Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If he's literally hired people to handle it, can't one of them take 5 seconds to send a tweet over his account? No one's asking for a documentary about what he's doing to fix it or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If he's literally hired people to handle it, can't one of them take 5 seconds to send a tweet over his account? No one's asking for a documentary about what he's doing to fix it or anything like that.

I get the feeling he is the Ritchie Blackmore of gaming.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fenarisk posted:

I'm sure his employer would love that he's slacking on real world projects and responsibilities hes devoted to full time so he can tweet and update nerds about his hobby on the side.

Jesus Christ.

No one's asking for minute-to-minute updates or "full time" tweeting. It's like some of the people in this thread are seeing "I wish he'd let us know his progress on handling this DDoS situation" and reading it as "I expect constant updates until that worthless rear end in a top hat lets me get MY GAME!"

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why exactly do you need him to send a tweet that's going to say something you already know? You can criticize the communication all you want, but we all pretty much know why the store is down and that he's working on it. I really doubt an explanation of "Yeah, we're aware of the situation and we're working on it." is going to give anyone relief over the situation.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He should shut down registration totally now that it's obvious it's not a 1-2 day problem. Put a note on the registration page saying "We are being DDoSed, we expect to be back up within a week or two". It gives an actual timeline with enough lead time to change it if need be, it stops the huge rushes of traffic everytime someone finds it open, it stops confusion over what is actually happening without having to go to Kotaku or a completely different part of the website, it stops people getting angry over how other people are getting in by lucky timing, etc.

Registration and the shop are effectively shut down anyway with the 6% and 2% uptime :laugh:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Lumis posted:

Why exactly do you need him to send a tweet that's going to say something you already know? You can criticize the communication all you want, but we all pretty much know why the store is down and that he's working on it. I really doubt an explanation of "Yeah, we're aware of the situation and we're working on it." is going to give anyone relief over the situation.

Considering the people you are complaining about, yeah, daily updates even with no new information does give people relief.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lumis posted:

Why exactly do you need him to send a tweet that's going to say something you already know? You can criticize the communication all you want, but we all pretty much know why the store is down and that he's working on it. I really doubt a an explanation of "Yeah, we're aware of the situation and we're working on it." is going to give anyone relief over the situation.

Well like I said last page, I think the first thing he should do is shut down the registration page completely until he gets the DDoS handled. Leaving it open for random short spurts of time basically screams "Oh god, I have no clue what to do, please let this end soon". Then he or his hired crew should periodically(like once every day or two, not hourly or anything crazy like that) give updates on "Yes we have made progress on a new sales solution/stopping the DDoS" or "No we have not made progress on a new sales solution/stopping the DDoS". It takes just a minute or two every so often and stops all the uncertainty of whether or not you'll be able to buy it at any given time(because the answer will be "You won't until we tell you we have the problem fixed").

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

SPF 45 a day keeps the oncologist away.

Lumis posted:

Why exactly do you need him to send a tweet that's going to say something you already know?

Thank you for illustrating the point. We don't know. No one does. His last message amounted to "stuff is happening!"

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
DDoS, working on it, sorry for the problems. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Arson posted:

Thank you for illustrating the point. We don't know. No one does. His last message amounted to "stuff is happening!"

The store is being DDoS'ed and he has said as much. Until he says something else, it's safe to believe that this is still the case. A tweet that says "Still being DDoS'ed." isn't going to quell people's anger at the situation, and to believe otherwise is a bit foolish, given the nature of gamers and the internet in general.

Lumis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 10, 2013

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

Lumis posted:

The store is being DDoS'ed and he has said as much. Until he says something else, it's safe to believe that this is still the case. A tweet that says "Still being DDoS'ed." isn't going to quell people's anger at the situation, and to believe otherwise is a bit foolish, given the nature of gamers and the internet in general.

What's foolish is risking the success of your new product because you can't recognize that keeping your new revenue stream informed doesn't hurt a thing. I've said my peace, so I won't poo poo up this thread any more.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arson posted:

What's foolish is risking the success of your new product because you can't recognize that keeping your new revenue stream informed doesn't hurt a thing. I've said my peace, so I won't poo poo up this thread any more.

Making a new business is always a risk. Hes trying to do it his own way without relying on outside sources. Give him a break. He still has a day job.

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

Siljmonster posted:

Making a new business is always a risk. Hes trying to do it his own way without relying on outside sources. Give him a break. He still has a day job.

I'm not up in arms, just calling it like I see it. I hope he can get things sorted out soon.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
In non-Jesus-Christ-This-loving-Thread news:

Registration is up for the moment, though the shop is not. Now is your chance!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I kind of want to play a berserker (mostly for :black101: moments) but i've heard due to class imbalance they're really obnoxiously difficult to play and i'll hate myself for doing it

is this true

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

I kind of want to play a berserker (mostly for :black101: moments) but i've heard due to class imbalance they're really obnoxiously difficult to play and i'll hate myself for doing it

is this true

Pretty much. Don't be a warrior.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

How on earth has this dude not quit his job yet?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
^^^edit: Some people like their jobs, strange, I know. Germany's a pretty decent country insofar as working goes (compared to America, that is).

