Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Do I need a berserk pack to unleash the god hand in MSX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

No! You just need to charge it up (it uses all your shield energy) and you're ready to release your nuclear-knuckles. :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

Do I need a berserk pack to unleash the god hand in MSX?
Nope, just switch to your fists and hold down whatever you've bound to Altfire (usually right mouse).

You can also hold down the Grenade key to Godhand up your grenade, but, uh, you'll want to make sure the enemy is a ways off if you do that. :gibs:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Grenades will fly like a rocket and explode on impact from charge levels 2 and up. I think 3 fastballs it, and 4 makes the blast bigger, but costs your shield. Very much an 'Aim away from face' situation.

As the game gives you grenades fairly regularly, it's a great budget substitute for rockets before you get the autocannon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6UQ2QlRH0

TotalBiscuit playing the new Shadow Warrior steam version and ranting about classic game design vs modern game design.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like the fact that the ranting is more towards modern FPS and praising old-school ones. I'm not a TB fanboy but he has some good videos and he has some valid points on this in my opinion, and he's not even playing the best build game.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
If I may sneak an early TPS into the early FPS thread, I was wondering if anyone knows if any digital retailers are offering American McGee's Alice? Madness Returns is $5 today and I'd really like to play both. I seem to recall hearing that the original was packaged with the sequel, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Steam version?

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6UQ2QlRH0

TotalBiscuit playing the new Shadow Warrior steam version and ranting about classic game design vs modern game design.

Attributing everything to secrets is really dumb. Though it depends on exactly which game, enemy and weapon variety play a big part in why these games are so good - they give combat much more nuance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Garnavis posted:

If I may sneak an early TPS into the early FPS thread, I was wondering if anyone knows if any digital retailers are offering American McGee's Alice? Madness Returns is $5 today and I'd really like to play both. I seem to recall hearing that the original was packaged with the sequel, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Steam version?

My version does have Alice 1 contained in it, so I had to go check. Looks like I've got the lovely Origin version though, and sadly it does look like Alice Madness Returns on Steam doesn't have Alice 1.

Origin does offer PC Download of Madness Returns, but it doesn't say if it includes Alice 1 or not.

Maybe I bought the physical disc? I can't remember. That seems possible though.

Tiger Schwert posted:

Attributing everything to secrets is really dumb. Though it depends on exactly which game, enemy and weapon variety play a big part in why these games are so good - they give combat much more nuance.

Yeah, agreed. Also he was all "No modern games do this! Some come close, like Hard Reset or Serious Sam, but none do it right!"

I was yelling "HALF LIFE 2" at my monitor as loud as I could. I'll forgive him forgetting them though as Valve hasn't put one out in years. HL has some seriously excellent old-school level design though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

HL2 was pretty linear in terms of level design, it was still astounding level design though.
I feel like one of the points he was trying to get across is that the scarcity of weapons/ammo and the need to explore in old games creates a bit of tension. There is always that feeling of living on the edge that makes the old school games so much fun.

The oldschool games were really good at creating those nail biting situations, and then rewarding you at just the right times with incredibly overpowered weapons so you don't get burnt out. Then promptly running out of ammo on those weapons so it doesn't become a cakewalk. They really were a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows, and that is largely because of the level design and gun/ammoo placement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HL2 is definitely very linear (though Valve does an amazing job of hiding it), but it still has tons of secrets and little hidden rewards, and it has that survival feel of being low on health or ammo and wondering if you're going to find some supplies soon, was what I was getting at.

VVVV Oh I'll totally give that a shot.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 10, 2013

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Hey guys, just going to do a bit of Doom wad-related (somewhat self) promotion:

Doom 2 In Name Only is a community MegaWAD that I've contributed a few maps towards - its first beta was released earlier this evening, so if anybody's looking for new Doom material to have a go at, check this out!

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

HL2 is definitely very linear (though Valve does an amazing job of hiding it), but it still has tons of secrets and little hidden rewards, and it has that survival feel of being low on health or ammo and wondering if you're going to find some supplies soon, was what I was getting at.

VVVV Oh I'll totally give that a shot.

