Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Jesus, EU Rome must have done really, really, really poorly even they're talking about a kickstarter to gauge interest. Of course, I'm inclined to think that it did poorly because it was a so-so game, and and a full-fledged Rome/Ancient Empires game that got the same love as CKII or EUIV would do tons better.

I think they're really underestimating the number of people that would buy EU Rome 2. If Victoria 2 sold enough copies to justify two expansions, I can't imagine that a game about one of the most political-intriguey, empire-buildey eras of all time would be a bad bet.

Perhaps they're also putting a lot of weight on the subject matter, but then I'd like to offer up CK2 as a counter-point to that: CK2 is a straight-up great strategy game, medieval setting notwithstanding, and I think that a Rome game done really well would sell really well, even for those people for whom the Ancient Age setting isn't really a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

So, uh, guys, in a week the Three Month Rule ends for HoD and someone can finally LP it. Is anyone up for the task? Because I'll do it if nobody else comes forward.
I'm considering it, but don't let me stop you from doing your own.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

Does Steppe Wolfe count as an antiquity mod? I've had fun with it, because it's the most beautiful trainwreck I've ever seen.

Steppe Wolfe is whatever you want it to be.

I so hope that that team makes a Steppe Wolfe mod for EU4.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Perhaps they're also putting a lot of weight on the subject matter, but then I'd like to offer up CK2 as a counter-point to that: CK2 is a straight-up great strategy game, medieval setting notwithstanding, and I think that a Rome game done really well would sell really well, even for those people for whom the Ancient Age setting isn't really a draw.

I'd say that the setting was a strength if anything, really. CK2 has been able to draw a larger audience, and a lot of those players like the era the game is set in. I'd say there's a large overlap between those interested in a Medieval setting and those interested in an Antiquity setting.

Also I want my absurdly long mega-LP, drat it.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Am I the only one who has always viewed Rome as the most "popular" historical setting. Only challenger is really ww2.

So if Paradox want to get more people to Grand Strategy a EU: Rome II or an "easy" Hearts of Iron would be the best ways to go.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

lullelulle posted:

Am I the only one who has always viewed Rome as the most "popular" historical setting. Only challenger is really ww2.

So if Paradox want to get more people to Grand Strategy a EU: Rome II or an "easy" Hearts of Iron would be the best ways to go.

A game focused on the Fall of Rome, make it happen Paradox.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Vicky2 mod question, is there one that simplifies the soldier pops? As in unifies total soldier pops into something like manpower?
This is the only thing that really annoys me these days, I am not sure if it's because of assimilation or migration but I constantly have to replace regiments because the pop got too small. It feels like a terrible mechanic for someone who likes "symetrical" stacks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think they're really underestimating the number of people that would buy EU Rome 2. If Victoria 2 sold enough copies to justify two expansions, I can't imagine that a game about one of the most political-intriguey, empire-buildey eras of all time would be a bad bet.

Isn't CK2's great strength that it's a soap opera game, not a strategy game? Not that this is an argument against a Rome game, but it should perhaps explicitly not be an EU game. It would also be really funny if Paradox took great care in making characters look prettier than their CK2 counterparts, and the map/interface brighter, happier and more colorful, to really play up the grandeur of Rome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't CK2's great strength that it's a soap opera game, not a strategy game? Not that this is an argument against a Rome game, but it should perhaps explicitly not be an EU game. It would also be really funny if Paradox took great care in making characters look prettier than their CK2 counterparts, and the map/interface brighter, happier and more colorful, to really play up the grandeur of Rome.

Yeah, Rome suffers a bit from the EU prefix and not really being sure what kind of game it wants to be. I'm not entirely sure what I'd want Rome 2.

I have this vague idea that it should be a game based around the assumption that the player is only going to play as the Roman Republic, in a way that would almost be like managing several dynasties in CK2 simultaneously. You have to try and expand and preserve the glory of Rome, while trying to balance the political factions within the Senate looking to advance their personal power. As the player you want to try to preserve the senate because it makes the Empire governable, but this gets harder and harder as time goes on and eventually when someone declares a civil war you'll want to pick to play as the side trying to set up an imperial dynasty.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think a new Rome game would sell like loving hotcakes nowadays. EU: Rome was admittedly not particularly great but with the increased quality of PI games since and including CK2 and all the lessons they've learned since then--not to mention the increased consumer base, since I'm pretty sure CK2 had a much wider release than most grand strategy games--a new Rome would be great and appeal to a lot of people. A little bit of EU, a little bit of Victoria, and a lot of CK2 would make a perfect Rome game.

I don't know, I'm sure the guys at PI thought a lot more about this then I have, so maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that I've always been hoping they'd give Rome another shot ever since CK2 came out and was so amazing. I know I would be a guaranteed purchase, if nothing else.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I think a new Rome game would sell like loving hotcakes nowadays. EU: Rome was admittedly not particularly great but with the increased quality of PI games since and including CK2 and all the lessons they've learned since then--not to mention the increased consumer base, since I'm pretty sure CK2 had a much wider release than most grand strategy games--a new Rome would be great and appeal to a lot of people. A little bit of EU, a little bit of Victoria, and a lot of CK2 would make a perfect Rome game.

