Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Hahaha, I was wondering when this was going to happen. I figured it was only a matter of time given the DR1 ads. gently caress, I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen months ago.

I grabbed Adblock+ for Chorme, went to the all-ads page, covered part of my screen with a book and added all the DR2 ads I saw to the blocklist with the "Block similar elements" thing. I took a minor spoiler hit, but it's not on any of the deaths so when the relevant story points come up I'll just sit out the discussion.

Since I'm kind of an idiot, would anyone be able to confirm for me whether these blocking rules should keep me safe? (and if yes, I guess other people could use them to block the relevant ads themselves).

code:
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/0/e/"],
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/8/e/"],
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/a/"],
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/5/"]
edit: tables broke so I added linebreaks to the code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This might actually be the most spiteful thing I've seen on the forums. How much money did whatever user throw away to spoil an anime murdergame? :psyduck:

Diamond Joe Biden posted:

Well that's one way to spend ~$600, way to go guy :thumbsup:

Holy poo poo. Did Vilepilot just change his gimmick or something?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 12, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I suggest not talking about even the nature of the contents of the banner ads, since even talking about them will influence the perception of people who haven't seen the ads and that just leads to a road nobody wants to go down.

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster
Well that's one way to spend ~$600, way to go guy :thumbsup:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It costs like $8 to buy one ad for non-commercial purposes, they're hardly blowing THAT much money.

Geg
May 29, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Haha god drat, he bought 7+ of the Dangan Ronpa 2 spoiler banners as well in several different "flavors". What a fuckhead.

So that's... what, $200 dollars worth of ads to spoil a video game? Why the gently caress :psyduck:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In your face ad-buyer, I never scroll down far enough to see the ads anyway!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there a way to get that removed? I mean, I'd really like to not get spoiled and that's just, that's just amazingly prickish.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Austrian mook posted:

Is there a way to get that removed? I mean, I'd really like to not get spoiled and that's just, that's just amazingly prickish.

Pay $5 for no ads.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Policenaut posted:

Pay $5 for no ads.
Yeah, but that gets removed once a year whenever you're banned.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Look at it this way; we're helping Lowtax put his kids through collage! :shepspends:

Edit: Does he even have kids?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but that gets removed once a year whenever you're banned.

So don't get banned, then?

Looking at the ads myself, they're nowhere near as bad as the ones for DR1 which do pretty bluntly spoil every major twist and death. There's six ads and they read more like speculation than anything, and even if accurate would only really spoil the very end of the game.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Jesus Christ, it's like it's 2005 and I'm on ytmnd all over again. It wasn't funny then, either.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So don't get banned, then?

Looking at the ads myself, they're nowhere near as bad as the ones for DR1 which do pretty bluntly spoil every major twist and death. There's six ads and they read more like speculation than anything, and even if accurate would only really spoil the very end of the game.

Yeah, I agree. I spoiled myself a ways into this LP on vaguespoilers, and... these are even more vague then those are. Plus, the BY THE WAY start of the gif makes it pretty obvious. While you should still avoid the ads if you don't want to be spoiled, seeing one or two really isn't the end of the world.

I heard from a friend clicking them enough might end their run early, but I've honestly got no idea if that's true or not.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I just went ahead and bit the bullet for the upgrade. $5 is barely an inconvenience anyway. That just means what? One less meal at McDonalds?

I'm not even angry, just stunned. $8 dollars isn't a lot, but buying several ads has to add up to more than I'd expect someone to pay just to spoil a game. It's almost amusing how much must have been invested relative to the desired goal.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 12, 2013

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay. Either buy no-ads, find a way to just adblock the spoiler ones, or never click last post so you don't accidentally scroll to see the bottom ads.

Okay, seriously, did Monobear murder this guy's parents, cause I'm seriously starting to wonder who would waste that much money on trolling one thread.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

CandyCrazy posted:

I'm not even all that angry, just stunned. It's almost amusing the effort that must have gone into this. $8 dollars isn't a lot, but buying several ads has to add up to a decent amount.

I've been around the internet long enough to no longer be surprised at the lengths people will go to be a dick.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Add a fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas Filter on adblockplus. No more banner ads. It might block other things too, haven't noticed any.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami
How much of a mean-spirited, awful douche do you even have to be to pull a stunt like that, is what I'm wondering.

People who poo poo on fandom literally just because there are a lot of excitable teens participating in it are basically the worst. And make no mistake - that's entirely what's going on here.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Are there not rules to buying ads? I would imagine someone would screen the ads, or have some guidelines in place. Isn't one of the general rules of Something Awful to not be a total shithead?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope this doesn't interfere with orenoren's plans to continue the translation. :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 12, 2013

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

i300 posted:

Isn't one of the general rules of Something Awful to not be a total shithead?

Are we even using the same site?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Being a moron!

Don't talk about the contents of the spoiler banner ad, you dingus!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Cake Attack posted:

Add a fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas Filter on adblockplus. No more banner ads. It might block other things too, haven't noticed any.

Thank you Cake. At least some of us can stay un-spoiled. :(

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the bright side, at least the spoiler banners didn't discuss any murders.

At least for now...who knows what the next batch of DR ads will include.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

whitehelm posted:

At least for now...who knows what the next batch of DR ads will include.