I definitely agree with that. While I don't love linear games, I wish modern linear games (the CODS, and Bioshock Infinite) followed Half Life 2's linearity mapping.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I grabbed the classic redux of Shadow Warrior because it's just such a pain in the rear end to get working with Dosbox. Plus, those expansions going along with it seems good. I was amazed that it worked perfectly, and played really well.

I only had time to run through the shareware levels last night, but it, somehow, holds up. I say this as someone who really didn't care for it that much when it first came out. Who knows!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I cringed a bit when TotalBiscuit said "arena combat". To me the "arena" thing is a trap a lot of modern "retro" shooters fall into. Both arena shooters like Serious Sam and Painkiller, and modern military shooters, break the game up into discrete fight sequences. You enter an area, fight some dudes, a scripted bit happens, and the fight is over. The really old FPS games don't do that. There are a few setpiece battles (like Wolfenstein E4M8's opener with the horde of officers or Doom E1M6 locking you in the red key arena as a whole bunch of monster closets open up), but mostly it's just a bad guy here, a bad guy there, two bad guys over that way. Enemies are sprinkled in small groups throughout the level so whenever you're in a new area you're fighting somebody and the fights flow seamlessly into each other.

Modern shooters have to make every combat an event and do a buildup to it and all that. In an oldschool FPS a guy just jumps out behind you and shoots you without warning, or you walk around the corner and a bunch of guys start shooting, or you fire a shot and now the level is crawling with dozens of dudes searching for you, and when they find you, instead of a dramatic cutscene as they appear, they just...start shooting.

...And did they seriously infect Shadow Warrior with the texture filtering disease?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Woolie Wool posted:

...And did they seriously infect Shadow Warrior with the texture filtering disease?

The only thing they changed graphically was the HUD, which I have minimized so it's just current ammo count and health count in the corner of the screen. In game graphics are the same as ever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can turn the texture filtering off if you want. It's not hard to figure out.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Woolie Wool posted:

I cringed a bit when TotalBiscuit said "arena combat". To me the "arena" thing is a trap a lot of modern "retro" shooters fall into. Both arena shooters like Serious Sam and Painkiller, and modern military shooters, break the game up into discrete fight sequences. You enter an area, fight some dudes, a scripted bit happens, and the fight is over. The really old FPS games don't do that. There are a few setpiece battles (like Wolfenstein E4M8's opener with the horde of officers or Doom E1M6 locking you in the red key arena as a whole bunch of monster closets open up), but mostly it's just a bad guy here, a bad guy there, two bad guys over that way. Enemies are sprinkled in small groups throughout the level so whenever you're in a new area you're fighting somebody and the fights flow seamlessly into each other.

Modern shooters have to make every combat an event and do a buildup to it and all that. In an oldschool FPS a guy just jumps out behind you and shoots you without warning, or you walk around the corner and a bunch of guys start shooting, or you fire a shot and now the level is crawling with dozens of dudes searching for you, and when they find you, instead of a dramatic cutscene as they appear, they just...start shooting.

If we're looking for parallels to modern games, I thought the original Far Cry did a decent job of this. Very non-linear arenas full of bad guys, you can deal with them however you want, and the fights often sort of flow into each other without a whole lot of distinct transitions.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cream_Filling posted:

If we're looking for parallels to modern games, I thought the original Far Cry did a decent job of this. Very non-linear arenas full of bad guys, you can deal with them however you want, and the fights often sort of flow into each other without a whole lot of distinct transitions.

Halo tries to do this (and Borderlands) - Crysis has pretty good maps.

Call of Duty 4 hides the linearity well, on par with Half-Life 2. I liked the larger vehicle maps in Half-Life 2 - there's alot of 'empty space', and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can be atmospheric.

A new thing is to have scripted, modular maps and overworlds. Valve did this a little bit in Ravenholm and Left 4 Dead - Bungie did alot more of it with ODST and Reach. Since more MMO type features are coming into games it might be something we'll see in more map designs.

