Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished watching Moshe Kasher's stand-up special on Netflix, and it is one of the strongest hours of comedy I've ever seen -- practically on par with Louis C.K.'s better specials. We did not stop laughing the entire time. I strongly recommend it to everyone here, unless this is old news and you've all already discovered his greatness.

I read his autobiographical book The Kasher in the Rye when it came out last year, a depressing and harrowing story of his troubled childhood as the son of deaf parents and his heavy drug use and criminal behavior between the ages of 12 and 16. He's clean and sober now, college-educated, obviously brilliant, and funny as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you've seen Moshe's special, I recommend checking out Brent Weinbach AKA the audience member plant at the end of the special AKA Anthony Rivera from Comedy Bang Bang. He's got this odd mix of a weird monotone stage presence when he's doing jokes and a great ear for impressions of the crazies you interact with in California. Both of his albums are on Spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0E7438p3s

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going on a road trip soon and I need stand-up comedy albums to keep me company. Probably about 10 of them. Any suggestions?

My favorite comedians are Dylan Moran, Brendan Burns, Sam Simmons and Louis CK.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sign up for a free month trial of Spotify Premium and you'll have a ton of choices.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Speaking of comedy albums on Spotify, just got finished listening to the Holy gently caress compilation and most of it is really good. Among others, it has Dana Gould, Brent Weinbach, Matt Braunger, Jackie Kashian, TJ Miller, Kyle Kinane, James Adomian and Moshe Kasher. Hard to go wrong. http://open.spotify.com/album/2ijJD427cOeyevEGUmQS9u

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
both Kyle Kinane albums

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Brent has 3 albums.

Also check out al madrigal'ss new album or kumail nanjiani's.

Also check out Joe List, Shane Mauss, Chris Fairbanks and Kelly MacFarland's.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'm going on a road trip soon and I need stand-up comedy albums to keep me company. Probably about 10 of them. Any suggestions?

My favorite comedians are Dylan Moran, Brendan Burns, Sam Simmons and Louis CK.

Both of John Mulaney's albums are great: The Top Part and New in Town. Kyle Kinane's Whiskey Icarus is fantastic as well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys I will check those out.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I just saw Ryan Singer as a mystery comic at the High Watt last night. I had never heard him before but he was awesome. Really smart conceptual stuff that would reel you in with quieter more thoughtful passages (where the room would be dead silent, but only because they were listening to every word), and then explode hilariously. Hung out with him and a few other comics after the show and he was a cool dude. I'll be checking out his albums.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Shovelbearer posted:

I just saw Ryan Singer as a mystery comic at the High Watt last night. I had never heard him before but he was awesome. Really smart conceptual stuff that would reel you in with quieter more thoughtful passages (where the room would be dead silent, but only because they were listening to every word), and then explode hilariously. Hung out with him and a few other comics after the show and he was a cool dude. I'll be checking out his albums.

I really like the High Watt, imo it's a way better venue than Zanies. Saw Pete Holmes there a while back with Chris Thayer and a couple other people whose names i forget.

Local venue chat ITT

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Yes, Chris Thayer is also super hilarious. I think the other two guys may have been Gary Fletcher and Will Copeland, who tend to be on most of those shows.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm late but Colin Quinn: Long Story Short is one of the best things on Netflix. It's not stand-up, but a hilarious one-man show about the fall of all the great civilizations throughout history. Definitely picking up tickets for his show about the Constitution when it swings into town.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm late but Colin Quinn: Long Story Short is one of the best things on Netflix. It's not stand-up, but a hilarious one-man show about the fall of all the great civilizations throughout history. Definitely picking up tickets for his show about the Constitution when it swings into town.
Yeah, that one is essential viewing. It's hilarious, but it's also jaw-droppingly brilliant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Picking up Jen Kirkman's book tomorrow from the library, how is it?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Picking up Jen Kirkman's book tomorrow from the library, how is it?

Not bad, but not great. I feel like she says a lot of the same things over and over again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm traveling to a work conference in Seattle tomorrow, which is awesome, but arriving too late to attend an incredible-sounding stand-up show with H. Jon Benjamin, Kristen Schaal, Eugene Mirman, Marc Maron, and Kurt Braunohler (for only $22.50). It starts at 8, and my plane doesn't touch down until 8:30-ish. Between getting through the airport, finding a cab downtown, and checking into my hotel, there's absolutely no way I can make that happen.

But Aisha Tyler is going to be speaking somewhere on Saturday night since her new book just came out, and she's funny and entertaining (and it's only $5), so I might go see her. (Her stand-up special streaming on Netflix is really good, for anyone who hasn't seen it, and it's not just "lady humor.")

Funny, last time I traveled for work, I got to see Amber Nash and Lucky Yates do an improv performance outside Atlanta (and met them afterwards), so I seem to end up near Archer cast members whenever I leave the state.

UPDATE: First flight was delayed two hours, missed the connecting flight by twelve minutes, so I didn't get to Seattle until 1 AM last night. Glad I didn't hope for the best and buy advance tickets to that show.

But I saw Aisha Tyler tonight, and she was awesome. She didn't even do a stand-up set, just read a hilarious, poignant, and poetic chapter from her book and did a funny and insightful Q&A session with the audience. She is so drat cool, and very openly nerdy (and smart and funny and gorgeous).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 14, 2013

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm traveling to a work conference in Seattle tomorrow, which is awesome, but arriving too late to attend an incredible-sounding stand-up show with H. Jon Benjamin, Kristen Schaal, Eugene Mirman, Marc Maron, and Kurt Braunohler (for only $22.50). It starts at 8, and my plane doesn't touch down until 8:30-ish. Between getting through the airport, finding a cab downtown, and checking into my hotel, there's absolutely no way I can make that happen.

