Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
To follow-up my E46 search earlier, I found a clean 2003 325i with 245k miles. One owner and taken to the dealer for maintenance every 15k miles. I know it sounds crazy, but is there really any reason not to take a gamble on something like this for only $3000?

My Miata has 205k on the clock and runs as strong as ever. I fully expect that to last until 300k. What's the upper limit for E46 longevity? Will I be burning 2 quarts of oil a week or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

jromano posted:

To follow-up my E46 search earlier, I found a clean 2003 325i with 245k miles. One owner and taken to the dealer for maintenance every 15k miles. I know it sounds crazy, but is there really any reason not to take a gamble on something like this for only $3000?

My Miata has 205k on the clock and runs as strong as ever. I fully expect that to last until 300k. What's the upper limit for E46 longevity? Will I be burning 2 quarts of oil a week or something?

The M52/M54 are strong motors, I wouldn't be worried about them. What's going to fail are the plastic and rubber bits, along with the transmission if it's an automatic. If it has dealer maintenance records a mile long like it should, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a gamble on it personally, just make sure to look them over as to what's been done recently and what will need to be done soon, and budget for those repairs.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a decent active E36 or E36 M3 forum?

I was going to tell you to head over to e36 tech, but apparently they've shut down.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BlackMK4 posted:

You found it buddy. Between Crustashio, RevMoo, plenty of others and myself we can probably answer any question about these godforsaken lovable cars.

No need to kill off brain cells by using Bf.C or any of the others for anything other than the regional and classified forums.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm just looking for a place to buy one ;)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Active? Bimmerforums for both e36/e36 m3, m3forum.net for e36 m3.

Decent? No. But those two forums generally have tons of decent DIYs.

edit: Pretty much what I said then, if you're looking to buy. You'll have to sort through a lot of trash on both.

Double edit: I'm going to buy that 330Ci. I set out to find a fuel efficient, reliable car with decent cargo room and rear seat room. And ended up with another BMW coupe :v:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2013

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Love me some aluminum e46 trim. I want to replace my touring's piano black with some. Is that a factory spoiler? I don't think I've seen it before.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Left my two-weeks-old-to-me E39 idling outside a Dunkin Donuts for five minutes, came back to coolant pouring out the radiator cap and the temperature gauge pegged to max. It's an '00 528i with 127k, cooling system has never been touched :(

Just bought new struts+shocks a few days ago thinking I was done spending money on broken poo poo but nope.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

So my insurance company totalled out my e46 325xi, and I'm basically starting over fresh with my financing/loan stuff. It's been a couple years now, and I see that there a few e90's popping into my budget range. Like an 08 335xi one owner, perfect carfax with regular maintenance and all that jazz, but it does have almost 100k miles. Should I stay within the e46 gen? I loved my car more than anything, and I feel like the e90's don't look nearly as good, other than the interiors.

Would you rather find a good shape 2004/05 330 with low miles, or go a little higher in mileage for a newer e90? I honestly have always looked passed e90 talk when I see it as it's never interested me, but now that I'm looking to replace, they keep popping up and I don't know if I should continue ignoring and stay where it's been great.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NOTinuyasha posted:

Left my two-weeks-old-to-me E39 idling outside a Dunkin Donuts for five minutes, came back to coolant pouring out the radiator cap and the temperature gauge pegged to max. It's an '00 528i with 127k, cooling system has never been touched :(

Just bought new struts+shocks a few days ago thinking I was done spending money on broken poo poo but nope.

At least your getting a HUGE majority of work out of the way to a fairly smooth sailing future now right?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Binge posted:

Would you rather find a good shape 2004/05 330 with low miles, or go a little higher in mileage for a newer e90?
I would rather buy whatever meant I could pay cash so I *didn't have to* start over with that "financing/loan" treadmill stuff.
If you have the opportunity to (permanently) get out from under a car loan by buying a $3000 E36 or E46¹, then keep making your current "car payment" (which you are already used to making) to your credit union savings account I'd take it in a New York Minute.
Buy Cash for $3000
Keep up on maintenance
Pay your ($300) car payment normally - but to yourself!
Wait 12 mo.
Sell $3000 car for $2500-$3000. (you now have a stack of maintenance receipts that will hopefully help the car hold the value where you bought)
Combine proceeds and "car payment"
Buy a new car for $6500.

Repeat.
2014: $6500
2015: $10,000
2016: $14,000
2017: $17,000

You're going to drive a "beater" for this year, but after that, you get an increasingly nice car every year, and by the end of this decade, you could buy a *new* car for cash.

¹ I'm presuming that the majority of your payout will go toward paying off the old loan?

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 11, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Rogers posted:

I would rather buy whatever meant I could pay cash so I *didn't have to* start over with that "financing/loan" treadmill stuff.
If you have the opportunity to (permanently) get out from under a car loan by buying a $3000 E36 or E46¹, then keep making your current "car payment" (which you are already used to making) to your credit union savings account I'd take it in a New York Minute.
Buy Cash for $3000
Keep up on maintenance
Pay your ($300) car payment normally - but to yourself!
Wait 12 mo.
Sell $3000 car for $2500-$3000. (you now have a stack of maintenance receipts that will hopefully help the car hold the value where you bought)
Combine proceeds and "car payment"
Buy a new car for $6500.

