop up, its usually when somebody was hostile to me and then get smashed in a war. I demanded some money from them and they actually gave it to me!

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm curious about this too. I've only seen it once, and even if I've reduced my enemy to a single 2-pop city in the Arctic and razed the rest of their empire with a sea of units an era ahead of them, they're still "guarded" or "hostile," not "afraid." What does this do? Does it mean I can extort poo poo from them, or make demands, or what?

I've seen it a couple of times in G&K with Monty, Pachacuti and Maria Theresa and I managed to squeeze free luxuries from them (using the Demand option, not "what do you want from this"). You get a negative modifier of course but yeah...

I wish tomorrow was friday sooo bad. :negative:

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone try a game a Portugal yet?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can Great Works of Writing even achieve a theming bonus? I can't seem to get one in the Great Library no matter what I do :saddowns:

Yes they can, but with the GL you need another great work from another era AND another civ.

So swap one of your writing works with another civ and make sure that neither one of the works you're putting in there has the same era or the same civ.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fryhtaning posted:

Theming bonuses. When you see buildings or wonders in the culture screen that are multi-slotted, mouse-over the "+0" that you most likely have sitting next to it and it'll tell you what you need to do to get a theme bonus.

Most of them are basically that everything needs to be the exact same, or everything needs to be different. I.e. if you put two ancient era beads from Venice into the Museum, you'll get +4 tourism. If you put two ancient era artifacts in the Museum, one from Venice, one from barbarians, you'll get +2. If neither matches, you don't get any.

Conversely, some buildings want 2 or 3 completely different great works in order to get the bonus. So you have to trade the ones you find to get other peoples'. For example, you might need a medieval Mayan writer, a renaissance Greek writer, and an industrial German writer to get the +4 or +6 theme bonus from one building. If you have two great works that are from the same era or the same civilization, for those specific buildings, you get nothing on top of what the great works already provide.

:aaa:

Quoting this entirely because it's useful, thanks

I could have had more culture and tourism on the culture victory game I won :mad:

Also that seems... a bit like pointless busy work. There's not much 'play' there, unless I'm missing something, just fill square hole with neighbors square peg in exchange for your round one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

victrix posted:

Also that seems... a bit like pointless busy work. There's not much 'play' there, unless I'm missing something, just fill square hole with neighbors square peg in exchange for your round one.

The "play" is whether you do it diplomatically or "diplomatically," using your army to do the talking for you. There's something rewarding about conquest in the name of culture.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

There's something rewarding about conquest in the name of culture.

Heil Hitler.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008
Is there anyway to get rid of great works? I got a little trigger happy with archeology, so all my art slots are filled with artifacts, but I need art for some theme bonuses.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bloodly posted:

...The X-Com Squad DOES need Aliens to shoot. Though I imagine there aren't really many/any big conversion Civs like that.

Surprise Double-Civilization DLC: The Manifold Caretakers and the Manifold Usurpers.

"Your empire: a little on the weak side. Your back: something you should watch."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fryhtaning posted:

Heil Hitler.

Well, I guess since so many stupid people were asking for Hitler in the game, the next best thing is allowing you to enrich your civilization culturally by killing people and stealing their great works of art.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hey, it belongs in a museum.

On the subject of genocide, what's the strategic consensus on puppetting cities vs. razing them and planting your own settlers? Sometimes it seems easier to just burn down a city with a strong foreign religion rather than wait for it to convert with pressure or spend missionaries.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bloodly posted:

Because I don't know the game: Can Barbarians not hold cities?

They can but it's extremely rare in Civ5 because they don't get siege equipment. In Civ4 you saw it all the time since barbs founded cities and you could capture a city by just walking into it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

uPen posted:

They can but it's extremely rare in Civ5 because they don't get siege equipment. In Civ4 you saw it all the time since barbs founded cities and you could capture a city by just walking into it.

Can they? Is this new in BNW? I've never seen it in a screen shot or anything. Do the cities then pump out barb units like camps do?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm playing my first game of BNW as America, and Mark Twain was born in my capital and wrote The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn*. I don't know why this makes me very happy but it feels really neat to me.

*in 520 AD

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

uPen posted:

I thought they just razed it?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Oh, is there any info on the hidden antiquity sites? Are they basically exactly the same as a regular archaeological site, but only visible/workable to those who finished the Exploration tree?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Huh, what's your problem with it? The only complaint I have with the minimap is that it would be nice if it showed borders over water. It already shows mointain ranges, so I don't know what other terrain you'd expect. If it showed ever plains, grassland, etc. tile as a different color, that would be incredibly distracting. You already have strategic mode if you want to see that anyways.

I can't recall a single game where a detailed minimap has been distracting including Civ IV. Heck, I'm pretty sure even III had it. It's not a huge deal but on top of looking a lot prettier, being able to see stuff like tundras and deserts at a glance would be a nice thing to have.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm in a pretty weird game, 6 civs on a medium Pangea Plus map, king difficulty, epic speed. The first war just started, in turn 424!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

With trade routes, does resource diversity take into account your city connections, or does it only include the resources available to the actual city of origin for the trade route? For example if I'm establishing a trade route from one of my cities that has access to Cotton and Silk, but it's also connected by road to the capital, which has access to Oranges and Salt, will the resource diversity bonus be based on all four resources, or only the two that are present at the city?

I'm just trying to figure out good rules of thumb for setting up trade routes; I wish the game gave you an overview of all potential trade routes (by both land and sea) from all of your cities so that you could make a more informed decision...I feel like I'm guessing a lot of the time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've played multiple games, have yet to win. I finally decided to step down from King to Prince, which sucks because I fought hard to get the skills to move up from Prince while still having fun. The changes and the AI improvements really make it so that many players will need to take a step down in difficulty.