Trap Star posted:

Nah, you can be a pretty awesome warrior. It's crazy gear-dependent though. Personally I go with the Guardian class because igorning up to 50% of damage for ~10 seconds can be a godsend, also blocking is super useful even while dual-wielding!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Trap Star posted:

but i want giant swords to kill people with

what's the best class for me to play then? no matter what I pick I know i'll get my poo poo kicked in by everything ever

good thing i know about the potion glitch

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thumbtacks posted:

is this true

I tried a berserker on my warrior for a bit. The problem is, everything that berserkers do, guardians do better. Guardians deal better damage with 2-handed weapons or dual wielding than berserkers. The unique ability of berserkers is something that comes baseline for guardians, and berserkers' increased attack speed bonus is so small as to be negligible, while guardians' parry ability is godly.

Guardian is great, but berserker is pretty lacking.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Nah, you can be a pretty awesome warrior. It's crazy gear-dependent though. Personally I go with the Guardian class because igorning up to 50% of damage for ~10 seconds can be a godsend, also blocking is super useful even while dual-wielding!

How am I supposed to get good gear at lower levels then?

Also guardians using shields do like NO damage with basic attacks, which sucks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thumbtacks posted:

How am I supposed to get good gear at lower levels then?

Also guardians using shields do like NO damage with basic attacks, which sucks.

Yeah, that's why you use 2-handers or dual wield as guardian.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

ComposerGuy posted:

In non-Jesus-Christ-This-loving-Thread news:

Registration is up for the moment, though the shop is not. Now is your chance!

And it's down again. At least there was some progress as to this downtime.
-Edit-

Back up and account created. Now to wait for shop to open. Is paypal the only option to purchase?

Fooma fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 10, 2013

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Fooma posted:

Is paypal the only option to purchase?

No, you can pay with credit card

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So what exactly can you do in the event of a DDoS attack? Are his only options really to talk to Steam/Humble Bundle etc. or to just wait it out and hope the attacker gets bored?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone want to play this multi? I started the server on my system, PM me for the IP. I'm just level 3 right now, a water mage.Despite setting up my router I can't get it working. Anyone have some hard facts about this? All I can find is to forward port 12345 TCP/UDP.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 11, 2013

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
What is there to this game? It looks like minecraft minus the craft, with a more diversified stable of baddies to kill and a randomized loot component. Is there an actual point to it, like an endgame objective?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Psyker posted:

What is there to this game? It looks like minecraft minus the craft, with a more diversified stable of baddies to kill and a randomized loot component. Is there an actual point to it, like an endgame objective?

Not really. The website lists a background story and lore as a future plan for the game, so that may bring some structure to the sandbox. Remember this is an early alpha.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I feel so sorry for this dude. They were totally not prepared for any of this. I'm happy for them though, because it is totally going to pay off and he can stuff his wounds with benjamins.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Psyker posted:

Right now, nothing besides better gear. As the Alpha gets farther along and into Beta he's planning on adding thing like actual quests, player housing, all that kinda good stuff.

EDIT: Also, even as an alpha, it makes Minecraft's combat look like poo poo. Dodging and rolling, class-specific skills, etc.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone want to play this multi? I started the server on my system, PM me for the IP. I'm just level 3 right now, a water mage.Despite setting up my router I can't get it working. Anyone have some hard facts about this? All I can find is to forward port 12345 TCP/UDP.

If you already forwarded ports then use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to make sure it's working, for some reason new ports on some routers don't seem to take effect until you unplug/reset the router, at least for me on my netgear one.

Of course check firewalls and antiviruses to make sure it's not being effected there either.

If the port is open then all you really have to do is run the exe and give someone the IP and they should be able to connect.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Tamayachi posted:

So what exactly can you do in the event of a DDoS attack? Are his only options really to talk to Steam/Humble Bundle etc. or to just wait it out and hope the attacker gets bored?

For someone small who is apparently deadset on doing it themselves. About all they can do is wait it out. That or spend an awful lot of money moving to a provider that has fancy anti-dos hardware in place.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Psyker posted:

Comparisons to Minecraft are really misleading, since Minecraft is generally a sandboxy construction game with combat tacked on, whereas this is a full-fledged open world action RPG. The two have similar art styles, but there's really not any substantial comparison between the two beyond that.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

The two have similar art styles
Conceptually I guess, but gently caress me if Cubeworld doesn't implement it 100% better.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Tamayachi posted:

By himself, jack poo poo. His options are to go to a service that will ask for a cut or go to a service that will ask for a bunch of cash.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

VextheGrey posted:

For someone small who is apparently deadset on doing it themselves. About all they can do is wait it out. That or spend an awful lot of money moving to a provider that has fancy anti-dos hardware in place.

There are more solutions available than just waiting for the problem to go away. Using a combination of Cloudflare and AWS, you can be pretty much immune to all but the most sophisticated ddos attacks; for extremely low cost considering how much money he's losing out on by not having his store online to cater to impulse purchasers (i.e., a few hundred dollars monthly).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lazy Programming posted:

By himself, jack poo poo. His options are to go to a service that will ask for a cut or go to a service that will ask for a bunch of cash.

Gee, it's almost like there's a reason people go to those services despite the cut/cash they ask for.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Gee, it's almost like there's a reason people go to those services despite the cut/cash they ask for.
In fairness, this problem doesn't happen to even 1% of games.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I tried playing this. Why is this game so goddamn dark at night? Even with the lantern I can't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
The entry level lantern blows, but you can buy upgraded ones. Earlier in the topic somebody posted a seed with a high-level lantern in the starting town. 13375 I believe.

• Locked thread