Repeat.
2014: $6500
2015: $10,000
2016: $14,000
2017: $17,000

You're going to drive a "beater" for this year, but after that, you get an increasingly nice car every year, and by the end of this decade, you could buy a *new* car for cash.

¹ I'm presuming that the majority of your payout will go toward paying off the old loan?

Interest rates on auto loans are so insanely low that it makes more sense to spend the bank's money and use your cash on hand for other purposes. Make an extra payment to principle each month and you'll end up way ahead. Debt is not a monster, it's a tool to be used intelligently.

Edit: Also, if you get rear ended again and your car get's totaled and you owned it outright, you eat all of the depreciation instantly. If the bank still owns a chunk of it you are greatly insulated. Always get loan/lease payoff from your insurance carrier.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Since I started this roller coaster of loan payments years ago with a different car (a Ford Edge when they were new), I've just been endlessly paying monthly payments, which is fine with me. My loan was like 1k more than the value, but I do have gap insurance. Effectively I'm back at square 1 with no debt or loan (or car). But my credit union is awesome, and I've never been late, and all that, so I'm optimistic they'll just let me start over. Since this is 3 years later, I'm now into the e90's territory, which I dunno if I should get into for the long run or stay at the e46 since I now know them pretty well. But, the allure of having a newer gen is getting to me, something I didn't think I'd care about while my car was all running perfect and not smashed.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Binge posted:

Since I started this roller coaster of loan payments years ago with a different car (a Ford Edge when they were new), I've just been endlessly paying monthly payments, which is fine with me. My loan was like 1k more than the value, but I do have gap insurance. Effectively I'm back at square 1 with no debt or loan (or car). But my credit union is awesome, and I've never been late, and all that, so I'm optimistic they'll just let me start over. Since this is 3 years later, I'm now into the e90's territory, which I dunno if I should get into for the long run or stay at the e46 since I now know them pretty well. But, the allure of having a newer gen is getting to me, something I didn't think I'd care about while my car was all running perfect and not smashed.

Just know the e90 isn't as DIY friendly as the e46 platform. That alone pushed me to a well maintained e46 over an unknown higher mileage e90.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Viper_3000 posted:

Just know the e90 isn't as DIY friendly as the e46 platform. That alone pushed me to a well maintained e46 over an unknown higher mileage e90.

The 335's can make a ton of power with programming only and respond very well to exhaust mods.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I've been stocking piling a laundry list of things to get installed/done to my E92. Here's a peek at some of the parts I picked up out of an order that arrived from IND today!

Obviously my excitement prevented me from holding the camera (phone) steady. I'm still in awe at how light these OE BMW parts are.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Look at an e36 M3, the guy is asking $9500 which seems reasonable for a car with 55k miles on it. What do you guys think?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1995413-E36-M3-Coupe-Fern-Green-FS-11000-LOW-MILES

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Look at an e36 M3, the guy is asking $9500 which seems reasonable for a car with 55k miles on it. What do you guys think?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1995413-E36-M3-Coupe-Fern-Green-FS-11000-LOW-MILES

Looow mileage, full-OBC, heated vader seats, non-lux, factory-installed spoiler... I'd be all over that! Pick it up, do any remaining pieces of maintenance, tend to the seats, tend the the rust, sell it to a club member for $18.5K ;) Haha.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought it was a steal for the mileage but I really haven't research e36's much. More in the market for an e46, I shot him a PM with a few more questions so we'll see what happens.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's a fantastic price for the mileage as long as the rest of the car is in good shape.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2006115-PA-FS-1997-328is-M-technic

Thoughts on this?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Personally I would pass. Too many issues and too many miles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fair enough, I've got time. I have a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3916875669.html) to sell off before I actually make a move. Hopefully there will be a nice 328 or M3 for sale within the next month or two. Kinda budgeting $7k at the moment.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BlackMK4 posted:

looking for e36
Mk4 where are you located?

What you posted is interesting. Not sure its a no-go based on maintenance but you have to be super wary of po mods especially the swap. Everything seems to be in order but a PPI at a reputable BMW shop would def. be in order given price and history.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SuperDucky posted:

Mk4 where are you located?

What you posted is interesting. Not sure its a no-go based on maintenance but you have to be super wary of po mods especially the swap. Everything seems to be in order but a PPI at a reputable BMW shop would def. be in order given price and history.

Arizona, but I have family about 20 minutes from that 328. I've done a lot of retarded fly-and-rides for vehicles... kinda my thing.
I refuse to be the goon in the well, be harsh on poo poo I link.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 11, 2013

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

:catstare:

It's a 328 that has a "pretty good" transmission swap that hasn't been completed. It's also gussied up to pretend to be an M3. There's lots of language about cheapo parts, and overall the sellers language is of someone who's trying to convince themselves, let alone the buyer, that they're not selling a pile of poo poo.

