Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

D C posted:

I had a Nissan Rogue with the CVT as a production rental two weeks ago in Albuquerque. I usually hate CVTs but it was actually quite nice to drive, hardly noticed the transmission.

I'm in San Diego for the week and I'm renting a Lancer with a cvt while I'm here and I was surprised to find the thing fun to drive.

I drive an rx8 back home, but I can see myself getting a Lancer if I ever need something more practical, based on this week. It's a lot more fun than a Corolla or a Camry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Long Island Dot Jpeg

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Sweet bodywork. The drivers side looks like cake frosting.

:psyduck:

Is that one of those dually "conversions" where they bolt an extension onto each wheel hub, rivet some dually fenders on, and call it a day?

Yes, it's a thing, and yes, it's terrible.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They're going to get an abrupt lesson in yield strength the first time they try to carry enough of a load to justify dual wheels.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cenodoxus posted:

:psyduck:

Is that one of those dually "conversions" where they bolt an extension onto each wheel hub, rivet some dually fenders on, and call it a day?

Yes, it's a thing, and yes, it's terrible.

What really pisses me off about this is that you can do a proper DRW conversion on many heavy rear axles by swapping out brake drums and hubs, no more. Maybe brake backing plates as well. And the ones that you can't do a DRW conversion on this way... shouldn't be DRW.

I hate people sometimes. Scratch that, a lot of the time.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Found on another forum.

Nice Ford Esprit, bro!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kill-9 posted:

Found on another forum.

Nice Ford Esprit, bro!

That looks like something Will I Am cooked up.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Caught this yesterday:

I was amazed his rear end wasn't dragging on the ground from all that downforce.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

kastein posted:

What really pisses me off about this is that you can do a proper DRW conversion on many heavy rear axles by swapping out brake drums and hubs, no more. Maybe brake backing plates as well. And the ones that you can't do a DRW conversion on this way... shouldn't be DRW.

I hate people sometimes. Scratch that, a lot of the time.

Wouldn't you be able to rip apart a donor cube truck to convert pretty much any half/three-quarter/one-ton truck or van?
I see no shortage of old, broken delivery trucks even in dinky little junkyards around here. :effort: I guess.
Out of curiosity, why would you have to switch out backing plates?

VVVV: That was quick, thank you!

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 9, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

madeintaipei posted:

Wouldn't you be able to rip apart a donor cube truck to convert pretty much any half/three-quarter/one-ton truck or van?
I see no shortage of old, broken delivery trucks even in dinky little junkyards around here. :effort: I guess.
Out of curiosity, why would you have to switch out backing plates?

Depends. You could, but axle widths under those trucks are sometimes different, as are leaf perch mounting angles and spacings. So if you can weld, sure.

However, they often share many parts with the single rear wheel edition of the same axle. For instance on the chevy 14 bolt rear, the hubs are the same between the dually cube truck and dually pickup edition, and the axle housings are the same between other ones. So you can basically build an axle to suit your needs entirely out of various year/model/optioned junkyard parts.

The backing plates are different (sometimes) based off where the backing plate mounting flange will be located on the axle housing relative to where the brake drum needs to end up and where the wheel mounting flange on the hub is. That's about all I can think of. A LOT of this can be ignored if you're willing to swap to disc brakes (and who isn't) because people make very cheap adapter brackets to put common chevy 3/4 ton brake calipers and such onto a 14 bolt easily and they are available to fit any combination of SRW/DRW hubs and housings.

Similar swaps are possible with dana/spicer 60, 70, and 80 rears, but not quite as simple/commonly done in my understanding. In fact IIRC some flavors of 60s (dana 60-1SUs in particular) and 70s actually share wheel bearings with chevy 14 bolts, as well as some varieties of 1 ton front axle housings.