Not to rub it in, but I managed to find out and go to that show the day of, and it was quite amazing. It also had Kyle Dunnigan and Jon Glaser. I think Marc Maron having to follow (and complain about following) improv from Glaser and Benjamin was quite unique . You also got to witness Marc Maron's Dave Attell, Eugene Mirman, and David Cross impersonations which were either spot on or stupid depending on how into comedy you are.

Its almost bizarre how good Glaser and Benjamin were good at improvising from nothing and making it hilarious.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

Not to rub it in, but I managed to find out and go to that show the day of, and it was quite amazing. It also had Kyle Dunnigan and Jon Glaser. I think Marc Maron having to follow (and complain about following) improv from Glaser and Benjamin was quite unique . You also got to witness Marc Maron's Dave Attell, Eugene Mirman, and David Cross impersonations which were either spot on or stupid depending on how into comedy you are.

Its almost bizarre how good Glaser and Benjamin were good at improvising from nothing and making it hilarious.

Well I'm glad someone got to go! I didn't think a show like that could disappoint.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well I'm glad someone got to go! I didn't think a show like that could disappoint.

Jeselnik will be at Hard Rock in October, btw. I'm absolutely going, even if I have to go alone.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New Maria Bamford album! :dance:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

Jeselnik will be at Hard Rock in October, btw. I'm absolutely going, even if I have to go alone.

Josh Blue is returning to the Improv in November, and my wife and I will definitely be there for him again. Jeselnik's humor is just too mean-spirited for me.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

FitFortDanga posted:

New Maria Bamford album! :dance:

Good looking out and it's on Spotify too. A few bits in and it's already better than that video special where her mom and dad were the only audience members.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Boosh! posted:

Good looking out and it's on Spotify too. A few bits in and it's already better than that video special where her mom and dad were the only audience members.

The Special Special Special was fuckin' rad :colbert:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Thanks for this! Last time I checked his website, he wasn't coming to my lovely city. Now to pray my wife gets the night off so I can actually go.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Motherfuckin' Kumail's awesome goddamn stand-up special is on tonight on Comedy Central at midnight, probably uncensored to boot. I can't wait!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm watching Kumail's special now, and I just learned more about a certain woman in the audience than I would have ever wanted to know.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Really loved his special. Kumail is so loving funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
poo poo totally missed it, it drops next week though right?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

While Kumail's was pretty good Bamford's might be the best of the year for me. She's so sneaky good.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Ariza posted:

my wife

my wife!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Bunk Rogers posted:

While Kumail's was pretty good Bamford's might be the best of the year for me. She's so sneaky good.

Just got back from seeing her at Just For Laughs - the small details of her performance are just so good - voice / tone, gestures, expressions.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

IFC has renewed Maron for a second season of 13 episodes.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Kyle Kinane just released a $5 special called "Dancing Around the poo poo Fire" on Chill.com:
http://chill.com/l/P6R

(As it turns out, it's not just him on this.)

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Shovelbearer posted:

Kyle Kinane just released a $5 special called "Dancing Around the poo poo Fire" on Chill.com:
http://chill.com/l/P6R

Awesome, thanks! Going to watch it now.

E: Just so it's clear, this is a special Kinane produced and opens up for, but not a purely one person stand-up special. 10-15 min. of Kinane tops.

Also add me to the list of people loving the new Bamford album. I think it might be my favorite of hers.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 23, 2013

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
A new Maria Bamford album is like getting blasted in the face by a cannon filled with rainbows and kittens pugs. Fantastic set, I just wish it was filmed. I've only ever seen her do 5 minutes on talk shows and the short bit they showed on Louie.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Illinois Smith posted:

A new Maria Bamford album is like getting blasted in the face by a cannon filled with rainbows and kittens pugs. Fantastic set, I just wish it was filmed. I've only ever seen her do 5 minutes on talk shows and the short bit they showed on Louie.

You can catch her in a few things that are out there on the web. She's made multiple appearances on John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show (all viewable for free if you have Amazon Prime, still really cheap if not), Netflix has the Comedians of Comedy tour movie along with two concert films, all featuring her. Also, for $5 on the aforementioned Chill you can get The Special Special Special (Maria performing in her house, for -- almost -- only her parents). Incidentally, I would really like to see the opening set Jackie Kashian apparently did for Maria's parents. Also, hulu has some things by or featuring her.

I'm something of a fan.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The bit about the way people talk about mental illness vs physical disorders is probably my favorite joke of her ever. I love all her newer darker material so so much, especially because I'm dating someone who is also bipolar ii.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Popelmon posted:

Really loved his special. Kumail is so loving funny.

I know I've seen him in other stuff and found him funny but holy poo poo that special is hilarious.

According to his wikipedia that's his only special?

He was great on the Jeselnik Offensive too, I would love to see more of his stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dip Facial posted:

I know I've seen him in other stuff and found him funny but holy poo poo that special is hilarious.

According to his wikipedia that's his only special?

He was great on the Jeselnik Offensive too, I would love to see more of his stand up.

He does some horrible podcast about video games, but no matter how much I like him I couldn't finish an episode. Listening to people talk about video games makes me sad. Speaking of the Jeselnik Offensive, he really needs to stick to standups as guests because that girl was awful this week.