Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Because of the girl, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

Anyone know anything about the expat scene in Daejeon or Boryeong (보령)?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I'm in Daejeon, what do you want to know? We have the best and cheapest foreign food in Korea. It is large enough to go out on the weekend and have fun if you are into the Korean style nightlife but small enough that you are still a unique and special flower if you are a paleface. If you want to know anything specific you'll need to specify but I like it out here.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

slacjs posted:

Anyone know anything about the expat scene in Daejeon or Boryeong (보령)?

All you need to know is STAY AWAY FROM MY GIRLFRIEND I'LL KILL YOU. DON'T THINK I WON'T. Real talk, I spent a whole lotta weekends over in Daejeon. It is a fine town, the foreign food is legit and I wasn't even able to explore one tenth of what it had to offer durring my time there. The expat scene does have a small town vibe to it from what I heard from the people who live there. Everybody knows everybody's business. But, it is big enough that you can escape from that if you choose to not go to the 'specifically foreign' places.

Braindance:
Is she rich? She sounds like it if she gots a car and can just leave her place whenever she wants to. If she is, I say accelerate this poo poo and start poking holes in yo trojans.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I have a buddy that lived in Boryeong and got out as soon as possible. I've been there quite a bit (it's a short drive) and it's really just a small rural city and a touristy beach. They've got good seafood there.
Unless there's a really good reason to go to Boryeong, choose Daejeon.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Note: really good reason to go to Boryeong is not mudfest

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Gonna be in Seoul on the 18th of July, want a goon to take me around places on my first day there because my lame travel friends are doing some cooking course thing. My kakaoID is selinaily if I could get an invite, and if anybody's free on the 18th! Free lunch included! :)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Ugh so
I finally ended up officially not renewing with my school. I had dinner with the other teachers and everyone I liked is leaving as soon as they can anyway, so, why stick around?
Now I'm sitting on jobs in Incheon and Busan and waiting on the pipedream easy street Seoul job as I get all the documents for my inevitable fallbacks.
However, my co-teacher has taken my leaving as an abandonment - or at least it's going to cause her a ton of hassle bringing the new person up to speed and it's all just a mess now. She seems actually, really upset.

I'm heading out now to buy her a nice gift basket or something. I need her to not screw me over when they call to talk to my co-teachers. At least the other one will give me a good review. UGH DRAMA YOU GUYS UGHHHH

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

My brother just moved to boryeong and he doesn't know anyone there so I'm trying to see what's up and what he can do. He's not a big drinker but he doesn't mind bars and I think he wants to find some chill poo poo to do on the weekends. If anyone has any ideas or wants to goon out with him I'm sure he'd enjoy it.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

slacjs posted:

My brother just moved to boryeong and he doesn't know anyone there so I'm trying to see what's up and what he can do. He's not a big drinker but he doesn't mind bars and I think he wants to find some chill poo poo to do on the weekends. If anyone has any ideas or wants to goon out with him I'm sure he'd enjoy it.

In a week or two he'll have all the friends he will never want.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tiara posted:

Free lunch included! :)

Turn left Tiara nooooooo.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Thanks guys who gave legit advice, it all kind of seems obvious but it's not not as easy when you're the one dealing with it.

Onion Knight, GZA, I'm super flattered you guys think so much about me but I think you're getting a few things wrong. Whatever, I guess I'll spell things out.

First of all, Onion Knight I think you skimmed over a lot of my posts. I post poo poo that happens to me (probably to vent, we all kind of need that here I think) but I watch the thread and try and help other people when I can. I just try not to say anything unless I know it one way or another. Lots of people post rumors and poo poo they heard, it's not always right. I also try to call out this "Koreans are completely different and, essentially all the same. There are no individual Korean people" attitude people get really close to sometimes. For example, gza and his "Koreans cant understand the idea of a casual hookup" thing. Not true, and totally not what's going on here anyway.

Also, girlfriends (or boyfriends) getting too attached is not whacky hijinks. I have trouble believing there are many people actively dating who havent had that experience.

Neither is getting poo poo for a late bill. The deal with that is, I moved right after my trip to the hospital and it took a long time for the bill to even get to me. I gave it to my boss along with my other bills. He told me he would take care of it. It was naive to listen to him, sure, but the late fee was a couple thousand a month no big deal. Bill came again, he said he would see if it could somehow be covered by insurance. Naive again, yeah and here we are. I'm going to pay it, it's not much, I just mentioned it because it's stressful to have extra expenses.

