Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LumberingTroll posted:

Clearly kala needs to be put on a custom rectangular base so you can use him in games. :black101:

Also I wonder if anyone has suggested to Reaper that they should do terrain elements from this stuff?

I dunno, but as soon as I opened kaladrax I was in love with the material as terrain. It's the perfect weight, heavy enough to stay still but not too heavy to throw in with your bucket of terrain, durable as hell, holds good detail, feels solid and not fragile. I love the Battlefield In A Box stuff for the same reason, but that stuff is pretty expensive (and to be fair comes painted so its worth it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You're all traitors if you don't start your vampire pledge with Mr. Bones.

Pretty rough because it's the first thing I've painted in at least a year, but there you go.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bad Munki posted:

You're all traitors if you don't start your vampire pledge with Mr. Bones.

Funny, I was thinking he'd be the perfect capstone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He led the way through the campaign, revealing new rewards the whole way. Of COURSE he should lead the way through the painting process.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Tried to get fancy with the object source lighting, and wound up being unable to leave well enough alone until the face was pretty far gone. I'll leave it as a lesson for now, and maybe strip and repaint it once I've gotten things better figured out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Would have been nice if my Mr Bones was included. :(

I can't really do anything about it until I've inventoried everything though, and that's going to take... a while.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aldantefax posted:

bone draggin' dragon and some other minis! I will need to glue. In the spirit of buying minis for incredibly cheap I must also find an incredibly cheap paint solution to match!

poo poo, fax, I didn't know you went in on Bones too!

Come over to my place, I've got paints and brushes and an airbrush etc. we can paint bones and stuff.

Also, my wife pulled on your hat today on BART. :laugh:

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

First Bones figure painted. Just randomly chose this guy.

I think I'll just go with pulling stuff out at random until I learn to airbrush for my bigger extras.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just started on the Big C...Oh dear elder god it's going to be rough.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
All unpacked, tomorrow I start to catalog.

So far I have only noticed 1 thing missing, and thats the Rats to one of my Dungeon Attack addons. No miscasts, missing parts or imperfections either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
... I'm going to need a bigger table.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thespaceinvader posted:

... I'm going to need a bigger table.

Well the great thing is, you don't have to keep them all nicely arranged, you can just chuck them in a box and not give any shits, it's not gonna hurt them or anything. :)

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Finished Cataloging and I feel pretty fortunate. Out of two vampire sets and 18 add-ons the only errors were an extra mis-cast "Deladrin, Assasin", a missing "Elquin, High Elf Adventurer" and no "Mr. Bones". Overall this was an amazing deal and I have zero regrets.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
While I was going through them, I thought to myself, wow, some of these look like absolute garbage. They were 50 cents. Some look amazing. Those were also 50 cents. Really can't complain. I could throw half of these in the trash and still have gotten a great deal on the ones I like.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

While I was going through them, I thought to myself, wow, some of these look like absolute garbage. They were 50 cents. Some look amazing. Those were also 50 cents. Really can't complain. I could throw half of these in the trash and still have gotten a great deal on the ones I like.

Me too. I de-bagged everything but the multipart models last night. There's probably a half-dozen models with basically no nose. I found a lady whose fingers are cut off at the first knuckle. There's some figures where they glued on a piece, and I really wish they hadn't because it'll be a bitch to paint under a part.

But gently caress, $.50 each. I could throw away every model that isn't gorgeous and still have gotten an incredible deal. I'm happy.

Well... I am a little disappointed in one of the giants, which I guess I paid $5 for. She looks great from dead straight-on, but turn her to the side and her flesh just goes kind of straight back to her cape, so she looks bizarrely distended. I don't know why they thought this model would be OK to do that, it's a new sculpt.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

From the way they repositioned, weapon-swapped or reduced detail from a lot of the metal originals you can tell that there are limitations on the plastic molding process, which I think is the source of some of the sculpt weirdness.

Does anyone think Kaladrax will require wire reinforcement? I'm looking at the joins for the tail segments and wondering if they will hold the weight well once bonded.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Paolomania posted:

From the way they repositioned, weapon-swapped or reduced detail from a lot of the metal originals you can tell that there are limitations on the plastic molding process, which I think is the source of some of the sculpt weirdness.

Does anyone think Kaladrax will require wire reinforcement? I'm looking at the joins for the tail segments and wondering if they will hold the weight well once bonded.

I think that was just a desire to make them single piece models. They could have made the model the same as metal, but would have had to have them multipart, and they wanted to skip that.

The ones that look like crap are mostly decades-old models, so they maybe couldn't really hold up to a recasting for another material. Almost all the more recent stuff and the new sculpts are really nicely detailed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

There's some figures where they glued on a piece, and I really wish they hadn't because it'll be a bitch to paint under a part.

