Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

pal670 posted:

Anyone that can identify these birds? I am new to this sort of stuff, so have little to no knowledge, but am slowly going to learn.

Screech by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

He's hungry by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

Flyover by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

Give http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx a try - it's helped me in the past.

The colors on the first and last images you posted reminds me of juve Bald Eagles, but it's looking too uniform for that.

e: every loving time I get the first post on a new page my heart stops because I'm afraid I posted a new thread. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Nice western tanagers! I saw the first photo and I thought you were getting a pic of some rainforest manakin or something.

e: goldfinches would be half the size with a much smaller pointier bill. and no red unless you had a funny pine grosbeak or crossbill or something.

Thanks! I thought they looked different than the finches I see at home but I assumed it was mating plumage. And I guess I ignored the size increase...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

pal670 posted:

Anyone that can identify these birds? I am new to this sort of stuff, so have little to no knowledge, but am slowly going to learn.

I assume you're in Europe by the middle one (looks like either a great tit or blue tit- I forget which), so hopefully someone else can chime in. The bill doesn't usually look like that- you found one with an uncommon but widespread bill abnormality. I'm not sure if it's bee figured out, but for some reason a lot of birds of different species, often in northern latitudes get those long decurved bills.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

pal670 posted:

There are a few hawks that come close to this one, but I'd say rough-legged hawk if I had to guess. Where are you located?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The crop on this is awesome. I love it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Pal670- here's a link to some research on the beak deformities- they are interested in observations of where it is occurring and which species it is affecting.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

pal670 posted:

Every once in a while I glance over at my copy of Collins Bird Guide and try to figure out why I own a European bird book when I've never been to Europe. Glad to put it to use. Middle one is Great Tit. Blue tit is similar but has a line through the eye and more white above that line.

I was going to say "Whatever the European equivalent of a Red-Tailed Hawk is" for the second one, but it looks most like the Common Buzzard in my book. Given that this is the most common hawk in the area it inhabits I guess my statement would have been correct. Some of the plumage details look off, but I'm assuming there's a lot of variation like our Red-Tailed Hawk and/or that it's molting. There's probably a Flickr group for Bird ID from your area if you want to get someone local though.

Interestingly, Europe does have Rough-Legged Hawks (Called Rough-Legged Buzzard there, Buzzard being their word for Buteos rather than vulture), but they don't appear to make it much farther than Scandinavia this time of year. That photo also doesn't look quite right to the illustrations they list for it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

These are pretty boring, but they are pretty extreme crops from the 100-400L I bought from torgeaux. I am very impressed with this lens.
The 100-400 is pretty much the gateway drug of the camera world. Congrats on the new lens, it seems to be doing a great job for you.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This photo is pretty lousy, but given the distance and rarity of the bird involved I'm happy with it. Apparently it's been a well kept secret that Northern Hawk Owls have breed in Washington in the last few years. They are only rarely reported south of the Canadian border and usually only in winter.

Northern Hawk-Owl by beastofexmoor, on Flickr
All good stuff (especially that Swainson's). Congrats on the Hawk Owl -- I had no idea they went that far south either.

Mr. Despair posted:

Sat outside for 30 minutes without seeing much of anything worthwhile to shoot, but Mr. Robin swung by to pose for me at the end to cheer me up.

P7081217.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr
I don't think sniffing its armpit counts as "posing".

Graniteman posted:

Goldfinches of Mount Lassen National Park
Edit: Western Tanagers of Mount Lassen

Digging this shot a lot.

I don't know how you chose that crop, but it is really working for this shot. Please teach me your secrets.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
It was like three years ago, but I think I had Andrew Zuckerman in mind when I framed it that way. I dunno.

pal670
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks alot guys! Helped alot, will give that research some extra help :)

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Went out with my new camera and lens this evening, this was the only photo I was really happy with.

Killdeer [Charadrius vociferus] by EPICAC, on Flickr

EPICAC fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 14, 2013

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

DSC_8787.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8788.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

There's a snowy at this park as well, but going back for better shots of him.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
New bird feeder in the yard. Sudden interest of some yellow warblers. When I setup to shoot, of course they left, so I waited, patiently, for a couple of hours, while reading. No worries. We have some great cardinals, too. This was the best shot I got. Motherfuckers.

Son of a b#tch by torgeaux, on Flickr

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

We saw this guy fly over, and followed him to the nearest water.

Great Blue Heron by EPICAC, on Flickr

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

torgeaux posted:

New bird feeder in the yard. Sudden interest of some yellow warblers. When I setup to shoot, of course they left, so I waited, patiently, for a couple of hours, while reading. No worries. We have some great cardinals, too. This was the best shot I got. Motherfuckers.

Son of a b#tch by torgeaux, on Flickr

Cardinals are the dicks of the backyard.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I followed some shrill screeching down the bluffs and found some black oystercatchers today

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cru Jones posted:

Cardinals are the dicks of the backyard.

Blue Jays are just as bad, if not worse.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

EPICAC posted:

We saw this guy fly over, and followed him to the nearest water.

Great Blue Heron by EPICAC, on Flickr

Here's mine from yesterday! A much much worse shot because of lens zoom limitations, but none the less. We actually saw two separate ones that day. My fiance had never actually seen a herron and she exclaimed. "Whats that!?"

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Here's mine from yesterday! A much much worse shot because of lens zoom limitations, but none the less. We actually saw two separate ones that day. My fiance had never actually seen a herron and she exclaimed. "Whats that!?"

