Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Just traded 3/4 of my GPT to Attila to declare war on Isabella (They each are the only neighbours who have larger armies than me), watched their armies crash against each other (Their capital cities share borders, so the fight got really thick really fast), then declared war on Attila, breaking the GPT deal and swooped in to take his capital while Spanish trebuchets unwittingly covered my advance. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Edit: Never mind! :O

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 11, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Failboattootoot posted:

My game was complete poo poo for various reasons. For starters, I went piety. Logic being that I wanted a religion and building one off 1 city would be tough (this turned out to be an awful idea). Besides that, the only city states I bought that didn't end in DoW's relatively shortly were my first and my last one. The middle 2 all got dow'd and razed nearly immediately by civs I Was friendly with until the buyout and who went back to friendly once the war was over. It's also possible that I got shafted by the starting city placement because my trade routes didn't amount to much gold for quite a long time. In fact, not until I mounted a war of retribution against suleiman and puppeted his entire coast did I finally get access to routes with decent gold.

It is quite possible they are good, but so far my early game went like poo poo, and a friends early game as them in mplayer also went like poo poo. So until I see a good game with them I am just going to assume they suck early in general unless the stars align.

Try them on Tradition. My first game with them I went Liberty and it went pretty badly.

I think religion is now something you either go all-out on, playing a religious civ, going Piety from the start, or you just completely ignore it unless you get some kind of bonus that gives you a leg up (like a faith boost from a ruin that lets you get a faith-producing pantheon).

In my last game as Venice I did my usual half-assed effort at religion - do enough to get a couple of great prophets and found the best religion (tithe), then put out a few missionaries from time to time. Gandhi started next door, went MAXIMUM HINDU and converted the entire goddamn continent in like ten turns. If someone builds Borobodur there's no way you're recovering from that as a "casual" religious civ.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I went Portugal to try and run for Tourism when I noticed that Russia to the South of me had a GREAT starting area and no defenses. Took that out with a few archers, a warrior and a scout. Meet up with Polynesia next and noticed to same thing. Juicy starting zone with so little army.
Now I'm rocking 2 opposing capitals, Polynesia is still alive with a 2nd small city I let them keep, and going great.
Sweden capital will fall next for sniping Wonders from me and not building up a army to stop my Composite bowmen horde.

Funny how quickly game plans can change but enjoyed managing to take out a civ while dropping a settler by turn 40 :pervert:

getting poo poo done this time!!

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 11, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
11 more hours for us non-Americans, shame it'll be past midnight by then.

At least it'll be Friday after.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Kanfy posted:

11 more hours for us non-Americans, shame it'll be past midnight by then.

At least it'll be Friday after.

It really is awesome. I almost always follow a sort of the same building way to start off with and I can actually wing it and do quite well with the expansion. It is seriously leaps and bounds above Gods & Kings.

Hell I have NEVER tried war that early before or rushing a early settler but hell its working in this match.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tiny Chalupa posted:

sniping monuments from me

Fwuh?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Due to my early push for units to take some Caps when I tried to start building Wonders I would get within 1 to 2 turns of completing it and BAM! Someone else completes it. Very frustrating but I'll get em. Oh I'll get them all.......

doh: Just realized I wrote monuments when I meant wonders

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Due to my early push for units to take some Caps when I tried to start building Wonders I would get within 1 to 2 turns of completing it and BAM! Someone else completes it. Very frustrating but I'll get em. Oh I'll get them all.......

doh: Just realized I wrote monuments when I meant wonders

That feeling is the worst. In my last game I actually got wonder sniped on the turn it was supposed to appear (I used a great engineer the last turn)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I had an awesome start as Shoshone the other day - the middle of a desert with two rivers flowing past, a few food resources and cows/horses plus a bunch of desert hills including four with silver. I quit midway through because even a nerfed Petra was getting unfair.

In fact, it seems like the AI stagnates pretty hard in the mid game on King difficulty. I might have to bump it up to emperor and see how it goes. The early game is still challenging, especially with aggressive neighbours, and every once in a while there's a runaway civ, but for the most part other civs just aren't expanding enough.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Played Venice last night only to have one of the greatest opening spaces I could have ever wanted. Regular luxury setting yet I spawned right next to two gold and an ivory. Four spaces to the north next to a mountain range and a great lake was gems.

loving Venice.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm really starting to think that Rev3Games reviewer was right and this game urgently needs some balancing.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Will a Green Man Gaming purchase of BNW work if I'm non-US (Australia)? It costs almost twice as much on Steam over here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

snoremac posted:

Will a Green Man Gaming purchase of BNW work if I'm non-US (Australia)? It costs almost twice as much on Steam over here.

It's all Steamworks, so you should be just fine.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

do the impi retain their spear-chucking ability when upgraded?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

uh zip zoom posted:

do the impi retain their spear-chucking ability when upgraded?

