Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yes everyone should be grateful for their lovely part-time jobs and just rely on handouts from their parents. Going out to protest and try to change things is basically the worst thing you can do.

No, not at all. People shouldn't rely on lovely jobs and handouts from their parents, but they shouldn't expect handouts from taxpayers either. Also, is there evidence that nonviolent protesting works, at all?

First and foremost American universities are capitalistic entities. In high school the product is marketed to you. If it fails for you, you are responsible.
Companies like Pearson push standardized testing to the system, further profiting from it. It's questionable weather standardized testing is even a good process, weather it's a good way to measure learning.

Education and social benefits come second, by far.

Knowing this - You hosed up if you went to school and it didn't work. You bought some sweet sales talk. You made a bad purchasing decision.

You can protest, and raise awareness on how bad this system for society, but first, you need to fix your own situation and not expect a handout for your own decisions.

There are options - blue collar work, entry level white collar work, or, start your own business with your own idea. Nothing is easy.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Also, is there evidence that nonviolent protesting works, at all?

You may have heard of a dude named Gandhi.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

No, not at all. People shouldn't rely on lovely jobs and handouts from their parents, but they shouldn't expect handouts from taxpayers either. Also, is there evidence that nonviolent protesting works, at all?

First and foremost American universities are capitalistic entities. In high school the product is marketed to you. If it fails for you, you are responsible.
Companies like Pearson push standardized testing to the system, further profiting from it. It's questionable weather standardized testing is even a good process, weather it's a good way to measure learning.

Knowing this - You hosed up if you went to school and it didn't work. You bought some sweet sales talk. You made a bad purchasing decision.

You can protest, and raise awareness on how bad this system for society, but first, you need to fix your own situation and not expect a handout for your own decisions.

There are options - blue collar work, entry level white collar work, or, start your own business with your own idea. Nothing is easy.

Wow how dare literal children believe what they were told their entire life about how important college is and then went there with the promise of making a living wage then ended up in debt. Ha ha, those idiots! Anyway clearly people's life situations are purely down to their own decision making skills and have nothing to do with the corrupt capitalist society they are raised to believe in and bbaaaaaaarffffffff

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

WampaLord posted:

vs

It's not different at all, is it, Steve?
Didn't Gandi do stuff and things?
I didn't go to college so I don't know these things.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 11, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

WampaLord posted:

I think there was an implied "in recent memory" in that question. The sure as hell hasn't been a successful major nonviolent protest movement in the United States since the Civil Rights era. Thanks to constant erosion of constitutional rights the government can pretty much shut down any protest movement by requiring permits and refusing to issue them, arbitrarily establishing "free speech zones" that conveniently keep protesters on some weed-choked vacant lot on the outskirts of town and out of sight/mind, or simply cracking down on the protests with brute police force without justification when everything else fails - because most of the population couldn't care less and the rest are of the opinion that the police should be able to shoot protesters unless they're wearing tri-corner hats and pining for the days of being able to own people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

First off, there was no timeframe in his sweeping generalization.

So the message should be "Well, non-violent protesting doesn't work, suck it up?" or "Non-violent protesting doesn't work, viva la revolution!"

This is a derail, so I'll stop. Benny, I just want to say I was rooting for you in the beginning and I still am, but you have your priorities hosed up so bad and I really hope it's due to ADHD or something treatable. Make therapy your #1 priority, with #2 being the current job and #3 finding a better job.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

GidgetNomates posted:

Wow how dare literal children believe what they were told their entire life about how important college is and then went there with the promise of making a living wage then ended up in debt. Ha ha, those idiots! Anyway clearly people's life situations are purely down to their own decision making skills and have nothing to do with the corrupt capitalist society they are raised to believe in and bbaaaaaaarffffffff

No one in high school promised me or anyone I know that I'd make a living wage if I got a lovely useless degree in English Lit or History, in fact quiet the opposite. I was constantly encouraged to get a degree that will help me get a job. Even high school freshmen know that a degree in Sociology is a ticket to sandwich artistry.

An English Lit degree is straight up bad decision making, unless you want to be a teacher or maybe a copy editor or something.

This isn't the case of The Man getting someone down, it's a case of someone making lovely decisions and planning life poorly.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Arch Stanton posted:

No one in high school promised me or anyone I know that I'd make a living wage if I got a lovely useless degree in English Lit or History, in fact quiet the opposite. I was constantly encouraged to get a degree that will help me get a job. Even high school freshmen know that a degree in Sociology is a ticket to sandwich artistry.

An English Lit degree is straight up bad decision making, unless you want to be a teacher or maybe a copy editor or something.

