Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is "gooniest" supposed to mean, anyway? I've been around here a while and I still don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

What is "gooniest" supposed to mean, anyway? I've been around here a while and I still don't know.

Look in a mirror.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dog_Meat posted:

I can see how it can feel old after a while, but I actually find myself getting annoyed when Primarchs and the Emperor DON'T get written as almost mythical beings. Part of the lore for me is the fact that laying eyes on a primarch is a life changing experience. Grown men have wept in their presence, etc. I love the scenes in Nikea and Ulanor, where having so many primarchs around with the Emperor is a massive, galaxy shaking event.

There's that scene early in Horus Rising where Loken is advise to avoid looking into Horus' eyes when he meets him because he'll lose his concentration.

Fulgrim should be impossibly perfect, Horus should be regal and inspire loyalty, Kurze should reduce you to a quivering wreck, Sanguinious should make you question your sexuality and so on.

Then you get a book like Descent of Angels where The Lion is a big sulking lummox and a fourteen yearold boy is able to walk and talk with him like he's his football hero and not a god made flesh.
When Magnus goes astral in Thousand Suns he is described like some sort of fantastic light show. I've been to raves and fireworks displays. They're nothing special. Maybe he provokes epileptic fits in some people.

I mean, remember Q from Star Trek? He's supposed to be a fantastically advanced being beyond comprehension, but the filmmakers realized that they can't actually depict that properly, so they just got some doofus wine snob dressed in a Starfleet uniform.

Fantastic beyond comprehension? What does that even mean? I can't even imagine that. It's like a cue for me to fake awe. I just think back to that one time I visited the Himalayas and associate that sensation with the God-Emperor. It's the best I can do.

But even if they work, they are often introduced at the wrong time, breaking the flow of the story. I don't want to hear about how awesome Magnus is when he has just burst through the Webway. There are more interesting things afoot.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Look in a mirror.
Just how goony do you think I am?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

The gooniest

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Beyond comprehension

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Baron Bifford posted:

I just think back to that one time I visited the Himalayas and associate that sensation with the God-Emperor.

Pretty goony, clearly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dog_Meat posted:

In fact, I always wondered how exactly Angron could possibly be a gladiator? In After De'shea he recalls people asking him to let himself get at least cut, but how is having a primarch gladiator any more entertaining than throwing a baby to a lion? Throwing an entire legion of armoured, sword wielding soldiers at him should end up looking like a bloodier, more dismembery version of the "Are you not entertained?!" scene from Gladiator.

Actually, I think I just answered my own question
That was a pretty awesome scene.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

hopterque posted:

Pretty goony, clearly.
So, being goony means to be irreverent and a little cynical?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dog_Meat posted:

I can see how it can feel old after a while, but I actually find myself getting annoyed when Primarchs and the Emperor DON'T get written as almost mythical beings. Part of the lore for me is the fact that laying eyes on a primarch is a life changing experience. Grown men have wept in their presence, etc. I love the scenes in Nikea and Ulanor, where having so many primarchs around with the Emperor is a massive, galaxy shaking event.

There's that scene early in Horus Rising where Loken is advise to avoid looking into Horus' eyes when he meets him because he'll lose his concentration.

Fulgrim should be impossibly perfect, Horus should be regal and inspire loyalty, Kurze should reduce you to a quivering wreck, Sanguinious should make you question your sexuality and so on.

Then you get a book like Descent of Angels where The Lion is a big sulking lummox and a fourteen yearold boy is able to walk and talk with him like he's his football hero and not a god made flesh.

The cool thing with the Emperor is that no two people can even agree on what he looks like, and each person tends to see either what the emperor wants them to see or else what they themselves want to see in his face.

Similarly, it would be cool if what each person sees when they see a primarch is actually subtly different, and that their accounts often diverge because of the immensity of their presence. And also that they're not necessarily physical giants even larger than an astartes, but rather that everyone simply perceives them as being taller than anything else in the room because they're not entirely of this world.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

If that's how you think you come across you've got some serious problems.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Baron Bifford posted:

Swing and a miss.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Baron Bifford posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up you humorless dolt.

