Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If you like Final Fantasy then I don't see how you could dislike Lost Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The other day I felt some weird desire to complete the Xenosaga trilogy, having only beaten the first game some 11 years ago (yikes)! From what I've heard, the second's combat is really bad, but the third picks up somewhat and is generally regarded as the best in the series. So two questions: 1) Do all the meandering storylines ever begin to come together at any point, and 2) Do they manage to write Chaos, who in my mind represents all the worst trends in JRPG characterization, out of the plot?

I know I'm late but...

1. Like ImpAtom said, kind of. You get the definite impression some stuff was half-assed because they had to wrap everything up in a hurry. Episode 2 was such an abortion that a lot of the plot that was supposed to be developed in it had to be done in 3. Plus the series was repeatedly shortened until eventually it became a Trilogy. It really shows.

Also if you really intend to finish the series, do check this out.
http://zarathustra.kaisho.org/

It's a translation of Pied Piper, a Japanese-only mobile game that expands on ZIggy's backstory. It's actually really good I thought. I'm thankful that I read it before EP3 came out all those years ago as it really explains some things.

2. chaos does get a new voice-actor. You'd be surprised how muwh a voice can help a character and it does seem that most people vastly prefer the new dude.

Also, to the earlier poster saying EP3 wasn't canon, then EP2 shouldn't be either. That game had such Executive Meddling that Soraya Saga, the director's wife and one of the main writers, complained about it on her website. She was also fired from the team. The fallout of Episode 2 is directly responsible for why 3 didn't really match up with the director's original vision.

But his original vision or not, Episode 3 is at least interesting. Episode 2 is just...boring, in both gameplay and story.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 7, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Way back when I had obtained a patch for the PS1 release of Final Fantasy Tactics, called Complete (rather than 1.3, which I guess is the other big one). I remember being told at the time that it gave the game the PSP's script and re-balanced it without making it super difficult like 1.3 apparently did. I think it was still in Beta though, as the one I have pops up with "Beta V.50" in the first screen.

Anyway, is this still the version to use or has there been an update at some point? The other one I've seen is Content 1.3, which is 1.3 without the dumb difficulty.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Nate RFB posted:

Way back when I had obtained a patch for the PS1 release of Final Fantasy Tactics, called Complete (rather than 1.3, which I guess is the other big one). I remember being told at the time that it gave the game the PSP's script and re-balanced it without making it super difficult like 1.3 apparently did. I think it was still in Beta though, as the one I have pops up with "Beta V.50" in the first screen.

Anyway, is this still the version to use or has there been an update at some point? The other one I've seen is Content 1.3, which is 1.3 without the dumb difficulty.

Complete didn't, and doesn't change anything about how the game played. All it did was insert the PSP script and enable/translate the books that were cut from the English release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NikkolasKing posted:

I know I'm late but...

1. Like ImpAtom said, kind of. You get the definite impression some stuff was half-assed because they had to wrap everything up in a hurry. Episode 2 was such an abortion that a lot of the plot that was supposed to be developed in it had to be done in 3. Plus the series was repeatedly shortened until eventually it became a Trilogy. It really shows.

Also if you really intend to finish the series, do check this out.
http://zarathustra.kaisho.org/

It's a translation of Pied Piper, a Japanese-only mobile game that expands on ZIggy's backstory. It's actually really good I thought. I'm thankful that I read it before EP3 came out all those years ago as it really explains some things.

2. chaos does get a new voice-actor. You'd be surprised how muwh a voice can help a character and it does seem that most people vastly prefer the new dude.

Also, to the earlier poster saying EP3 wasn't canon, then EP2 shouldn't be either. That game had such Executive Meddling that Soraya Saga, the director's wife and one of the main writers, complained about it on her website. She was also fired from the team. The fallout of Episode 2 is directly responsible for why 3 didn't really match up with the director's original vision.

But his original vision or not, Episode 3 is at least interesting. Episode 2 is just...boring, in both gameplay and story.

Thanks for the write-up. I decided that I'd just rather watch longplays of XS2/3 and zip around to the most salient moments because the game honestly makes my brain hurt and I like the concept of playing them rather than actually doing it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

1.3 focuses on making everything super difficult as you mentioned.

FFT 1.3 (PSX) - http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/13-final-fantasy-tactics-13/
FFT: WotL 1.3 (PSP) - http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/109-fft-war-of-the-lions-13/

then there are a few more assorted ones here: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=53.0

FFT+ - http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=54.0

FFT+ increases difficulty in a more balanced way so it's still approachable for FFT newbies or those who haven't played in years.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Just got the Battle Tower in divinity 2 and I'm still having a blast. If there's 2 things I don't like about the game, though, it's that special armor sets don't have unique models, and that it took so long to be able to craft, when I've been getting materials since the start of the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

THE PWNER posted:

Just got the Battle Tower in divinity 2 and I'm still having a blast. If there's 2 things I don't like about the game, though, it's that special armor sets don't have unique models, and that it took so long to be able to craft, when I've been getting materials since the start of the game.