This isn't the case of The Man getting someone down, it's a case of someone making lovely decisions and planning life poorly.
Unlivable minimum wages are, though, and are also why this one of the dumpier first world nations. It's literally a function of unequal influence betwen us and those to whom we're a resource cost.

Edit:

Wages being so lovely is contributing to the sagging aggregate demand which beleaguers the economy.

This net wage-income data from the Social Security Admin.:

50% of people who had jobs in 2011 took home ~$26k or less.

If someone in Benny's situation wants to go protest then good on them.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 12, 2013

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hey, can we get back to berating a semi functional adult into some sort of self sufficiency.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

BrainParasite posted:

Hey, can we get back to berating a semi functional adult into some sort of self sufficiency.

I just assumed he had a cart related "accident" that the coworker he screwed orchestrated. The perfect crime no one would investigate.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Do you know "weather" or not you got a good deal? Did you go to the same college as Benny?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Unlivable minimum wages are, though, and are also why this one of the dumpier first world nations. It's literally a function of unequal influence betwen us and those to whom we're a resource cost.

Edit:

Wages being so lovely is contributing to the sagging aggregate demand which beleaguers the economy.

This net wage-income data from the Social Security Admin.:

50% of people who had jobs in 2011 took home ~$26k or less.

If someone in Benny's situation wants to go protest then good on them.

Here's some data therefor your point is invalid?

If all that is true then maybe people should make better career decisions to be more competitive in the job market rather than getting a known-worthless degree in a field they obviously have no skills in which averages a pittance for pay.

Nope, better go protest instead.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Arch Stanton posted:

It qualifies the claim that there are low wages and also shows scale.

Ironically, you don't read so good.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Accretionist posted:

It qualifies the claim that there are low wages and also shows scale.

Ironically, you don't read so good.

That's all great info but I wasn't talking about overall low wages; I was talking about how English Lit, History, Gender Studies and some other degrees are so worthless in the workforce that high school freshmen make fun of them.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Arch Stanton posted:

If all that is true then maybe people should make better career decisions to be more competitive in the job market rather than getting a known-worthless degree in a field they obviously have no skills in which averages a pittance for pay.

Because your college counselor obviously gave you the advice to not get a college degree, and none of your friends or relations brought their outdated opinion of "college degrees were required when I was in college so you better get one too or else" to browbeat you with.

Is it really that out-there a thought to not blame the people who were sold on "go to college" since they were too young to vote? Or are you just going to err on the side of "Well, I'm not in debt so they're just stupid :smug:"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Arch Stanton posted:

As someone who has one and is making over $70k a year I would argue that it is a bad idea without a plan. What creeps me out was how many people in the major had no idea how they were going to sell it to employers as an asset. I imagine Benny was a lot like that. Just got the degree and figured he would figure out how to use it later.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Arch Stanton posted:

That's all great info but I wasn't talking about overall low wages; I was talking about how English Lit, History, Gender Studies and some other degrees are so worthless in the workforce that high school freshmen make fun of them.

Another English degree-holder here, as is my brother, and we've both worked steadily at decent-paying jobs not only in journalism and publishing, but in fields like corporate PR (bro made big $$$ doing that), university administration, and advertising. Oh, and tech writing and medical writing.

Agree, though, that you have to market yourself and hustle. Working on our colleges' daily newspapers was a big advantage for both of us, too, because it showed we could turn work around quickly.

Most of the people I knew who got history degrees went on to law school, but that gravy train has dried up.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
The point of getting any degree is to show your qualifications to employers (unless you plan on academia). You are in for a much rougher time if you spent 75 grand on a degree and you have dress it up and hustle.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ClemenSalad posted:

The point of getting any degree is to show your qualifications to employers (unless you plan on academia). You are in for a much rougher time if you spent 75 grand on a degree and you have dress it up and hustle.

There's a lot of fields where this is the only way in. It's also pretty much universally true if one wants to be promoted instead of just remaining at entry level. It's lot like a business degree will get you hired as a ceo right away, but that doesn't mean the degree is a wash.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
Benny wasn't intending to have to sell anything to an employer. He was gonna be a best selling author. You don't even need a degree to submit a manuscript to a publisher. You just need a great idea, talent, and lots of long nights banging away on a keyboard. His time would have been better spent in creative writing clinics and a self-taught reading list of classic English literature, working part time jobs the whole time. He could have been a store manager by now, spending his nights finishing his novel, with no debt to his name. The tragedy here is that ne never needed his degree to achieve his goal. It just needs focus and effort.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Arch Stanton posted:

Nope, better go protest instead.

Data is better than anecdote. Yes, it does invalidate your point.

And, as we all know, 18 year olds are known for their wonderful decision making skills and brilliant financial decisions. They're also able magically able to see well off into the future to know EXACTLY what will make them most "marketable" to a future boss.