Of course all Doom Maps have worked online for years and you could probably implement a good chunk of the 'social' features.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

The original Shadow Warrior had texture filtering, but it was only available via 3dfx Voodoo cards. The first Blood had the same feature.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

McDowell posted:

Halo tries to do this (and Borderlands) - Crysis has pretty good maps.

Call of Duty 4 hides the linearity well, on par with Half-Life 2. I liked the larger vehicle maps in Half-Life 2 - there's alot of 'empty space', and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can be atmospheric.

A new thing is to have scripted, modular maps and overworlds. Valve did this a little bit in Ravenholm and Left 4 Dead - Bungie did alot more of it with ODST and Reach. Since more MMO type features are coming into games it might be something we'll see in more map designs.

Of course all Doom Maps have worked online for years and you could probably implement a good chunk of the 'social' features.

Left 4 Dead did this in a really limited way, but I'm excited to see more work one day on procedurally generated levels and gameplay. I know there's some Doom plugins that do this, but I bet that if Carmack and co. put their brains to it they could totally make things work and give us massive replay value. Especially now that the next gen of consoles will have way more ram and such to let stuff like that work. Doom is mostly mazes, so give us a maze generator.

Hell, even just deathmatch in never before seen maps would be cool by adding the challenge of quickly learning a new map.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
It would be really neat to see procedurally generated maps. Roguelikes (even DoomRL) have been able to make balanced levels with random corridors and enemies for decades, so it's strange to think it hasn't been attempted full-scale for an FPS, outside of Minecraft and similar games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

It would be really neat to see procedurally generated maps. Roguelikes (even DoomRL) have been able to make balanced levels with random corridors and enemies for decades, so it's strange to think it hasn't been attempted full-scale for an FPS, outside of Minecraft and similar games.

The thing is, trying to make anything in 3D procedural that isn't super repetitive or frequently looks like rear end is really, really hard. And all FPS are 3D, other than Doom which is pretty much 3D. So its just a huge technical headache with not necessarily all that much payoff.

I agree though, I'd love to see it. I'd love to see more games based on arcadey style gameplay anyways. Rather than a fixed campaign, just have a really good mission generator that you can configure and play over and over.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I just got linked to this today: Quake for the Oculus Rift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xp0m6KEtJQ
Ben Kuchera tried it and wrote about it, if you can stomach him.

The idea of being inside a game you've played many times before is pretty nuts. I've only tried the Rift briefly for a couple of minutes, but it was TF2 Dustbowl, and it was really weird to be looking around it with my actual head... if that makes sense.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I still think vehicle games are going to be a better fit for the Rift than FPSes will ever be.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

jerkstoresup posted:

They sorta count. I guess.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing is, trying to make anything in 3D procedural that isn't super repetitive or frequently looks like rear end is really, really hard. And all FPS are 3D, other than Doom which is pretty much 3D. So its just a huge technical headache with not necessarily all that much payoff.

I agree though, I'd love to see it. I'd love to see more games based on arcadey style gameplay anyways. Rather than a fixed campaign, just have a really good mission generator that you can configure and play over and over.

I mean all very true, but we can do convincing procedurally generated natural terrain or even city layouts already, and human architecture in general is pretty predictable and constrained in the 3d direction anyway. I bet it's doable on even a less-than-AAA budget since it's mostly programming work and you can save money on artists laboriously making levels and scripting things, which apparently takes up a big chunk of the budget and time required to make a game these days. It's the logical progression of Carmack's ideas with the latest idtech - use programmers to reduce the need for artists.

I also say this because lately I've been spending more and more of my time playing roguelikes or other heavily proceduralized or emergent games, and I always end up clocking more hours there than other types of games. And also stuff like Doom where it's relatively easy to develop for so you have a thousand monkeys occasionally producing some new cool content. Versus conventional single-player, where you finish the campaign and welp you're done.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 11, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There's a WAD generator out there for Doom II that produces random maps. They're largely boring (though I would argue they're never terrible), but some of them do turn out good.

Can't remember what it's called, though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
SLIGE was a WAD-generator that made Doomworld's "10 most infamous WADs" list because it became commonplace for people to upload SLIGE-generated maps as their own creations for awhile.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
There's also OBLIGE, which is quite a bit better (exactly how much better is subjective, though, because it can suffer from a lot of the same pitfalls as SLIGE when it comes to repetition and predictability).