The rest is going out and meeting interesting people by just talking to them and being social. Sometimes it turns out good sometimes bad, I'm not gonna recommend that way of life over your foreigner DnD groups but it works for me. There's a reason (this year at least) that I haven't been deported. I do a lot of stupid poo poo, but mostly with my friends, in our own private lives. I'm not that retarded, I generally enjoy my life here, the vast majority of the people I run into enjoy me. In public I, without being too arrogant here, act better than many other foreigners I know. There are some stupid exceptions, some real stupid ones but poo poo happens cant change it. I'm good at my job, more so than can be said for a lot of people (and, if we're just gonna sum up peoples lives by their post history, than a few people in this thread.)

My apartment isn't some giant poo poo hole that needs this girl is scrubbing away at, it's sort of messy (some of that clutters because my dryer broke this morning, so I was in a mad rush to dry my pants. Thats why I have all those fans and the blowdryer.) I am not always blackout drunk (anymore, I kind of quit drinking minus a cass on Fridays. I'm kind of overwhelmed by hobbies, yoga and climbing, nerdy videogame hunting for my cousin and Korean class and theres just no time to be hungover.) This girl doesn't have to put up with some nasty troll or anything.

And about the girl, this whole thing is complicated. Like I said earlier I really do like her, shes just too much sometimes and I dont think we want the same things. I do care about her and it's hard to do something I know will hurt her. This started with me just trying to get laid but you know how that poo poo goes. I wouldn't have done anything if I knew it would screw with her religious life, but I cant know anything about everyone. I asked you guys because you don't know me at all, I ask you guys a lot of things because of that. You're disinterested third parties and when I have a question I do have an idea already what to do. I'm not letting you guys decide my life, I just want to hear from someone completely uninvolved in my life. Tirinal you're right, I'm oblivious here because I'm involved, that's kind of how relationship poo poo goes.

I think a lot of you get the idea that I'm some uncaring monster because I speak really informally and tongue in cheek all the time. It doesn't work as well with this threads super serious, crotchety old man tone. But the thing is, I'm not much of an rear end in a top hat to the rest of the world, just you guys.

Enjoy my yearly E/N post.

tl/dr, aint hurting nobody if I wash my dishes in the shower.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 11, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tiara posted:

Gonna be in Seoul on the 18th of July, want a goon to take me around places on my first day there because my lame travel friends are doing some cooking course thing. My kakaoID is selinaily if I could get an invite, and if anybody's free on the 18th! Free lunch included! :)

Where's the Seoul Welcome committee?

K goons are the best goons in Asia :dance:

But what's really going to happen instead of some "cultural tour" is just hanging out with :neckbeard: : playing dungeons and dragons in front of a web cam, watching a movie like Pacific Rim, or going to Myeong Dong Gyoja :swoon:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I'm free that day but not we'll versed in Seoul anymore, need Kant or Fromage

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BD, you seem to harbor some resentment towards DnD... did a half-orc break your heart when you were younger?

e: we play DnD on Sunday night online together. Its a fun time.

e2: Oooo, BD. I think we have the same couch! Is it super uncomfortable to sit on but super nice to lie down on?

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 11, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

What's this about foreigner DnD groups now?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

BrainDance posted:

My apartment isn't some giant poo poo hole that needs this girl is scrubbing away at, it's sort of messy

Is it wrong to be disappointed when a goon posts a picture of their room that's 'sort of messy' and it actually turns out to be sort of clean?

vodkat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 11, 2013

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My DM cheated. He cheated SO loving MUCH.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I am on poverty break after next Tuesday (vacation break for the after school class) so I should be available for my half of the welcoming committee. Lummox? How about you?

We've pulled a show around together multiple times, sometimes for Scandinavian goons, sometimes for Dutch ones, mostly for Chinese ones. Let us know what you are interested in and we can take you out or give some advice. If you don't know specifics, give a general idea.

I'm always excited when we can actually do the T&T part of this thread.

Your friends didn't do the Ongo classes did they? Don't tell them I said that, I need the Ongo guy to like me, but he just charges so damned much.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I can confirm that the Goon Welcoming Committee is everything they claim to be and more. :allears:

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

vodkat posted:

Is it wrong to be disappointed when a goon posts a picture of their room that's 'sort of messy' and it actually turns out to be sort of clean?

Well it wasn't a pic of D, P, or V so consider yourself lucky.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BrainDance posted:

Thanks guys who gave legit advice, it all kind of seems obvious but it's not not as easy when you're the one dealing with it.

Onion Knight, GZA, I'm super flattered you guys think so much about me but I think you're getting a few things wrong. Whatever, I guess I'll spell things out.

