Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

crazypeltast52 posted:

NimbleBit guys, dare I ask about the NimbleQuest update?

I think the update just includes a new version of Everyplay that lets you record your face with the front cam when recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

webmeister posted:

:siren: Knights of the Old Republic just halved in price :siren:

Searching for this, I just stumbled on Star Wars Pinball.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/star-wars-pinball/id594811233?mt=8

Has anyone tried this at all? I'd love to hear some feedback if we've got someone who's tried it.

I used to be in love with an old school Star Wars pinball table when I was about 15 or so that I think was an episode IV table, because I remember an x-wing on it and a goal where you had to line up a shot fired out of the xwing to blow up the Death Star, but it might not have been limited to ep IV and more of a whole original trilogy table.

This pinball app has an ep V table to begin with and a couple of newer ones as iap, but it says the plan is for 10 tables all up and I'd kill to have that old table playable on ios.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I bought Deus Ex because it seemed promising, and it's obvious people cared when they worked on this game, but man, touch screen combat for first person shooters continues to be a miserable steaming pile. I dream of an alternate timeline where the Vita has a healthy install base, leading to games like this getting put on the handheld with controls that work for them.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

nrr posted:

Searching for this, I just stumbled on Star Wars Pinball.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/star-wars-pinball/id594811233?mt=8

Has anyone tried this at all? I'd love to hear some feedback if we've got someone who's tried it.

I used to be in love with an old school Star Wars pinball table when I was about 15 or so that I think was an episode IV table, because I remember an x-wing on it and a goal where you had to line up a shot fired out of the xwing to blow up the Death Star, but it might not have been limited to ep IV and more of a whole original trilogy table.

This pinball app has an ep V table to begin with and a couple of newer ones as iap, but it says the plan is for 10 tables all up and I'd kill to have that old table playable on ios.

This is the same thing as the Zen Pinball app, which has the Star Wars tables and more. I guess they made a version for just the SW stuff but I don't see any reason to get this when you can just download Zen.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Someone remind me - a an RPG style game that was also a todo app. It was pretty popular amongst goons for a while a year or two ago.

Anyone remember?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Funso Banjo posted:

Someone remind me - a an RPG style game that was also a todo app. It was pretty popular amongst goons for a while a year or two ago.

Anyone remember?
Googled "productivity rpg app" and got EpicWin.

e: i feel dirty just typing that

tut
Nov 4, 2004

Dungeonism is a really fun new turn based/roguelike. Great gameplay and graphics to match. It's got a lot going for it. Had to grind a bit but once I did it really opened up.

App Store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeonism/id659907714?mt=8

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Funso Banjo posted:

Anyone remember?

Yeah, it's Epic Win but be warned its not a game whatsoever. It's a very simple to-do app with a fantasy-styled interface. I wouldn't pay for it. Well I guess I did, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

duckfarts posted:

Googled "productivity rpg app" and got EpicWin.

e: i feel dirty just typing that

It is also a horrible, horrible app that no-one should buy. I loved the idea of it, bought it, used it, and ended up hating it. If someone made a good version of this, it would be great. I think I leveled up like 3 times ever, it had no RPG in the RPG.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Ravenmark has dropped to $5, and Angry Birds Star Wars is free right now.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Parkingtigers posted:

It is also a horrible, horrible app that no-one should buy. I loved the idea of it, bought it, used it, and ended up hating it. If someone made a good version of this, it would be great. I think I leveled up like 3 times ever, it had no RPG in the RPG.

Pretty much this. I bought it, and am currently using it - but it seems like you have to add every little menial task you do if you ever want to level up. A non-game with a lot of grinding, what the hell.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

-Anders posted:

A non-game with a lot of grinding, what the hell.

I call that employment.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
The horror game Home is on sale for 99¢. I recall hearing that it's amazing or whatever.

http://appshopper.com/games/home-a-unique-horror-adventure

Hey, is Ravenmark good and goon-approved? It's on sale now, but I can't remember why exactly I put it on my watch list ages ago.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Honestly, gently caress Popcap for PvZ 2. I would happily pay for the game upfront. I did on day one the first one came out on PC and for iOS.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Speaking of PvZ2 - if I pay $2 to unlock a key gate, is that ALL key gates or just one? That doesn't seem clear :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

psylent posted:

Speaking of PvZ2 - if I pay $2 to unlock a key gate, is that ALL key gates or just one? That doesn't seem clear :(

I haven't played it or even know what key gate is but take a wild loving guess. The more I hear about PvZ2 the less I care about playing it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

psylent posted:

Mate what do you think.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
All this news pf PvZ2 being a wasteland of IAPs is crushing me. :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Bloody hell. gently caress you EA and gently caress you Pop Cap.

I played through the entire Egypt area and picked up enough keys to open only the very first gate. Maybe you get more in later stages and you can come back and open the gates later for "replayability".

Right? Right?

I know I'm complaining about playing a free game, but jesus PopCap :(

edit: wow once you finish playing through an area you have to go back and play the whole thing again to earn enough stars to unlock the next area, OR you can pay $5 to do it right now.

PopCap :cripes:

double edit: there's 3 stars to earn per level. You can't earn more than 1 star per play. To finish the first area it looks likes you have to play through every level 4 times. :cripes::cripes::cripes:

last edit: to exit the first area you need to earn 40 stars. If you 3 star all the levels that are "3 starable" you'll earn 27 stars in total. The other stars are locked behind doors that can only be opened with keys that rarely drop OR by paying $2/gate. There are 5 gates per level and I've managed to open two of them.