Also, Diplomacy seems to actually matter, as in if you're friendly the AI will actually respect your requests. In my longest running failed game as Brazil, Maria Teresa went mad with religion and started to spread it to my cities, removing my own nice religion. I politely asked her to stop after the first one and she did...for the entire game! She never tried to convert a city again outside of pressure wars that I was always winning due to Religious Texts. I know she was constantly spamming missionaries because she kept sending them across my territory to spread elsewhere, but she never tried to convert my cities again.

Ainsley McTree posted:

With trade routes, does resource diversity take into account your city connections, or does it only include the resources available to the actual city of origin for the trade route? For example if I'm establishing a trade route from one of my cities that has access to Cotton and Silk, but it's also connected by road to the capital, which has access to Oranges and Salt, will the resource diversity bonus be based on all four resources, or only the two that are present at the city?

I'm just trying to figure out good rules of thumb for setting up trade routes; I wish the game gave you an overview of all potential trade routes (by both land and sea) from all of your cities so that you could make a more informed decision...I feel like I'm guessing a lot of the time.

Only the improved Luxury and Strategic resources the city itself is able to gather. And note that having multiples of a single resource does not affect this in any way (which is a shame because that would make Arabia's UB even more insane).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Did they increase barbarian spawns, because I've been playing as Venice and they've been spawning like crazy and Raging Barbarians isn't on. It's really annoying and tedious, I'll think go back to not having them in the game at all again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Accordion Man posted:

Did they increase barbarian spawns, because I've been playing as Venice and they've been spawning like crazy and Raging Barbarians isn't on. It's really annoying and tedious, I'll think go back to not having them in the game at all again.

I think you might just notice more because your trade routes are very sensitive to barbarian influence.

I played a game as Venice last night and after the galleys killed my routes for the 4th time I got a melee unit and a Frigate and blasted all the encampments I could find into the ground.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Arrinien posted:

If you mean the Reformation beliefs, you get to pick as soon as you select the policy, you don't need another prophet.

Ah, so it's tied into the Policy social tree? That would be why I never got the option then.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Alkydere posted:

Also, Diplomacy seems to actually matter, as in if you're friendly the AI will actually respect your requests. In my longest running failed game as Brazil, Maria Teresa went mad with religion and started to spread it to my cities, removing my own nice religion. I politely asked her to stop after the first one and she did...for the entire game! She never tried to convert a city again outside of pressure wars that I was always winning due to Religious Texts. I know she was constantly spamming missionaries because she kept sending them across my territory to spread elsewhere, but she never tried to convert my cities again.

I don't know about this. Portugal prophet bombed my holy city, so I asked her to stop. She agreed. The very next turn she converted my second city. We had a DOF and were on friendly terms. I think AI generally respects requests, which is certainly a change, but it's not black and white. I have yet to figure it out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magicaljesus posted:

I don't know about this. Portugal prophet bombed my holy city, so I asked her to stop. She agreed. The very next turn she converted my second city. We had a DOF and were on friendly terms. I think AI generally respects requests, which is certainly a change, but it's not black and white. I have yet to figure it out.

It might depend on AI personality. Also, remember that in life Maria I was literally bat-poo poo, screaming banshee insane, so take anything she says with a heaping mound of salt.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I've been hit and miss with barbarians. Some maps I've been attacked by up to 4 at a time and other times just 1 like normal.

But the thing that I am not getting is Tourism. I am playing as Venice and I own 2 cities(including my cap) I have rushed for, and gotten, every thing that bumps up Tourism. I currently get +86 a turn but I don't know how the hell I'll catch up to some of the other peoples Culture. Is there a way I can screw up how much culture they get or something without going to war?
I've been making GBS threads out great people like crazy and making as many great works as I can fit but it seems like it will take me 100+ turns to win this way

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

I think you might just notice more because your trade routes are very sensitive to barbarian influence.

I played a game as Venice last night and after the galleys killed my routes for the 4th time I got a melee unit and a Frigate and blasted all the encampments I could find into the ground.

This is why Venice has Great Galleases!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

This is definitely my case as well. I've got a city placed as a bit of a trade hub to act as a go-between from my main little empire and the rest of the continent (playing on Huge, so there's a ton of space), and I have to watch the routes like a hawk, because camps can and will form in even a one hex shroud.

It's honestly a bit annoying, and I will kiss the first modder to program in a patrol function.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I've been hit and miss with barbarians. Some maps I've been attacked by up to 4 at a time and other times just 1 like normal.

But the thing that I am not getting is Tourism. I am playing as Venice and I own 2 cities(including my cap) I have rushed for, and gotten, every thing that bumps up Tourism. I currently get +86 a turn but I don't know how the hell I'll catch up to some of the other peoples Culture. Is there a way I can screw up how much culture they get or something without going to war?
I've been making GBS threads out great people like crazy and making as many great works as I can fit but it seems like it will take me 100+ turns to win this way

Do you have Hotels yet? That provides a big boost. The Internet tech does as well, but that's later in the game. If you're Brazil, you can also try to trigger Carnival.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Mt. Kilimanjaro's altitude training seems amazing for cavalry/tanks. Suddenly their high mobility actually means a poo poo in most places, allowing you to perform hit-and-runs everywhere. Now if only I had a way to deal with these drat rivers this game...

FYI you do not need a city near the thing to get the upgrade. I got it from passing through an unsettled, remote location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

More often than not, it's a trick. But when it is genuine, it means they dislike you, but your army is way bigger than theirs.

You get afraid status just by dwarfing their military, although it depends on the Civ. South Americans are apparently scaredy cats because I've had both Maya and Inca regard me that way frequently. England is another one, and I've had Monty act that way as well, but never Alex, Bismark or Harold.

• Locked thread