So this 40k relevant: you're about as clever as an Iron Hand trying to be a comedian.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

VanSandman posted:

So this 40k relevant: you're about as clever as an Iron Hand trying to be a comedian.

I dunno. Iron Hands could at least have so unfunny it's funny going for them

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I don't literally groan every time an Iron Hand posts in the thread

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Isn't he the guy, who among other things, vigorously denied the Blood Ravens were thieves because there wasn't an explicit passage saying they were, even thought there was alot of poo poo that outright said they stole things? I think he's just threadshitting.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

The introduction of Alpharius/Omega was cool as it goes towards explaining why Alpharius was the physically smallest of the primarchs. I loved Legion, but still raised an eyebrow where Alpharius (or Omegon) gets caught with a sword strike from a HUMAN Lucifer Black in a one on one fight. I know the Lucifer Blacks are some of the toughest warriors in the galaxy, but a single human shouldn't be able to blink before a primarch can rip him apart.

It's probable that it wasn't actually Alpharius or Omegon. That's kind of their thing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Isn't he the guy, who among other things, vigorously denied the Blood Ravens were thieves because there wasn't an explicit passage saying they were, even thought there was alot of poo poo that outright said they stole things? I think he's just threadshitting.

No, he really is that goddamn stupid and spergy. Check his post history and rap sheet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

"Query: why do humans emit salt water under distress? Do they believe salt water will deactivate a 50 terawatt laser discharge? Response: Because they are tiresome and weak. All glory to the machine."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

"Query: why do humans emit salt water under distress? Do they believe salt water will deactivate a 50 terawatt laser discharge? Response: Because they are tiresome and weak. All glory to the machine."

I'd love to see what he'd do to a heckler.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'd love to see what he'd do to a heckler.

Hey Iron Hand! More like Iron Warrior!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lenoon posted:

Human, how about I use my omnissiah gifted metal hand to introduce your inferior human windpipes to pain?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lenoon posted:

"You are incorrect, mortal. The word Iron in Iron Hands is more properly rendered in the medusan sidrox which means 'shining' or 'metal' beginning in middle Medusan, as opposed to swee'chlal in Olympian, which refers more accurately to the ancient Olympian practice of grinding stone against an iron blade. Furthermore..."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cream_Filling posted:

The cool thing with the Emperor is that no two people can even agree on what he looks like, and each person tends to see either what the emperor wants them to see or else what they themselves want to see in his face.

What always stuck with me is that scene in LEGION with John Grammaticus. He doesn't say what he physically saw but that the Emperor and him having a little 'immortal psychics' bro moment makes me think he has a better view of what is behind the psychic mask the Emperor puts up. "Bloodthirsty" was the impression he came away with, wasn't it?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Wonderful.

So a wulfen, a death company member and kharn walk into a bar, and the bartender says 'hey what is this? The bar is closed'

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

VanSandman posted:

Cream_Filling posted:

Swing and a miss.

So Lion'El was irreverent, humorless, and... stupid?

It was a legitimate question.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
I have to say after reading through this thread and it recommendations for authors, I have to agree I really enjoy ADB's writing. I especially enjoy his portrayal of space marine humor. There are plenty of them throughout his books. Though the ones I have seen in soul hunter and blood reaver so far are my favorite. They are these traitor marines who are murders and other such traitor marine things, but they still pull off great lines. Like when talos says something about blood reaver being a horrible name for a person and cyrion firing back that's rich coming from someone know as soul hunter. Good times with the traitor marines.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I also like how, when ADB plays the universe deadpan, Konrad Curze hates his name and is actually aware that his life is a joke and is super bitter about it. Same goes for Soul Hunter and a lot of the other guys with silly names.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

So Lion'El was irreverent, humorless, and... stupid?