First of all, Onion Knight I think you skimmed over a lot of my posts. I post poo poo that happens to me (probably to vent, we all kind of need that here I think) but I watch the thread and try and help other people when I can. I just try not to say anything unless I know it one way or another. Lots of people post rumors and poo poo they heard, it's not always right. I also try to call out this "Koreans are completely different and, essentially all the same. There are no individual Korean people" attitude people get really close to sometimes. For example, gza and his "Koreans cant understand the idea of a casual hookup" thing. Not true, and totally not what's going on here anyway.

Also, girlfriends (or boyfriends) getting too attached is not whacky hijinks. I have trouble believing there are many people actively dating who havent had that experience.

Neither is getting poo poo for a late bill. The deal with that is, I moved right after my trip to the hospital and it took a long time for the bill to even get to me. I gave it to my boss along with my other bills. He told me he would take care of it. It was naive to listen to him, sure, but the late fee was a couple thousand a month no big deal. Bill came again, he said he would see if it could somehow be covered by insurance. Naive again, yeah and here we are. I'm going to pay it, it's not much, I just mentioned it because it's stressful to have extra expenses.

The rest is going out and meeting interesting people by just talking to them and being social. Sometimes it turns out good sometimes bad, I'm not gonna recommend that way of life over your foreigner DnD groups but it works for me. There's a reason (this year at least) that I haven't been deported. I do a lot of stupid poo poo, but mostly with my friends, in our own private lives. I'm not that retarded, I generally enjoy my life here, the vast majority of the people I run into enjoy me. In public I, without being too arrogant here, act better than many other foreigners I know. There are some stupid exceptions, some real stupid ones but poo poo happens cant change it. I'm good at my job, more so than can be said for a lot of people (and, if we're just gonna sum up peoples lives by their post history, than a few people in this thread.)

My apartment isn't some giant poo poo hole that needs this girl is scrubbing away at, it's sort of messy (some of that clutters because my dryer broke this morning, so I was in a mad rush to dry my pants. Thats why I have all those fans and the blowdryer.) I am not always blackout drunk (anymore, I kind of quit drinking minus a cass on Fridays. I'm kind of overwhelmed by hobbies, yoga and climbing, nerdy videogame hunting for my cousin and Korean class and theres just no time to be hungover.) This girl doesn't have to put up with some nasty troll or anything.

And about the girl, this whole thing is complicated. Like I said earlier I really do like her, shes just too much sometimes and I dont think we want the same things. I do care about her and it's hard to do something I know will hurt her. This started with me just trying to get laid but you know how that poo poo goes. I wouldn't have done anything if I knew it would screw with her religious life, but I cant know anything about everyone. I asked you guys because you don't know me at all, I ask you guys a lot of things because of that. You're disinterested third parties and when I have a question I do have an idea already what to do. I'm not letting you guys decide my life, I just want to hear from someone completely uninvolved in my life. Tirinal you're right, I'm oblivious here because I'm involved, that's kind of how relationship poo poo goes.

I think a lot of you get the idea that I'm some uncaring monster because I speak really informally and tongue in cheek all the time. It doesn't work as well with this threads super serious, crotchety old man tone. But the thing is, I'm not much of an rear end in a top hat to the rest of the world, just you guys.

Enjoy my yearly E/N post.

tl/dr, aint hurting nobody if I wash my dishes in the shower.

I hope things work out for the both of you.

I know that doing dishes in the shower seems to be some kind of inside joke here, but what's wrong with that?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The shower is where you clean the things you don't want on your body off. Doing so might get it on the stuff you eat off of. Basically it's a very indirect way to have a chance at eating your own poo poo/hair/ball sweat/whatever.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've never done it before but I think it's the same principle as drinking water from the bath faucet

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

Oh no, did I make a mistake with my free lunch bribe?! I'm gonna get robbed. :(

And you got it in one, they signed up for the Ongo classes. I'm coming along with them for the street food tours, but the cooking class just seemed like a bit too much. I'm staying in Myeong-Dong so my holiday ideal is just to buy lots of clothes and eat too much food.

So I wouldn't mind hanging out with goons in a restaurant or a shopping centre! I'm from Australia but I don't think that's a big factor in anything haha.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Don't exchange money at bank or at airport btw. Rate sucks and there is commission for exchange. Myungdong has plenty of currency exchange shops without commission and better rates anyway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why not just use your Bank card and withdraw at the foreign exchange bank?

