Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well if you make finishing the single criminally easy then you could call that a double leg defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I dunno, maybe those defenses work irl. I know that everytime someone slaps me a hundred times to the face my feelings get hurt and I tear up and usually want to lie down.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The greatest thing about it is that the "well it would work against an untrained attacker" explanation doesn't even apply, since anyone who doesn't wrestle isn't going to be shooting doubles and singles on you in a fight.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Mginaction.com is also a pretty great resource. Even if you don't feel like you're retaining everything it seeps in at an Edgar Cayce level. (Also n'thing BJJ university which is my goto bathroom reading. I've kind of gotten sick of Kestings stuff lately just because he's nonstop trying to sell poo poo, but he's got some good content)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The greatest thing about it is that the "well it would work against an untrained attacker" explanation doesn't even apply, since anyone who doesn't wrestle isn't going to be shooting doubles and singles on you in a fight.

fun story: my friend doesn't know how to fight at all but he likes the UFC and gets the idea. He got jumped by a dude and did some kind of takedown, probably a trip lean or god knows what. He got on top of the guy and hit him a few times then the guy squirmed out and ran off. He said the dude froze up when he went for his legs and went right over like a board.

So there you have it, in 2013 even untrained dudes understand WWF (wrestling wins fights).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

fun story: my friend doesn't know how to fight at all but he likes the UFC and gets the idea. He got jumped by a dude and did some kind of takedown, probably a trip lean or god knows what. He got on top of the guy and hit him a few times then the guy squirmed out and ran off. He said the dude froze up when he went for his legs and went right over like a board.

So there you have it, in 2013 even untrained dudes understand WWF (wrestling wins fights).

Real talk, shooting on people who have no concept of sprawling or takedown defense is really fun/funny. Also all my friends hate me.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Real talk, shooting on people who have no concept of sprawling or takedown defense is really fun/funny. Also all my friends hate me.

Follow it up with a heel hook until their ligaments explode, try to time your shout of "OWNED" so you have perfect two-part harmony with their knee popping. Every time your buddy reaches for his crutches he'll think "Oh, that Mechafunkzilla" with a wry smile.

I forget who in PSP said it, but any wrestling practice where you don't feel like you're about to die is a bad practice. Last night's practice was very, very good.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually "lovely tackles" are the untrained technique of choice in beer-fueled barfights in this and many other areas.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I forget who in PSP said it, but any wrestling practice where you don't feel like you're about to die is a bad practice.

Thoguh.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

fatherdog posted:

Actually "lovely tackles" are the untrained technique of choice in beer-fueled barfights in this and many other areas.

I think over here it's the right hand haymaker seen from 150 miles away.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Hm. Do you live in Iowa?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

The bodylock into "we cool? we cool? we cool?" should be part of the blue belt test IMO.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

McNerd posted:

Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University is I think the most commonly recommended book for beginners, and for good reason. (I'm told his Jiu Jitsu Revolution DVD set is good too if you prefer that.) Stephan Kesting's videos (the guy that wrote that ebook) are generally full of good basic-level stuff too.

Really though just keep going to class and work on what they show there. Learning and retaining stuff from books/videos is a lot harder than you think, especially at first; if you watch a dozen videos they're mostly going to go in one ear and out the other. Similarly you're not really behind the people who watch a lot of MMA. They know like twenty or thirty terms you don't know, but that's nothing compared to the volumes of information you're going to be learning. And they don't actually know how to do any of that stuff just from seeing it on TV (unless they have a lot of prior grappling experience, like high school wrestling, in which case yes they have a bit of a leg up on you).

Yeah, thanks, just looking for a decent grounding. Everybody at the school was really cool and happy to teach and go over stuff but it's like drinking from a firehose, so anything I can do to ease that process along.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The bodylock into "we cool? we cool? we cool?" should be part of the blue belt test IMO.

Next level is saying "calm down bro" and "we cool?" while elbowing the guy in the face over and over again.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Yeah, thanks, just looking for a decent grounding. Everybody at the school was really cool and happy to teach and go over stuff but it's like drinking from a firehose, so anything I can do to ease that process along.