I was surprised at how big they are up close. I'd seen them before, but from a distance. This one was maybe 20 feet from us when it flew over, and 100 feet away when I was taking pictures, and being that close really drove home how big they are.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

'merica.

bald eagle by philip painter, on Flickr

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Hell of an eagle shot. There was a good sized hawk circling outside my window at work yesterday...brought my camera today and he's nowhere to be seen. :(

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cru Jones posted:

There was a good sized hawk circling outside my window at work yesterday...brought my camera today and he's nowhere to be seen. :(

This is a classic example of Photographer's Law.

Edit: BIRD!

I had this identified in critter quest a year or two ago. A juvenile Coopers Hawk?

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 16, 2013

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Here are some more hawks, both dirty-cheating-captivity pictures. The top one is an education bird that travels to schools! :911:

Redtail by Icybacon, on Flickr

Swainson's Hawk by Icybacon, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Marshmallow Blue posted:

This is a classic example of Photographer's Law.

Edit: BIRD!

I had this identified in critter quest a year or two ago. A juvenile Coopers Hawk?

Looks like an american kestrel.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Cru Jones posted:

Hell of an eagle shot. There was a good sized hawk circling outside my window at work yesterday...brought my camera today and he's nowhere to be seen. :(

It was in a cage at a rescue. :negative:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

smallmouth posted:

It was in a cage at a rescue. :negative:

It's still a beautiful shot. Same with Apenglow's. Raptors don't stop being awesome in captivity.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I hope I never get tired of Black-throated Sparrows

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

At first I thought this was a sick Scaled Quail, but now I think it was just sleepy. :3: I came back the next day and it was gone - no predator tracks around either.

Blue Grosbeaks are wonderful.

Am I right assuming this is a juvenile Canyon Wren because of the tan color at the edge of it's beak? Sure was inquisitive.

This Redtail (?) was having a bad time of it. I believe that's some sort of pissed-off kingbird harassing it.

Bad lighting, but I never get to see cardinals so I was happy.

Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Ctr. by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

This is already too many pictures, but Shrike!

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 17, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chipping Sparrow by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Blue Heron by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Red Breasted Grosbeak by g.hetzel, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Life bird for me (not exactly an achievement when you only have 100 or so in your list)

Marbled Godwit

Ghost Cactus posted:

This Redtail (?) was having a bad time of it. I believe that's some sort of pissed-off kingbird harassing it.

Bad lighting, but I never get to see cardinals so I was happy.

Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Ctr. by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr
If I learned anything from my experiences watching raptors it's that I wouldn't ever want to come back as one when I die. Pretty much every bird in the area will harass them non-stop.

As for that cardinal shot, time to put the effort into editing because that's a pretty great shot ignoring the lighting. I bet with a bit of work you could really make that bird pop out of the picture.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Life bird for me (not exactly an achievement when you only have 100 or so in your list)

Marbled Godwit

If I learned anything from my experiences watching raptors it's that I wouldn't ever want to come back as one when I die. Pretty much every bird in the area will harass them non-stop.

As for that cardinal shot, time to put the effort into editing because that's a pretty great shot ignoring the lighting. I bet with a bit of work you could really make that bird pop out of the picture.

I've never seen a Godwit, so that's neat! Also your picture rocks.

Thanks for the note about the cardinal shot - I tend to be really lazy with editing. Time to get Lightroom, I guess.

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 21, 2013

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

Marbled Godwit

I've seen a lot of Godwit photos in my life, but that one is unique. I assumed it was a Wilson's Snipe at first just based on the fact that it was landing on a post. When I looked up their breeding territory to try to figure out why they weren't regular visitors in Puget Sound I was quite surprised to see central Canada rather than the usual Alaska or northern coast of Canada that most shorebirds migrate to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

Marbled Godwit

God drat dude, well done. :golfclap:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
These terns were fun.

DSC_9046.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_9059.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_9018.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Marbled Godwit

Yeah, this is great.

scottch posted:

These terns were fun.

These are all really successful. Good job. I like it when bird photos include some of their surroundings for context/composition.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Ghost Cactus posted:

My wife and I went to a PYO farm last weekend, and while she was picking raspberries I was watching a Red-Tailed Hawk get mercilessly harassed by what I think was a Barn Swallow.

InternetJunky posted:

Marbled Godwit

Chiming in to say that this is a great shot

scottch posted:

These terns were fun.

Nice photos. Common Terns?

Taken last weekend. I think that's a Barn Swallow harassing the Red-Tailed.

Red-Tailed Hawk & Barn Swallow by EPICAC, on Flickr

Red-Tailed Hawk & Barn Swallow by EPICAC, on Flickr

The only bird shot from this weekend that turned out. It's not a terribly exciting species, but I like the way the rust colored patch shows up.

Gray Catbird by EPICAC, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

EPICAC posted:

Nice photos. Common Terns?

Yeah, I think you're right. We get quite a few arctic terns around too, so had assumed these were as well, but the black-tipped, orangey bill seems to ID it as common.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

scottch posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. We get quite a few arctic terns around too, so had assumed these were as well, but the black-tipped, orangey bill seems to ID it as common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzwv057GPs

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Birds.

Robin by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Goldfinches by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Whooping Crane by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Whooping Crane by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Rough-legged Hawk by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I had never used a DSLR until I borrowed a D3100 a few weeks ago. Although I didn't intend it, I find that the majority of my photographs are of birds.

Starling by beigefifteen, on Flickr

Seagull Glance by beigefifteen, on Flickr

The first bird is a juvenile starling, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

That looks like a pretty good guess to me.