At one time, law school basically guaranteed both future and high income employment. Now, it's only marginally more useful than an English Lit degree. Computer Science and programming are hot now...but who knows how they'll be in 2017?

I've said this in other threads and I'll say it again: My advice to an average 18 year old today would be that a bachelors degree today is what a High School diploma was 50 years ago. All it does is increase the chances of you getting a job with things like "sick days," "vacation time," and "health insurance." So, really, just get it in what you want to get it in, keep your debts to a minimum, and realize that you'll probably end up assistant managing a Bed Bath and Beyond or taking car insurance claims.

I don't blame people for protesting. I may not always agree with it or understand it, but there are far worse ways to spend your time.

Anyway, back to Benny: How did the psych eval go? And did you put in for the position with the city?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
CPK found someone else. However, I might have a better employment opportunity. Someone in the family needs their house renovated so I'm gonna approach them about hiring me. Also, I've been set up with a psych through the City of Chino and we're scheduled for next Tuesday.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

CPK found someone else. However, I might have a better employment opportunity. Someone in the family needs their house renovated so I'm gonna approach them about hiring me. Also, I've been set up with a psych through the City of Chino and we're scheduled for next Tuesday.

Please tell me you are better at constructing buildings than pushing carts.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If they're doing it themselves then there's a lot he'd just need a pair of hands for: hauling debris, painting large flat spaces, etc.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Don't quit Target to go renovate a family member's house. You need real legitimate employment history on your resume.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Accretionist posted:

If they're doing it themselves then there's a lot he'd just need a pair of hands for: hauling debris, painting large flat spaces, etc.

Does he have insurance for when he inevitably injures himself?

In all seriousness, unless you're expecting to get hired for small tasks like this at a pittance, they'll probably want someone who is licensed and bonded. Friends/family as vendors in stressful situations is just asking for trouble.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Please post pictures when you accidentally nail your hand to a loving wall.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Benny have you done any sort of renovations before? Its not that easy and you can't even pack a box properly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
One word. Sawzall.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MassaShowtime posted:

Benny have you done any sort of renovations before? Its not that easy and you can't even pack a box properly.

Watch as he starts arguing with a contractor about the safety of drilling through a piece of drywall without shutting the water off first or something.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MassaShowtime posted:

No, but by "renovations" I'm thinking mostly lawnwork. I do know that there are a couple of trees that need cutting down. My Dad's going to be contracted to do that, so I guess I'll just be shadowing him. And as angry as I am at him, I'm gonna follow every drat thing he tells me.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
No one in the history of anything has ever used "renovations" to describe lawn work or cutting down trees. That would more accurately fall under landscaping.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Benny please don't touch the chainsaw

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I was about to say that when I was in high school my friend's dad's friend was a general contractor and he routinely hired my friend and I to work under the table doing post-construction cleanup, demo and other odd jobs that you'd trust a teenager with on a jobsite...but then I remembered that I also pushed shopping carts when I was in high school and benny has already proven that he has a tenuous (at best) grasp on his ability to do that job as well. I'm going to join in on the "don't do it" sentiment.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

No, but by "renovations" I'm thinking mostly lawnwork. I do know that there are a couple of trees that need cutting down. My Dad's going to be contracted to do that, so I guess I'll just be shadowing him. And as angry as I am at him, I'm gonna follow every drat thing he tells me.

Do you even speak English? Or any Earth language? Your reasoning processes are pure Bizarro World.

Seriously, please promise us you're not quitting your Target gig to be your dad's helper on some indeterminate job for your cousin. Casual labor is not a step forward toward your goals.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Goddammit Benny you're gonna lose a hand.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Welp, time to go renovate the lawn. Maybe refurbish some shrubs while I'm at it. I'm going to ask for some help vivifying the cactus, though.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Why hasn't benny moved out of his house yet!?!? if hes found work theires no reason why he can not go out and by himself a used work van to stay in for a couple of months until he can really save up for some sort of apartment type gig. At this point I don't see how beny is saving any money, especially if hes paying rent and Bull poo poo to his parents

Benny since you seem to refuse to egnolige my proposal, maybe you should think about join the services. They will get you in shape with boot Camp and you will get a pention if I am not mistaken.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Can't ctrl+f on my phone, but has Benny mentioned the service? He hits a shrink then the Army doesn't take him. He doesn't get to wash potatoes for 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jizznastics posted:

Benny since you seem to refuse to egnolige my proposal, maybe you should think about join the services. They will get you in shape with boot Camp and you will get a pention if I am not mistaken.

Dude can barely manage pushing carts around. Do you really want him handling guns?

In any case, the military has waiting lists now (especially for officer's school). The market is such that the military can be extremely picky now.

• Locked thread