Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I guess its a weird form of "love at first sight".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Baloogan posted:

I guess its a weird form of "love at first blight".

I think that is what you meant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's also a pretty clear example of the Internet helping people find others in their weird niche. It's just a very weird niche.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

So I saw this picture on tumblr, did someone illegally film the appearance?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It looks like they did it from the witness stand. :stare:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I've never been to a high-profile case like this, do they show the courtroom proceedings in the viewing rooms in the courthouse? I know you probably couldn't fit everyone into a single courtroom who wants to follow the case, so it would stand to reason that they would have a CCTV feed to another separate room. Maybe that's where this came from, but the person who took those pictures violated the court's ruling by taking pictures even if they weren't in the same room as the defendant.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Young Freud posted:

I've never been to a high-profile case like this, do they show the courtroom proceedings in the viewing rooms in the courthouse? I know you probably couldn't fit everyone into a single courtroom who wants to follow the case, so it would stand to reason that they would have a CCTV feed to another separate room. Maybe that's where this came from, but the person who took those pictures violated the court's ruling by taking pictures even if they weren't in the same room as the defendant.

That's what it looks like to me as well, but not sure if that's the actual case here.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Apparently those are screenshots from a 5 second video that was posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZRnfDgASME

At least we know what the deal is with the sock puppet Sloth drawing from the courtroom artist.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Crunch Bucket posted:

Apparently those are screenshots from a 5 second video that was posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZRnfDgASME

At least we know what the deal is with the sock puppet Sloth drawing from the courtroom artist.

Can we enhance that?

hybriseris
Sep 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

From my understanding, filming isn't allowed in federal cases/courts which is why crews weren't allowed in yesterday.

I'd really like to know what the deal is with those fuzzy pictures though because that's an interesting angle to see from...

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Nenonen posted:

Can we enhance that?

bogus!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

hybriseris posted:

From my understanding, filming isn't allowed in federal cases/courts which is why crews weren't allowed in yesterday.

I'd really like to know what the deal is with those fuzzy pictures though because that's an interesting angle to see from...

Didn't they have an overflow room with a TV for the victims who couldn't get a spot IN the courtroom? That looks like a shot of a TV showing such a broadcast. So maybe one of the victims leaked that?

Edit: I know that's sort of been said already, so that was more to verify that I do recall reading that there was an overflow room.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Phobophilia posted:

Or that American girl arrested in Italy (even though she probably didn't do it). I personally think it's an excuse to objectify someone (in its most literal form).

Amanda Knox.

Jodi Arias, too.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

The comments on that video ugh

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is there a reason they don't allow filming in federal court cases while they allow it in trials such as the George Zimmerman one? Also, is there even a reason to believe his court appointed attorney will put up more than a token gesture at defending him?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 11, 2013

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Do the FreeJahar people have any real reasoning behind their point or is it all just teenage idiots screaming into the ether? Like, what's the idea here, was he framed because of his background or are we into Alex Jones territory?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Agrajag posted:

Is there a reason they don't allow filming in federal court cases while they allow it in trials such as the George Zimmerman one?

Zimmerman is in State court and Florida allows open courtrooms. Federal ones don't. Although we do have access to transcripts I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agrajag posted:

Is there a reason they don't allow filming in federal court cases while they allow it in trials such as the George Zimmerman one? Also, is there even a reason to believe his court appointed attorney will put up more than a token gesture at defending him?

Federal defense attorneys don't put up "token defenses" but on the other hand the evidence against him is completely overwhelming so I'm not exactly sure what the defense can do other than try to avoid the death penalty.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

hobbesmaster posted:

Federal defense attorneys don't put up "token defenses" but on the other hand the evidence against him is completely overwhelming so I'm not exactly sure what the defense can do other than try to avoid the death penalty.

The prosecution probably isn't offering the common "plead guilty and you'll get life" because they have him so dead to rights. He's really got no choice but to plead not guilty to save his rear end.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they somehow different from normal attorneys?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Agrajag posted:

A larger reputation at stake.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Do the FreeJahar people have any real reasoning behind their point or is it all just teenage idiots screaming into the ether? Like, what's the idea here, was he framed because of his background or are we into Alex Jones territory?
Pretty sure the reasoning is literally "he's too hot to do that, so he couldn't have."

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

jim truds posted:

Yeah, this is pretty textbook stuff.People are weird and becoming romantically fixated on unobtainable people is common. Lots of famous lifers have fans.
I really don't understand people with "fallen angel" syndrome. One of Canada's most notorious killers, Paul Bernardo, receives a lot of love letters from outside of prison. And there was never a question of whether he was guilty or not- the sicko videotaped himself killing and mutilating his victims. The video was so messed up that many of the jurors and jurists who watched it in court needed therapy afterwards.

It makes you wonder if they're even aware of who they're writing to. It's hosed up.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 11, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agrajag posted:

In that they're employed by the federal government and go to court all the time instead of a private attorney that is either paid a flat rate by the state on a contract (no incentive to do anything but plead out because its not profitable) or is so incredibly expensive nobody can afford to take them to trial.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Agrajag posted:

Also, is there even a reason to believe his court appointed attorney will put up more than a token gesture at defending him?
Because this is real life and not TVTropes?