Did you not find the alchemist, necromancer, and enchanter in Broken Valley?

Alchemist: Underneath the mill. Mind-read Upton to learn where they key for the door is.
Enchanter: In the large part of the valley, the far western side. A quest needs to be done, and you are points you in the direction of a small mine to the Southeast...
Necromancer: In a cave in the northern arm of Broken Valley. A quest needs to be done and you need to visit the small mine in the SW of Broken Valley to complete it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Papercut posted:

If you like Final Fantasy then I don't see how you could dislike Lost Odyssey.

This is basically the perfect summary. It was a Final Fantasy game with one rather good scene about immortality and excellent short stories written by someone who should have written the main story. There were also a bunch of loose ends and unexplored ideas in the game which was honestly frustrating because they constantly teased you with interesting concepts for the immortals.

Oh and combat was a blast even if the hardest boss fight in the game was the first one.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Did you not find the alchemist, necromancer, and enchanter in Broken Valley?

Alchemist: Underneath the mill. Mind-read Upton to learn where they key for the door is.
Enchanter: In the large part of the valley, the far western side. A quest needs to be done, and you are points you in the direction of a small mine to the Southeast...
Necromancer: In a cave in the northern arm of Broken Valley. A quest needs to be done and you need to visit the small mine in the SW of Broken Valley to complete it.

I found the Necromancer, but not the other two. Now I feel like a dumb.

The Alchemist was the one I really needed the most, that would've saved me a ton of trouble. I sat there waiting for hp/mana to regen a lot :(

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

I found the Necromancer, but not the other two. Now I feel like a dumb.

The Alchemist was the one I really needed the most, that would've saved me a ton of trouble. I sat there waiting for hp/mana to regen a lot :(

There are a ton of secrets in that game and many of them are pretty hard to find, it's one of the things that I really liked about it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

THE PWNER posted:

I'll probably start up another game for this; in Broken Valley, I seem to get completely trounced by the guards on the way to the temple. Are there any general character build tips that anyone has?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

This is basically the perfect summary. It was a Final Fantasy game with one rather good scene about immortality and excellent short stories written by someone who should have written the main story. There were also a bunch of loose ends and unexplored ideas in the game which was honestly frustrating because they constantly teased you with interesting concepts for the immortals.

Oh and combat was a blast even if the hardest boss fight in the game was the first one.
Was looking forward to it, then my disc 1 wouldn't get read in my 360 :(

Gonna give it a buff or something and try again.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A whole bunch of Atlus PSP RPGs are discounted on PSN this week, if those float your boat. I think this is the lowest they have ever been priced.

quote:

Class of Heroes – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $3.49 original price: $14.99)
Crimson Gem Saga – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $3.49 original price: $14.99)
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $7.49 original price: $29.99)
Gungnir – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $7.49 original price: $29.99)
Hexyz Force – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $3.49 original price: $14.99)
Knights in the Nightmare – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $3.49 original price: $14.99)
Riviera: The Promised Land – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $2.49 original price: $9.99)
Yggdra Union – PS3/PS Vita/PSP Game (now: $2.49 original price: $9.99)

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

iastudent posted:

A whole bunch of Atlus PSP RPGs are discounted on PSN this week, if those float your boat. I think this is the lowest they have ever been priced.

Just an fyi before someone gets their hopes up, those are psp/vita only. I don't know why they have the ps3 listed.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

CORN NOG posted:

Just an fyi before someone gets their hopes up, those are psp/vita only. I don't know why they have the ps3 listed.

Hah, I didn't even notice that. Well done Sony blog writer.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've got a hankering to play an RPG on either the PS3 or 360, but I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel. Here's what's available in the amazon, what should I give a try.

Blue Dragon
Sacred 2
Rise of the Argonauts
Magna Carta 2
White Night Chronicles 2
Last Rebellion

Which is the least-worst?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

I've got a hankering to play an RPG on either the PS3 or 360, but I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel. Here's what's available in the amazon, what should I give a try.

Blue Dragon
Sacred 2
Rise of the Argonauts
Magna Carta 2
White Night Chronicles 2
Last Rebellion

Blue Dragon - Mechanically solid and the most traditional JRPG of the ones listed. The playable characters can be grating though.
Sacred 2 - Diablo-like. I only played the PC version. which had multiplayer lobbies taken down when the developer went bankrupt a few years back. There are better options out there especially on PC.
Rise of the Argonauts - Third person ARPG. Never played it myself, but I've heard it's alright/not-complete-poo poo.
Magna Carta 2 - Better than the first game. Suffers from being a bit too easy as you go through the game. Character designs are kind of :downs:
White Knight Chronicles 2 - Online servers were shut down last month so you would be getting half a game. The single player is improved over the first game, but the meat of the game was the online multiplayer.
Last Rebellion - Avoid.

It's no Lost Odyssey, but Blue Dragon is the best of the ones listed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Blue Dragon
Sacred 2
Rise of the Argonauts
Magna Carta 2
White Night Chronicles 2
Last Rebellion

Magna Carta 2 is probably the least-bad unless you mean the PC version of Sacred (which you don't.). It's not a great list though. The only other one I can point to is Blue Dragon which is honestly like a blander and less interesting Dragon Quest.