In the end only repetition will do that for you. Remember that you're new and it takes years of training to get to the point that you can reasonably expect to understand everything your instructor talks about.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey what do you call it when you're going for an armbar from side control on a guy who hasn't showered in a while

knee on smelly

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Here are two more High Quality Instructional Videos from that same channel:

This one is a Krav video featuring an Even Shittier Double Leg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLrxp459gc

This is another Wing Tsun video about how to deal with barbaric boxing thugs when they start a barfight with you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfCcpyqO4Io

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't understand, are those babby punches supposed to do anything other than annoy and distract me?

mewse
May 2, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is another Wing Tsun video about how to deal with barbaric boxing thugs when they start a barfight with you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfCcpyqO4Io

what is this poo poo. like a trained boxer has never had a punch parried before

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Wing chun is p4p the funniest martial art, i love when they play those vids in slow motion and you can see their hyperspeed flailing in HD detail

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

1st AD posted:

I don't understand, are those babby punches supposed to do anything other than annoy and distract me?

it looks like the gentle pattering of rain~

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Gi question: Shopping for mine now. How does this work? Do you guys just do one or two and wash em when they get funky? Do you do like a full week's worth and wash them every week? I'd like to avoid being The Smelly Guy and I sweat like a drat pig as it is, but I'd rather not drop a few hundy for a bunch if I don't need to.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Gi question: Shopping for mine now. How does this work? Do you guys just do one or two and wash em when they get funky? Do you do like a full week's worth and wash them every week? I'd like to avoid being The Smelly Guy and I sweat like a drat pig as it is, but I'd rather not drop a few hundy for a bunch if I don't need to.

You need to wash your gi every time you use it. How many gi's you need depends on how often you're going to train and how easy it is to do laundry. Also you can find some gi's(I think Fuji and HCK) for around 100 bucks and if you keep your eyes on bjjhq.com you can sometimes find them for closer to 80 bucks

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Full weeks worth is overkill, how often are you planning on training? Is your school all gi or some nogi? Just get one to start and wash it every class. If you have some extra money and are committed to training often (ie every day or close to it) get two and alternate days so you arent stressed for time washing and drying them, since they should be air dried. Some schools make people get a white gi and a blue gi and everyone has to wear the same color alternating every day, so at least you know people arent wearing the same nasty gi two days in a row even if they arent washing it. Thats a little coordinated but if you are dedicated to not being the smelly guy you could do something like that for yourself

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'll probably do 3-4 days a week. My school is pretty laid back on gis as long as they're white or blue.

There's some no-gi classes but the majority of the classes I'm doing will be gi.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

I'll probably do 3-4 days a week. My school is pretty laid back on gis as long as they're white or blue.

There's some no-gi classes but the majority of the classes I'm doing will be gi.

1 gi is fine to start unless doing laundry sucks for you or youre lazy and have extra money then get 2, one white and one blue

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Thanks, bros!

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
1 white, 1 blue is exactly what I did. BJJHQ has a special on Gameness gis running all the time, so you should be able to get one fairly cheap.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This isn't a takedown, this is the counter to a peasant trying to venerate your feet.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

manyak posted:

Full weeks worth is overkill, how often are you planning on training? Is your school all gi or some nogi? Just get one to start and wash it every class. If you have some extra money and are committed to training often (ie every day or close to it) get two and alternate days so you arent stressed for time washing and drying them, since they should be air dried.

Everyone says this, but nobody has two belts. I guess you all still do a load of laundry every time you come home from practice but it's just a bit better because the belt can easily be combined with a regular load of laundry?

Also I think I'm the only one in the world who doesn't have trouble with shrinkage when I tumble dry a gi on the lowest temperature setting? Maybe it depends on the dryer how cool "cool" is?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Here are two more High Quality Instructional Videos from that same channel:

I would loving love to see a wrestling instructional dvd from these guys where good wrestlers shoot excellent doubles on people using a other martial arts. It would be like watching someone use a video game cheat code.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McNerd posted:

Everyone says this, but nobody has two belts. I guess you all still do a load of laundry every time you come home from practice but it's just a bit better because the belt can easily be combined with a regular load of laundry?