Judy Clark is as good as you'll find.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

joat mon posted:

Because this is real life and not TVTropes?

Judy Clark is as good as you'll find.

Jesus, the Free Jahar troupe can even be found in the comments for that article.

:swoon:Jahar:swoon: posted:

thank god for this women who can actually look past all dzhokhar felt he had to do because his brother wanted him too. all you people calling him a monster are wrong he is a person too along with his family he is only 19 and has his whole life in front of him if he has to spend life in prison its a very sad world he is much to gorgeous for that..tsarneav family stay strong not everyone hates your beautiful son

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fryhtaning posted:

Jesus, the Free Jahar troupe can even be found in the comments for that article.

"He is much too gorgeous for that" is a little to on the nose for me to think that's an honest comment but maybe that's just my own futile hope.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Agrajag posted:

Is there a reason they don't allow filming in federal court cases while they allow it in trials such as the George Zimmerman one?

I think Florida explicitely allows filming unlike a lot of other states. That's why their trials turn out to be such unbelievable spectacles.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

OldTennisCourt posted:

"He is much too gorgeous for that" is a little to on the nose for me to think that's an honest comment but maybe that's just my own futile hope.

You don't spend a lot of time reading comments on public websites, do you?

Judy Clarke, however, does spend a lot of time on getting her high-profile clients life instead of the death penalty. She's had some easy shots with that, like Jared Lee Loughner, because he was loving bonkers.

She's going to have a much harder time of things here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I dunno, "His brother was the real bad guy, poor Jahar was just afraid" or something along those lines is likely to avoid the death penalty.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Assuming Jahar was literally fearing for his life, he had multitudes of opportunities to get away and report to the authorities what Tamerlan was building/planning in the days leading up to and the day of the attack. Also being afraid for your own life is not allowed as a defense or justification for murder.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lets just stick to his proper name. The fact that his supporters affectionately refer to him as "Jahar" makes any other usage of the name just plain irritating.

I found a link on tumblr where one of his fangirls was openly mocking one the victims who had his legs blown off. Because she thought he was faking it. This poo poo gets pretty goddamn deep in the crazy trenches. When someone is fixated on their own version reality all else fails to break through.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

ClemenSalad posted:

Assuming Jahar was literally fearing for his life, he had multitudes of opportunities to get away and report to the authorities what Tamerlan was building/planning in the days leading up to and the day of the attack. Also being afraid for your own life is not allowed as a defense or justification for murder.

No, but it is a consideration during sentencing.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
He refers to himself as Jahar. As with most non-English names, there are multiple spellings and no "correct" way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Flopsy posted:

I found a link on tumblr where one of his fangirls was openly mocking one the victims who had his legs blown off. Because she thought he was faking it. This poo poo gets pretty goddamn deep in the crazy trenches. When someone is fixated on their own version reality all else fails to break through.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

ClemenSalad posted:

No, but it is a way to get your sentence reduced. Look at Terry Nichols.

And my honest opinion is that death is probably preferable to life without parole in a supermax, and based on the massive evidence the government seems to have here, those are the only two likely options of where he's going to end up. ADX Florence eats minds.

Also, Jahar is WAY easier to spell than the way that's got a d and a v and a k or whatever.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ClemenSalad posted:

I don't think you understood hobbesmaster.
No-one will argue in court anything like what you posted. Where Dzhokhar's age, his brother's influence, and lack of a criminal record will come into play is in the penalty phase of the trial. (And during the whether-or-not-to-pursue-the-death-penalty part of the case that is happening right now and will be resolved long before the trial takes place)

Maybe some background would help.
Assuming (1)the case goes to trial (2)as a death penalty case:

There will be a 'merits' stage of the trial, where guilt or not-guilty of the charged crimes is determined. The only issues in this part of the trial will be, "Did Dzhokhar do those specific illegal things that the indictment alleges that he did?" The prosecution will have to prove each underlying fact (element) of each charge to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt. Determining punishment is not be part of the the merit side of the case.

If he is found guilty, the case will move into the sentencing stage. The jury will be the same as for the merits stage. In this stage the prosecution will present additional evidence to support the death penalty. The defense will present evidence to support a life sentence. The prosecution will have to prove the existence of at least one 'aggravating circumstance' [subsection (c)] to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt to keep the death penalty on the table. (they will - there are at least 6 slam-dunk aggravators at play in this case) The defense will establish mitigating circumstances. Since the existence of aggravators beyond a reasonable doubt will be a foregone conclusion, the only hard decision the jury will have to make is whether to kill Dzhokhar or to keep him in prison the the rest of his life - probably at Florence, for a lifetime of cruel and unusual punishment.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Never before have I wanted to oval office punt someone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ClemenSalad posted:

No but I said avoid the death penalty, not be acquitted. Thats certainly the kind of thing that a jury will consider during a penalty phase. Its not like hes Timothy McVeigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

hobbesmaster posted:

No but I said avoid the death penalty, not be acquitted. Thats certainly the kind of thing that a jury will consider during a penalty phase. Its not like hes Timothy McVeigh.

Ah okay. I misunderstood. Thanks for the explanations guys.

• Locked thread