DO NOT PLAY LAST REBELLION. It is a game so bad they apologized for releasing it, and only released it because their contract said they must. This is not an exaggeration. Do not play it. It isn't even bad in a funny way. It just loving sucks.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ImpAtom posted:

DO NOT PLAY LAST REBELLION. It is a game so bad they apologized for releasing it, and only released it because their contract said they must. This is not an exaggeration. Do not play it. It isn't even bad in a funny way. It just loving sucks.

"Maybe they will make some titles with another company and improve their skills." - NIS America president re: Hit Maker, developers of LR

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Blue Dragon
Sacred 2
Rise of the Argonauts
Magna Carta 2
White Night Chronicles 2
Last Rebellion

Rise of the Argonauts is entertaining in a bland sort of way, as long as you go in with low expectations and don't mind seeing large swathes of Greek mythology being horribly trampled over.

Sacred 2 is a really lengthy, really European Diablo-em-up, with some unintuitive mechanics that can lead to you crippling your character while leveling up. There's a small community of people who absolutely love it, but I think they're almost all PC players.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ripley posted:

I think they're almost all PC players.

Yeah, basically. The console versions were broke as gently caress, and I don't know if they ever got the expansion.

I know that at least on launch an entire core skill of the game did nothing on consoles (Blacksmithing)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Blue Dragon has the best boss fight theme.

Out of all games ever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

Definitely don't get Last Rebellion. It's just so amazingly awful that I can hardly find words to describe the game. It's definitely an experience.

Ask Syrg Sapphire in particular about it. :unsmigghh:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's still in my PS3! I've spent more time with it than FFXIII so far, if that tells you anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It's still in my PS3! I've spent more time with it than FFXIII so far, if that tells you anything.

I don't actually know how this is possible considering you can platinum the game in under 12 hours.

Under 12 horrible horrible hours. :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

What about Cross Edge? I'm interested in knowing how long you lasted on that joy of a game.

I'm a veritable Santa Claus of giving bad gifts.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ImpAtom posted:

I don't actually know how this is possible considering you can platinum the game in under 12 hours.

Under 12 horrible horrible hours. :smith:

So what you're telling me is that while I let Steam idle for cards today, I should go play more of this. Got it.

S-Alpha posted:

What about Cross Edge? I'm interested in knowing how long you lasted on that joy of a game.

Chapter 2 right now, and I have a printed general tips guide someone PMed me in the case with the disc. It's been super-handy.

Honestly, I need to get back to the PS3 at some point, I've been focusing on trying to clear Steam backlog above all else lately.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Well, I probably got off lucky with the package you sent me, which included:

.hack GU Volume 3
Hyper Dimension Neptunia

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well now you reminded me about Cross Edge so I have to work on my replay a little more.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gyoru posted:

White Knight Chronicles 2 - Online servers were shut down last month so you would be getting half a game. The single player is improved over the first game, but the meat of the game was the online multiplayer.

No surprise there given how little they cared about NA players compared to JP players.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Blue Dragon has the best boss fight theme.

Out of all games ever.

This was true until Metal Gear Rising came out but yes, it's amazing and must be experienced. In that way the game was a true trailblazer!

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope

ImpAtom posted:

Im 100 percent serious when I say it's one of my favorite jrpgs this generation. I love the battle system and i picked it up really cheap on a whim. Go into it thinking it's simple an upscaled psp jrpg (half-truth) and you will have a good time.

Plus, easy plat (if you're into that sorta thing)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Levantine posted:

This was true until Metal Gear Rising came out but yes, it's amazing and must be experienced. In that way the game was a true trailblazer!
Yet another thing I missed by not having picked up Revengeance yet? poo poo, I gotta get on that.

On-topic: How the hell did Hyperdimension Neptunia sell well enough to justify a sequel?!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Doesn't it actually have like 2 sequels and 1 in the making? I just assumed it was mega popular in Japan at this point.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yet another thing I missed by not having picked up Revengeance yet? poo poo, I gotta get on that.

Revengeance has boss-specific vocal tracks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

juicecube posted:

Im 100 percent serious when I say it's one of my favorite jrpgs this generation. I love the battle system and i picked it up really cheap on a whim. Go into it thinking it's simple an upscaled psp jrpg (half-truth) and you will have a good time.

Plus, easy plat (if you're into that sorta thing)

Are.... are you sure you didn't pick up a mislabled copy of literally any other game on the planet? :stare:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

ImpAtom posted:

Are.... are you sure you didn't pick up a mislabled copy of literally any other game on the planet? :stare:

This discussion is making me disturbingly curious about this game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On-topic: How the hell did Hyperdimension Neptunia sell well enough to justify a sequel?!

A combination of being produced on a budget of about five dollars and appealing to the lucrative creepy otaku market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've been a little curious about the Ys series, and now the steam summer sale is happening, what are the best PC ones, so I have an idea of what to keep an eye out for on the daily sales.