Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WarLocke posted:

So since this Sage is the first character I've gotten to the level cap, gearing question: How quickly can you move on to Basic+ stuff? Should I get myself a full set of Makeb mods first, or would it be more efficient to spend those comms on mods for my companions in the expectation that I'd move on to better ones pretty quickly?

If you're going to do 55 hard modes, you'll want to be in at LEAST Makeb commendation gear if you don't have the classic comms for Campaign. After that the basic comes pretty quick, but you'll be hurting if you're not in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I kind of wish you could have Sith tattoos as a Republic Jedi. Just to annoy the roleplayers with your 'reformed Sith' sob story.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

WarLocke posted:

So since this Sage is the first character I've gotten to the level cap, gearing question: How quickly can you move on to Basic+ stuff? Should I get myself a full set of Makeb mods first, or would it be more efficient to spend those comms on mods for my companions in the expectation that I'd move on to better ones pretty quickly?
Get mostly 66s, then do HM FPs as a DPS. This will get you 69s and comms for 69s, and also 12 Ultimate comms if you do the weekly which is run 3 FPs. Once you have a mix of 66s and 69s, you can probably go heal spec if you want, but you should have at least all 66s before doing so because HM FPs are all about the healer and tank and because you probably don't want to have a bad time.

Running Ops is a good way to get 69s, too (plus increase your amount of Ult comms), but you'd need full 66s at least for SM Ops (or people willing to carry you), and then 69s for HM Ops (because people won't carry you at this point).

quote:

e: Also I tried respecing to Sage DPS but ugh, it just doesn't click for me. I just went back to Disruption/Project/Weaken Mind/Forcequake spam with a healing build. :negative:
DPS is the easiest thing to pull off early in HM FPs because, as it has been said before, they're mainly about the heals and tanks. Sage DPS (mid tree) is pretty high right now (and pretty easy, too, so long as you know the priorities) so go ahead and spec that until you have the gear to do healing. Because doing DPS on a heal tree without good gear is two strikes against you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ThreeSixXero posted:

Get mostly 66s, then do HM FPs as a DPS.

I haven't actually touched FPs (or WZs for that matter) since my early 30s. I've just been doing the PvE story content. I'm about 50k shy of 55 right now on Ilum. I figure with Makeb and all the bonus series to go back and do I can get a pretty good kit of 58s at least, maybe some Basic or Classic stuff mixed in. End-game gearing i still a little confusing. Thanks for the advice re: going into FPs/Ops as DPS so I don't make everyone's day lovely though.

e: And I was trying DPS with the right tree, the bonus DOT damage, no cooldown TK Throw, etc. Gonna have to look at the middle tree...

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

WarLocke posted:

I kind of wish you could have Sith tattoos as a Republic Jedi. Just to annoy the roleplayers with your 'reformed Sith' sob story.

Twi'leks can. Also, unlock Sith Pureblood and Chiss for true awesome Republic time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet died halfway through the raid. :( Hopefully that didn't screw things up too much.

Kuri
Jun 26, 2009

Psyker posted:

Twi'leks can. Also, unlock Sith Pureblood and Chiss for true awesome Republic time.

Rattataki also seem to annoy the piss out of some Republic players, especially if they're Jedi.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Psyker posted:

As someone who knows a great many of this type of sperg, roll a Pureblood Trooper. It never fails.

Pex-Corrh
Oct 15, 2011

That thing, you have, I need it.

Warmachine posted:

As someone who knows a great many of this type of sperg, roll a Pureblood Trooper. It never fails.

My Pureblood Trooper is level 20 on Taris and I haven't had a single tell or started a spergfest in chat. I am disappointed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pex-Corrh posted:

My Pureblood Trooper is level 20 on Taris and I haven't had a single tell or started a spergfest in chat. I am disappointed.
Well, can they see your pretty sith head through your pretty trooper helmet?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ughhh why did my quickbars just disappear? Is it because of the update or because I dropped from subscriber status to free2play?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

Well, can they see your pretty sith head through your pretty trooper helmet?

Remember, real heroes don't wear helmets. Or shirts.