On that note, does anyone know if they plan to ship them assembled in general (i.e. non-kickstarter sales)? There are some of these that I'd really like to get unassembled for various reason. Like the big fire elemental, I'd reeeaaally like to have him unassembled.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

On that note, does anyone know if they plan to ship them assembled in general (i.e. non-kickstarter sales)? There are some of these that I'd really like to get unassembled for various reason. Like the big fire elemental, I'd reeeaaally like to have him unassembled.

I haven't looked super closely for seams but I think that fire elemental might actually be one piece.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, the big one is pretty clearly three pieces. You can see the keys inside and the seams.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Write them and ask them in about three or four months. They may have caught up on their sleep by then.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Most will be sold assembled, I'm afraid, unless they're so big that it sin't practical (like Kaladrax). Reaper's done some market research on the subject, and there are a bunch of people who are unwilling to buy unassembled minis, especially on the Bones price point. I know some people have had success breaking off the glued on bits through boiling, so you might try that if you want to do a detach/reattach.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Well... I am a little disappointed in one of the giants, which I guess I paid $5 for. She looks great from dead straight-on, but turn her to the side and her flesh just goes kind of straight back to her cape, so she looks bizarrely distended. I don't know why they thought this model would be OK to do that, it's a new sculpt.

Took some photos so I could illustrate what I meant.

From the front, this figure looks alright:

I mean, OK, nipples, but it's an interesting pose and there's lots of cool detail and I like that her facial structure isn't "european white person normative" or whatever. Also you can see that they glued on the braid.

But then, turn her to the side...

Her flanks just extend straight back to her cape, without curling inward.

It's not even that she's fat, because from the front she has a proportional waist of someone not overweight. So it's a disconcerting thing to turn her sideways and suddenly she's really thick.

Here's a closeup. I think this isn't really limitations of the casting, given that most or all of the other figures of this size had no problem with this. I think it's just lazy scuplting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That's not a new sculpt. First released in 2007.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahah! I don't know why I thought it was! Well. That explains that.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Based on the labelling on all the packages, can we assume that LDPE is what all bones are made of?

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Zurai posted:

That's not a new sculpt. First released in 2007.

Though it's not as if that would have looked less silly six years ago.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Paolomania posted:

Based on the labelling on all the packages, can we assume that LDPE is what all bones are made of?

I think it was supposed to be a type of ABS, actually.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Paolomania posted:

The bags are made of LDPE, which has the recycling symbol of a triangle with a 4 in it, which is also printed on the bags.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ah, mystery solved. Thanks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sat down and inventoried my order this weekend. 4 extra space marine guys, 1 extra candelabra, 1 missing arm for my earth elemental, and a lot of horrific yoga accidents. Hopefully boiling is as magical as you guys say it is.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of boiling, how boiling are we talking? Just starting to boil, rolling boil? Does anyone have a temperate range to shoot for?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I got an extra candelabra, too. My only missing piece seems to be a bit on the back of one of the snakemen, but I'll probably just fill it with something.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of boiling, how boiling are we talking? Just starting to boil, rolling boil? Does anyone have a temperate range to shoot for?

A slow boil seemed to be enough for me. I dumped them into a wire strainer basket sitting in the water, let them sit for maybe 15-30 seconds, removed them, formed them with my hands, then plunged them into ice water. If I didn't quite get it right, I'd do it again.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just barely boiling seems to work best, they reshape fast and you're less likely to burn yourself. :supaburn:

I've even had a little success running them under a hot faucet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I boiled water in a kettle and then poured that water into a glass bowl. I then dipped figures over the next ten minutes or so. I tried a figure at 15 minutes and it worked, but not as well.

I used chopsticks to fish them out of the water and was surprised that they weren't too hot to handle briefly before sticking them into cold water. I'm not sure if the ice is really necessary.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leperflesh posted:

I boiled water in a kettle and then poured that water into a glass bowl. I then dipped figures over the next ten minutes or so. I tried a figure at 15 minutes and it worked, but not as well.

I used chopsticks to fish them out of the water and was surprised that they weren't too hot to handle briefly before sticking them into cold water. I'm not sure if the ice is really necessary.

the ice is to shock the plastic into a more rigid form. Like quenching a sword. If you dont do the ice you are more likely to get rebent at room temps

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Plastic with an austenite phase! I love it. OK, I may have to re-try a couple, since my giant's sword is still a little, uh, floppy :flaccid:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I swear, boiling these things is literally magic. I could watch their little swords and legs and such self-straighten all day.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Bones #3, painted up tonight after I realized my GM's birthday is this week:

I'm a little sad I'll be parting with him, because this sculpt is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Iris of Ether posted:

Bones #3, painted up tonight after I realized my GM's birthday is this week:

I'm a little sad I'll be parting with him, because this sculpt is cool as hell.

I painted the lead version for a paint exchange, and I felt the same way. Cyber-gorilla is an awesome miniature.

• Locked thread