I would assume not, considering it's not a promotion.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
How do the upgrades from the Zulu barracks work? After I built the building and build a melee unit I still only get the standard Heal/Shock/Drill paths.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Is bronze working revealing iron a feature of last week’s patch rather than Brave New World? Because my OS X version of the game still has iron revealed at ironworking.

I would like to know this too.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I'm slow to catch onto what needs to be done with a civ, even though I've gotten better with it as I've played more. I've reached the Industrial era as Venice in a multiplayer game where my buddy is playing the Shoshone. Here are my observations:

- I was really slow on the uptake, already discussed in the previous couple pages, that Venice isn't all about trade routes = gold. As soon as I restart the game again I'm going to allocate 4-5 trade routes just to ship hammers to Venice. That's the part about them that's truely broken is that their trade routes can give them a significant advantage in production in their capitol over other civs, not that their GPT is going to be higher (although it helps when you can outright buy things like factories and public schools for your whole empire.

- The Shoshone are stupidly powerful in the early game. Their ruin UA allowed my friend to rush and obtain almost every early wonder of worth. It was literally one after the other. I recall him getting pyramids as I was about 25% of the way through the Great Library and me thinking 'hey cool he went for masonry before writing I've got this in the bag' only to have him finish the Great Library 10 turns before me.

- The AI is hilariously adverse to war in this expansion. I'm neighbors with Elizabeth (in fact she is sandwhiched inbetween me and my friend) and in spite of getting reminders every 20 turns or so that she is plotting against me (this has been going on for 300 turns or so) she never commits. The only thing I can think of, considering that in the industrial era her military is both larger and maybe 2 eras more advanced in many cases, is that she won't go to war with either of us because we are the vast majority of her trade income, if not 100% of it. I'm convinced there would have been a war a couple of eras ago if this were just a G&K game.

- You have to be careful when sending food to a city to make sure that as it grows it can support the increased population. Early in the game I gave my second city a ton of food for growth and when I stopped it was starving because it's borders hadn't expanded enough to include enough food producing tiles. I eventually just had to let a citizen die to let it stabilize.

- I still don't really understand the details behind the tourism mechanics besides knowing that you need more tourism to increase influence over other civs. What I do know is that I'm so enthralled with the new culture mechanics that I haven't needed to declare war on anybody simply because I was getting bored. The new victory condition mechanics are pretty fun and it gives me something to do besides kill a civ to satisfy an itch.

- Turning ideologies into more like a cultural religion where you get to choose your tenents out of a set list is pretty amazing.

Overall, BNW is an amazing expansion and I've only scratched the surface. Game owns.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Either I'm rusty with this game or the game got harder. Does anyone know what the science penalty is for multiple cities? I'm usually a fair number of techs ahead of my opponents on Prince, but right now I'm like 1-2 techs behind. It's really strange and I feel like I'm doing something wrong, which I guess I am since I push for six or so cities early in the game (depending on how many distinct luxuries are available).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Attention EU goons: GMG is giving out BNW keys now. Got mine 20 minutes ago.

Can I preload BNW? Steam doesn't seem to do anything after I activated the key.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Platystemon posted:

Is bronze working revealing iron a feature of last week’s patch rather than Brave New World? Because my OS X version of the game still has iron revealed at ironworking.

It was a feature of that patch yes. I would not be surprised if they didn't include it in BNW because they assumed the patch would be out by release, but in doing so forgot to add it to the OSX version.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Holy hell raging barbarians :aaaaa:

I think they're still net beneficial to the player as the AI probably has a harder time coping with them.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Speedball posted:

I would like to know this too.

I'm pretty sure it's not. I played a G&K game just a few days ago where (I think) iron was revealed normally at iron working. Or maybe I was just blind and didn't see then iron until I expected to see it. :v:

I'm playing the PC version.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

teethgrinder posted:

Holy hell raging barbarians :aaaaa:

I think they're still net beneficial to the player as the AI probably has a harder time coping with them.

It makes the trade game interesting. As Venice, I had to build a fleet just to keep the fog of war off my trade routes (which is most of the world by reinessance), then have my scout->crossbowman go clear out all the camps in the world, Pompey-style.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

GrandpaPants posted:

Either I'm rusty with this game or the game got harder. Does anyone know what the science penalty is for multiple cities? I'm usually a fair number of techs ahead of my opponents on Prince, but right now I'm like 1-2 techs behind. It's really strange and I feel like I'm doing something wrong, which I guess I am since I push for six or so cities early in the game (depending on how many distinct luxuries are available).

It's 5% for every city you found/annex after the capital I believe

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Has anyone played much Indonesia? How do they do? Their UA seems interesting but kinda feels like it hinges on playing an islands map to make the most of.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has anyone played much Indonesia? How do they do? Their UA seems interesting but kinda feels like it hinges on playing an islands map to make the most of.