Also I think I'm the only one in the world who doesn't have trouble with shrinkage when I tumble dry a gi on the lowest temperature setting? Maybe it depends on the dryer how cool "cool" is?

I never wash my belt. I don't know anyone who does.

My gi doesn't seem to shrink in the wash either but I think that's because I dry everything on cool. I wish it would shrink a bit because it's a little big on me... maybe I just need to work out more to fill it out.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Wash your belt you gross slobs.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Here's an excellent interview with a microbiologist who did her dissertation on MRSA, about jiu jitsu. There's a lot of other good information in here so if you haven't seen this already you should read it, even if you already wash your belt (or even if you already know you're too stubborn to ever be convinced to wash your belt).

Incidentally most people who don't wash their belt seem to not wash it because of this popular story that it's an old tradition. Supposedly the old masters would let their belts get progressively more disgusting until they turned black, and this is the origin of the "black belt." This is widely considered a myth; certainly it's not something they do in Japan, according to any account I've heard from anyone who has ever trained in any sort of gi there.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

McNerd posted:

I wash my judo gi in hot water and dry it on high, and it stopped shrinking after one or two cycles. I also wash it after every practice because I only have one. It's a single weave though, I've seen some people say that double weaves shrink more. I didn't mind a little shrinkage though because it was probably a half- to a full-size too big on me to begin with.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Had a demoralizing training moment at our gym's boxing class. So when I first started taking the boxing courses, I was really exaggerating twisting my torso when throwing punches. The coach showed me to use less of a swaying, torquing motion and keep my body squared up with my opponent. Well, another instructor pointed out that when we're drilling combos, I'm tending to do each punch individually instead of having each punch flow into the next.

I realized that was because I was too busy concentrating on keeping my torso straight up and that I maybe needed to add a little bit more rotation with my torso to let the punches flow from one into the next. I guess in doing so, I might've reverted back to my old way of swaying and rotating too much because I got this little gem:

:bang: (In thick Russian accent, semi-broken english): Why are you doing this [swaying]? When ever we done it this way? We never done it this way! Why do you do this? What is this, your third day here?

:smith: No, um, it isn't (I've been taking his class for a good 1 1/2 months now. Ouch!).

:bang: Then why you do this? You should know not to do this by now! Here, do this... *shows me the technique*

It's funny though, our coach pushes us hard, rips us a new one if we do dumb things (TBH, I really should've known better with the whole torso bit), doesn't say a word if you're doing things well, and I wouldn't want it any other way. In any other scenario, I would've either gotten pissed or gotten my feelings hurt. But here, this kind of criticism makes me push harder to really nail these techniques down.

Oh, and in MT class that same night, I was having issues with straight up hitting my training partner. One of our recent drills was countering punches with slips and parries and following up with knees and elbows. One partner would throw a legit punch for the other partner to slip or parry. Well, problem is I'm not an aggressive person. I don't want to hurt people by nature. So I was throwing punches, but without realizing it, I was throwing slow, weak punches that weren't aimed at my partner's face. Ended up getting both the instructors and my partner yelling at me to actually hit my partner. My partner even had me purposefully hit him to get me used to the whole thing.

Getting that killer instinct is something that I'm hoping comes in time. Because right now, I'm too drat nice for this sport! :angel:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Dolemite posted:

Oh, and in MT class that same night, I was having issues with straight up hitting my training partner. One of our recent drills was countering punches with slips and parries and following up with knees and elbows. One partner would throw a legit punch for the other partner to slip or parry. Well, problem is I'm not an aggressive person. I don't want to hurt people by nature. So I was throwing punches, but without realizing it, I was throwing slow, weak punches that weren't aimed at my partner's face. Ended up getting both the instructors and my partner yelling at me to actually hit my partner. My partner even had me purposefully hit him to get me used to the whole thing.