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

I'm using a Citibank Debit card when I'm over there, so I figured I'll just withdraw money at ATMs as I go.. I already have a bit of won exchanged from a relative's trip though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Looking for cheap fake dino bones online for my camp and I find a message board with this gem:

anonymous coward posted:

I don't understand how so many people can buy into the lie of dinosaurs, it's just ridiculous. The Bible never mentions dinosaurs so they obviously weren't created by God. We're supposed to believe that these "dinosaur bones" are made of rock but how could something with a skeleton made of rock actually survive? How could they be millions of years old if the Earth itself is only about 6,000 years old?

It's hard to teach my kids about dinosaurs not being real. I try to tell them that it's just another one of Satan's tricks but dinosaurs are so popular. Their school teaches them that so many of Satan's lies are true but I can't afford the time to home school them or send them to private school.

How do you guys deal with teaching your kids about how dinosaurs are fake?

I'd really appreciate any advice, my kids are at that "dinosaur age". Please help!

anonymous coward posted:

No, people find rocks that look like dinosaur bones, lying scientists call them bones to help further their false, God hating theories.

Do the research!

Their forum apparently defaults guest to "anonymous coward." I don't want to live on this planet anymore :negative:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Toussaint Louverture posted:

The Bible never mentions dinosaurs

Man, have you seen that dude's post history? He talks about dinosaurs ALL the time.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

caberham posted:

Why not just use your Bank card and withdraw at the foreign exchange bank?

Commission, poo poo rate, poo poo rate. No sane foreigners in Myungdong go to bank for exchange.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Their forum apparently defaults guest to "anonymous coward." I don't want to live on this planet anymore :negative:
That's a default setting on some message boards though.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here's something funny. One of my 1-on-1 students goes to YMB Premier in Jongro-gu for TOEIC reading classes. In each class their are about 300 students. Yes, 300 students in one room, all looking at a jumbotron. All they do is go over a packet of about 200 questions and the teacher tells them the right answer. Except, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he gets the answers wrong and a bit of a hushed murmur comes over the room when people are confused. One such question was this:

"After the meeting, the delegates _____ felt prepared for their next task."

A) clear
B) clarity
C) cleared
D) clearly

He told them the answer was B. My student comes in with about 10 wrong questions from her packet every day, and at least two or three of them she actually does gets right, but the teacher told them something different. I'd love to be in the room when the teacher gives them the wrong answer and there's rumbling confusion from Koreans who know better than the teacher.

So who is this teacher? Why do people take his classes? Well first off, he's a Korean, so he can explain the answers to people in Korean, and he's supposedly famous, but not for teaching English. Why is he famous, you ask? He has a Ph. D. from :siren:Harvard:siren:.

...in Religion.

(Harvard, by the way, accepts all applications into their non-Law Ph. D. programs and their tuition is free.)

So what is his reward for basically doing a lousy job telling people the answers to the packet and sometimes getting it wrong?

loving 1억 every month. That's right, every month, not year. 100,000,000 won a month.

This guy makes $1,000,000 a year giving people the wrong answers to his tests solely because he went to Harvard. My jaw hits the floor every time I hear my student talk about this. He teaches massive classes 5 times a day, 50 minutes each, 5 days a week. He makes almost the same amount of money in one week that most of us will in one year.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Taking recommendations for quality meat buffet near noksapyeong or hongdae or anywhere along that way? I've liked Dino meat in the past, and variety is best. This is a part of goon welcome committee.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Double post

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So it looks like next month I'll be going to Seoul for two weeks to have a surgical procedure and I have a few questions.

- Is the Gangnam area pretty safe? I'll be staying either there or at a hotel that the surgery center recommended in Myeong-dong. I'm a trans woman who will be travelling alone and will still have male identification (although the picture doesn't really match anymore). Will the ID thing be an issue?

- How difficult will it be to get around when a)I won't be able to speak due to my surgery and b) don't know any Korean?

- Since I'm going to be alone and probably pretty scared it's likely that I'm not going to venture far from my hotel. Should grocery stores/food/other basics be found within walking distance of wherever I stay?

- A side question about the food - are healthy, low-calorie, non-spicy (can't eat spicy food after surgery) meals easy to come across? I'm on a diet and would like to stick to it as much as possible.

It sucks that I can't really treat this as a vacation and enjoy the sights and foods and culture and everything that Korea has to offer but I'm hoping this can be done as easily and painlessly as it can.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 12, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So it looks like next month I'll be going to Seoul for two weeks to have a surgical procedure and I have a few questions.

- Is the Gangnam area pretty safe? I'll be staying either there or at a hotel that the surgery center recommended in Myeong-dong. I'm a trans woman who will be travelling alone and will still have male identification (although the picture doesn't really match anymore). Will the ID thing be an issue?

