Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Rubber sprockets give you all the benefits of a cush drive without investing in a new hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Sprockets made of jelly are delicious. So that's what I use.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Resource posted:

Sprockets made of jelly are delicious. So that's what I use.

Are you worried about jams?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I don't use a Sprocket.
I use a Gromit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Comedy belt option

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Comedy belt option

Perfect, I've got a studded one from high school I hardly wear anymore.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Quit joking around. I run shimano sprockets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please dont troll, OP specifically asked about sprockets for a DRZ

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please dont troll, OP specifically asked about sprockets for a DRZ

Thanks. I wish everyone was as thoughtful as you.

Serious edit: TT has a bunch of sprocket recommendations in aluminum. Anyone have thoughts on that vs. steel? They strangely don't have anything to say about chains, though. The guy who works on my other bike suggested a DID x-ring which is blinged out in gold but also pricey. I don't need anything high performance, but it would be nice to have something that will last a while.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 9, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you ride offroad, or just onroad?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you ride offroad, or just onroad?

Just onroad. And onsidewalks.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You can get ek I think 520 o ring chains on amazon for like 70 bucks. I'd do that. I personally liked having a gold chain as it was easier for me to gauge how dirty it was but ymmv. Just get steel sprockets though. Make sure to loctite the front one on.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

JP Money posted:

You can get ek I think 520 o ring chains on amazon for like 70 bucks. I'd do that. I personally liked having a gold chain as it was easier for me to gauge how dirty it was but ymmv. Just get steel sprockets though. Make sure to loctite the front one on.

I'm in the habit of cleaning mine every 500 miles so o-rings will probably keep working for me. And the front sprocket looks like it's in perfect shape to me. I'm thinking of leaving it, or is that a terrible idea?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Leaving it is fine, go with steel sprockets, and get an XO-Ring chain. RK makes good cheap ones (RK XSO-Ring chain)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, I know everyone says steel steel steel, but I had AL sprockets from http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/ on my Bandit, and they worked just fine, no accelerated wear or anything. The bandit has about 90hp and 200lbs on a DRZ, so if it worked there, I would think it would work on the DRZ.

I just have to plug PBI because they were great to deal with and will make you custom sprockets (i.e. in a different chain pitch, way outside the normal tooth count, offset, etc), and they were the only people who could get me the gearing I wanted on my RV90.

Plus they're made in the :911:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly, I know everyone says steel steel steel, but I had AL sprockets from http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/ on my Bandit, and they worked just fine, no accelerated wear or anything. The bandit has about 90hp and 200lbs on a DRZ, so if it worked there, I would think it would work on the DRZ.

I just have to plug PBI because they were great to deal with and will make you custom sprockets (i.e. in a different chain pitch, way outside the normal tooth count, offset, etc), and they were the only people who could get me the gearing I wanted on my RV90.

Plus they're made in the :911:

The Al sprocket that came on my 250sx-f was shot after 10 rides. That includes a couple enduro races, but still, not long.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

So, when I owned my R6 I picked up a nail in my front Bridgestone S20 and it's been sitting ever since. Imagine the look on my face when I realized I could just patch over the hole to keep debris out and use it on the DRZ :getin:

Time for some new tires! It's too bad I really disliked the S20's on my R6, hopefully they perform better on the DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Every track day I wipe away what looks like a glitter bomb on my rear wheel from the aluminum sprocket on my 600. My 250 dirt bike ate it's Aluminum sprocket in about 20-25 hours. I've never run one on the street, but they sure do go fast in hard use. I'd run steel if its just for the street, why bother with a aluminum if you're just commuting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

The Al sprocket that came on my 250sx-f was shot after 10 rides. That includes a couple enduro races, but still, not long.

Which is why I asked if he rode on or off-road. The extra grit involved in offroad riding would wear them down quicker.

On the street its not nearly as big of a deal.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

All right, thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know what I end up getting and how the install goes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ought ten posted:

All right, thanks for all the advice.

We got there eventually.

What are some decent dirt-oriented Sumo tires? I'm considering switching over when it gets cold, and seeing how long I can extend my riding season.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Default distanzia recommendation

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Unless you're riding really nasty poo poo, any tire aired down to around 15-20 PSI will handle the usual BS besides crazy mud or sand just fine. I don't think there's a huge gain to Distanzias, unless you're doing crazy offroading, and almost no street riding, and most people don't get that nasty on their SMs. My 690SMC against a 640 LC4 adventure had no problems keeping up on the usual fire road and light singletrack you usually see offroad.

alk4life
Jul 22, 2004
I found an '08 690SMC on craigslist, but it's pretty far away so I'd like to be pretty certain I'll buy it before committing to the trip. As far as I know it is stock except for a Leo Vince slipon. The bike has 13k miles on it. That seems pretty high compared to most 690s I've seen for sale, and most supermotos in general seems like. I've done some reading and have seen some reports of pretty high mileage LC4s though. The seller wants $5,500 which seems reasonable. What questions should I ask the seller and what should I be sure to inspect? I've read that rocker arm / roller bearing problems are somewhat common, but it seems like a bit much to ask the guy to let me tear into his top end.

I asked the guy if he had any service records/receipts and he said he is the second owner, recently bought it, and doesn't have records from the original owner. Maybe that could give me something to bargain with on price, but the price already seems pretty good, especially for the bay area. What do you all think?

