Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ledgem posted:

Oh sorry, Malifaux.Should I edit the post and add it in too or is this fine?

That'd be Wyrd Miniatures, and nah I got you this time, just remember for next month. Thanks!

enri posted:

Sorry for being a pain in the arse :ohdear:

Having said that...

:toot::siren: Oath addition! I enri, hereby oath to paint one 40mm base, made by Games Workshop, this is.. er.. 28mm scale?! :siren::toot:

This will be my 'get based out!' entry but I'll mention that again in my oath complete post just to be thorough about it :)

Hope that's all cool :ohdear:

What are you gonna put on it, though? Your epic guys? Or... yeah, I guess according to the rules, you don't have to have a model on there, huh. Are you just going to post the finished base in your oath complete, for judging, but then later mount a model on it? That works apparently!

krushgroove posted:

:siren: ATTENTION PRIZEWINNERS :siren:

All your loot is in the post as of tomorrow :)

EXCEPT:

I also haven't mailed the Infinity prize to Nathonicus yet. My excuse has to do with feral kittens. I am going to try very hard to get it out tomorrow though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dagon posted:

quote:

I, Dagon, oath 10 Games-Workshop Kroot for July

Pre primer and pre cut and swap, any green on the base is just sand and flock that will be primed over.

Since these are sniper Kroot, I cut off the extra blades and crap from their guns, and added various bipods, pouches, and sights.

Oath Complete

Thanks, camera, for showing spots I missed and just how shiny these are under light. Anyway, this is a Themed Group too.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 10, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Some Dullcote (or airbrush some semi-gloss lacquer on there) and you're golden! I don't like kroot (I've only played against them a couple of times) but they look a bit better in green than they do in brown.

Anyway, just to repost this in case anyone missed the edit I did to my last post (at the bottom of the last page):

We now have OATHBREAKER REPENTANCE
We've also worked out how to implement the 'repentance' for past failed oaths, which sadly won't involve making any videos of you dancing your way into bloomers made from pizza, but it'll allow everyone to salvage a little bit just in case they haven't been able to finish an oath. The way this works is: complete a Save Da Whales (re-oath a partially completed oath and finish it) and you'll still be eligible for the consistency bonus that you missed out on by initially failing the oath. For details on this works, look for (or do a Control-F for) 'How to Save Your Failed Oath' and 'End-of-Season Bonuses' in the OP. You can do multiple Save Da Whales to earn your way towards multiple consistency bonuses.

The consistency bonuses have been updated as well, to this:

quote:

Good Start! - complete 3 oaths (this is new)
You missed a bit - complete 6 oaths
Captain Consistency - complete 9 oaths
Butter-Smooth! complete 12 oaths!
all consistency bonuses stack with each other, so if you complete 12 oaths you will get an extra 4 points, but if you only complete 11 oaths you will get 3 points

These used to be 'oath at least 6 out of 12 months', 'oath at least 9 out of 12 months', but now it's more specific to awarding completed oaths. Essentially for every 3 oaths you complete, you get an extra point. This change doesn't affect anyone at the moment, since we've only completed 2 months of this oathing season, and if you're completing this month's oath and have completed the last 2 months' as well, hey that's an extra point! It's like being on Oprah! Extra points for everyone!

Anyway, just wanted to make sure people saw this.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Leperflesh posted:

What are you gonna put on it, though? Your epic guys? Or... yeah, I guess according to the rules, you don't have to have a model on there, huh. Are you just going to post the finished base in your oath complete, for judging, but then later mount a model on it? That works apparently!

:psyduck: I hadn't really thought about it, initially it was going to be a space marine captain of some description but as I'm horribly indecisive I decided I'd just oath the base alone and decide on that later on. I'll include it for the sake of judging at the end of the month and if I do put something on it, it won't be part of an oath most likely (to keep things simple :))

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have dorked around so far and now it's a third of the way through the month. Doh. Guess I am going to take it easy.

:siren:I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Assault on Black Reach Nob:siren:

I will be doing the cut and swap thing and post the follow-up later!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hi everyone! No I'm not oathing anything, I'm too busy packing for 2 consecutive trips that see me out of town until the 21st, plus I don't know what I have that I can Cut And Swap to satisfy the requirements of the Detektuv's Jurnal.