If they pay for any more ads, they're really not good at this.

Anyone afraid of the already spoiling banner ads will have paid for the no-ads system by the time they produce new ads or find a way around seeing the ads (either by adblocking them or avoiding looking in the area). Anyone unafraid of them just won't care.

If they're planning to throw out more, they should really just keep their money, because it's going to mostly stop affecting their target 'audience' of the unspoiled who want to remain unspoiled.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
Discussing this might be frowned upon, but I'd like to throw out there to anyone else like me that the following did not work for me-

Falls Down Stairs posted:

code:
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/0/e/"],
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/8/e/"],
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/2/a/"],
IMG[src^="http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/1/5/"]

It might have just been me doing it wrong, but this broader and less elegant method eliminates the entire problem. It's a shame, I've found some cool stuff via the ads.

Cake Attack posted:

I was scrolling through the ads looking to see if the first method worked, got my eyes assaulted with the first two frames of spoilers. Don't let it happen to you!

Micrologos
Jun 29, 2013
I suppose anyone who doesn't want to pay $5 or use an ad blocker could stick a post-it note on the screen over where the ads would be if one scrolled right to the bottom.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Hey you loving morons, if you're going to talk about the spoiler advertisements, don't talk about the god drat contents of them.

Skymin50
May 7, 2013
All we can do at this point is hope the mods notice the ads and take them down.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
Guess it's a good thing I bought no ads a long time ago. I like speculating and discussing a game like this without some jackass spoiling everything.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Skymin50 posted:

All we can do at this point is hope the mods notice the ads and take them down.

They won't because that is dumb. Just adblock them (the custom filter posted above works) or shell out for no-ads, who cares.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
I honestly wonder if this is some form of petty 'revenge' from some tumblerite who took personal offense to the bans/probations. Luckily I usually browse on my phone so the ads are too small for me to see properly without zooming (also I think they're location based because most of my ads are for Japanese browser games), but still, it sucks for you guys that had to see it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sporkaganza posted:

How much of a mean-spirited, awful douche do you even have to be to pull a stunt like that, is what I'm wondering.

The same sort of people who yell "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE" in a bookstore on the day of the book's release for the reactions of everyone around them, i.e. goons. Whoever bought the banner ad probably can't stop laughing right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just add the SA banners to adblock and move on. It sucks in that it only really hurts the people with legitimate banners who might have gotten clicks off non-blocked people, but nothing else is going to change so complaining about it is kind of pointless.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
With ~42 new posts, I thought something exciting was going on. Oh well

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Torino posted:

I honestly wonder if this is some form of petty 'revenge' from some tumblerite who took personal offense to the bans/probations. Luckily I usually browse on my phone so the ads are too small for me to see properly without zooming (also I think they're location based because most of my ads are for Japanese browser games), but still, it sucks for you guys that had to see it.

Get Awful Betamax and you won't have to worry about ads at all! :buddy:

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

Happy Landfill posted:

Look at it this way; we're helping Lowtax put his kids through collage! :shepspends:

Edit: Does he even have kids?

I know he has at least two little daughters, because Shmorky made some flash animations of stories they made. They're somewhere on the front page, you should check them out, they're adorable :3:

Regarding the spoiler ads, keep in mind that this is a forum where they changed the name of a board to SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE back in the day, so no, the mods aren't going to care about spoiler ads for a niche anime game.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

If it's not one thing, it's another. Do we really need pages and pages of hue and cry every time something like this happens? The sensible thing to do is to just PM a top-level moderator about the ads and see what they have to say - popping off repeatedly in the thread is going to do nothing but fill it with annoying poo poo for people to scroll through wondering if there's anything of substance yet.

I can't wait for six posts from now where someone comes in to talk about a banner ad spoiler without reading the thread to see that everyone is already in lunatic histrionics about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I have to admit this is one feature of SA I'm not too fond of, if only because the forum rules don't make any effort to explain or rationalize it. Are ads allowed to have content that would get someone probated or banned for posting in a thread? If so, why? The rules do state, on the very first paragraph, that part of the reason we pay ten dollars is that most forums here are strictly troll-free thanks to the paywall and the strict, no-nonsense moderation. It's a thing I really like about SA - the video games forum here is the only one I can tolerate on the Internet. This ad thing is all about trolling, though, so I wish we'd have something concrete about it in the rules, one way or another.

The thing about this particular incident that sets it apart from earlier ones is that it's not really the same thing. If someone's reading Harry Potter and is afraid SA's ad and avatar policies may spoil the book, they are free to not read the forums, or even get away from the entire internet for a while if they're really paranoid. In this case, though, the only way to "get" DR2, at least the way Fedule and me are handling it, is to come here and access this forum along with its ads. You can't just not visit.

I've never actually given my opinion about this before (despite some people thinking that I did), but since this came up, here's the deal: I'm not going to do so myself, but if someone wants to go through the effort of mirroring updates from this LP elsewhere, go ahead. There are conditions, though: You'll have to copy all images to a different host (lpix is strictly for SA, and baldurk shouldn't have to deal with even more bandwidth than he already does). Also, don't copy the word filter - when I write 'poo poo' I mean 'poo poo', not 'poo poo'.

• Locked thread