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
ROTT had a basic random level generator as well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jerkstoresup posted:

You might want to check out Warframe, which is quickly shaping up to be one of the better F2P shooters out there. Randomly generated maps with lots of variants, so even a familiar room might come in dark, infected, frozen or burning variants, and they regularly add new map tiles to keep things fresh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

I just got linked to this today: Quake for the Oculus Rift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xp0m6KEtJQ
Ben Kuchera tried it and wrote about it, if you can stomach him.

The idea of being inside a game you've played many times before is pretty nuts. I've only tried the Rift briefly for a couple of minutes, but it was TF2 Dustbowl, and it was really weird to be looking around it with my actual head... if that makes sense.

I have a rift and TF2 is super fun. Its totally eerie, I love to just park myself on the corner of some map in spectator mode and look around at the cartoon world that I'm in, and just watch people shoot each other. Its incredible.

That said, I don't think quake will work well for VR WHATSOEVER. Its about 10,000x too fast.

I get ill over time playing slow paced games like Half-Life 2. If you play TF2, you should really stick to Heavy. If you try playing the Scout in TF2 with a Rift, you're going to feel awful in about sixty seconds.

Its cool that games are getting support hacked in, and I do love walking around HL2 or Skyrim with the Rift, but really, games will have to be designed specifically for this thing. FPS in particular will have to have lots of restraints, the game will have to be designed to be MUCH slower. Your turn and move speeds need to be crawling by normal FPS standards to feel right on a Rift, because its realistic. OTOH, simulation type shooters will be much more at home, games like ARMA would be loving perfect for the Rift.

haveblue posted:

I still think vehicle games are going to be a better fit for the Rift than FPSes will ever be.

You're absolutely right. The Boat and Car sections of HL2 work reall, really well on the Rift. Space and Car games are the most natural and easy to adapt for VR. Everything else will take some changing to fit properly.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Place bets on the time, in seconds, before throwing up by loading up quake done quickest.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I still get queasy in an Oculus Rift trying to play first person shooters. The weird movement we're all used to in an FPS does not jive well with what our eyes are used to seeing.

Driving or stationary looking around and I'm fine though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

daft punk railroad posted:

There's also OBLIGE, which is quite a bit better

Ah, this rings a bell. Pretty sure it's what I was thinking of.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yodzilla posted:

Yes. I have fond memories of not only playing SoF2 Gold at LAN parties, but messing around with the procedurally generated "survival" maps the game created. Starting with nothing more than a knife and having to escape from a level that was RANDOMLY BUILT was really cool, especially by early-2000's standards.

If you guys drank more when you played games, this Occulus Rift wouldn't be so impressive.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Steam summer sale is here, I thought it might be a good idea to share some deals for some of the somewhat niche games in here. Not all of these are retro, but they at least have similar appeal.

If you are a fan of quake style physics and going super fast inMomentum is on sale for $2.49. Its a First person racing game, basically like those jump/trick maps that always pop up in other FPS games.

The whole thief series, including the Thief collection is also on sale.

Shootmania which is a bit of a throwback FPS is 40% off. Its multiplayer only, and a bit of a new school twist on the old school arena combat games. Very simplified weapon system, unlimited ammo, and some interesting skill based movement. I was on the fence about shootmania for a while, but this video sold me on it.
I might hold off on this though because its possible it will become a daily deal and go lower.

Anyone else see any good deals?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Wadjamaloo posted:

Anyone else see any good deals?

id games are 40% off right now, though I'm sure there'll be a daily deal at 75% so probably worth holding off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I loved SoF II gold multiplayer and I kinda miss Hellgate London. It was a weird game but somehow enjoyable for me. I still keep my retail copy, wondering if they ever released the content patches for free or if is even possible to play considering that the servers died (the authentication ones i think).

Edit: Sorry for the derail about a non Early FPS but it seems that this thing is alive: http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx Can anyone tell me if this is actually trustworthy?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 11, 2013