Instead, I have a gentle reminder for y'all (sorry, my Texan is coming out):
1. Remember please no more than 4 pictures per model or group of models!
2. Please keep all your Oath Complete pictures under 1024 pixels across!

These rules are meant to keep things from getting to the point where some folks have a billion extreme close-up pictures of their models under a microscope while others have one blurry picture for the judges to check out.

Here's the complete set of relevant rules from the OP:

quote:

NUMBER OF PICTURES
To limit the number of entries that have a huge number of pictures, we have a hard limit of how many pictures will be allowed per entry:
  • An 'entry' means a single model, whether a single individual on foot or a vehicle, OR a group of individuals (like army squad) or vehicles (an air squadron or tank platoon)
  • Every participant is allowed 2 pictures of each entry: for example, front & rear, left & ride, front & 3/4 view, etc.
  • Every participant is also allowed 1 close-up picture of up to 2 single models, whether an individual or vehicle, OR 2 close-up pictures of a single model

This means that if you oath and complete 1 model, you can have 4 pictures maximum. Also if you have a squad of 2, 5, 10, 30, 100 guys, you can have 4 pictures maximum. However, if you have 2 different groups of models, say a Dreadball team and a Malifaux starter set in the same oath or oath addition, you can have up to 8 pictures (4 pictures of each entry). The idea here is to take a couple of 'overview' pictures of your group of models, and find the BEST 1 or 2 models for close-ups. This allows the judges to get a sense of the color matching and theme of your group, and then get an idea of your final execution with your paints, brushes and skill. This also limits the number of extreme close-up shots anyone can submit.

This is purely to limit the number of completed posts that have 1 picture a squad of 5-10 models...and 5 pictures for every single model. There are very few people who do this, but when someone does a nice model group and has just 1 or 2 pictures, and someone else has an equally skilled presentation and has 30 pictures, there's a problem.

When collecting the pictures from the completed posts at the end of each month, I'll only take the first 4 pictures of each group, and then move on to the next entry in the post and take the first 4 pictures for that group.

Composite photos: Based on current entries, 5 is the average number of photos that are used for composite/montage photos, so 5 will be the maximum. The composite photos should still be under 1024 pixels wide and include the username of the participant.

PICTURE SIZES AND HOSTING
Initially I wasn't bothered about the size of the photos, but for the people that are going for judging points, it's unfair if some people have 3000px wide images straight out of their camera (the equivalent of taking a loupe or magnifying glass to a model if it were in your hands) and others have a picture 400px wide because they've cropped their photos properly. I'm sure no one had any intentions of taking advantage and most people have just posted links to their original images, but we'll need to implement something to make sure everyone gets a fair shake.

So, what that means if you use the various free image hosting solutions:
Imgur:
if you upload something straight from your camera, use the 'Large Thumbnail' BB code, which provides a link to a 640px-wide picture. If you edit your photos, resize it to 1024px or less wide, upload it and feel free to use the 'Original' BB code Imgur provides.
Google Photos/Picasa: open the image in your album and just right-click and 'Copy image URL', the photo will be between 600-800px across
Flickr: find the image in your album, right-click and select 'View Large' size, then right-click and 'Copy image URL', the photo will be 1024px across
Photobucket: use Imgur.com instead, as mentioned previously Photobucket pictures can disappear from your post for some reason. Imgur doesn't require signing up, but if you do your previous pictures are saved and can be organized into albums.
LPix: I'm not familiar with this site but it's free and unlimited to use for SA goons

Using these sizes also helps keep the thread browsing easy, with no need for the 'timg' tag and no pictures going wider than the thread tables.

If you don't edit your photo sizes and just upload the original photo you've taken, I'll resize them to to 640 as mentioned above, but I won't do any editing other than that (no sharpening, no filters, nothing!). If your photo is smaller than that, I won't be blowing it up to that size (because it'll look worse). You have plenty of opportunity for editing your pictures to make them look their best (Google even does 'Auto-Enhance'!) so I will leave that to you guys and gals.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath complete! One GW Runtherd with 'upgrade' :)

I did this month's Detektuv’s Jurnal: Cut And Swap by swapping out the left hand/forearm for a space marine power fist.