- How difficult will it be to get around when a)I won't be able to speak due to my surgery and b) don't know any Korean?

- Since I'm going to be alone and probably pretty scared it's likely that I'm not going to venture far from my hotel. Should grocery stores/food/other basics be found within walking distance of wherever I stay?

- A side question about the food - are healthy, low-calorie, non-spicy (can't eat spicy food after surgery) meals easy to come across? I'm on a diet and would like to stick to it as much as possible.

It sucks that I can't really treat this as a vacation and enjoy the sights and foods and culture and everything that Korea has to offer but I'm hoping this can be done as easily and painlessly as it can.

You're in luck! It's the rainy season, so everyone is dressing stupid. It's really humid and wet. Korea in general is p safe. Gangnam moreso. If you were arrested (like 90% unlikely), it could be an issue. I've been here 2.5 years and have been asked for my ID once, on a ferry to Ulleongdo.

subway maps are in English, Korean, and Japanese for the most part.

Regarding food, Seoul is diverse. Most places, you could probably point and order. You can avoid spicy food easily, if you know what to order. Avoid kimchi.

Despite the recuperation time, if you can fit it in, there's a few museums and a studio gGibli exhibit in town right now.

Real talk: I don't know how to act around trans people and would likely treat you in the most gender neutral fashion possible (as would Kant, the resident food expert). If you're keen on grabbing a bite to eat with friendly people, there's a kakaotalk group for kgoons. Also, I'm free most days before 1pm, so if you'd like to grab lunch or a movie, I can join you, username at gmail.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

You're in luck! It's the rainy season, so everyone is dressing stupid. It's really humid and wet. Korea in general is p safe. Gangnam moreso. If you were arrested (like 90% unlikely), it could be an issue. I've been here 2.5 years and have been asked for my ID once, on a ferry to Ulleongdo.

subway maps are in English, Korean, and Japanese for the most part.

Regarding food, Seoul is diverse. Most places, you could probably point and order. You can avoid spicy food easily, if you know what to order. Avoid kimchi.

Despite the recuperation time, if you can fit it in, there's a few museums and a studio gGibli exhibit in town right now.

Real talk: I don't know how to act around trans people and would likely treat you in the most gender neutral fashion possible (as would Kant, the resident food expert). If you're keen on grabbing a bite to eat with friendly people, there's a kakaotalk group for kgoons. Also, I'm free most days before 1pm, so if you'd like to grab lunch or a movie, I can join you, username at gmail.

Hey, thanks! I figured that it would be pretty safe I'm just new to travelling alone and if it were an English-speaking country I would feel a lot more comfortable with everything.

And thanks for the offer! I don't know how much fun it would be hanging out with a goon whose only mode of communication would be typing stuff on a cell phone but I will certainly let you know. It's looking like I'll be there from the 12th-23rd.

Speaking of cell phones, will I be able to find a cheapo prepaid phone somewhere? Unfortunately I have Verizon so I can't just use my phone.

Edit: Oh, and that's good to hear about the clothes situation. I'm in the weird in-between androgynous stage and would like to stick out as little as I possibly can. What is "normal" summer-wear over there?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 12, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Hey, thanks! I figured that it would be pretty safe I'm just new to travelling alone and if it were an English-speaking country I would feel a lot more comfortable with everything.

And thanks for the offer! I don't know how much fun it would be hanging out with a goon whose only mode of communication would be typing stuff on a cell phone but I will certainly let you know. It's looking like I'll be there from the 12th-23rd.

Speaking of cell phones, will I be able to find a cheapo prepaid phone somewhere? Unfortunately I have Verizon so I can't just use my phone.

You can pick up a prepaid option at the airport. Other options are: wifi hotspots and friends with phones. Google your phones signal info and if it'll work in Korea (they use different tower signals).

Serious food question though: can you do hot food? A lot of Korean foods are soups. Many street foods are served at around boiling temperature. Alternatively, there's ALWAYS gimbap, which is similar to sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

You can pick up a prepaid option at the airport. Other options are: wifi hotspots and friends with phones. Google your phones signal info and if it'll work in Korea (they use different tower signals).

Serious food question though: can you do hot food? A lot of Korean foods are soups. Many street foods are served at around boiling temperature. Alternatively, there's ALWAYS gimbap, which is similar to sushi.

Yep, hot food should be fine, it's just anything spicy that could cause me to cough or like close up my throat. The surgery is for my vocal chords and it's important that I don't cough or eat any "aggressive" foods for the first few days while it initially heals.

And god I could live off of sushi so that sounds fantastic.

• Locked thread