Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

How did VW manage to keep the 2.5 such an underwhelming piece of poo poo for so long? Did they just not give their engineers any money to improve the thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The whole "2-2.5l NA" engine class isn't very popular outside of North America. Especially now that everything is Fi. In most other countries the 1.4t used in the hybrid is the base engine. VW doesn't sell that many cars in North America so it probably wasn't a high priority.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's also the fact that it's an Inline 5, which is a lovely compromise of an engine configuration no matter what you do.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Q_res posted:

There's also the fact that it's an Inline 5, which is a lovely compromise of an engine configuration no matter what you do.

You take that back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Q_res posted:

Hey, they're fine when you put two of them together. :colbert:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Fucknag posted:

Hey, they're fine when you put two of them together. :colbert:

Or slap a fuckoff turbo to one of them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

D C posted:

You take that back.

I'll do no such thing. :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SouthLAnd posted:

How did VW manage to keep the 2.5 such an underwhelming piece of poo poo for so long? Did they just not give their engineers any money to improve the thing?

There were a lot of issues.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tacier posted:

Poor Sportwagen gets no love.
Cars never do the year before a new generation comes out. Hint, hint.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Q_res posted:

This simply isn't true, particularly for VAG. It's no inline 6 but the L5 isn't necessarily a bad configuration, it's just nobody has had reason to do a particularly good one for high volume production recently. Volvo and Audi both have had quite good five cylinders, and VW has something of a history of making unconventional cylinder layouts work.

Speaking of, does anyone have that long, rambling post, tracing the history of Audi's inline 5 back to some deranged Axis scientists at Peenemunde obsessed with the number five? I think it was either an OP to an Audi Quattro thread or a post in a group B rallying thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
IIRC that was Muffinpox's inline five appreciation station thread, which I will now attempt to locate.

edit: Yup.

edit #2: it is loving adorable watching CommieGIR in there complaining about VAG idiocy. If he only knew then what he knows now.. :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
My old Jetta had the 2.5 and the whole driving experience with that engine can be summed up in one word: Blah.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can make some pretty big power on the 2.5, especially if you go FI. Terrible as the stock motor, mind.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This kid I know used to brag about how fast his 2.5 base model was. Which would explain why he wrecked both his VR6 Jetta and 2.0T A4.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

This simply isn't true... the L5 isn't necessarily a bad configuration

Yes, it very much is. Worse packaging and fuel mileage than an I4, but still horrible inherent balance compared to an I6.

Just as a thought experiment, name one decent 5 banger that doesn't have a turbo strapped to it. The reason nobody has made a decent I5 as a regular engine isn't because they can't be bothered. It's because they're inherently inferior to I4s/I6s and it simply costs more to make them as good.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
honda's I5 on the acura vigor was pretty solid, but not really an engine meant for a lot of performance.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Devyl posted:

My old Jetta had the 2.5 and the whole driving experience with that engine can be summed up in one word: Blah.

"Goes like a 4, drinks like a 6" is what I've heard of the 2.5, which says to me that it combines the worst aspects of both smaller and larger engines.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Since the Peugeot RCZ was discussed some pages ago, I thought it was a nice thing of them to make this.

quote:

We've been spoiled with stupidly powerful front-wheel-drive cars recently. Thanks to the Focus ST, Renault Megane RS and Astra VXR, front tyres have never been so scared. And now there's one more: the 270bhp Peugeot RCZ R, which is set to be unveiled at Goodwood this weekend.

Producing 169bhp per litre, Peugeot's curvy coupe now has the most powerful 1.6-litre engine... in the world at its heart. With some tinkering, Pug's engineers have managed to extract 70 more bhp, making it more powerful than the Focus and Megane, and just shy of the Astra's 276bhp.

Proper hardware has been installed to take care of all the extra power: most importantly a proper limited-slip differential between the front wheels. They've also added some sporty bits for a more serious look, rather like Kim Kardashian donning a sweatband and running spikes. You get a 10mm suspension drop, new 19-inch wheels, a rear wing, twin pipes and Alcantara and R badges stitched around the cabin.

Being all about style, its natural rival is Audi's four-wheel-drive TT-S. That'll do 0-62 in 5.5 seconds, 0.4 seconds quicker than the RCZ R, but go on to the same limited top speed of 155mph. Even so, although prices aren't announced, we're expecting the big-bummed coupe to be a couple of grand cheaper than the Audi.

When the RCZ first came out it was obvious they put style before performance. But now with a 17kg weight loss plan and lots more power, could this be the hot Pug we've been waiting for?

1280kg, 270hp, torsen diff, good looks. That's a lot of good stuff in one car.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Left Ventricle posted:

"Goes like a 4, drinks like a 6" is what I've heard of the 2.5, which says to me that it combines the worst aspects of both smaller and larger engines.

Oddly enough, that's pretty much what they said about the Mazda V6's from the MX-3/6, Ford Probe's in the 90's. Even in 2.5L form the V6 made 165hp, and sounded pretty awesome at 7,000rpm, but it swilled gas.