I'm also claiming Speed Painting. Here's the before/after pics:

And while I'm at it, have a Backstory!

quote:

Grabla the ork stumbled into the doc's surgery/workshop clutching the remains of his arm, after foolishly trying to retrieve his favourite shock-stikk that had fallen in to the squig pen.

"Doc, you az got to 'elp me!"

The doc took one look at Grabla, and began shaking his head

"Dat looks bad, you iz gonna need a new arm. Luckily I just 'ad a speshul delivery"

The doc walk over to rummage in big metal bin of body parts, pulling out a limp space marine torso. With a quick twist, he snapped off the arm sheathed in a big blue power fist.

"I 'erd this 'ere is as strong as a power klaw. It'll do just da job. Why don't you sit right 'ere and we'll get to work..."

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
I finally got my Cyclops cut and reposed. Oof! what a task.
Here's the new pose:

which involved cutting the arm into 3 pieces and a whole lot of green stuff:

And the original:

Man I hope this turns out ok when its painted...

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Khadhul posted:

I Khadhul, oath to paint during the month of July, one Space Marine Commander from Games Workshop/Forgeworld.

Serotonin posted:

I, Serotonin, oath 1 Shaltari Gaia Heavy Gate, 2 Spirit Light Gates and 4 stands of Shaltari Braves (12 troops)for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames for July

Grabpot Thundergust posted:

I, Grabpot Thundergust, do oath that I shall paint these 5 GW Deathwing Terminators.

Android posted:

I, Android oath two obliterators and a Nurgle sorcerer from Gw and one Caledonian volunteer from Corvus Belli.

Signal posted:

I, Signal, oath to paint two Marseille Class Cruisers, eight Lyon Class Frigates, one Voltaire Heavy Interceptor and sixteen Tiny Fliers from Dystopian Wars/Spartan Games (in 1:1200 scale, I think) and two Crusader Brethren from Infinity/Corvus Belli in 28mm

SRM posted:

Gotta Do This Bonus Style! I, SRM, am making an additional Oath!
I am oathing ten counts-as Iron Warriors Plague Marines, made with Games Workshop bits.

Derlix posted:

I, Derlix, oath these botes!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

:siren: I TarDolphinorShark oath 1 Pathfinder Goblin from Reaper. :siren:

A_Bluenoser posted:

I, A_Bluenoser, oath these 24 French Napoleonic Infanterie de Ligne from Baccus Miniatures. The scale is 6mm.

Fyrbrand posted:

Oathing a Khador Battlegroup box. INcludes the following models:
Warcaster Kommander Sorscha
Destroyer Heavy Warjack
Juggernaut Heavy Warjack

Mt. ORourke posted:

Oath Addition!
1 Cyclops Raider (Privateer Press)

Ledgem posted:

Oathing for July: Yan lo, Soul Porter, Two ashigaru and Izamu the Armour

Grey Hunter posted:

I Grey Hunter, Wish to add this Kroot Shaper to my oath.

enri posted:

Oath addition! I enri, hereby oath to paint one 40mm base, made by Games Workshop, this is.. er.. 28mm scale?!

Ashcans posted:

I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Assault on Black Reach Nob

:thumbsup: Accepted!

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
I am in the wrong thread. Whoops!

But it will be useful to me in the future. As I try to get through all these Bones.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Well, I am a little behind with all the rules and crazy new things. But I missed some months already, and I want to get back into oathing. At least I don't have to min-max for all the little points since I am quite out of the running by now. Maybe I can just... paint. What a concept.

I WhiteOutMouse oath 4 of the long aegis defence line walls *Games Workshop.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I, Bavius, oath to Save Da Whales on my Zhadsnark Biker Boss and do solemnly oath to paint 12 Ork boyz - all 28 mm GW models

Just got told I'll be looking for a new place to live so I want these finished before I pack them up and lose them.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
I, Avenger_Mullah, hereby oath 1 strip of Warmaster black orcs (GW), 1 Grandpa Dunger (Ramshackle), 1 Grimdalf (Hasslefree) and 2 zombies (Studie Miniatures)

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Progress update! Managed to finish his pants, his face, and I'm nearly done with the skin. Leather bits and metallics still to do.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren: Oath Complete :siren:

I did the CUT AND SWAP so here are the before and some progress images.