Run, don't walk, the gently caress away.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The use of a Getrag 250 over a 260 or 265 would be pretty concerning to me as well

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

The use of a Getrag 250 over a 260 or 265 would be pretty concerning to me as well

Really? That was standard paired with the first M50s right?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

I've been stocking piling a laundry list of things to get installed/done to my E92. Here's a peek at some of the parts I picked up out of an order that arrived from IND today!

Obviously my excitement prevented me from holding the camera (phone) steady. I'm still in awe at how light these OE BMW parts are.

If you ever have a quarter panel off you'll be stunned, they weigh barely a pound. They aren't heavy for a lack of trying, that's for sure. Also seeing your parts is making me happy I decided against going the OEM route and having it done at the port.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

Really? That was standard paired with the first M50s right?

Sure, but why pair it with a M52?

Seems like it wouldnt be difficult to find a legit m3 for 7-9k

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

Sure, but why pair it with a M52?

Seems like it wouldnt be difficult to find a legit m3 for 7-9k

Yep I agree, just didn't think the choice of the 250 was all that shocking.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Yep I agree, just didn't think the choice of the 250 was all that shocking.

Yeah up to 2.5L but the 260s and 265s are stronger IIRC. When you're advertising that all your car needs is a s52/54 swap to be a 9-10k car it makes me a little leery putting that much power behind a 250.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will get on the cooling system pronto.

Also my oil light was coming on frequently and eventually was stuck on while driving, I popped the hood and noticed some oily residue near the VANOS and front passenger corner of the valve cover. This is annoying, since I did the VCG/VANOS and everything related about 10k ago. Seems like it's the vanos oil line, which is not replaced along with the other stuff.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
God drat loving Richmond roads and god drat vdot's inept bridge repair work. I swear I'm going to need to replace all my bushings after 12 months, and I now have dime sized chunks missing from each of my 4 wheels. I hope the dealership doesn't try and get out of future maintenance/warranty work because of how rough the roads are on this car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Buy that 328 and I will trade you straight up for the hurricane seats and cover shipping costs :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wombot posted:

:catstare:

It's a 328 that has a "pretty good" transmission swap that hasn't been completed. It's also gussied up to pretend to be an M3. There's lots of language about cheapo parts, and overall the sellers language is of someone who's trying to convince themselves, let alone the buyer, that they're not selling a pile of poo poo.

Run, don't walk, the gently caress away.

Fair enough. :)

Crustashio posted:

Buy that 328 and I will trade you straight up for the hurricane seats and cover shipping costs :v:

That's mostly why I liked the thing, seemed nice cosmetically. Love the cloth interiors.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

If you ever have a quarter panel off you'll be stunned, they weigh barely a pound. They aren't heavy for a lack of trying, that's for sure. Also seeing your parts is making me happy I decided against going the OEM route and having it done at the port.

The first time it hit me that the fenders are plastic, I sat dumbfounded. I'm likely to break the rear lip spoiler in my attempt to secure it after initially applying the Betalink satan goo. I don't know which OEM route you are referencing, but I'll show you what can be done at the port ;)

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

I just purchased a great little 1989 325i convertible, and there's just one issue.. the cassette player is absolutely convinced it's playing side 1 of a nonexistent tape. I've called around locally, and there's no one willing to try a repair job on a cassette player, which just bums me out - it looks like I'll need to replace the unit if I want to listen to anything but weather band. Are there any recommendations for replacement stereos that maintain the "feel" of the interior, but maybe add an aux input or something?

I really just want radio and cassette, but if I have to replace the thing I'd be happy with radio/aux input. I am not confident enough in my 80s repair skills to think I can get the thing open and working. :ohdear:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Electric Sugar posted:

I just purchased a great little 1989 325i convertible, and there's just one issue.. the cassette player is absolutely convinced it's playing side 1 of a nonexistent tape. I've called around locally, and there's no one willing to try a repair job on a cassette player, which just bums me out - it looks like I'll need to replace the unit if I want to listen to anything but weather band. Are there any recommendations for replacement stereos that maintain the "feel" of the interior, but maybe add an aux input or something?

I really just want radio and cassette, but if I have to replace the thing I'd be happy with radio/aux input. I am not confident enough in my 80s repair skills to think I can get the thing open and working. :ohdear:

I know there's a guy on ebay who does stereo repairs, I think his name is GermanAudioTech or something like that. I've never used his service, but if you want the stock unit repaired that might be a decent lead for you. (Again, I haven't used him, so do your due diligence vetting his business)

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Viper_3000 posted:

I know there's a guy on ebay who does stereo repairs, I think his name is GermanAudioTech or something like that. I've never used his service, but if you want the stock unit repaired that might be a decent lead for you. (Again, I haven't used him, so do your due diligence vetting his business)

Thanks for the pointer! I think I found him and sent a note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Electric Sugar posted:

The rubber band inside the cassette player has broken. You can tear it apart and replace it with a rubber band, but it doesn't work very well and it's a pain in the rear end. I would advise replacing the unit.