Getting that killer instinct is something that I'm hoping comes in time. Because right now, I'm too drat nice for this sport! :angel:

Oh god, I know exactly what you mean. It took me a while to stop throwing pitiful noodly punches at people. I was fine when I was punching bags, but something in my brain just stopped me from going full power when there was a person on the other end. It's just like learning how to get hit, though, it takes a bit of getting used to, that's all. A few sparring sessions and you'll be wrapping their face around your fist no problem.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yuns posted:

I would loving love to see a wrestling instructional dvd from these guys where good wrestlers shoot excellent doubles on people using a other martial arts. It would be like watching someone use a video game cheat code.

watch UFC 1 through like 10 and you're pretty much getting that. If it were a video game Mark Coleman would have had an atari controller with a direction stick and a button labeled "shoot double".

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

Dolemite posted:

Try sticking to the same partner for a while, get to know and trust each other. When you spar, have him beat you to a pulp when you slip up. You'll become physically and emotionally braced for the level of force you are expected to reciprocate in your martial art. If you don't have innate aggression, the best way to pick it up is to copy a friend.

When I first learnt self-defense I had a similar problem. You aren't born with the aggression and intense violent feelings needed to hurt or kill someone who is trying to hurt you, it needs to be acquired. Trauma can give you tenacity and a will to fight, but the speed and level of brutality that you need to operate at must be instilled in you by someone who already has it.

In proper combatives one of the instincts you need to control is the body's flinch reaction. When you get hit, especially if the strike is one that can potentially injure you, the body tenses up, you want to shut your eyes and move away from the damage. Shutting down in combat is quick way to die. My mentor stopped a few sparring sessions when I flinched too much and was getting overwhelmed too easily, and had me stare at him while he slapped me around hard. I had to keep my eyes open, and think only on my enemy and his movements.

Mentally, I find that the first step to learning how to defend yourself is to not be afraid to die. You have to keep trying again and again while you get pulverized. The second step is to keep your eyes f***ing open while you get pulverized. Look your enemy in the eye when he is killing you. Then finally you might become fast enough to reciprocate, and kill your enemy while he is killing you.

On the technical side of things, fighting without constraints is very different from sports fighting although the mechanics are similar. I had my groin kicked in more times than I can count until I stop letting my teacher kick my groin in. On the offensive, you economize many of your moves to avoid telegraphing: you never tense up before throwing any kind of strike, if you generate torque you don't make it obvious unless you are doubling down on a strike you know that will hit. Precision against the human anatomy is emphasized, it only takes one good hit to bring down a man, and many of the vulnerable points on the body don't need to be hit very hard. (And in training, lighter, and off-angle blows are enough to ruin your day and knock you out without permanent injury.) On the defensive, absolutely nothing is allowed to get through; it's one hit, one kill when there are no constraints.

When I started sparring, it was in seven second rounds. No waiting for openings, no hesitation. A good way to visualize the speed needed in sparring it is to always assume your opponent has a gun. Take him out NOW or die. But what usually happens is that my teacher will assault me in a single exchange, or make me assault him, then kick my arse, and make me explain my mistakes, then rinse and repeat until I can't continue. In my first year I rarely lasted more than one or two exchanges because of imperfect defenses. After I could last thirty seconds or so, then I was taught how to strategize and how to break defenses. You become a good attacker by knowing defenses well, and you become a good defender by knowing offense well. The two will feed each other.

It took four years before I was able to survive attacks at combat speed for two full minutes and had a small chance of winning on the counter attack, and was able to force my teacher to disengage from my own offensives.

Other interesting things I learnt along the way are, how to track, how to use and care for knives, how to fight as a pair, how to fight handicapped or restrained, and fighting restrained to simulate multiple opponent engagements.

Both my teacher and I became military men who always believe in bringing tanks and sniper rifles to fist fights; and not being in danger in the first place, but close-combat is an amazing foundation from which you can build all other martial skills. Make your body a weapon, and make all other weapons an extension of your body.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I always thought I was a nice person too and the first time I got hit with a stiff jab I wanted to eat my opponent's children and praise Allah. However, the first time a dude got me with a nice body shot I wanted to go home and die, preferably quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

watch UFC 1 through like 10 and you're pretty much getting that. If it were a video game Mark Coleman would have had an atari controller with a direction stick and a button labeled "shoot double".

The absolute best part of UFCs 1-10 is watching everyone, every single fighter, fall back either on wrestling or boxing once the fight starts. Then Severn fights Beneteau and the future is now.

• Locked thread