And some more complete pictures, the camera shows all the nasty details but from arms length I must say this is the nicest thing I have painted so far. It feels good to work hard toward improving.

Album can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/UIswn/titledesc

The angle on the photos makes her eyes look a little wonky too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ashcans posted:

I have dorked around so far and now it's a third of the way through the month. Doh. Guess I am going to take it easy.

:siren:I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Assault on Black Reach Nob:siren:

I will be doing the cut and swap thing and post the follow-up later!

Alright, I took this dudes arms off and replaced them with a different set, changing him from a shoota and a choppa to a big choppa.

Ta-da!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath 1 Infinity Keisotu Butai by Coruvus Belli and 1 Maugan Ra by Games Workshop for the Month of July.

lunchbox624
May 6, 2013
I, Lunchbox624 Oath to Paint 1 Space Marine Chaplin in TDA, 1 Attack bike and 2 space marine bikes from the Games-workshop line of mini's

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, Oath these 5 Tau Drones from GW for the month of July!

4 are currently gun drones, and the 5th is a shield drone I converted a while ago.

I was stupid this month and started painting a bunch of stuff without making an oath first... guess here are a few more. Will post when I convert a couple of these drones from gun drones to Markerlight drones for the Jurnul.

Pash fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 12, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Well, I am a little behind with all the rules and crazy new things. But I missed some months already, and I want to get back into oathing. At least I don't have to min-max for all the little points since I am quite out of the running by now. Maybe I can just... paint. What a concept.

I was wondering where you went off to. Well, you might not be in strong contention for the top ten in points, but you can still win prizes and stuff!

I'm going to call your oath this month "terrain," I think.

Avenger_Mullah posted:

I, Avenger_Mullah, hereby oath 1 strip of Warmaster black orcs (GW), 1 Grandpa Dunger (Ramshackle), 1 Grimdalf (Hasslefree) and 2 zombies (Studie Miniatures)

What are the scales for these four figures, please? Also, should "studie" be "studio"? Googling doesn't find them...

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I, overthefalls, oath the following for July 2013:
5x Temple Flameguard, Privateer Press

No alterations. I'll do June 2013 Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage, and it's a themed group. I may do an addition down the road with a conversion.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

What are the scales for these four figures, please? Also, should "studie" be "studio"? Googling doesn't find them...

Sorry, yes that should be studio. As in http://www.studiominiatures.com/

Everything is 28mm, except the warmaster orcs which are 10mm

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Just posting to let you know that your package arrived safely Krushgroove. Thanks for all the goodies!

Bonus points for comprehending my username. :scotland:

E: The Eldar Rangers will make a nice change of pace. I've never actually worked with metal models before...or painted anything other than Orks and Marines.

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 12, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I was wondering where you went off to. Well, you might not be in strong contention for the top ten in points, but you can still win prizes and stuff!

I'm going to call your oath this month "terrain," I think.

I'm such a point whore that I found myself not painting things after I finished an oath since I wanted to save it for next oath. Way back before I started with oathing I used to paint freely and get a lot of work done.

I'm a little relieved that I can oath and paint without having to obsess, as much.

I'll have to take a look at the qualifications for some of these other prises.

I will have to.:stare:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

lunchbox624 posted:

I, Lunchbox624 Oath to Paint 1 Space Marine Chaplin in TDA, 1 Attack bike and 2 space marine bikes from the Games-workshop line of mini's

Pash posted:

I, Pash, Oath these 5 Tau Drones from GW for the month of July!

overthefalls posted:

I, overthefalls, oath the following for July 2013: 5x Temple Flameguard, Privateer Press

Brock Samsonite posted:

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath 1 Infinity Keisotu Butai by Coruvus Belli and 1 Maugan Ra by Games Workshop for the Month of July.

Avenger_Mullah posted:

Accepted.

