Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FFV on iOS did it with Jump. Another gauge fills up in a different color to let you know how long it is before the character lands. I don't know if any other abilities in that game had a timer after doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FFV on iOS did it with Jump. Another gauge fills up in a different color to let you know how long it is before the character lands. I don't know if any other abilities in that game had a timer after doing them.

!Ianuki and !Focus would be the other two that I could think of that might.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What was worse; the stairs climbing part in Final Fantasy VII, or the ladder climb in Metal Gear Solid 3?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

What was worse; the stairs climbing part in Final Fantasy VII, or the ladder climb in Metal Gear Solid 3?

The stairs climb by default, because that ladder was great.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The ladder climb was top and the stairs climb was not top so, stairs climb.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Stairs climb had funny dialogue and the ladder climb had good music.

They were both great. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Both of those things ruled.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Thanks! I hate missable stuff on FF games when its tucked away somewhere. Grabbed the first turtle paradise poster in the slums. Now to deal with my least favourite part of midgar, the cross dressing/battery finding minigames.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Brasseye posted:

Now to deal with my least favourite part of midgar, the cross dressing

Incorrect, sir. :catstare:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Brasseye posted:

Now to deal with my least favourite part of midgar, the cross dressing.

Every night I dream of the FF7 remake to see these scenes in full realistic HD graphics and voice acting!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

In true modern gaming form, you can get the dresses as alternate costumes through DLC!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I think a couple other games use the mechanic of showing spell wait times, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

FF Dimensions used this pretty consistently.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man I hate to do this with games, but after sinking all these awful hours in FF8 I'm gonna have to call it quits right at the end. I don't think I have the patience for Ultimecia's Castle...

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Great Lakes Log posted:

Man I hate to do this with games, but after sinking all these awful hours in FF8 I'm gonna have to call it quits right at the end. I don't think I have the patience for Ultimecia's Castle...

I'm playing through that part right now and it's actually very quick. I only have Tiamat and Ultimecia left, and I haven't gone crazy with refining cards for auto haste/protect/shell, and I also don't have Diablos for encounter-none.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vadun posted:

I'm playing through that part right now and it's actually very quick. I only have Tiamat and Ultimecia left, and I haven't gone crazy with refining cards for auto haste/protect/shell, and I also don't have Diablos for encounter-none.

It's not that it's particularly long, I just think its boring and I don't care enough to actually go through the motions to finish the game. All I'm going to do on the final boss is get squall into limit break territory make him invincible and use Lion Heart over and over till the game is done. I don't care enough about the story to do this. Or even read about it! I assume you save the world.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Climbing the stairs in FF VI's Fanatics' Tower without the Moogle Charm. Even better when you go all the way up there without Life2 and die to the boss's Ultima when he dies. :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Great Lakes Log posted:

It's not that it's particularly long, I just think its boring and I don't care enough to actually go through the motions to finish the game. All I'm going to do on the final boss is get squall into limit break territory make him invincible and use Lion Heart over and over till the game is done. I don't care enough about the story to do this. Or even read about it! I assume you save the world.
If you turn off the ending halfway through, you can pretend that jackass Squall gets what he deserves.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you turn off the ending halfway through, you can pretend that jackass Squall gets what he deserves.

A way better time to do that is when he gets impaled by that ice spear, though. Not only do you get to pretend he died, you can stop playing the game three disks early!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Climbing the stairs in FF VI's Fanatics' Tower without the Moogle Charm. Even better when you go all the way up there without Life2 and die to the boss's Ultima when he dies. :negative:

Even with the Moogle Charm it's tedious as heck! And unlike those other two examples there's nothing else going on while you climb.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Srice posted:

Even with the Moogle Charm it's tedious as heck! And unlike those other two examples there's nothing else going on while you climb.

Well, at least you get to listen the most intensely boring musical track in the game the whole time too :shepface:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fungah! posted:

A way better time to do that is when he gets impaled by that ice spear, though. Not only do you get to pretend he died, you can stop playing the game three disks early!
It's too late for that now! Besides, he'd miss out on MASTER NORG and his actually really good boss fight theme.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I pretty much stopped playing after NORG because at that point the battles just kind of became tedious slogs, despite my junctions. Is that a decent/okay time to stop?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I pretty much stopped playing after NORG because at that point the battles just kind of became tedious slogs, despite my junctions. Is that a decent/okay time to stop?