It's all a giant game of truck legos and so it really pisses me off when someone does a conversion in an expensive dangerous way when they could have done it just as well as the factory did by pulling parts off 2-3 junk trucks at the scrapyard.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
FWIW, it was a real dually. The front had a dually style wheel.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

kastein posted:

truck legos

Don't 3/4 and 1-ton trucks come with stronger frames though? You bolt a 1-ton dually rear end to a 1/2 ton frame and load it you could be in for a bad time right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I imagine under heavy towing/hauling duty the 1/2 ton transmission would go first.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Deceptor101 posted:

Don't 3/4 and 1-ton trucks come with stronger frames though? You bolt a 1-ton dually rear end to a 1/2 ton frame and load it you could be in for a bad time right?

They do, but IMO the hinky wheel adapters will fail way before the frame/suspension.

Transmissions are a concern too, but that depends a lot on your driving style and which brand you're talking about.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

88h88 posted:

quote:

Found on another forum.

Nice Ford Esprit, bro!

That looks like something Will I Am cocked up.

fixed it for you.

Krizematik
Oct 20, 2009

...Shiny!
We get some pretty neat stuff up in North Pole / Fairbanks Alaska

^ The front says "Dodge the father"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Um no, that is legitimately awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The rodeo's in town and now they have magnetic steer horns for your car.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's actually quite hilarious. Wrong thread. :)

I'm fairly certain I doodled a car like this in 2nd grade. I should sue for infringement. :colbert:

Why does civilized society allow these kinds of things to happen?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

If they put that on the bumper it'd make a decent moustache

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

If they put that on the bumper it'd make a decent moustache

I'm gonna go see how much they cost.

edit: $30. I wonder if it works on my bumper beam through the plastic cover.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Cenodoxus posted:

Why does civilized society allow these kinds of things to happen?

Ugh.... No.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think there may be some sort of time portal near southbank linking our time to 1999, and someone drove their supra through it.

(that's a poorly stenciled autobot logo on the hood, and the whole shambolic thing is even worse from the other side)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 11, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

God drat my aluminum hood, I want a Boss Hawg Prius

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Polymerized Cum posted:

God drat my aluminum hood, I want a Boss Hawg Prius

Put gently caress off big rare earth magnets on the underside of the hood.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I would unironically put these on my both my Cadillacs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Every time I told someone I had put Cadillac horns on my Altima, without loving fail, they always assumed I meant those things. :argh:

I wish I was kidding, even my parents asked where I got horns that would bolt to the hood. :saddowns: I guess everyone around here grew up watching The Dukes.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Ahahaha. I see this car all the time in Fairbanks. :) Definitely on the awesome list.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

Every time I told someone I had put Cadillac horns on my Altima, without loving fail, they always assumed I meant those things. :argh:

I wish I was kidding, even my parents asked where I got horns that would bolt to the hood. :saddowns: I guess everyone around here grew up watching The Dukes.

How hard was it to put those horns on the car? I need something loud as gently caress for when I finally get my bug on the road. Also, somehow when I moved out here from Texas my parents managed to hide a 3 foot set of longhorns in my stuff. They are now mounted in the garage.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Surely this guy must have a doppleganger driving a Volvo in Sweden rocking moose antlers.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Boomerjinks posted:

Surely this guy must have a doppleganger driving a Volvo in Sweden rocking moose antlers.
From the Swedespeed forums:

Not exactly what you had in mind, but I'm counting it!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That looks like a quick way to injure yourself without thinking. Also, I have learned from this page that Alaska is full of terrible people.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Das Volk posted:

That looks like a quick way to injure yourself without thinking. Also, I have learned from this page that Alaska is full of terrible people.

See this scar? Caught my hand on a moose antler grabbing third. :c00l:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

8th-samurai posted:

Put gently caress off big rare earth magnets on the underside of the hood.

Now I'm curious about what happens when you add gently caress off big rare earth magnets under the hood of an engine already housing a big electromagnetic motor

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Look closely...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Look closely...

Got rid of locking lug nuts and didn't replace them with anything?

I really like the Aristo/GS. Giugiaro knew what they were doing there.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 12, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It also looks like there's a fat crack in the front wheel.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Look closely...

Scotch tape racing stripe on the windshield?
No, really, what the gently caress is that? Tape? Some attempt at pinstriping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Reflection of the building across the street, I think.