So it looks like it's "play the game till you're bored of it and hate it OR pay up now to avoid all that unpleasantness!"

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 11, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Funny how quick studios fall after getting acquired by EA. I thought Popcap might be different but nope, their first release after the acquisition and it's already filled with terrible IAP. No wonder the creator of the series left the company.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

tut posted:

Dungeonism is a really fun new turn based/roguelike. Great gameplay and graphics to match. It's got a lot going for it. Had to grind a bit but once I did it really opened up.

I want to say the dev is a goon, too, but not entirely sure.

EDIT: it's either a goon, or he somehow ended up in the same twitter group / tweeted at me around the same time.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 11, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I keep an open mind on IAP, and was prepared to give PvZ2 a fair shake as Popcap are good guys and wouldn't gently caress a brilliant franchise. Right guys? Right?

All your tales of the reality are crushingly sad. I don't even mind the idea of holding back some of the plants as the actual entry price, but locking away level progression as well behind keys you buy? This sounds horrible.

gently caress you EA.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Parkingtigers posted:

I keep an open mind on IAP, and was prepared to give PvZ2 a fair shake as Popcap are good guys and wouldn't gently caress a brilliant franchise. Right guys? Right?

All your tales of the reality are crushingly sad. I don't even mind the idea of holding back some of the plants as the actual entry price, but locking away level progression as well behind keys you buy? This sounds horrible.

gently caress you EA.

Wow. If even you hate it, that is a very bad sign. I'm going to stay indoors in case there is a rain of blood.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

tut posted:

I really like the art style going on here.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Shalinor posted:

I want to say the dev is a goon, too, but not entirely sure.
That (Dungeonism) looks pretty good - I already have a half dozen games that I've bought and not played (I'm looking at you Great Battles Medieval, and you Colin Mcrae), if Dungeonism is a goon-made-game I'll pick it up over Rovio's new Tiny Thief, which also looks like fun.

And yah, what Parkingtigers said, gently caress you EA.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I remember when you could buy a game up front and just play it. Those halcyon days of playing a match 3 game as long as one wished. Building cities and farms all carefree and poo poo. We were so naive then.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Bummey posted:

Joe Danger runs pretty poorly on my 4 :( The 6 can't come soon enough.

It runs pretty great on the 5 but I did notice some slowdowns on my iPad 3. So far nova 3 and Joe Danger are the only two games I've really noticed them on my iPad but is enough to make me really look forward to the new new iPad, or will it be new new new by then?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wildtortilla posted:

All this news pf PvZ2 being a wasteland of IAPs is crushing me. :(
Are you honestly surprised? Is anybody? Put 'EA' and 'freemium' together, consider your past experience with both of those terms, and if you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for even a moment about the result being a pay-to-play hellhole then the joke's on you really.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I went looking for news on the PvZ creator being let go from Popcap because I hadn't heard that news. I found this oddly prescient comment on Escapist from August 2012:

wait why did I read comments again? drat it posted:

Par for the course with an EA business strategy.

Have wildly successful original IP
Announce sequal
Fire everyone who had something to do with the great first one
Dice up core gameplay in to tiny monetized bits
????
Profit

It's really depressing how accurate that claim was. Not surprising, but depressing.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Remember Flight Control? The cool airplane landing game that really nailed touch controls?

EA bought Firemint, the developer.

Flight Control 2 was an IAP disaster. Had to buy "energy" to play. The franchise is now destroyed.

I loving hate EA

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Tiny Thief is absolutely adorable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

That (Dungeonism) looks pretty good - I already have a half dozen games that I've bought and not played (I'm looking at you Great Battles Medieval, and you Colin Mcrae), if Dungeonism is a goon-made-game I'll pick it up over Rovio's new Tiny Thief, which also looks like fun.

And yah, what Parkingtigers said, gently caress you EA.

I just grabbed both because why not?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Samara posted:

I loving hate EA
Listen man, I've been hating EA with a fiery passion since they bought (and ruined) Westwood Studios in 1998. I was hating EA before it was cool :c00l:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TACD posted:

Listen man, I've been hating EA with a fiery passion since they bought (and ruined) Westwood Studios in 1998. I was hating EA before it was cool :c00l:
I've been hating them since they acquired Bullfrog in 1995, so nice try.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've been hating them since they acquired Bullfrog in 1995, so nice try.

Origin acquisition in 1992, lightweight. :colbert:

I think Origin was EA's first high-profile acquisition actually. I can't find anything earlier than that.

Still after Simpsons Tapped Out was basically EA's revenue superstar last year we all knew this was coming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Didn't Popcap even have the balls to say "PvZ2 IAP won't be pay to win?" or something along those lines?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bottom Liner posted:

Didn't Popcap even have the balls to say "PvZ2 IAP won't be pay to win?" or something along those lines?

Not in those words but yes, they said it would be unobtrusive and wouldn't stop anyone from playing everything it hhhhhhffffgffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

They're technically correct, it's not pay-to-win, you just have to buy keys to keep playing! :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
You do earn keys from combat, just (very) slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Bitches I been hatin' on EA ever since they had that terrible logo in the Genesis days. Square sphere cone? Bullshit I says.

Actually I don't mind EA that much (they have their good days and their bad days) but they sure do make some dumb decisions on behalf of corporate bloat.

• Locked thread