I used to joke that the 3.4L V8 in my '98 SHO had the horsepower of a V6 and the fuel economy of a V8. It was basically a 2.5 duratec with two more cylinders tacked on, but it was still a dog. I just can't believe that VW made no appreciable horsepower advancements in some 20 odd years.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Some photos of a covered-up Prius prototype have been going around the internet, and it seems the 2015 model year will be the start of the 4th generation:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-toyota-prius-spy-photos-news

There have been rumors of Toyota planning to offer an AWD version and use lithium-ion batteries, but not much else (besides continuing to improve the fuel economy, of course). I also remember seeing a video advertising some fancy collision avoidance tech, but I can't find it now.

Toyota is also planning on releasing a fuel cell car in 2015, which will carry about 300 miles worth of hydrogen and cost "in the neighborhood of $50,000":

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/30/2015-toyota-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-will-have-300-mile-range/

Is there really any reason to bother with fuel cells with battery technology as it is?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cockmaster posted:

Is there really any reason to bother with fuel cells with battery technology as it is?

Until you can bring a car to full charge in under 10 minutes, absolutely. Range is certainly getting better for electric cars to the point where they are mostly usable for commuters. However, unless that range is easily and quickly extended, they can't take over ALL car roles and that's something they are going to need to do since many people can't afford (or have place for) more than one car.

However, we don't really have a good source of hydrogen right now so it's going to be very hard to catch traction.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I had the impression that hydrogen is a chicken and egg problem. If fuel cell cars were sure to be huge in five years, the industry could arrange for stations to be there for them, using either hydrogen transport or hydrogen from natural gas. If the fuel stations were sure to be there in five years, fuel cell cars might take off.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I had the impression that hydrogen is a chicken and egg problem. If fuel cell cars were sure to be huge in five years, the industry could arrange for stations to be there for them, using either hydrogen transport or hydrogen from natural gas. If the fuel stations were sure to be there in five years, fuel cell cars might take off.

Hydrogen cars ignore the biggest problems in the room, which are where do we get the energy to make hydrogen from, and how do we get that energy to the users?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Some photos of a covered-up Prius prototype have been going around the internet, and it seems the 2015 model year will be the start of the 4th generation:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-toyota-prius-spy-photos-news

There have been rumors of Toyota planning to offer an AWD version and use lithium-ion batteries, but not much else (besides continuing to improve the fuel economy, of course). I also remember seeing a video advertising some fancy collision avoidance tech, but I can't find it now.

If they make it look anything at all like the NS4 concept, I would be all over that. In 6 years, when used ones start appearing, of course. Knowing Toyota, it'll have the exact same shape as the current one but with that angular face you see on the newest Rav4 and Camry.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cream_Filling posted:

Hydrogen cars ignore the biggest problems in the room, which are where do we get the energy to make hydrogen from, and how do we get that energy to the users?

Right.

For the moment, the cheapest and least energy intensive way to get hydrogen is actually reforming fossil fuels.

So, we end up with less energy than we would if we just used the fossil fuel to begin with, and still have all the of bad effects of using fossil fuesl (carbon emissions.)

On the flipside though, since the reforming of fossil fuels to get hydrogen would be done on a plant level, carbon sequestering becomes easier to do. But, that's all assuming that you don't end up releasing more CO2 from the additional fossil fuel extraction to begin with which is a common problem with extracting natural gas.

At the end of the day, we need mass adoption of nuclear power and use the waste heat with electrolysis to mass produce hydrogen, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Having a hydrogen distribution infrastructure has a side perk as well. We wouldn't have to give up IC engines if we didn't want to. While I'm sure a ton of the mass commuters would go to fuel cells for efficiency sake, you would still be able to your big block V8 as a weekend cruiser relatively unmodified and you could use it guilt free.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 11, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

And my favorite part of fuelling a hydrogen car. Fill it up Friday, half empty when you start it on Monday. Venting is a bitch.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Until you can bring a car to full charge in under 10 minutes, absolutely.

Some types of lithium iron phosphate cells are nearly there. Plus Tesla Motors has demonstrated a battery swap system for the Model S.

bull3964 posted:

Having a hydrogen distribution infrastructure has a side perk as well. We wouldn't have to give up IC engines if we didn't want to. While I'm sure a ton of the mass commuters would go to fuel cells for efficiency sake, you would still be able to your big block V8 as a weekend cruiser relatively unmodified and you could use it guilt free.

Don't you give up a lot of horsepower running a gasoline engine on hydrogen?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cockmaster posted:

Some types of lithium iron phosphate cells are nearly there. Plus Tesla Motors has demonstrated a battery swap system for the Model S.

But there's a whole other problem with that. You can get the tech to accept that much energy that fast, but how in the hell are you going to power the "charge station" with enough current to charge up 20 cars at once in a busy corridor. The laws of thermodynamics are a bitch in this regard.