Nah, you're pretty good. You're missing precisely nothing of worth.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I'm at what I can only assume is a 'halfway' point in 12 IZJS. There's just so much to do with marks and stuff. Gaining levels seems to be somewhat slow going--in the high 40s now and just beat Gilgamesh, though story-wise I just fought Cid. (Loved that re-done theme from 5 during the Gilg fight)

Do I still have quite a way to go? I have no interest at all in fighting super-bosses or anything (outside of a half-hearted attempt just to see how fast I get slaughtered), though I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at some of the victories I've eked out of some of the elite marks and some optional espers.
Speaking of espers, how doable are the last couple of optional ones?

This Reverse spell... can I just use this during any boss fight for smooth sailing? I am certainly not going to complain about its inclusion!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elec posted:

I'm at what I can only assume is a 'halfway' point in 12 IZJS. There's just so much to do with marks and stuff. Gaining levels seems to be somewhat slow going--in the high 40s now and just beat Gilgamesh, though story-wise I just fought Cid. (Loved that re-done theme from 5 during the Gilg fight)

Do I still have quite a way to go? I have no interest at all in fighting super-bosses or anything (outside of a half-hearted attempt just to see how fast I get slaughtered), though I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at some of the victories I've eked out of some of the elite marks and some optional espers.

This Reverse spell... can I just use this during any boss fight for smooth sailing? I am certainly not going to complain about its inclusion!
Yes, you have a fair ways to go yet. I can't give you an approximate level to beat the game at, since I am that guy who does all the hunts, no matter how impossible, as soon as they become available.

As for the Espers, depends on which you mean by "the last couple of optional" - the difficulty ramps up pretty steeply on the last one or maybe two, the others are all around the same level of challenge at the time you can take them on IMO.

And yes, Reverse is insane. Do you have Decoy? I don't remember which jobs get it in IZJS.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In terms of the plot, any time is really fine. I enjoy breaking the game backwards and forwards, but the plot kinda has its holes. (Still, there is some benefit to seeing it through so you can see some things get explained and be justified in bitching about how other things don't, or that their explanations suck. Informed opinions and all that.)

That said, "tedious slogs, despite my junctions" is something of a contradiction. If your junctions are good enough to justify the use of the word "despite", then battles should be particularly quick and un-tedious. You're not still relying on summoning GFs to do damage, are you? I could definitely see the tedium if you have to sit through one or more summons Every Single Battle instead of doing more damage in less time with character attacks.

You may find the game more enjoyable if you start focusing on breaking its mechanics over your knee and becoming roving death machines, who occasionally have to suffer through a bout of plot before they get more things to kill. That said, if you're sick of it then you're sick of it: it's not like there aren't plenty of other things to do in the world that you may well enjoy more.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elec posted:

You're getting relatively close to the end story-wise; there are ~3-4 mandatory dungeons left (some pretty lengthy), and the expected semi-lengthy cutscenes as you hit an RPG end-game.

As for side-content, there are of course a million marks and some extra Espers. If you've taken out Gilgamesh, you're probably pretty good to handle most or all of the remaining Espers. I don't know how many optional side areas you've already taken on, since there are so many and the game is pretty open-ended, but a lot of optional areas are pretty extensive. It's not like you just go to X and fight boss Y; there's a lot to explore. I can pretty much guarantee there are at least two, probably three large optional areas you haven't explored yet.

As for the Reverse spell- it's extremely useful, but it has a low duration and a low accuracy, so unless you've got an Indigo Pendant on the caster it can be tricky to rely on. Also, it doesn't prevent statuses that can screw with you, and one or two bosses will try to punish you for over-reliance on it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm at the boss fight with Cid at his lab in 12 and how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with those drones? I focus fire the one that heals him and then the physical buffs so I can start chipping away at him but he does so much damage...

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And yes, Reverse is insane. Do you have Decoy? I don't remember which jobs get it in IZJS.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going through with a guide so I've done almost all possible side stuff at this point except for two espers I'll probably next time I boot up.
White and Red Mages can use both reverse and decoy, which means both my parties are good to go.

Schwartzcough: Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Decoy is Green Magick in IZJS so every Mage class gets it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Vil posted:

That said, "tedious slogs, despite my junctions" is something of a contradiction. If your junctions are good enough to justify the use of the word "despite", then battles should be particularly quick and un-tedious. You're not still relying on summoning GFs to do damage, are you? I could definitely see the tedium if you have to sit through one or more summons Every Single Battle instead of doing more damage in less time with character attacks.