You may also need to roll on an RP server. At that point it's like dynamite fishing.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Ramadu posted:

Ughhh why did my quickbars just disappear? Is it because of the update or because I dropped from subscriber status to free2play?

Yeah you have to purchase the quickbars with cartel coins. It's horse poo poo. You pretty much have to subscribe to have all those sorts of "optional features".

Question:

Is there even one single Consular helmet/hat that doesn't look absolutely mind numbingly awful? :smithicide:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Yeah you have to purchase the quickbars with cartel coins. It's horse poo poo. You pretty much have to subscribe to have all those sorts of "optional features".

Question:

Is there even one single Consular helmet/hat that doesn't look absolutely mind numbingly awful? :smithicide:

There's a circlet for sale on Nar Shadda I think. But most of them are hats fitting for space priests.

On the note of favorite class stories, Inquisitor just moved up to number 2, right below Agent. Female Sorcs deliver the best lines.

"I've been waiting a long time to meet these [Dark Council] Sith. I hope they're worth my time." :smug:

Hat Edit: Of course, my Sage is a Miraluka, so I mostly just hid the hat in favor of my blindfold.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 11, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Question:

There's a pretty neat headband that you can get from one of the planetary heroics I think? On my Inquis I ended up just buying a marauder statted item (one of those ventilation masks) and replacing the mods, because wow those hats are bad.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I love being a total rear end in a top hat to Alric on my Chiss trooper. There are so many opportunities for gratuitous meanness. :allears:

Maybe I should roll a pureblood knight or consular one day on an rp server. Obviously picking every LS option to be the most goodie jedi ever.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

WarLocke posted:

I haven't actually touched FPs (or WZs for that matter) since my early 30s. I've just been doing the PvE story content. I'm about 50k shy of 55 right now on Ilum. I figure with Makeb and all the bonus series to go back and do I can get a pretty good kit of 58s at least, maybe some Basic or Classic stuff mixed in. End-game gearing i still a little confusing. Thanks for the advice re: going into FPs/Ops as DPS so I don't make everyone's day lovely though.

e: And I was trying DPS with the right tree, the bonus DOT damage, no cooldown TK Throw, etc. Gonna have to look at the middle tree...

Find yourself a crafting buddy - crafters can make you a full set of 66s, equivalent to basic gear, with regular purple recipes. Save your basic comms for artifact schems or isotope 5 for 72 gear. IIRC you're on a server with at least some goons, this shouldn't be too hard. If you were on the Shadowlands you could look me up but no one is on the Shadowlands.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

thegodofchuck posted:

Find yourself a crafting buddy - crafters can make you a full set of 66s, equivalent to basic gear, with regular purple recipes. Save your basic comms for artifact schems or isotope 5 for 72 gear. IIRC you're on a server with at least some goons, this shouldn't be too hard. If you were on the Shadowlands you could look me up but no one is on the Shadowlands.

I'm on the Shadowlands but haven't been on much lately. Post your username and next time I'm on I'll fire a Friend. Or you can do me...

Pijley
Pijley-Mosten
Pijley-Day

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I've got a male Jedi Shadow about level 23 or 24 right now. With everyone talking about how much better the female VA is, and my newfound fondness for healing (I have an Operative at 25 that I've levelled almost exclusively via Warfronts and Flashpoints), I'm thinking about rerolling a female and going Sage. It would be repetitive, at least at first, but it would be a case of cutting my losses and having a more enjoyable experience overall; Has anyone done something like this before, would you recommend it?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

WarLocke posted:

e: Also I tried respecing to Sage DPS but ugh, it just doesn't click for me. I just went back to Disruption/Project/Weaken Mind/Forcequake spam with a healing build. :negative:

Very quickly. I found Basic Comms to be for people that weren't skilled enough to complete HM FPs at 55 (not to say that there's anything wrong with that) They give decent gear but take for-e-ver to grind out. My advice? Try to get in on an Op or two, use the gear you get from that and that should be enough to make you viable for 55 HM.