The battery swap idea remains the most promising, but you still are going to have to fast charge those batteries to keep up with demand and then you are stuck with the same problem of providing enough utility power. I am also skeptical that we will ever get carmakers to agree to a standardized, cross/manufacturer swappable battery.

Now, the argument could be made that "charge stations" will be less busy than gas stations since most people won't need them if they stay within the range of car and charge nightly at home. But there are still certain places that will have to be high volume.

Cockmaster posted:

Don't you give up a lot of horsepower running a gasoline engine on hydrogen?

I'm not necessarily talking about a direct conversion of an existing design. I'm just saying that we could have IC hydrogen engines that would, for all intents and purposes, look and feel like existing IC cars for that whole nostalgia factor. As of 2009, BMW was able to make a hydrogen IC engine that was around 42% efficient which is on par with existing engines. It'll be a niche market, to be sure.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 11, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I could happily use an electric car 95% of the time, and the other 5% may be negotiable, as rapid charging stations are becoming more common here.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

I could happily use an electric car 95% of the time, and the other 5% may be negotiable, as rapid charging stations are becoming more common here.

This is why I think cars like the Volt have a chance to get big if the tech gets cheaper and goes into more models.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Volt is extended range, though, the issue of whether or not you can charge it up at a given location is very minor.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis of water. The wind turbines and tidal generators have excess production during off peak hours, especially nighttime. It's not the most efficient way of generating hydrogen but its pretty clean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Since the Peugeot RCZ was discussed some pages ago, I thought it was a nice thing of them to make this.

1280kg, 270hp, torsen diff, good looks. That's a lot of good stuff in one car.

Money and also I live in The United States of America.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

The Volt is extended range, though, the issue of whether or not you can charge it up at a given location is very minor.

I know, and it's perfect for the people who can use an electric car 95% of the time but worry about the other 5% like the person I quoted. If I had a place to charge it I'd have looked at them last year when I was buying a new car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

iv46vi posted:

Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis of water. The wind turbines and tidal generators have excess production during off peak hours, especially nighttime. It's not the most efficient way of generating hydrogen but its pretty clean.

Even if you covered the country in wind turbines and tidal generators I doubt you could generate anything close to enough power. Not to mention the fact that you have to store it and hydrogen's not very good or efficient at that.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 12, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

iv46vi posted:

Electrolysis gains efficiency as temperature of the water increases. Because of this, it's a MUCH better match to baseline plants like nuclear stations as they have excess heat that's usually wasted and rather constant.

"Room temperature" electrolysis as an efficiency of about 30% while HTE is in the 40%-50% range and above.

Even then, it's not enough unfortunately. It would take an order of magnitude more nuclear plants than we have now to create the same amount of energy in hydrogen that we consume in gasoline per day.

In the end, it would have to be a combination of many different methods to meet our energy demands with hydrogen.

The future will likely be closer to the Volt with a hydrogen fuel cell taking the place of the IC engine and gas tank for extended range. That way, the demands for hydrogen itself will be lessened as commuters draw most of their power off the grid and only need hydrogen for extended trips.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Though PEM fuel cells are honestly still not very good, and also hydrogen storage is pretty difficult, too, with a lot of the current systems scaring the hell out of me. Even ignoring the difficulties of creating a distribution infrastructure, it's not a great option. Molten carbonate is promising for fixed applications because it's way more efficient, but even there it's not that useful and isn't a way of actually generating power.

The future is gasoline for anything in our generation. Well, that and downsizing, public transport, and general deprivation.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The efficiency of the hydrogen technology is improving while gas prices continue to rise. Hopefully one day the alternative will become cost efficient.

And it's not necessarily the US that will lead the implementation. India and China would benefit from a cleaner transport and have the manufacturing capacity to produce cheaply. Lots of smaller developing countries have minimal gasoline infrastructure, so putting either one is possible. I've seen Tata hydrogen powered trike taxi back in 06, they worked fine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

iv46vi posted:

The efficiency of the hydrogen technology is improving while gas prices continue to rise. Hopefully one day the alternative will become cost efficient.

And it's not necessarily the US that will lead the implementation. India and China would benefit from a cleaner transport and have the manufacturing capacity to produce cheaply. Lots of smaller developing countries have minimal gasoline infrastructure, so putting either one is possible. I've seen Tata hydrogen powered trike taxi back in 06, they worked fine.

It's really not progressing that fast, honestly.

Why are you so convinced hydrogen is a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
While reforming methane NG is certainly the best volume option, you can get hydrogen from reforming a whole lot of industrial hydrocarbon waste gases that just get oxidized / burned into the atmosphere anyway. So it ends up being carbon neutral. You can also use the same gas to power the fuel cell doing the reforming, and stil have electricity and heat to provide for the industry that generated the waste gas; do it right and your efficiency can be quite high. Water purification plants are a good example, clean efficient power from your own poop, the waste heat goes back to drive the digesters.

One nice thing about reforming NG for hydrogen is that a lot of places have extensive NG infrastructure already.

I really don't get fuel cell cars, though, hydrogen IC seems to make far more sense, just from a cost of materiel perspective.