Well happiness bonuses are almost always good but yeah it's a map situational power.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Even on Continents or Pangaea you can find some islands off the main landmasses. It's basically "You can expand twice for free" if you meet the conditions.

Because of how trade routes work now, you'll have a few random followers of other religions even in your holy cities - but they won't be a threat to your religion, and the Indonesian UB lets you really take advantage of having the varied religions you'll have anyway if you focus on trade.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cowcatcher posted:

It's 5% for every city you found/annex after the capital I believe

That makes sense, but drat, they really do not want you to go wide do they? Has anyone gotten wide to work without crippling themselves in BNW?

Edit: That doesn't involve conquest/puppeting, I mean.

Edit 2: Both of the games I've started with Morocco have left me alone on my own continent :(

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 11, 2013

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Chiming in to say that Morocco is completely nuts. By the early-late game I was making 700-800 GPT, with 30,000 in the bank. I ran out of things to buy. :stare: The early game though is more limiting, but once you get a coastal city with oceanic routes, East India Company, a Caravansary, and whatever else boosts trade, you become an unstoppable juggernaut.

Granted, this was only on King difficulty. I wonder if I could do similar on Emperor.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
I had a series of really lovely bum starts that went nowhere and was feeling down on the whole expansion, but then I finally got a start that wasn't 90% jungle hills and was able to actually be competitive. Amusingly enough, I did a standard continents map, and 3 civs including myself ended up basically on our own islands. We were connected by shallow water, but separate.

The changes to late game are absolutely incredible. I used to just retire games when it was clear I had won because late game was just hammering the next turn button, now I think it's my favorite part. Rigging the congress, playing with art swapping and theme bonuses, managing diplomacy to boost your tourism, all of it is just so much fun.

My only complaint is that there is basically no way to get the AI to vote for you to be the host of the congress or world leader. I had been friends with Rome and Austria since the ancient era, we never had a dispute, and had no red text anywhere. They were Afraid of me because I had built nuclear weapons which apparently skyrockets your military power rating now, but they still would not vote for me, even when I was offering them mindblowing ransoms. Rome had happiness in the shitter and no money, but would not give up 4 measly votes for me for 3 luxuries, 1000 gold and 50gpt.

Siam was being such a fucker towards me in the congress that I actually ended up voting for Austria to lead, which she won because of my delegates and the apparent fact that the AI will never vote for anyone but themselves. So at least she proposed something other than banning my luxuries or embargoing my city states. I guess if you want to lead you have to build the wonder that gives you delegates or you're hosed.

Varjon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 11, 2013

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
Is their a hot key to stop the auto end turn?

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I used them for my first serious bnw game.

Looking at the minimap, that island to the west is all puppet cities. Soon as you take a city off your main continent you get the bonus resources. No need to annex. I also founded a 1 land tile ocean city, and took over a random citystate at somepoint on a 3rd continent to get pepper! Trading away was much harder than acquiring the bonus luxury resources as I was labeled a war monger by most everyone that game.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Terminally Bored posted:

Attention EU goons: GMG is giving out BNW keys now. Got mine 20 minutes ago.

Can I preload BNW? Steam doesn't seem to do anything after I activated the key.

I got mine, put it into Steam and it downloaded a 1.6mb patch of some sort but nothing more. I'm assuming it won't unlock for download until the time of international release.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Had an amazing game as Venice on King, first time I ever played a game where I didn't go MAXIMUM WIDE. Won a cultural victory quite handily in the early information age.

Is there any bloody way to set a caravan to AUTO-REPEAT DON'T BOTHER ME AGAIN? I feel like I spent a quarter of my game reselecting my twenty caravan routes, it was a pain in the rear end. Even more annoying, it doesn't default to having your previous route at the top or anything, instead it seems to reopen where you were scrolled in the list for your last caravan, and every time one needs to be reassigned you have to scroll up and down the list looking for the tiny white 'previous'.

It'd be nice to be able to rename them too, like call a caravan 'Venice Food #1'. Can you do that?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like the continents plus map algorythm is completely broken with the new exp pack. I've restarted 4 times now and theres been absolutely no city states anywhere near me

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

WYA posted:

I feel like the continents plus map algorythm is completely broken with the new exp pack. I've restarted 4 times now and theres been absolutely no city states anywhere near me

Yeah, I just started a Pangaea Plus map and, while I've uncovered at least 70% of the map and every other civ, there are zero city-states. We'll see if they're just scattered about on tiny islands once I hit Astronomy, but it's pretty aggravating.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is it possible to run out of great works? The last two great writers I've spawned can only 'write political treatise'. I have free writing slots in a bunch of my cities, but the option to create a great work of writing just isn't there- it's not even greyed out, the icon just isn't there, and it's severely hamstringing my ability to win a culture ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

WYA posted:

Continents Plus always places city states on separate small islands, and none on the main continents.

I assume Pangaea Plus does the same.

• Locked thread