Companion talk: Theran would have never set foot aboard my ship with his creepy holo-girlfriend. I would have laughed him out of the hangar bay. There are about 100,000 SIS slicers as good as he is that aren't womanizing aspiring mad scientists. Iresso is a Good Soldier, but I would have no use for him as a Jedi. Zenith I can see because he's actually especially good at his job.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Simon Draskovic posted:

I've got a male Jedi Shadow about level 23 or 24 right now. With everyone talking about how much better the female VA is, and my newfound fondness for healing (I have an Operative at 25 that I've levelled almost exclusively via Warfronts and Flashpoints), I'm thinking about rerolling a female and going Sage. It would be repetitive, at least at first, but it would be a case of cutting my losses and having a more enjoyable experience overall; Has anyone done something like this before, would you recommend it?
This is what I did at the very beginning of the game. (Second day of pre-launch.) Cut your losses now and do what you enjoy. It'll make you happy later.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Question:

My inquisitor picked up this beauty on the TNG raid last night:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Red Crown posted:

Companion talk: Theran would have never set foot aboard my ship with his creepy holo-girlfriend. I would have laughed him out of the hangar bay. There are about 100,000 SIS slicers as good as he is that aren't womanizing aspiring mad scientists. Iresso is a Good Soldier, but I would have no use for him as a Jedi. Zenith I can see because he's actually especially good at his job.

With all the companion talk, I'm surprised no one said anything about Corso. So far I've found he's a horrible companion and I'd be happy to not even have him on my smuggler's ship or just skip straight to getting Bowdaar. I don't know how Corso is with a male smuggler beyond what's going on in the Republic side LP, but for my female smuggler I do want to drop kick him out an airlock. As a tank, he's been worthless much the same as I've found Kaliyo. My first smuggler I ended up having to delete her since apparently with his coding, if you do so much as one flirt even with shooting him down every other time, he flags as being romanced and doesn't stop. My second smuggler I made Sith Pureblood just to be able to slap him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Red Crown posted:

Very quickly. I found Basic Comms to be for people that weren't skilled enough to complete HM FPs at 55 (not to say that there's anything wrong with that) They give decent gear but take for-e-ver to grind out. My advice? Try to get in on an Op or two, use the gear you get from that and that should be enough to make you viable for 55 HM.

I dunno, Having Tharan be bossed around by his holo girlfriend was hilarious and worth the price of admission to me. Seriously, Every time he hits on you or anyone else just tell Holiday.

Plus if you make him do the hard work himself he legitimately does become a better person.

What use does a Light side Jedi have with an assassin, like Zenith?

Iresso was great at his job, He got most of the commendations you could get from a superior officer. He just never got promoted because of his past.

Having a Highly Decorated Republic Trooper, who isn't a dick is much more useful as a diplomat than having an assassin on retainer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But Zenith becomes a politician?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I bought two of the new Cartel packs last night, and both had a "mission unlock cube" in them. I don't want to click them because I'm not sure what they are yet, anyone have any idea? Crafting mission? Or some sort of XP mission?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

I bought two of the new Cartel packs last night, and both had a "mission unlock cube" in them. I don't want to click them because I'm not sure what they are yet, anyone have any idea? Crafting mission? Or some sort of XP mission?

Short little mission that lets you choose from some XP boosts.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That was great to see so many people online last night! We managed to run a couple of 16-mans with only a couple of pugs. Hopefully everybody had fun and our new folks got a good idea of how some of the raid mechanics work. I'm sure we'll be running more story mode ops to get people geared and up to speed, but composition wise we're in a good position to move to hard modes. It'll be neat to have Place getting mad at us for screwing up different mechanics for a change.

Republic side, we've gotten guild ranks straightened out so that I can now promote people to a rank that can invite. If you're already in the guild and mostly play Republic, let me know either here or via in-game mail to Oedwin. I can change ranks even if you're not logged in, so I can handle that later tonight. If you're not in the guild yet but want to be, just keep an eye out. There will be more inviters soon.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

But Zenith becomes a politician?

Not by choice, though. Tai basically says "Hey dude, you were great while we were fighting, but I don't want you anywhere near a peace-time Balmorra" and foists him off on the PC by making him the Balmorran 'liason' to the Rift Alliance.