I don't know, I'm sure the guys at PI thought a lot more about this then I have, so maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that I've always been hoping they'd give Rome another shot ever since CK2 came out and was so amazing. I know I would be a guaranteed purchase, if nothing else.

From what I remember of the stream, they basically said "Yeah, the people calling for Rome 2 sure are great..and loud. But, uh, barely any. Think about it like this: Do you think you would make a profit off of it?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beamed posted:

From what I remember of the stream, they basically said "Yeah, the people calling for Rome 2 sure are great..and loud. But, uh, barely any. Think about it like this: Do you think you would make a profit off of it?"

Well, I think they could. I'm pretty sure Ancient Rome is more popular among a general audience than the Victorian Era.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My biggest fear is that if they decide to do Rome, they'll make a half-assed half-game out of it, such as Sengoku, MoTE or, well, the original Rome. Getting a Crusader Romans sort of thing would be mighty cool, especially since it'd lend itself well to CK-like DLC scheme, adding new mechanics and unlocking Carthage, Gallic Tribes, Diadochi dynasties and whatnot.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah, Paradox has this tendency to make half-arsed games every now and then.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Lichtenstein posted:

My biggest fear is that if they decide to do Rome, they'll make a half-assed half-game out of it, such as Sengoku, MoTE or, well, the original Rome. Getting a Crusader Romans sort of thing would be mighty cool, especially since it'd lend itself well to CK-like DLC scheme, adding new mechanics and unlocking Carthage, Gallic Tribes, Diadochi dynasties and whatnot.

Even if this was to happen, modders could turn it around and make a great game.

I generally think if they ever dabbled in the period again, it wouldn't be a half arsed job.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

BillBear posted:

Even if this was to happen, modders could turn it around and make a great game.

Got a link to that Sengoku mod handy? :smug:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Or the Diplomacy mod. :smugdog:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Rome would work best as yet another DLC for CK2. Or as a standalone scenario with the CK2 engine, CK2: The Rise and Fall of Rome.

The CK2 interface and character driven game in my opinion is a better way of handling the pre-EU3 games. Victoria and Hearts of Iron are just too complicated, and EU is a country-centric game and doesn't work as well for something like Rome where personal interactions are the way countries are run.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
For a Fall of Rome game, they'd need to build in mechanics that actually encourage the player to let Rome fall. The player should be one of the political dynasties, using intrigue and forcing civil wars to keep your guy on the emperor's throne. Things like the Year of the 4 Emperors should be common and encouraged.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gorgo Primus posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?658595-Sengoku-There-s-too-many-warring-states-in-Japan

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah Rome was already kinda half assed in that the game really wanted you to either play as Rome and nothing else, or quickly become a Rome-like republic/empire ASAP. It had some cool ideas, (I loved the sacrificing to the god(s) mechanic) but if you wanted to play as say a random Gaul nation, you had little to no ability to get CBs or find out what CBs you have, you will be raided by barbarians you have no hope of protecting yourself against, and if you wait too long (about 20 years) any war you declare will involve Rome (although iirc a beta patch fixed this). Wiz's mod fixed a lot of these problems but to compare it to say EUIII, the base game was underwhelming.

That said, given what they said in that video that was linked earlier, it seems to me Paradox's position on it is if they do it, they don't want to half rear end it, which does give me hope even if it reduces the chances it would be made, that if it ever did happen it wouldn't be half assed. I would totally donate to a Kickstarter for it at least :v:.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Gorgo Primus posted:

Let's forget that game ever existed. :colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

I have this vague idea that it should be a game based around the assumption that the player is only going to play as the Roman Republic, in a way that would almost be like managing several dynasties in CK2 simultaneously.

Y'know, I could almost get on board with that. Make the entire game built around playing as Rome or a family in the Roman Republic. Go into plenty of detail with the government etc, and then you could unlock other factions with large (Old Gods scale) DLC/expansions, like one that unlocks and details the Diadochi like the Ptolomeys and Seleucids, one that unlocks Gauls/Britons/Germans, etc.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

That's a mod for CK2, not Sengoku. That's like saying you can make Diplomacy a great game by modding it, and then linking to MoTE with the countries changed to those circa 1912.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

According to certain folks at the Paradox forums, you're close-minded and uncreative if you don't think EU4 will be suitable for a World War One scenario. :eng99: Why don't more people just turn to Darkest Hour if they want a WWI game, rather than trying to force cumbersome mechanics into games which were clearly not made for it?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Nightblade posted:

In my latest Japan game I westernised sometimes in the 1840s after annexing Dai Nam. China was their ally and I beat them up so bad they fell to reactionary rebels shortly after. All the substates became independent and..