It was a legitimate question.

Humorless, social inept, pedantic, annoying, missed the forest for the trees, etc.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

What always stuck with me is that scene in LEGION with John Grammaticus. He doesn't say what he physically saw but that the Emperor and him having a little 'immortal psychics' bro moment makes me think he has a better view of what is behind the psychic mask the Emperor puts up. "Bloodthirsty" was the impression he came away with, wasn't it?

It's a sometime-hinted at thing that the Emperor isn't a totally benign altruistic being with humanity's best interests at heart. For one thing, he clearly isn't human in the conventional sense. In fact it's somewhat ironic that for a setting that's centred on Humanity and has a fluff rule that stories shouldn't generally be written from the perspective of aliens to preserve the alien-ness of their minds, we actually know less about what actually motivates the Emperor and what his background is than we know about most races. Even less so given the old Inquisitor/Starchild stuff that's been quietly dropped.

They could totally make him the last of the Old Ones.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Alchenar posted:

It's a sometime-hinted at thing that the Emperor isn't a totally benign altruistic being with humanity's best interests at heart.

It would be very 40k if Emperor wasn't; totally validating what Lorgar does and that Chaos really is the only way to salvation. :black101:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lyer posted:

It would be very 40k if Emperor wasn't; totally validating what Lorgar does and that Chaos really is the only way to salvation. :black101:

You say salvation, I say 'Soul getting eaten for all eternity.' I quite like the various hints that humanity is developing its psychic potential increasingly rapidly. Hell, in the Horus Heresy novels we see very few psykers who aren't navigators, astropaths, thousand sons, or a rare librarian or five, and not every Legion has much of a librarian unit, yet 10,000 years later librarians are a staple in most chapters (1-10 per thousand marines vs 1 per 10000 or so in the Heresy era by my guess) and the inquisition has psyker ranks of ability, suggesting they are much more common although still fairly rare; and that a lot of people have extremely minor levels of psychic ability, like that one character in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, the youngest ghost. On a somewhat related note, I'd quite like a book of fluff that has nothing but inquisition internal records, from Xenos research to interesting examples of heresy to advice and sayings from veteran inquisitors.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 12, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Was'n't there already one called xenology or something?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yes, and it is fantastic. Has a very Lovecraftian vibe to it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Is it available anywhere?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
You can find it for sale on amazon usually. Not cheap though. Still pretty happy I got the hardcover complete liber chaotica when I did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My main memory of flicking through Xenology is the bit about Eldar reproduction. It was.... well you'd just have to read it.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Alchenar posted:

It's a sometime-hinted at thing that the Emperor isn't a totally benign altruistic being with humanity's best interests at heart. For one thing, he clearly isn't human in the conventional sense. In fact it's somewhat ironic that for a setting that's centred on Humanity and has a fluff rule that stories shouldn't generally be written from the perspective of aliens to preserve the alien-ness of their minds, we actually know less about what actually motivates the Emperor and what his background is than we know about most races. Even less so given the old Inquisitor/Starchild stuff that's been quietly dropped.

They could totally make him the last of the Old Ones.

It could be that The Emp is one of the eight points of Chaos and has been grooming humanity to become his private reserve of sustinance by cutting off the other powers. A single Chaos lord who is powered by an entire race that worships him, and him alone, like a god fueling him. We got Violence, Sense, Pestulance, and change/mutation. The Emp could be pride. Oh god...the whole Heresy could have started simply because mankind got stuck in the middle of a warp civil war / coup de tat.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Finished Blood Reaver and it is amazing. Uzas does a pretty good job as comic relief. Is it worth it tracking down the core, or should i just skip to the last book?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MariusLecter posted:

I haven't read the book but the Wikia entry on this guy says that he was basically duped by the agents of Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Baron Bifford posted:

I haven't read the book but the Wikia entry on this guy says

You should preface all your posts with this, as a warning to new posters.