Bavius posted:

I, Bavius, oath to Save Da Whales on my Zhadsnark Biker Boss and do solemnly oath to paint 12 Ork boyz - all 28 mm GW models

Save dem whales, get dem new digs. Accepted.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So, is this gold base coat? From the photo, it looks like it may have a wash or something else on it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I oath 1 Tau Crisis Suit Commander from Games Workshop

The arm has been repositioned to be straight rather than bent, it originally looked like this.

Oath Addition
2 Tau Piranhas, from GW

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

quote:

So, is this gold base coat? From the photo, it looks like it may have a wash or something else on it.

Should have mentioned the gold, sorry. It was the Badger gold color airbrushed on. No wash or anything else, I did work on the smaller pieces before MSP convinced me to oath the untouched part.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Additional oath! Croe and 9 Cutthroats, Orin Midwinter, a giant skeleton, gravedigger, ghostly armor, pirate dwarf, and gentleman dwarf. :siren:
Croe's Cutthroats and Orin are Privateer Press, the rest are Reaper.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

God loving damnit, I just sealed most of my oath and frosted the fuckers.

I got to it with a better sealer right after, so maybe that fixed it?

Fuuuuck.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

God loving damnit, I just sealed most of my oath and frosted the fuckers.

I got to it with a better sealer right after, so maybe that fixed it?

Fuuuuck.

Doesn't have to be right after. Gloss varnish will melt the frost, then revarnish matte. I've never failed to recover frosted minis that way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's good to know. Will brush-on gloss do the trick, or should I use spray?

So far the satin varnish I used seems to be mitigating the damage pretty well. I still have a few frosty assault rifles, but I was able to save the mecha suits and most of the regular dudes, and the ones I didn't especially like got the worst of it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

That's good to know. Will brush-on gloss do the trick, or should I use spray?

So far the satin varnish I used seems to be mitigating the damage pretty well. I still have a few frosty assault rifles, but I was able to save the mecha suits and most of the regular dudes, and the ones I didn't especially like got the worst of it.

I usually use spray or airbrush but I don't see why brush on wouldn't work just as well. Basically you're just melting the frosted stuff.

Germ
May 7, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Doesn't have to be right after. Gloss varnish will melt the frost, then revarnish matte. I've never failed to recover frosted minis that way.

This! You live in some gods-forsaken part of the world that feels like a hillbilly's armpit, no? It's usually humidity that frosts. I can tell you plenty of horror stories from living in East/Central Texas. Gloss coat in a reasonable environment, then after it dries, re-coat with matte. Spray it in your air conditioned (but well-ventilated) house if you need to.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The opposite - too little humidity - can also cause frosting, as the varnish dries before it hits the model.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath Complete

I am claiming the Fly Your Flag one-time bonus.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't even think to do in in AC, but that should work perfectly since AC works by removing the humidity. I live in PA. We have three minutes in September when the humidity dips below 50%, which is when I guess I'm supposed to spray everything I own.

But thanks everybody, you'll see how they came out soon! (I hope.)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

I didn't even think to do in in AC, but that should work perfectly since AC works by removing the humidity. I live in PA. We have three minutes in September when the humidity dips below 50%, which is when I guess I'm supposed to spray everything I own.

I live in DC, which is just as bad, and guess-free priming is like 90% of why I bought an airbrush.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Rikthor posted:

I, Rikthor, oath (2) Persian Infantry, 28mm, from Wargames Factory.

For Detektuv’s Jurnal: Cut and Swap!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Booley posted:

Oath Addition 2 Tau Piranhas, from GW

Red Shoe posted:

Additional oath! Croe and 9 Cutthroats, Orin Midwinter, a giant skeleton, gravedigger, ghostly armor, pirate dwarf, and gentleman dwarf. Croe's Cutthroats and Orin are Privateer Press, the rest are Reaper.

Accepted.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Should have mentioned the gold, sorry. It was the Badger gold color airbrushed on. No wash or anything else, I did work on the smaller pieces before MSP convinced me to oath the untouched part.

Good to go. Accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

moths posted:

It's going to smell like rear end for days if you do it inside, but it'll work. Good luck!

• Locked thread