:getin:
Japan has got to be the one of the best nations to do a world conquest with. Has anyone tried it in HoD?

Now do it as Korea :getin:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I always figured that the most interesting thing about the Roman Republic was the interplay between foreign policy and internal power struggles. Yeah, Caesar's conquests are pretty cool, but the thing that really makes us/the Romans care about them is the fact that they meant immense political power. That, I think, should be at the core of a Rome game, the idea that the Roman Republic doing really good is a double edged sword, if it's really a single general that's doing all the heavy lifting. It's also the opposite focus of the EU games, which are very much about internal policies serving foreign policies, instead of foreign policies serving internal goals. I also think this would really work best if everyone else were just part of the environment the Roman Republic existed in, because otherwise you would really take the focus away from the internal politics. Well, part of the environment until Rome conquers them, and they eventually become players that upset the balance of power once more.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Nightblade posted:

In my latest Japan game I westernised sometimes in the 1840s after annexing Dai Nam. China was their ally and I beat them up so bad they fell to reactionary rebels shortly after. All the substates became independent and..

Japan has got to be the one of the best nations to do a world conquest with. Has anyone tried it in HoD?

How the hell did you manage to get 94% literacy after conquering China?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Only full states should count towards literacy, and there's so drat many pops in China that they'll never promote.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nightblade posted:

The most unbelievable thing about this screenshot is that you have 0 unread newspapers in the 1890's.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DerLeo posted:

Only full states should count towards literacy, and there's so drat many pops in China that they'll never promote.

Yeah, that, but I actually managed to turn quite a few of them into full states.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beamed posted:

I don't know if this is the actual case or not, but I get the impression from how they talk about that stuff that they attribute the failure of Rome to the setting. Like, "Rome sold poorly, so I guess people don't want Roman era strategy games from us." If that's what they're doing, then I couldn't disagree more. To be frank, Rome didn't sell well because it just wasn't a very good game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If PI doesn't have any particularly enthusiastic and skilled Classicists or Antiquarians on staff, having experience from CK2 and such isn't going to really help that much. The fact that they have staff who love making a medieval intrigue simulator is a lot of why CK2 is a strong game, and those parts may not be interchangeable with making a Rome-based game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know if this is the actual case or not, but I get the impression from how they talk about that stuff that they attribute the failure of Rome to the setting. Like, "Rome sold poorly, so I guess people don't want Roman era strategy games from us." If that's what they're doing, then I couldn't disagree more. To be frank, Rome didn't sell well because it just wasn't a very good game.

That, and the fact that it was a new IP instead of a sequel, which I think is bullshit. I think stuff like Rome and Sengoku weren't as popular and didn't do as well because they were smaller games of more limited scope done more quickly.
My suspicion is that even if the first Crusader Kings had never existed and CKII had been an entirely new game (but otherwise identical) it would have done just as well or nearly as well in the long run. I loved CKI, but I'm not under any illusions that it sold zillions of copies and established a well known ip that moved truckloads of the sequel. CKII sold because it is a great game. Stuff like Rome and Sengoku... less so.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
CK2 sold because it actually has a user interface.

I actually cannot play EU3 because it is a nightmare trying to work out what the hell is actually going on. Also it is ugly as sin.

V2 is bearable, but the economy system in it and working out why things don;t work is a nightmare.

I wanted to play these games for so long and could only get started with CK2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Antinumeric posted:

CK2 sold because it actually has a user interface.

No, Vicky 2 has a nice interface. It's just a nice interface that shows you a fundamentally impenetrable spreadsheet of game mechanics. CK2 sold because the core concepts are accessible and fun.

Paradox games aren't really set by time period - they're set by theme. It isn't enough to say that a game set in the classical era would be fun, you need to work out exactly what that game would be about. My view is that for the game to be really good then Paradox would have to depart from the usual sandbox design and centre everything around the unique experience of guiding the Roman Republic. But perhaps that isn't right.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Paradox games aren't really set by time period - they're set by theme. It isn't enough to say that a game set in the classical era would be fun, you need to work out exactly what that game would be about. My view is that for the game to be really good then Paradox would have to depart from the usual sandbox design and centre everything around the unique experience of guiding the Roman Republic. But perhaps that isn't right.
Why can't the sandbox simply be the Roman Republic/Empire? But yeah, I completely agree about the first part. It's all well and good to find an interesting time period, but capturing a theme is what's going to make a great game.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I think they could do both a Sandbox and a really good Roman Empire. Do something like CK2, where they make the base game just about the Romans, and then release DLCs that add in functionality for Carthage, Greek city states and etc.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think Rome 2 would succeed best as a stand-alone expansion or such to CK2. You play a family in the Republic, and its your goal to build up support in the Senate so you can be elected to offices, be granted rule over provinces, and finally become so powerful you can overthrow the Senate and rule as Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla
May 10, 2008
A Civil War game or DLC based on the MoTE engine would be pretty successful, I imagine.

• Locked thread