Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Over the weekend I got to tour Earwolf and sit in on a taping of Professor Blastoff. If anyone has any questions or anything I'd be glad to answer them.

Did you see Sean or Hayes? Is RSS coming back this week? That's all I really care about in this horrible world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Eltoasto posted:

Did you see Sean or Hayes? Is RSS coming back this week? That's all I really care about in this horrible world.

Sorry, nope. It's a super-small office and Professor Blastoff was definitely the only thing recording. Engineer Brett was as close as I got to another podcast.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Is there a dedicated "Welcome to Night Vale" thread?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's one in GBS that was stickied for a while. Last post was a week ago so it's not a hive of activity.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sorry, nope. It's a super-small office and Professor Blastoff was definitely the only thing recording. Engineer Brett was as close as I got to another podcast.

You're killing me smalls.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You're killing me smalls.

I was only there from noon to 4, anything couldve been recording all morning/evening for all I know. Also I forgot to mention that I got some cool pictures of the signatures on the tables and the earwolf guestbook, including a portrait of Paul F Tompkins by Zach Galifinakis. My phone took a poo poo on the flight home so its in for repairs but I can post them up if anyone gives a poo poo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Definitely!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
We definitely want to see your swag!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Is there a dedicated "Welcome to Night Vale" thread?

How is this? I listened to a preview clip for it and it sounded really, really promising. I just have trouble keeping up with all the podcasts I listen to as it is; it's tough for me to start a new one.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

escape artist posted:

We definitely want to see your swag!

How is this? I listened to a preview clip for it and it sounded really, really promising. I just have trouble keeping up with all the podcasts I listen to as it is; it's tough for me to start a new one.

I'm really enjoying it, with a few caveats. It takes 'til episode 3 before the narrator really hits his stride with his character, and around episode 5 or 6, they start thinking "if one thing is funny, then a LIST of things must be hilarious! :D", but they find their way out of it almost as quickly.

The conceit behind the pair of Episode 19s is fun, too.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Any opinions on Wham Bam Pow?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Is Topics with Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black any good? I tend to be wary of Sho but I love Black.

I've listened to the first 2 eps and I'm not crazy about it so far. I guess the premise is they choose a topic, speak about it with faux sincerity and make the most obvious/trite observations they can think of without breaking their earnest characters. It just seems kinda thin and, for me, there haven't been a lot of laughs.

I'm a fan of both Michaels so I'll give it another couple of episodes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The Dead Authors Podcast episode on Ayn Rand, played by former millionaire John Hodgman, is up. In this episode, it is revealed that Rand doesn't understand how interviews work.

I don't want to ruin the hype, but this episode is boring. Basically, the bizarre things (M.A.S.H hate, obsession on trains) didn't go as far as I expected of Hodgman from his books or Daily Show appearances.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 26, 2013

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

toanoradian posted:

The Dead Authors Podcast episode on Ayn Rand, played by former millionaire John Hodgman, is up. In this episode, it is revealed that Rand doesn't understand how interviews work.

I don't want to ruin the hype, but this episode is boring. Basically, the bizarre things (M.A.S.H hate, obsession on trains) didn't go as far as I expected of Hodgman from his books or Daily Show appearances.

I thought it was the best one in a while. He knew his poo poo, but didn't go straight to Nietzsche/Lovecraft "OMG I AM SO WACKY" crazytown.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I thought it was the best one in a while. He knew his poo poo, but didn't go straight to Nietzsche/Lovecraft "OMG I AM SO WACKY" crazytown.

I agree. "You may ask me your first question" slayed me. As did Paul's escalating annoyance at the whole thing.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

If anything it made me really want more podcasts with Tompkins and Hodgeman together, they riffed off each other fairly well. Also they happen to own the two best moustaches in comedy.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Maduo posted:

If anything it made me really want more podcasts with Tompkins and Hodgeman together, they riffed off each other fairly well. Also they happen to own the two best moustaches in comedy.

Chris Tallman's mustache from the Arthur Conan Doyle episode.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Finally getting around to posting my photos from Earwolf, sorry for the multi-day cocktease:

One of two recording tables. This one had a guest book on it. Let's look inside...

...after a brief stop at what I believe to be Adominian hieroglyphics.

An outline for Don Dimello's Disney's Wizard of Oz.

Another thing by Andy Daly. Not going to pretend I can decode this one. If Cactus Tony ever was a thing on the show I've long since forgotten it.

A portrait of Jason Mantzoukas by Amy Pohler.

A portrait of Paul F. Tompkins by Zachariah Galafiniah.

There was other stuff but I didn't take pictures of it because it wasn't that funny. There's also a few pictures of me chatting with Professor Blastoff people but I'm ugly and the pictures are blurry, so nope.