There's another '08 690SMC for sale minutes away from me. That one only has 1,000 miles on it, but the guy wants $9k and won't budge on price. That's almost new Enduro R money (which I am also considering buying) so I passed.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I picked up a 350 EXC-f a month ago and have been trying to gets used to it coming from a two stroke in the woods. Unfortunately I felt significantly slower with the four stroke point and shoot steering offroad so I went out and got a 300 XC-w after a ride day last weekend(understeer solved). I was planning on leaving the EXC setup for state forest trips and club races, but I came across a few spare parts I had around from my mini-moto supermini and got the itch for my first larger displacement sm. I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist for some wheels and quickly got a reply from a guy who had "a stupid set of useless street wheels for his dirtbike" that came with a ktm he purchased. They ended up being excel rims on stock hubs with new tires and he was only asking $350. I picked them up after about an hour of worrying that this was too good to be true and I was going to get robbed at McDonald's.

How should an gear this thing for a larger track? The only experience I have is on Englishtown's kart track which had tough blocks on every straight away. What front fender is my best option? I'd like a old pointy SMR fender but I'm not sure if they fit. What am I looking for when tuning the EFI on the bike? More power when lugging long gears or instant response after corner engine braking?

tehk fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 11, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

Unless you're riding really nasty poo poo, any tire aired down to around 15-20 PSI will handle the usual BS besides crazy mud or sand just fine. I don't think there's a huge gain to Distanzias, unless you're doing crazy offroading, and almost no street riding, and most people don't get that nasty on their SMs. My 690SMC against a 640 LC4 adventure had no problems keeping up on the usual fire road and light singletrack you usually see offroad.

I'm thinking snow and slush, unless the recommendation for that is cheap dirtbike or take the bus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

This is true as long as you keep moving. I was out today in some loose gravel, trying to start uphill, and it was pretty rough. The pilot power just wanted to spin like crazy

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'm thinking snow and slush, unless the recommendation for that is cheap dirtbike or take the bus.

Knobby tires and studs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

After we had a massive snow storm this year I've been looking out for a cheap small displacement trail/trials/dirt bike. The 690 made it through OK with a distanzia on the rear and a rain tyre on the front but I'd like something lighter with knobblies ready to go.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
In the interest of my personal safety and desire to autox with my friends, I'm going to sell my DRZ and get a miata. I haven't owned it very long but I haven't had any issues with it. I just went out of town for 2 weeks and it started up great this morning. So, I wanted to see if any TX goons were interested before I take it to craigslist. I'm thinking $4200 but we can talk about that. It's the yellow/white color scheme and I'll get some pictures up after work

http://imgur.com/a/yr5cZ

2007 DRZ400SM
5500 miles

FCR39
Yoshi RS3
Extra rear tire

Clear, blue theft recovery title

Empire Waffles fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 11, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Empire Waffles posted:

In the interest of my personal safety and desire to autox with my friends, I'm going to sell my DRZ and get a miata.

:catstare:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

http://richmondin.craigslist.org/mcy/3927789067.html

Anything I should look out for? 2,000 seems like a good deal especially if I can get it lower if I bring cash with me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tenchrono posted:

http://richmondin.craigslist.org/mcy/3927789067.html

Anything I should look out for? 2,000 seems like a good deal especially if I can get it lower if I bring cash with me.

I'd try to work them down on principle, but if you paid asking price for that you wouldnt be getting ripped off.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Empire Waffles posted:

In the interest of my personal safety and desire to autox with my friends, I'm going to sell my DRZ and get a miata. I haven't owned it very long but I haven't had any issues with it. I just went out of town for 2 weeks and it started up great this morning. So, I wanted to see if any TX goons were interested before I take it to craigslist. I'm thinking $4200 but we can talk about that. It's the yellow/white color scheme and I'll get some pictures up after work

2007 DRZ400SM
5500 miles

FCR39
Yoshi RS3
Extra rear tire

If you have any other farkles I may be up for taking them. What's the rear tire?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Empire Waffles posted:

2007 DRZ400SM
5500 miles

FCR39
Yoshi RS3
Extra rear tire

I'm needing to sell my very similar DRZ in the near future as well, and I intend to sell for a very similar price. I think 4200 is a good starting point, and I wouldn't go under 3500.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/yr5cZ

Also, all my friends autox

JP Money posted:

If you have any other farkles I may be up for taking them. What's the rear tire?

Other farkles:
Dunlop D208 140/70
stock E header (no gasket)
stock S/SM exhaust
stock S blue metal gas tank

Resource posted:

I'm needing to sell my very similar DRZ in the near future as well, and I intend to sell for a very similar price. I think 4200 is a good starting point, and I wouldn't go under 3500.

Good to know, thanks.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Empire Waffles posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm also in TX.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Test rode the DRZ I asked about earlier, sadly it was either a few inches too tall for me or I'm a few inches too short for it :negative:. Guess I'll keep looking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can get lowering links for them for pretty cheap you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tenchrono posted:

Test rode the DRZ I asked about earlier, sadly it was either a few inches too tall for me or I'm a few inches too short for it :negative:. Guess I'll keep looking.

You can ride a tall bike if you're short, it just takes some getting used to. What's your inseam? I'm just a shade over 29 inches and I ride a 690SMC, which I think is possibly one of, if not the tallest production bike right now.

Edit: or just pussy out and get a lowering link like what he said ^

• Locked thread