You may find the game more enjoyable if you start focusing on breaking its mechanics over your knee and becoming roving death machines, who occasionally have to suffer through a bout of plot before they get more things to kill. That said, if you're sick of it then you're sick of it: it's not like there aren't plenty of other things to do in the world that you may well enjoy more.

I've been focusing mostly on my regular attacks with Berserk and haste going. Typically hitting ~700 damge per hit. Norg took 20+ minutes to beat anyway. (and no, I wasn't using Berserk for most of the fight due to the gimmick with hitting the lights or whatever they were.)

It may help you to know that I adamantly refuse to play Triple Triad. I really cannot stand that minigame for some reason.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I've been focusing mostly on my regular attacks with Berserk and haste going. Typically hitting ~700 damge per hit. Norg took 20+ minutes to beat anyway. (and no, I wasn't using Berserk for most of the fight due to the gimmick with hitting the lights or whatever they were.)

It may help you to know that I adamantly refuse to play Triple Triad. I really cannot stand that minigame for some reason.

Look at this and how utterly wrong it is. :colbert:

Learn to love the card game, its music, and the ability to have endless Aura and Holy Wars.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Just junction... something to your Str. Even if you just junction Water which is ridiculously easy to get from the fish found on any beach, that's a +20 Str boost. Throw in Ifrit and it shouldn't be that hard to break 1k+.

In fact, if you're using Berserk/Haste, just use Ifrit's Mad Rush ability. Casts Berserk, Haste and Protect on the entire party for free.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What makes a man so broken?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Triple triad is arguably better than the main game of FF8, and I really liked the main game. If I ever run through 8 again Im going to make combat trivial with junctions and get every card.

iirc triple triad is also the fastest way to break the game - win cards/turn enemies into them, refine items from cards, refine magic from the items and junction 100 of whatever magic onto your stats to become unstoppable. I think you can do this from the first or second time you leave the garden & go to the world map. Trivialises combat but like someone else said earlier, that beats sitting through a million GF summons hammering the square button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

theonlypie314SA posted:

Not sure if this was posted yet but here is a trailer of FFX/X-2 HD Remaster trailer which shows the comparison of SD vs HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA6TshHFtJ4

How does the HD version compare to what you can do with emulation?

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It actually has enhanced models and cleaned up textures. I posted a comparison a while ago.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484538&pagenumber=262&perpage=40#post413696221

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Edit: Beaten by seconds!

exquisite tea posted:

This image gives a good idea of how much they actually improved the textures and models.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alright, I'm playing Final Fantasy Dimensions right now and honestly it's...good. The story isn't great, but it's decent. The combat is where it really shines. I'm in Chapter 2 with the Light Warriors, and I JUST got Barbara the Dragoon guest character at the Highwind Tower. So I figure it's time to step up my grinding game and I need some advice.

The main thing I'm already seeing about this game is that, like FF5, any job combination works fine. That said, I want to make fights both as easy as reasonably possible and also start to jump on the min/max train a little. I've done some research but I'd still appreciate some advice.

First, where's a good place to grind out AP in Chapter 2? Second, right now I have Sol a level 6 Monk, with a level 6 Warrior and 2 Thief. Aigis is a level 6 Warrior with a level 6 Monk. Sarah is a level 5 Red Mage with a level 4 Black Mage and level 4 Summoner. Dusk is a level 5 Red Mage with a level 4 White Mage. The first job is the primary job, and the second/third jobs are the ones I level after I reach the Job level cap on the main job.

What's a good level to take their jobs (I already know to get Red Mage to 20 as soon as possible because its usefulness will start to run out soon) and what jobs should I start maining? And what are some set-ups that you guys have? I could also use the same information for the Dark Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just junction... something to your Str. Even if you just junction Water which is ridiculously easy to get from the fish found on any beach, that's a +20 Str boost. Throw in Ifrit and it shouldn't be that hard to break 1k+.

In fact, if you're using Berserk/Haste, just use Ifrit's Mad Rush ability. Casts Berserk, Haste and Protect on the entire party for free.

That 700 is with 100 Water on Strength.

Never even heard of Mad Rush though. I'll have to look into that. SOunds like the Assault skill that Warriors get in 10-2.