Last thing: It felt REALLY good to have a bitch session about how much Squarespace sucks with one of the people that convinced me to try it.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 28, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

On Hodgman talk, check out his recent interview on Pete Holmes' show. It's really good. I found out that Hodgman's character is a slightly exaggerated and less funny version of his real personality.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Dang, thanks for posting those. Could probably put that in the earwolf thread too. Might be some people who check that one and not this one for some reason. Wish I could make out what Andy Daly wrote there.

If Cactus Tony ever was a thing on the show I've long since forgotten it.

I think it was the 200th episode. Cactus Tony is was, RIP Dom Dimello's day care manager.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Trujillo posted:

I think it was the 200th episode. Cactus Tony is was, RIP Dom Dimello's day care manager.

Was he also the cowboy poet of the West? The guy who wrote "You Must Buy Your Wife At Least As Much Jewelry as You Buy Your Horse" or whatever?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Binowru posted:

Was he also the cowboy poet of the West? The guy who wrote "You Must Buy Your Wife At Least As Much Jewelry as You Buy Your Horse" or whatever?

That's Dalton Wilcox.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Binowru posted:

VAMPIRES!

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

awesome Earwolf pics

those pictures are badass.

So, did you sign the table?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I didn't even think about it. Seems way too disrespectful, and wouldn't be amusing to anyone who saw it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Julie Klausner was in Toronto tonight, doing a Pride-related comedy show, and it was hilarious. I got to meet her afterward and she was the nicest person. I don't know how many people here listen to HWYW, but the host of the comedy show basically did a How Was Your How Was Your Week with her, where they talked about previous episodes and played some games and such.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The Berzerker posted:

Julie Klausner was in Toronto tonight, doing a Pride-related comedy show, and it was hilarious. I got to meet her afterward and she was the nicest person. I don't know how many people here listen to HWYW, but the host of the comedy show basically did a How Was Your How Was Your Week with her, where they talked about previous episodes and played some games and such.

I just started listening to HWYW recently and I love it. I can't think of any other podcast from a female perspective that's so funny and original.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Listening to The Death Author's Podcast with Ayn Rand... I think Ayn Rand should go on the road with Werner Herzog, they have a lot in common and would make a great couple.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

cams posted:

Listening to The Death Author's Podcast with Ayn Rand... I think Ayn Rand should go on the road with Werner Herzog, they have a lot in common and would make a great couple.

No kidding, a friend of mine actually suggested this idea right after that podcast was released. Great minds!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

So happy that the American is back on the bugle

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The new episode of The K Ohle with Scott Aukerman is really great.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
As far as reasons for putting the podcast up late, Dave from Stop Podcasting Yourself has a pretty good one this week.

quote:

At around 11:15pm on July 4th, I was leaving a comedy show with about 50 other people. A man ran into the crowd with something concealed under his shirt. He then walked up to me and my friend and said, “Hey, how’s it going?" He pulled out a handgun, lifted it up to my head, and fired point blank.
http://t.co/t7NNPINp6Z

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Holy loving poo poo. That's horrfying. He's so goddamn lucky.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

I did find it odd when they missed their first week in something like 3 years, but what the gently caress I never would've expected that. I'm so glad he's okay.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Red_Museum posted:

As far as reasons for putting the podcast up late, Dave from Stop Podcasting Yourself has a pretty good one this week.

http://t.co/t7NNPINp6Z

Yeah, holy poo poo indeed. I started listening to the episode on my run this morning and it's a good one.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
It was pretty surreal listening to this because I was at the show where this happened. I was walking to my car and heard 3 bangs but just assumed they were from off in the distance somewhere. I read the news report when I got home and heard that the guy shot twice at people outside the show and then shot himself. I had no idea that there was a gun to Dave's head and he was an inch away from being killed.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Holy loving poo poo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
God has it out for podcasters lately, it seems.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I listen to indie wrestler Colt Cabana's podcast (the Art of Wrestling, it's like WTF but for independent wrestlers... anyway) and he was at the show with them. He told his account of the events and it sounds pretty insane.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

I listen to indie wrestler Colt Cabana's podcast (the Art of Wrestling, it's like WTF but for independent wrestlers... anyway) and he was at the show with them. He told his account of the events and it sounds pretty insane.

Colt is also the guest on the latest episode of Stop Podcasting Yourself, on which they all discuss it together.

The best bart was-
Dave: He raised the gun to my head and I flinched as he fired.
Graham: Then he fired twice for flinching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but "I Seem Fun: The Diary of Jen Kirkman" is a delight.

• Locked thread