Also, once you've done the story content on Ilum (up through liberating the temple from Darth Arho and then getting the quest to do the Battle of Ilum FP) is that it for 'vanilla' story content? Next step is Makeb?

e: I'm Sadona in-game and I pretty much stick to Republic side now. I wouldn't mind invite rank since I seem to catch a lot of goons asking about it anyway.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Annakie posted:

<--- See this guy in my avatar? That's Aric Jorgan's VA, who I've loved on Psych (where the picture/quote is from) for many years longer than SWTOR has been out. Plus I'm a sucker for hard-nosed by the book characters. :)

I also like Aric. In fact, I've used him exclusively with my DPS commando while leveling. It may be partially based on the fact that he's head trooper carlton lassiter to me, but I'm fine with that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Annakie posted:

My inquisitor picked up this beauty on the TNG raid last night:

I'm so jealous of Assassins/Sorcerers. Consular 69 gear makes you look like Shredder, and the 72 gear makes you look like a Grand Wizard. It's mind-bogglingly stupid.

You know, I'm actually pretty unhappy with most of the Republic armor. The Knight stuff looks okay, but just okay. The Consular stuff is garbage, the Smuggler stuff is okay, and the 69/72 trooper stuff is...not that great. The helmets are good, but the rest of the armor set is unimpressive and not that different from the normal gear you've always had. I've never seen a guy on the Pub side and said, "Wow, he's wearing something really cool." that was endgame armor. Well, except for the Rakata Trooper gear, because that's pretty sweet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Red Crown posted:

You know, I'm actually pretty unhappy with most of the Republic armor. ... The Consular stuff is garbage...

In three more legacy levels I'm switching to Consular's Exalted gear and never looking back. :c00l:

e: Hot drat I should give Smuggler a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1i1OVFCr8Q

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 11, 2013

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!

WarLocke posted:

In three more legacy levels I'm switching to Consular's Exalted gear and never looking back. :c00l:

I transferred a lower level alt over to JC from my main server just so I could have Legacy Level 20 and be able to buy the Agent's Exalted gear on Dromond Kass. I will never wear another set of armor on this character EVER. I'm actually only using the Jacket and Pants atm, however I may still shell out for the Exalted Belt (it has a pretty decent skin). I really like the look of the Frogdog Away Team Boots and Gloves with the Exalted jacket and pants and I use a Green Scanner for my head slot item.

All he needs now is a cool dye pack to use with it eventually.

http://tor-fashion.com/2012/06/25/agent-exalted/

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

WarLocke posted:

e: Hot drat I should give Smuggler a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1i1OVFCr8Q

Sigh I was hoping about being able to transfer my 41 scoundrel but since bioware does not want to let me buy coins... I might just re-roll.

Does anyone have any thoughts about male/female VA ?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Male gets to bang his problems away way more often.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
For the smuggler? The female VA seems so off. It never matches what I feel like my character would sound like.

Holy. poo poo.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 11, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Agraya posted:

For the smuggler? The female VA seems so off. It never matches what I feel like my character would sound like.

I like her but she feels so dispassionately sarcastic up until she whines accusingly at someone.

I was going to complain about the male vs female body type 4 design, but eh. It's just weird that the female type 4 is curvy and sexy while the male 4 is a giant wall of muscle.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Fathis Munk posted:

Sigh I was hoping about being able to transfer my 41 scoundrel but since bioware does not want to let me buy coins... I might just re-roll.

Does anyone have any thoughts about male/female VA ?

Can always get them from Amazon or a physical retailer and get a pet (the wal-mart one is cool):
http://tinyurl.com/nbgqkjt

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Agraya posted:

Holy. poo poo.

I went back and watched the first part of that video, and now I need to know where that one security droid that goes "Happy Birthday to me" is :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Great, now I have food all over my screen. "Oh you" got me I rolled the wrong class.

parasyte posted:

I like her but she feels so dispassionately sarcastic up until she whines accusingly at someone.

I was going to complain about the male vs female body type 4 design, but eh. It's just weird that the female type 4 is curvy and sexy while the male 4 is a giant wall of muscle.

I changed my Female Trooper from body type 2 (video game normal, AKA 9.5/10) to body type 3 (Amazon woman warrior) and haven't looked back.

• Locked thread